!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Northallerton  (Read 43220 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Northallerton
« Reply #345 on: May 30, 2017, 04:17:13 pm »
Wow, Kirky! That's some progress :goggleeyes:
You guys have captured that autumnal feel extremely well.
Thanks Mick.
Unfortunately at the moment we're in the middle of dismantlingthe wiring to try and cure the dreaded servo twitch problem.

Cheers
Northallerton is making its next appearance at Spennymoor Model Rail Exhibition, 29/30 October 2016.

Layout: Northallerton
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: May 30, 2017, 04:57:55 pm »
Excellent work, Kirky. Loved the night time shots.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2017, 04:59:22 pm »
Cracking photo's and superb modelling - Very impressed!

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2017, 09:47:14 pm »
Is this any use? Taken from MERG's downloadable  book.
Kicking
It is well-known that most servos produce a 'kick' (an unwanted movement) when they are
first powered up. This is a feature of their internal electronics and is cleared in almost all
cases by soldering a 10k resistor between the servo's signal wire and the +5V supply line.
In some cases, it only effective if wired across the signal line and the 0V line.
Configuration of the control electronics can also minimise this effect.
Twitching
Unlike the kick, which only happens during power up, servo twitching occurs during the
running session.
This is almost always a result of external interference and can tackled by careful routing of
layout wires, or placing a capacitor between the signal wire signal and 0v to shunt away any
high frequency spikes on the signal wire.
Alternatively, the problem could be tackled at the servo controller end. If the servo needs to
keep pressure on, it requires the constant repetition of the incoming pulses. Otherwise, the
servo controller could be organised to stop sending pulses after a few seconds.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2017, 10:39:04 pm »
Awesome!  :NGaugersRule:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2017, 11:39:19 pm »
Is this any use? Taken from MERG's downloadable  book.
Kicking
It is well-known that most servos produce a 'kick' (an unwanted movement) when they are
first powered up. This is a feature of their internal electronics and is cleared in almost all
cases by soldering a 10k resistor between the servo's signal wire and the +5V supply line.
In some cases, it only effective if wired across the signal line and the 0V line.
Configuration of the control electronics can also minimise this effect.
Twitching
Unlike the kick, which only happens during power up, servo twitching occurs during the
running session.
This is almost always a result of external interference and can tackled by careful routing of
layout wires, or placing a capacitor between the signal wire signal and 0v to shunt away any
high frequency spikes on the signal wire.
Alternatively, the problem could be tackled at the servo controller end. If the servo needs to
keep pressure on, it requires the constant repetition of the incoming pulses. Otherwise, the
servo controller could be organised to stop sending pulses after a few seconds.

Thanks for that Mito.
Its not actually of use, but very kind of you to point it out.
I am a Merg member and have followed very carefully discussions on chatter and twitching. We are using Merg's Servo4 boards to operate the servos. It is well known that interference can cause twitching. There have been extensive discussions on RMWeb.
Essentially we have put our issues down to bad wiring. We have used some very dodgy techniques in order to cut corners, and learned to our cost that a bit of planning would have saved us a lot of work.

Thanks for the interest though.

Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance at Spennymoor Model Rail Exhibition, 29/30 October 2016.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2017, 07:04:13 am »
I love the picture of the level crossing and the bridge.  I passed my driving test in Northallerton and, in those days, (1963) that was the main road into Northallerton from Leeming Bar.  The traffic lights under the bridge were the only traffic lights in the town, so couldn't be used for the test and the hill start must have been on a 1 in 200, so it was a good place to take the test.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2017, 08:54:28 am »
I love the picture of the level crossing and the bridge.  I passed my driving test in Northallerton and, in those days, (1963) that was the main road into Northallerton from Leeming Bar.  The traffic lights under the bridge were the only traffic lights in the town, so couldn't be used for the test and the hill start must have been on a 1 in 200, so it was a good place to take the test.
Hi Laurence
Many many thanks for that. We really love it when we get people telling us their stories of Northallerton. At our last open day we had someone who said he used to have one of the allotments which was great, and he said he remembered  lots of features of the railway from times gone by.
In 1963 (the year of my birth incidently) the dairy was rail served and we have some lovely shots of this from the air. Interestingly it was rail served from the upper mainline rather than the lower avoiding lines. Sadly the dairy is no longer there. They knocked it down about five years ago. I believe it has houses on that site now.
Cheers
Kirky

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50