!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Help on design of new layout  (Read 305 times)

Offline mojo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Help on design of new layout
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:32:45 pm »
A happy New Year to all our members with a request for help.

I wish to design a new layout and have certain ideas from the almost complete existing layout but feel that further brains could improve on it!
I do not wish to divulge what the existing one looks like for fear of unduly influencing other input, however here is a list of my "must haves" and "must nots".
Have:-
A 4 line main track +2 line secondary Junction.
Countryside scenery, possibly a small village, farms etc.
A train to be hidden after going one way before being reversed to return after a suitable time interval.
Maximum train length is 4 feet.
D.C control.

Must Not:-
No main line stations (rural scenery only).
No gradients (preferably).

Board length to be 13 feet x 2 feet wide preferably, although this could incorporate wider end sections to alleviate 9" radius curves so 10" minimum radius.
Peco track and to incorporate a 16 track traverser already existing.
Manually operated points by wire in tube.
Mostly Farish stock for the LNER period up to 1940 with mainly express passenger and freight with some local goods traffic.
Mostly one loco in steam at a time.
Hidden sections to be accessible for cleaning and derailments.

I am sure that I will have missed other requirements but hope that the above information will inspire some helpful input.

Maurice C.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Help on design of new layout
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 10:24:12 pm »
My first thought is a 2 track dogbone set up such that you have slightly larger end boards giving decent radii curves with the 2 lines becoming 4 track in the 2ft width giving plenty of room for the scenics either side. The end curves could be hidden under detachable tunnels (for cleaning/rerailing access when necessary). Not sure how the traverser could be fitted in, though :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here