!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Weathering Wagons.  (Read 613 times)

Offline pmcglone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22889
    • Awards
Weathering Wagons.
« on: January 08, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »
I have recently weathered some wagons. I used DCC weathering powders. Following advice I then sprayed the wagons with Humbrol model spray varnish to seal. I then noticed that this removed the weathering powders. What's gone wrong.Someone said that you should leave the powders on 24 hours to harden before spraying to seal. Can I weather the wagons again.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Weathering Wagons.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:25:58 pm »
I have recently weathered some wagons. I used DCC weathering powders. Following advice I then sprayed the wagons with Humbrol model spray varnish to seal. I then noticed that this removed the weathering powders. What's gone wrong.Someone said that you should leave the powders on 24 hours to harden before spraying to seal. Can I weather the wagons again.

Might the air pressure from the can blown the weathering powders away?

Do you have an airbrush? Gently blowing on some varnish might work better?

Cheers, NeMo

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:37:02 pm »
Or leave them unsealed? No good if you're handling them regularly, but I think the textures are better without varnish.

Offline pmcglone

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:34 am »
Agreed on that ...I have done a few and not sealed them and they do look better..Maybe a VERY VERY  light spray with varnish is the answer

Online Farmer chap

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »
I've weathered a good number of my wagons using MIG powders, I use Humbrol matt acrylic varnish

as a base before hand, this allows the powder to get a better purchase on the model.

I don't like to seal the wagons afterwards as i also think the finished effect is better without.

A good brushing takes off the loose dust.

Ian.

Offline pmcglone

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 12:14:41 pm »
Thanks Ian..noted  :thankyousign:

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:41:00 am »
I've weathered a good number of my wagons using MIG powders, I use Humbrol matt acrylic varnish

as a base before hand, this allows the powder to get a better purchase on the model.

I don't like to seal the wagons afterwards as i also think the finished effect is better without.

A good brushing takes off the loose dust.

Ian.

Great tip   :thankyousign:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 03:18:46 pm »
Varnishes, even matt ones, tend to tone down the effect of weathering powders. I have a theory that this is because part of the effect of weathering is due to the fine powder having a different reflectivity than the surrounding paint which we perceive as part of the weathering. If you seal with a varnish, this part of the weathering effect is lost as the whole area is returned to a uniform level of reflectivity.

One solution is to over-apply the powder initially in the expectation that the sealing will tone it down. This is where some cheap wagons from the bargain bins at model shows make great fodder for practice before you apply your skills to the latest RTR offerings. ;)

I have heard that some people seal very successfully with cheap unscented hairspray although I have not tried this myself. My worry about leaving the weathering unsealed is that handling would cause it to wear off over time.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 05:16:28 pm »
Has anyone tried applying the varnish/hairspray first, then the powder?

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 05:55:03 pm »
I did try applying a thin coat of clear lacquer prior to weathering, admittedly it was a run of coal Staithes rather then wagons BUT had catastrophic results 😡 the powders clumped together and the brushes got ruined you end up with mess everywhere and literally just wasting materials. It was so bad I ended up just binning the set rather then attempt to clean up and re weather.

I have purchased a couple of renumbered locos through TMC and it would be interesting to hear from professional weathering persons as to their advice RE weathering powders and sealing them for handling

Online keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 05:59:15 pm »
I wasn't thinking of using a brush, rather of spraying first, then sprinking on the powder and shaking the excess off.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 06:04:23 pm »
Like Karhedron suggests plenty of scrap play things to practice, everyone will work out their own technique and preferred way. Even following brilliant step by step guides we can still manage to make a pigs ear of things but when you get the first one exactly as you want it it is a brilliant moment of satisfaction and then the frustration when you try to get number 2 just right  :doh:

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:54:39 pm »
Of course you don't have to use powders, an alternative approach is dry brushing and the use of washes.

For example:

Note: No powders were harmed in the weathering of this wagon :)

Cheers
Dave

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 08:58:02 pm »
Well I'd be happy to have them on my layout, looking more like photos on a heritage line than an n gauge bogie 👍👍👍

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 06:25:00 am »
Of course you don't have to use powders, an alternative approach is dry brushing and the use of washes.

For example:

Note: No powders were harmed in the weathering of this wagon :)

Cheers
Dave

Great photo of some great weathering.     :thumbsup:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
155% 
March Donations