!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: walking  (Read 274 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
walking
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:01:30 am »
Well I am pleased as punch, I completed over 1000 milles last year walking. I had bought the Country walking magazine around April last year and saw the challenge and decided to take it on. It got a bit close, I was 20 miles off last wednesday but I managed it easy in the end. Most of the walks are short, around 5 or 6 miles with the odd 9 or 10 thrown in now and then and some imbertween, I just love it when the weather is dry.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: walking
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 01:07:44 am »
My wife and I and a few neighbours walked from Epping to Leytonstone on new years day, just over 12 miles. I hadn't done that kind of distance since I was  in the TA!

Regards,

Alex

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 01:41:37 am »
I'm a big fan of walking too. In the mornings, the dog is at me to go out first thing in the morning whether I'm feeling like it or not. Usually do 4 or so miles a day so my total must be somewhere around 1000 miles like yours Chris. I have other bad habits in life so I look at my walks as a means of slowing down my descent into decrepitude.

Webbo

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:20:03 am »
I'm also a great walking fan - mind you  living in the Yorkshire Dales with two Labradors I don't have much choice!

Our basic daily stint is 2 - 3 miles and we are lucky to be able to do a variety of walks from our front door. We can extend the distances by linking shorter walks and our chocolate lab has a personal best, to date, of just over 15 miles.

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:20:34 am »
I'm also a great walking fan - mind you  living in the Yorkshire Dales with two Labradors I don't have much choice!

Our basic daily stint is 2 - 3 miles and we are lucky to be able to do a variety of walks from our front door. We can extend the distances by linking shorter walks and our chocolate lab has a personal best, to date, of just over 15 miles.

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:22:42 am »
That doesn't make it 6 miles a day with a PB for Ella of 30 miles - I somehow managed to post the same thing twice. 
Oops!

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:22 am »
Mountain walking is my passion, one I first discovered only when I was almost 30. I became obsessed with it and soon had walked all across Cumbria, Wales and parts of Scotland.

Poor health since 1990 has somewhat reduced my achievements, and currently a very short walk along the Lincolnshire coast is about all I can manage. But I still dream of mountain tops, and holidays to lands where cable-cars take me to the heights are sometimes managed.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 10:10:06 am »
Thanks for the comments everyone.I it is nice to know others enjoy the same pursuit, out in the fresh air with our lovely English weather.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 10:42:18 am »
When I lived in Northampton in the 1980s a group of us used to go fell walking, mainly in the Republic of Ireland. Croagh Patrick, St.Brendan and Carrantouhill have all been visited by my walking boots. Sadly as the years rolled by the group fell apart owing to illnesses, death and moving away.
I won't forget the wag who rented us a bungalow just outside Killarney and ran his own house off the money we put in our electric meter. Little did he know we had a nuclear engineer with us who promptly reversed the situation :-X

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 04:23:48 pm »
We love walking and are spoiled for choice down here - countryside and coastal.
Indeed from our cottage we can walk to both North Coast (about 5 miles) and South Coast (about 6) without touching any roads which is great.
We try to do at least 10 miles a week (probably more in Spring and Summer) - keeps us fit !
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: 26722
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 04:37:15 pm »
Inspired by this thread I have just walked "around the block", which out here on the windswept tundra fens of Lincolnshire, is about 2 miles. That's probably the furthest I've walked in some time, and definitely the furthest this year!  :D

Like you @lil chris I shall endeavour to walk a thousand miles this year, but quite what I'll do in Latvia, Spain, or say, northern Italy at the end of my walk is, as yet, unclear. :)

Personally, I blame the Proclaimers for the entire idea. :)

P.S. I'm totally cream crackered now. :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
July Donations

Advertise Here