!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Should I keep the station/road area?

Keep it the same
8 (88.9%)
Change its current appearance
1 (11.1%)
Change the whole scene on the bridge, if so, what could the station be replaced with
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: A Layout for University  (Read 12690 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Layout for University
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2017, 02:39:55 pm »
Excellent work Alex.

Like the graffiti, but I hope that the artist responsible doesn't find their way to my layout.  ;)

My guess is that you are studying some form of design / art at Uni??

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2017, 03:54:24 pm »
Thanks for the comments, I love hearing what you all think!
Excellent work Alex.

Like the graffiti, but I hope that the artist responsible doesn't find their way to my layout.  ;)

My guess is that you are studying some form of design / art at Uni??

Thanks Keith! I am actually studying for BA in Politics and International Relations! Modelling is purely for relaxtion:)

I have done a little more on the layout today and started the bridge so will upload some photos later on today:)

Thanks,

Alex
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:55:52 pm by AR »

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2017, 09:09:09 pm »
Hello all,

I have extended the platform to its final length (the side that won't be being demolished!) and clad one of the bridge sides and made its support pillar! I think it's slowly starting to come together! I may get some track for the top level and some ballast so I can really crack on with it! As the budget is very, very tight I cannot justify the points for the lower section yet, thus the lower level track will have to wait! Anyway, on with photos:

This is the bridge so far, its not perfect but once all the scenery around it is in I think it will look markedly better:

It may be hard to notice a change here but I have (a) finished the full length of retaining walls and glued them in and (b) covered the joins with brick pillars which makes them look far more like a continuous piece!

Finally the platform has been extended to its full length and is waiting the rest of the wall behind! I will try and attempt the other platform soon as I need to attempt methods of modelling platform being dug up!

Many thanks, I look forward to your ideas and comments!

Alex

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2017, 09:43:05 pm »
Hi,
Closed platforms often had the edge flagstones tipped over and or removed leaving a recess and a broken wall top- and in a few weeks a good growth of weeds and small trees - now with NRs careful horticultural skills big trees abound- silver birch, Budlia and japanese knotweed around new works.

So you could build an other platform sans edge - perhaps a small  digger and a gang of the orange army watching the work , at best a couple of wagons being loaded alongside - no need to have loco as digger able to move them.

Robert     

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2017, 09:51:01 pm »
Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of that about the edging stones, I will give it a go! I was planning on having the track lifted to a certain point as well, enough to allow a couple of wagons. Any ideas on where to get such a small digger?

I also need to figure out how people would get to the station, it needs a plausible entrance! Also, would this sort of terminus have a platform at the end, joining the two side platforms, if that makes sense?

Thanks,

Alex

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2017, 09:20:36 am »
Hi,
Closed platforms often had the edge flagstones tipped over and or removed leaving a recess and a broken wall top- and in a few weeks a good growth of weeds and small trees - now with NRs careful horticultural skills big trees abound- silver birch, Budlia and japanese knotweed around new works.

So you could build an other platform sans edge - perhaps a small  digger and a gang of the orange army watching the work , at best a couple of wagons being loaded alongside - no need to have loco as digger able to move them.

Robert     

A couple of nice digs in your post, Robert ;D

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2017, 02:56:52 pm »
No really ! ::) ;D You should see the Snow hill- Leamington flower and plant show
!!!!!
Digger by Wiking or Prieser - good for folk aswell.

If your station was a terminal then quite plausible to have end joined, if a through then , bridge, subway and a surface planked crossing for barrows. In Urban areas a nearby bridge with steps or ramp possibly  high level building with steps down - you could have this on the otherside of bridge with steps etc "offscene and a low relief or flat station frontage. - One cheat might be mirror under the bridge makes platform look longer!     
Robert   

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2017, 03:13:37 pm »
As it is a very short platform, I do not think making it a terminus with the platform across the end will look right. Seeing that you possess or are possessed with great scenic skills you should try and give the impression that the station was bigger and has been truncated. Place a buffer stop and then have lifted track for a very short distance on the other side.

Perhaps install a canopy end on the right hand side to suggest an overall roof... Scalescenes ?

I would suggest that passenger sorry customer access would be from the old entrance further along the platform.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2017, 03:27:52 pm »
As it is a very short platform, I do not think making it a terminus with the platform across the end will look right. Seeing that you possess or are possessed with great scenic skills you should try and give the impression that the station was bigger and has been truncated. Place a buffer stop and then have lifted track for a very short distance on the other side.

Perhaps install a canopy end on the right hand side to suggest an overall roof... Scalescenes ?

I would suggest that passenger sorry customer access would be from the old entrance further along the platform.

Jerry
No really ! ::) ;D You should see the Snow hill- Leamington flower and plant show
!!!!!
Digger by Wiking or Prieser - good for folk aswell.

If your station was a terminal then quite plausible to have end joined, if a through then , bridge, subway and a surface planked crossing for barrows. In Urban areas a nearby bridge with steps or ramp possibly  high level building with steps down - you could have this on the otherside of bridge with steps etc "offscene and a low relief or flat station frontage. - One cheat might be mirror under the bridge makes platform look longer!     
Robert   

Thank you so much for your input guys, it is really appreciated! I am taking aspects of both your advice on-board (excuse the pun!). I will use the idea of a truncated platform with the buffer stop with a little track behind it and will incorporate access to the station with the scenic break through use of a girder bridge with step access down to both platforms, as shown in the very quick mock up with card:

The bridge will continue to the right (the card to hand wasn't long enough!) and will carry a road with pavement/station signs etc It will give the impression that he station used to continue the other side.

I hope this will make it all look more plausible whilst achieving the look I want!

Thanks,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2017, 08:34:43 pm »
Hello all,

I have worked on the new bridge today which acts as a scenic break. I have decided access to the station will probably be off scene as to not clutter the platform too much! The colour of the bridge is fairly vivid but I feel it makes a nice contrast with the older grey/sand coloured London brick. It is not finished yet but looks good in situ:)

Thanks,

Alex

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2017, 08:44:44 pm »
The girder bridge looks good, Alex, and is also a prime target for some graffiti ;)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2017, 08:45:43 pm »
I think the colour works well and the rusting is e  ellent.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:59 pm »
The girder bridge looks good, Alex, and is also a prime target for some graffiti ;)

Indeed, its the first thing on the list to do tomorrow! Just got to think what to write in what colour haha!

I think the colour works well and the rusting is e  ellent.

Thanks, its amazing how rust can really bring things to life!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:20 pm »
  :greatpicturessign:
Wow in time I took to blather on you built a bridge and colouring is just right. I respectfully suggest a second pier built into the retaining wall as that is a big span for a single girder given it has a building partially hung from it.- also helps the view blocker , another artistic suggestion is to mount bridge out of parallel to back scene, as you risk a rigid angle fest whereas real world is far from square.
perhaps narrow at front out to wide at rear with the hint of the station frontage.
buffer stop could be just in its shadow as you say at hinting of more beyond. I think Snow Hill in Brum ended its first period like that, and Bradford Forster sq not much better.
Robert             

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:49 pm »

Indeed, its the first thing on the list to do tomorrow! Just got to think what to write in what colour haha!

Surely the first thing would be "Alex luvs [insert name here]" and I don't mean the TV programme :no: ;)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything