!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Manor problem  (Read 192 times)

Offline Biggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25735
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Dapol Manor problem
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »
I have a Dapol Antoney Manor which has been running well for about 18 months although always been a bit noisy.
It  has recently begun too run ragged when going forward so as I was running in a new Manor bought a Warley I thought I would give the first Manor a run too.
It got successively worse and the gave up the ghost.
The motor is running but it is not driving the loco wheels. I have checked the drive shaft and it is connected at both ends and spinning merrily but not driving the wheels.
Any ideas?  Also if I need to open up the engine body how do I do it?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure its supposed to do that

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Manor problem
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:50:21 pm »
Either one of the driveshaft sockets has cracked and is slipping on either the motor shaft or loco worm shaft, or the first drive gear has worn down within the chassis.

Both would be repairable - but getting parts is the problem.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Biggy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25735
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:04:09 am »
Thanks Al
That sounds like a big problem for a newish model that has done very few miles >:( Do you think it is worth contacting Dapol it is less than two years old?
Not sure its supposed to do that

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 08:44:49 am »
Hi, certainly worth contacting DCC supplies who are the repairs contractor for Dapol. It may be  a case of warranty repair so do not delay.

Not had a problem with my two it has to be said and one has done a fair few loops of Broadwater junction  when it was weathered and de-named for me by a fellow club member.   

Dapol have a reputation for noisy gearing, found a kato the other week that was quite a dog and a Bachmann 170 that whines but both run well so much seems to be related to gear shape I wish all ran as silently to my CJM models but a lot is perception as most of my Dapol engines are fine I do wonder how an engineering solution can be obtained.
Robert     

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:13:47 am »
Thanks Al
That sounds like a big problem for a newish model that has done very few miles >:( Do you think it is worth contacting Dapol it is less than two years old?

Yes - if it's within warranty I'd contact them.

In terms of noise - the gearing is not inherently noisy - many of my Dapol runners are close to silent - a lot of the noise comes from motor vibration rattling the tender and its wheels and transmitted through to the loco via unlubricated worm bearings. Lubricating them, running in the motor properly and sometimes lubricating the tender axles (care needed with conductive lubricant) can give very quiet, and more importantly, smooth running.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here