!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Model of the year survey - N Gauge Forum best website?  (Read 646 times)

Online PLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: Model of the year survey - N Gauge Forum best website?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 06:06:53 pm »
Of course I voted for the NGF. As for the rest of the N gauge section it's a shame the steam locos, diesel locos and rolling stock are limited option wise to what someone thinks we should like, although I appreciate they have to limit it rather than have a list as long as a giant squids tentacle!
There actually aren't that many completely new models (new toolings, not just reliveries) that were released in 2017 that are not on the list. - The most obvious omissions from the N-Gauge lists for me are the NGS Thompson Full Brake and the UM Dukedog.

Reading between the lines of a few of the comments, the other criteria to make the short list appears to be if Warners/BRM were given a free-bee review sample...   :uneasy: :hmmm:

Offline Andy Y

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 07:22:36 pm »
the other criteria to make the short list appears to be if Warners/BRM were given a free-bee review sample...   :uneasy: :hmmm:

That is wholly incorrect and is an unpleasant inference; many models are included even if no review samples were provided.

However, if a manufacturer does not issue press releases, offer briefings, publish information on a website or make any other form of contact with a publisher it is quite likely they will end up on the unaware/forgotten pile.

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 07:42:37 pm »
the other criteria to make the short list appears to be if Warners/BRM were given a free-bee review sample...   :uneasy: :hmmm:

That is wholly incorrect and is an unpleasant inference; many models are included even if no review samples were provided.

However, if a manufacturer does not issue press releases, offer briefings, publish information on a website or make any other form of contact with a publisher it is quite likely they will end up on the unaware/forgotten pile.

Quote from: Andy Y on RMWEB
we had all missed it when compiling the list. Something which can happen if you haven't had a review model

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118706-british-model-railway-awards-2016/#entry2568554
Clearly suggests that a model you have reviewed is more likely to make the shortlist...  ;)  :hmmm:

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:27 pm »

Andy

I am grateful for the support provided by RMWeb for British Model Railway Awards 2017 voting, and for providing a venue for well-informed discussion. Like everywhere on the web things sometimes go off at a tangent. I just completed a similar survey for French N gauge where they attempted to include everything that was new in 2016. I had no knowledge of about three quarters of what was listed, some of which it appears sold in single figure quantities. I think that the RMWeb choices cover a good range of what was completely new. I wonder though if an item qualifies as favourite model of the year if, say, only a dozen were sold but at £2000 each.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 08:11:54 pm »
Voted. Bit of a shame UM wasn't listed there with the Dukedog and for N Gauge manufacturer of the year, but Revolution got my N Gauge manufacturer vote instead.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here