!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: BR Late crest GW 45xx  (Read 883 times)

Offline LostBoy30A

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: BR Late crest GW 45xx
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 02:40:03 pm »
Now, another livery issue. In the GW guise that she's in now as 4523, her tank tops are black. Did BR just use their Brunswick green all over, except perhaps on the running plate areas and in front of the smoke box? I'm pretty confident that the cab roofs were always black.., but who knows..?
How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 02:49:45 pm »
Brilliant, ten0G. Railway Roundabout is always good, and thanks to you I don't have to sift through all that footage.

Thanks.  Another one for you from my History, in colour, may be of some use.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:20:25 pm by ten0G, Reason: Wrong link posted, sorry. »

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 04:49:18 pm »
Now, another livery issue. In the GW guise that she's in now as 4523, her tank tops are black.

That's the first time I've come across this issue! 

Have to say I've no idea, but always assumed they'd be GW green until now.   :confused1:

Offline LostBoy30A

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 08:16:56 pm »
Now, another livery issue. In the GW guise that she's in now as 4523, her tank tops are black.

Have to say I've no idea, but always assumed they'd be GW green until now.   :confused1:
It is indeed, a tricky business. There's just not enough overhead views available to see any distinction. GW green is lighter than BR.

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 09:12:30 pm »

It is indeed, a tricky business. There's just not enough overhead views available to see any distinction. GW green is lighter than BR.

All I can go by are the instructions for painting the Airfix prairie kit in the early 60s in BR Brunswick green which did not state the tank tops were black.  Other than that, I can't help, sorry. 

Perhaps @Karhedron can please shed some light on the matter. 

Offline LostBoy30A

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 09:35:55 pm »

All I can go by are the instructions for painting the Airfix prairie kit in the early 60s in BR Brunswick green which did not state the tank tops were black.  Other than that, I can't help, sorry. 

Perhaps @Karhedron can please shed some light on the matter.
I think that's fair enough advice, thanks anyway. :)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 11:19:09 pm »
I think that the Priairies retained black tank tops in BR green livery but I am struggling to find photographic confirmation as this is an awkward angle and the tank tops tended to attract soot at the best of times.

I will keep looking.  :read:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 09:37:37 am »
I think that the Priairies retained black tank tops in BR green livery but I am struggling to find photographic confirmation as this is an awkward angle and the tank tops tended to attract soot at the best of times.

I will keep looking.  :read:

Thanks, Karhedron. 

My recent purchase of BR std 82001 is a flat-top in lined BR green with ferrets and a WR shed code so I assume it was painted by the WR.  The tank tops are green.  Would this have been treated any differently from the 45xx class? 

Also, I have a Farish 'N' 1970s 61xx in similar livery which has green tank tops. 

My 45xx isn't a problem in BR black, but I was looking for BR green one as well.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 10:19:36 am »
Yes, 82001 was a WR engine although the SR also painted some of their 3MTs green so there was some variation..

As to whether the Standards were painted differently to ex-GWR engines, without some good photos it is hard to say. The WR was rather stubborn in abandoning their Wiltshire Wisdom and many classes were not painted as per the official BR rulebook. Prairies tanks in the 1950s were a perfect example of this. As mixed-traffic engines, they should have been lined black but with only a few exceptions, the Priairies were painted plain black. This was because the GWR didn't apply lining to "lesser" engines like tank locos.

Here is a photo of a large Prairie in BR green livery. If you can make out the colour of the tank tops under the grime then you have better eyes than me. ;) I think they look the same shade as the smoke box which would imply they are black but I would not bet much money on it.  :hmmm:

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:32 am »

My recent purchase of BR std 82001 is a flat-top in lined BR green with ferrets and a WR shed code so I assume it was painted by the WR.  The tank tops are green.  Would this have been treated any differently from the 45xx class? 

That's odd. My 82001 has black tank tops.
Bob

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 10:44:38 am »
I must admit, this photo of 82001 appears to show black tank tops too.

Bachmann also paint the tank tops on their BR green prairies black which is consistent.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:49:08 am by Karhedron »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 11:02:14 am »
I must admit, this photo of 82001 appears to show black tank tops too.

Bachmann also paint the tank tops on their BR green prairies black which is consistent.

My late crest 3MT 82041 (372-329) also has black tank tops

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 11:05:38 am »
I have the GWR painting standards and the tops of side tanks (Praires, 5600s, 1400/5800) were definitely painted black in the 30s and 40s. I have not been able to find the equivalent standards for the BR period but I would not be at all surprised if they were painted in "GWR fashion".

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:36 am »
That's odd. My 82001 has black tank tops.
Bob

Thanks, I've just checked mine, and you're right - hadn't even noticed!   :-[

It's quite easy to see in the photos, but wasn't obvious when I ran it.  Admittedly, only a 15-min running-in & quick haulage test in each direction before being put away again, but light was very poor at the time. 

And I did go to Specsavers! 

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 12:02:37 pm »
I have the GWR painting standards and the tops of side tanks (Praires, 5600s, 1400/5800) were definitely painted black in the 30s and 40s. I have not been able to find the equivalent standards for the BR period but I would not be at all surprised if they were painted in "GWR fashion".

Thanks.  That's another reason to not to repair the 61xx!   

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
April Donations

Advertise Here