!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Should I keep the station/road area?

Keep it the same
6 (100%)
Change its current appearance
0 (0%)
Change the whole scene on the bridge, if so, what could the station be replaced with
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: A Layout for University  (Read 1430 times)

Offline AR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
A Layout for University
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:43:56 pm »
Hello all,

Some of you may recognise me as the guy from the Flordon Heritage Railway thread!

As I am away at university for multiple months at a time, I have decided to start a small layout project separate from Flordon which is slowly but surely developing at home (400+ miles away)!

As yet I have the baseboard dimensions (100cmx25cm) and two possible track plans as below:

The rear line will be a much reduce station that once had a return loop but this has since been removed, leaving the single track behind. The old line will be represented by overgrown sleepers etc.

The front set of sidings will be storage and stabling facilities for the mainline (off scene) with a very overgrown look as I want to experiment with different techniques. The photo below helps illustrate the feel I want to go for:

In the second image I have added a head shunt to allow a small industry (either current or former) access to the railway. This may be modelled as derelict for scenic interest, leaving the yard available for loco storage between duties!

Well, that was the intro to the new layout! Despite not finalising the trackplan, I will build the boards very soon as I can only allow myself that amount of space so the track has to work around it!

I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks,

Alex

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: A Layout for University
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:50:30 pm »
I think V2 with the headshunt will prove more interesting, Alex.
Are you intending this as a static diorama or will you be running trains into the scenery, presumably from L to R?

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:54:30 pm »
Thanks, I am definitely leaning towards that option as its going to be fully operational. The grey block is going to be a bridge with a gravel track running down to a sleeper crossing to the yard area with network rail vans and all!

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:17:43 pm »
I'd also opt for V2.
Good luck with the build but please don't let it interfere withyour studies!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Trepol Bay :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1392
Port Perran :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1004

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:30:46 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys! I will ensure my copious essay writing comes first but it will be nice having something small to work on as a break when needed! I have worked on a baseboard plan and imported the track plan into the design and thus a 3D design is created:

Thanks guys, comments always welcome, either good or constructive!

Alex

Online Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:49:28 pm »
Mine's a vote for V2 as well.

How did you do the 3D design?
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:25 pm »
Hi ,
Have a think about operating - will you be front operating - visually better I guess but would think you will find backscene a pain blocking yard - if it were to lift out it might work better for you.

I really like the plan and the ability to shuffle stock about will aid the mental powers for study... well that was my excuse many years ago!

Robert     

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:13 pm »
Mine's a vote for V2 as well.

How did you do the 3D design?

Thanks, I think thats settled then:)

I used a mixture of Anyrail for the trackplan then Sketchup for the 3D design, together they create quite a handy tool! However, I still use sketching as a way of envisaging my ideas!

Hi ,
Have a think about operating - will you be front operating - visually better I guess but would think you will find backscene a pain blocking yard - if it were to lift out it might work better for you.

I really like the plan and the ability to shuffle stock about will aid the mental powers for study... well that was my excuse many years ago!

Robert     

Thanks for that, I will have a think about it and have a play around with some ideas:)

Thanks,

Alex
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:54:20 pm by AR »

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 09:00:50 pm »
I have been looking up the wood needed for the baseboard.....it adds up to the student-friendly sum of 10! I will need screws/glue as well but I am still pretty pleased with how affordable it will be!

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:07:15 pm »
Have you considered dense insulating foam and art cardboard. might get free offcut from building site?
cheers
Robert

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:11:27 pm »
I may have a look around, thanks. I have a good shop nearby that does literally everything so they may have something of use!

If not, I will take a walk to the local B and Q and buy wood as I think they cut it for free, at least a certain amount of cuts! Annoyingly, I have no hammer at uni so will have to invest in one haha! Unless anyone else has an easy way to make lead holes for small screws?

Cheers,

Alex
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:12:30 pm by AR »

Online Nick

• N Gauge Society Number: 22901
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:19:49 pm »

I used a mixture of Anyrail for the trackplan then Sketchup for the 3D design, together they create quite a handy tool! However, I still use sketching as a way of envisaging my ideas!

Thanks - I could see the trackplan had come out of AnyRail, but wondered about the 3D bit. I just had a quick look on the Sketchup site, but was bit confused by the versions. Is there a free one?

Hi ,

I've come to the same conclusion for my layout - I want a backscene, but I think it's going to be a pain to operate with it there sometimes, because my layout is against a wall. I'm just about to set off trying to install something. I've bought some brass channelling and I intend slotting thin modelling ply into it. I'm a little worried about it's structural solidity, but we'll see.

Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 09:20:26 pm »
I may have a look around, thanks. I have a good shop nearby that does literally everything so they may have something of use!

If not, I will take a walk to the local B and Q and buy wood as I think they cut it for free, at least a certain amount of cuts! Annoyingly, I have no hammer at uni so will have to invest in one haha! Unless anyone else has an easy way to make lead holes for small screws?

Cheers,

Alex

B & Q still do a certain number of cuts free, I availed myself of the service on Saturday

Regards,

Alex

Offline AR

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 09:24:18 pm »

Thanks - I could see the trackplan had come out of AnyRail, but wondered about the 3D bit. I just had a quick look on the Sketchup site, but was bit confused by the versions. Is there a free one?

Hi ,

I've come to the same conclusion for my layout - I want a backscene, but I think it's going to be a pain to operate with it there sometimes, because my layout is against a wall. I'm just about to set off trying to install something. I've bought some brass channelling and I intend slotting thin modelling ply into it. I'm a little worried about it's structural solidity, but we'll see.

There should indeed be a free version. I think it is run by a company called Trimble now so maybe try searching them?

Cheers,

Alex

B & Q still do a certain number of cuts free, I availed myself of the service on Saturday

Regards,

Alex

Thanks for confirming that! Nice to see a fellow Alex haha!

Cheers,

Alex

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »
I like version 2 as well. Could you fit a run round in to give a bit more flexibility?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here