!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Shredded Wheat Coaches detailing interior, glazing and re-engineering  (Read 655 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
The Farish Shredded Wheat train dates to 1989/1990 and was designed to be a static display. The carriages were based upon existing mouldings however simplified and made of cheaper semi transparent yellow with no glazing or  interior. Here I have created an interior from printed card and glazed before refitting the roof. Ive also the LNER teak versions so have based my interior on the stated 'first' and 'third' compartments as labelled on the LNER doors. Not knowing any colours I have chosen thirds as timber partitions and red seats; for firsts I have chosen light blue partitions with darker blue seats. the end result gets rid of the 'see through' cheap visuals and gives a resounding successful looking rake. Ive also re-engineered the Shredded Wheat Loco, more details later. The artwork is all my own handiwork. The couplings are Peco Elsie as detailed elsewhere on the forum. I hope that the pictures are self explanatory in basics. One key point is to strip the weight out and flatten it, (they are naturally bent in the punching process), ive used proper Cellotape double sided on re-assembly. Wheels are proper metal Farish metalrimmed Coach Wheels from my spares box. Kind regards from Fred.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:30:38 pm by Fredastaire, Reason: minor correction »

Online Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Farish Weetabix Coaches detailing interior, glazing and re-engineering
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 02:37:51 pm »
Great job and very interesting the choice to leave them in their Shredded Wheat livery. It probably means they'll be unique as the only set to stay in the promo livery and be usable as actual rolling stock :)

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:04:31 pm »
Nice work @Fredastaire  :greatpicturessign:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26734
  • 2mm Association Number: 5172
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:29:08 pm »
What a smashing little job, I always wondered if anyone would have a go at messing around with those!  :thumbsup:
'Keep it country!'

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
If anyone wants to follow and needs a print off my artwork for any of the Graham Farish 4-wheel coaches interiors please feel free to pm me.
I'm now working on mk1 rfo restaurant and fo interiors
Kind regards from Fred
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:19:47 am by Fredastaire, Reason: corrections »

Online JohnnyMcCoyT9

• N Gauge Society Number: 26859
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:08:19 pm »
Brilliant renovation, gunna have to do up a few of my Weetabix coaches like this. Would be nice to have them running rather than hiding in the background as a static display.
Hawthorn Green passenger service, you're approaching the Strong Country.

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 08:01:53 am »
That is an amazing piece of work, a one off that no one else has. Brilliant. :thumbsup:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
Running on Derby Mickleover Club track 4th January

Online Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26734
  • 2mm Association Number: 5172
    • Awards
Looks great, nice achievement!  ;)
'Keep it country!'

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Running on Derby Mickleover Club track 4th January

Really love those coaches.       :thumbsup:

:A1Tornado:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
Thanks guys for the comments; there are always Shredded coaches on Ebay, and often the Shredded Locos. The more difficult bit is getting the starter set Loco as a donor for its chassis. Most people buy the coaches to re-livery then respray into Maroon etc as the original Farish 4-wheelers command too much money. I'm keeping mine as a proper Shredded PR set, if only I could find an original cereal packet......
Question for other 4-wheeler Farish Coach owners - if you have any, please would you let me know what the compartment 'class' numbers are on the doors. Ive also LNER which have class 3,3,1,3,3 for the coach and 3,1,1 for the brake. I'm wondering if there are any other combinations as now is the time for me to make any other artworks combination before I forget the 'how to'. I'm current working on Farish First Open FO interiors and then will follow with Restaurant RFO, both of which are other Farish coaches which came from the factory with missing interiors. When Ive cracked it there will be a dedicated post specific to them.
Kind regards from Fred

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Question for other 4-wheeler Farish Coach owners - if you have any, please would you let me know what the compartment 'class' numbers are on the doors.

Hello Fred

The S&DJR 4-wheel brake is all third class:

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
Hello CarriageShed, does your Coach already have an interior? i'm sure I can see something inside the windows, ie did Farish make any interiors or is it home constructed?
Kind regards from Fred

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
Thanks for this thread Fred.

I have several Shredded Wheat coaches and locos. I also went down the road of trying to get info out of Farish when they were in Poole. I remember being told it wasn't possible to motorise the loco. I went down the same road as you when The Gaffer became available and have that set lying around somewhere.

Life took over and I didn't pursue it any farther however you have now shown how this is achievable and for this a big  :thankyousign:.

In days to come maybe I'll get around to doing something similar, after all I also now possess a Dremel.

Great tutorial.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Hello CarriageShed, does your Coach already have an interior? i'm sure I can see something inside the windows, ie did Farish make any interiors or is it home constructed?
Kind regards from Fred

Hi Fred

Apologies for the late reply. I don't come here very often these days.

Prior to upgrading it was a standard Farish 4-wheeler (it's now a 6-wheeler), and I retained the normal plastic seating unit but added a passenger or two.

Full details here:
http://www.ngauge.historyfiles.co.uk/FeaturesNGauge/workbenchSDJRCarriage01.htm

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £35.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £46.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
131% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything