!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: farish bachman class 46 bogey  (Read 287 times)

Offline stevelockeridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
farish bachman class 46 bogey
« on: January 05, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
hi I need a replacement bogey for my classs 46 .I was a bit clumsy and dropped it the bogey came off and the retaining part that connects the bodey to the loco is broken .it still runs but very loose

Offline tunneroner61

• Awards
Re: farish bachman class 46 bogey
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:11:27 pm »
Bachmann have a spares service - the phone number is on their web site. Many people on here also swear (niceley) by Bob Russell at BR Lines as a provider of spares. He has a web site easily found by google.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:01:30 am »
If you aren't successful anywhere else I have a couple of spare mouldings that the gears and wheels from your damaged bogie could be transplanted into.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:10 pm »
hi

how do you completely remove the bogie on these locos?  does it just pull off like on the newer models?

what is the retaining part that connects the body to the loco?

cheers

tim

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:20:52 pm »
what is the retaining part that connects the body to the loco?

Un-clicks at the back (by the fuel tank first) and then pull away towards the front. No screws. Just clips at the front and back of the bogie.

FWIW, the bogie can be glued with Araldite or similar. Superglue doesn't work so well. I had to cut the bogie apart, file away a bit of the 'width', and the re-attach the side parts when I wanted to narrow the bogies a bit (to reduce how much they stick out from the sides).

Cheers, NeMo

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:29:01 pm »
what about removing the whole bogie tower though?   does that just pull out?

i'm not familiar with older style chassis...

cheers

tim

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:59 pm »
Hi,
The bogie is retained by motor chassis side pieces - there are 3 screws that clamp the metal parts - and have a tiny insulating  bush.  There are plastic square nuts that fit in recesses- all easy to undo. It the rebuilding that can be fun.
However to replace bogie side frame it is not necessary to dismantle anything - take body off to save scratching it . As you have found the bogie clips on at rear and two lugs at front locate it around the coupler. The replacement is first located on lugs and avoiding mistrapping pickup strips the end clip will with only a little pressure locate around the lug on back of wheelset frame.

The fun part of remantling a split frame chassis is using all three hands to aline bogies, shafts bushes and keep motor spring caps in contact with metal sides and then screwing it together so it runs freely and bogies can rotate and move up and down to accommodate gradient changes.
I end up with  couple of sitirrers and some tape to get chassis block up a bit to allow side frames to sit on worktop and use tamiya  masking tape  to keep back nuts in place. There is a right tightness as too tight and bogies tower binds and so will not rotate and also at a worst case can bend and trap drive shaft.
Robert         

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:50 pm »
ah ok thanks Robert for reply

that makes sense now - only split chassis locos I have are peaks so I'm not familiar at all but your description makes sense

I think I'll send it to a repair man though as reassembling things is not my strong point! dismantling things I am great at though!

all the best

Tim

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50