!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated  (Read 8321 times)

Offline mr magnolia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
Re: Deadwood layout - unabridged and illustrated
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
Hi Webbo - hope you are well?

I always forget that the layout info is buried 'online' from the American railroad threads, but Ive found you again.  Nice job on the motel.  meantime, Ive been driving up and down the M9 a bit recently and thinking of you. (ah..)

Only as I was wondering how you had got along with finding an excuse to include your refinery kit, or indeed if you had just given up?  Reason i ask is this image here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0768307,-3.8758931,3a,75y,105.59h,76.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy08b73uqbTL_XM0QzrAaMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

this is actually a precast concrete yard (Plean Precast, Stirling), but it looms our from the countryside just like a small refinery kit seems to.  I'll try and find an image looking from the M9 as thats where you get the greatest contrast between green fields and sudden smoking plant!

edit: oh look, here is a google image from the motorway, that completely fails to capture the apparent largeness and sudden unexpectedness of the plant as you drive along:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0671289,-3.8751338,3a,69y,11.63h,94.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYX49OQH5JYjyIvKUVpRBaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Donald
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:55:40 pm by mr magnolia »

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2017, 11:29:52 pm »
Thanks Donald

You have provided me with encouragement. Things like refineries are best out of town and mine will be (maybe) on the edge of town. After all, who wants a smelly, smoky industrial complex in town? Having asked this, I quite like the things so it wouldn't bother me.

I haven't made any decisions on whether the refinery is to be or not to be. I'm sort of hoping that this decision will be delivered from above or in my dreams (as with Dats and his Foamcore). Basically this is procrastination borne of cowardice about making a decision.

Webbo

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2017, 06:23:21 am »
Hi Webbo - hope you are well?

I always forget that the layout info is buried 'online' from the American railroad threads, but Ive found you again.  Nice job on the motel.  meantime, Ive been driving up and down the M9 a bit recently and thinking of you. (ah..)

Only as I was wondering how you had got along with finding an excuse to include your refinery kit, or indeed if you had just given up?  Reason i ask is this image here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0768307,-3.8758931,3a,75y,105.59h,76.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sy08b73uqbTL_XM0QzrAaMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

this is actually a precast concrete yard (Plean Precast, Stirling), but it looms our from the countryside just like a small refinery kit seems to.  I'll try and find an image looking from the M9 as thats where you get the greatest contrast between green fields and sudden smoking plant!

edit: oh look, here is a google image from the motorway, that completely fails to capture the apparent largeness and sudden unexpectedness of the plant as you drive along:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.0671289,-3.8751338,3a,69y,11.63h,94.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYX49OQH5JYjyIvKUVpRBaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Donald

The second image has you say Donald doesn’t give a great perspective of the refinery, but the one from the railway line is great, maybe Webbo could do his by a line just outside of town.  :beers:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2017, 06:32:45 am »
The second image has you say Donald doesn’t give a great perspective of the refinery, but the one from the railway line is great, maybe Webbo could do his by a line just outside of town.  :beers:
I sat go for it.  You've done a lot of work and just outside town would be ideal.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2017, 08:14:41 pm »
Thanks Donald

You have provided me with encouragement. Things like refineries are best out of town and mine will be (maybe) on the edge of town. After all, who wants a smelly, smoky industrial complex in town? Having asked this, I quite like the things so it wouldn't bother me.

I haven't made any decisions on whether the refinery is to be or not to be. I'm sort of hoping that this decision will be delivered from above or in my dreams (as with Dats and his Foamcore). Basically this is procrastination borne of cowardice about making a decision.

Webbo

Go for it Webbo, you know deep down that you want a refinery. :D

Great work with the walther kit, excellent painting. Thanks for the tip regarding the painting, not the 38 deg bit, but the lack of adhesion of acrylics. I have detailed mine with enamel paint and need to add some weathering. I was thinking of doing this directly with acrylics, re-plan required me thinks.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
155% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything