!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Running these locos in?  (Read 1006 times)

Herzel

• Trade Count: (0)
Running these locos in?
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:56:16 pm »

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:09:19 am by Herzel »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Running these locos in?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »
The low level loops on my main 8' x 4' layout have small code 55 points in the fiddle yards and large code 55 points on  the scenic side and I think it is important with new locos to run them through points.
Using my Morley Vortrack controller and setting speed at what I would call a brisk but not fast pace, I run the loco without load for 15 minutes in one direction and then 15 minutes in reverse. I then pick the loco up, turn it 180 degrees and repeat the process. In this way it gets run in all possible directions. I never run locos beyond what I consider to be their prototypical pace so prefer goods locos to have good slow running capability and crack express locos a decent fast pace.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:05:15 pm »
10-15 minutes each way at half speed works for me. Don't thrash it.  It should be pretty obvious by then if there is a manufacturing fault and/or whether or not the mechanism has settled in.

Be very sparing with the oil and grease, just a bare minimum.  So many locos I used to see as informal "loco doctor" at my old club exhibitions would come in dripping with 3-in-1, and would need a strip down and clean out to restore them to health.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:05:33 pm »
Run in on DC. 1 hour in each direction at moderate speed (half?) and pulling no stock.
Nice also if you can use figure eight track to run loco on turns in both left/right hand. Or alternatively turn loc round for half the running time on an oval track.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 05:06:19 pm »
Plonk on track, run round in circles for a while (in my case using a Kato controller), stop, flip the loco round and repeat process. Once this has finished you'll know whether you need to send it back to the retailer...
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 05:09:09 pm »
Wow. 4 crossed posts in a minute or so - must be a record!!
 :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:09:50 pm »

Be very sparing with the oil and grease, just a bare minimum.  So many locos I used to see as informal "loco doctor" at my old club exhibitions would come in dripping with 3-in-1, and would need a strip down and clean out to restore them to health.

:oopssign:
I missed that bit from my post. I only lube if stated to do so in the instructions and only use the Gaugemaster GM619 precision oiler.
Note - on steamers I always apply a very light oiling to the coupling rods/motion, especially for tender drive. I find it tends to avoid lock ups.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 05:32:18 pm »

:oopssign:
I missed that bit from my post. I only lube if stated to do so in the instructions and only use the Gaugemaster GM619 precision oiler.
Note - on steamers I always apply a very light oiling to the coupling rods/motion, especially for tender drive. I find it tends to avoid lock ups.
If "running in" 2nd hand locos, a piece of tissue paper dangled against the visible splashes on the underside after every lap will help soak up the excess oil...

The only motive power units I've ever oiled are a) new Dapol ones as per instructions, and b) some very ancient Kato multiple units which were very "dry".
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 06:08:41 pm »
Seems obvious it will be on a circle of track / continuous run but....

with pure DC or with a PWM controller?

In the nicest possible way you really do overthink this. I've never in my life heard of PWM in 25 years of railway modelling. You seem to mention it in virtually every post. Get bit of track and controller. Stick loco on track. Run at medium speed. Reverse. Done.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:20:16 pm »
I think running in can be over thought too!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:47:50 pm »
It's certainly worth while running in.  You get to make sure there are no bits waiting to work loose, the motor and gearing are smooth and you get to stir up any lubrication that may have been used (or which you've just applied). It's quite common for an initially noisy model to quieten down with a little use, and if it doesn't and you're not happy then it can go back.

PWM is common, from the point of view that every DCC decoder I know of uses it to drive the motor. It's by far the easiest way for digital electronics to control motor speed.

With DC I would imagine that any controller with feedback probably uses PWM.

I believe there are some concerns expressed with low frequency PWM and some of the recent small coreless motors used in some models, but I've not experienced any problems with my feedback controllers and any of the N models I run.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:24:04 pm »
DCC decoders these days quite commonly allow you to select PWM of 16kHz or even 32kHz.

I don't think my old KPC feedback controllers run at that sort of frequency, though I understand they are suitable for coreless motors.  I did make a little mod to my controllers to allow the feedback to be switched out.  I have a couple of Kato locos that are noticeably "happier" with feedback off, but generally I run with the feedback on.

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:04 pm »
Like many above I run in forwards and backwards on an oval of track.  Then turn 180 degrees and repeat.  So loco/DMU power car  has run and turned in all possible directions.  I aim to do 30 mins in each permutation, in other words 2 hours in total.  Keep the cats out of the room as well.  They attacked one of my Duchesses once - mercifully no damage done, not even to the loco!    No load and moderate speed.  As Dapol instruct some lubrication first, I do that on them.  Most items have run better afterwards than before - esp slow speed crawling.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything