!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Back to Cornwall in the "70s"  (Read 1703 times)

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Back to Cornwall in the "70s"
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 02:29:51 pm »
Re D7000s in Cornwall I have a reference book (dated 1973) which gives the following information.

First the good news - 7002 was recorded in the county in 1962, 7083 (1971) and 7084 (1972)  :)  :beers:

Now the bad news - Not one of them was one of Beyer Peacock's finest Type 3s!  :'(

In fact they were 22" gauge locos employed on an underground industrial site near Camborne.

I was actually looking to see if any Class 14 had been employed in industrial use in the county after BR service but sadly none were recorded.
In truth only 3 ex BR locos were shown in industrial service at that date, all at Fowey docks with ECC and these were 08s D3452, D3476 and D3497.

Oh well, looks like Rule One rules again!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:57:50 pm by D1042 Western Princess, Reason: spelling! opps! »
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 02:35:32 pm »
47's and 50's were quite common on the Fowey Branch.  45's & 46's also worked on clay traffic, but the only photographic evidence I can recall on a branch was a shot of 45072 at Parkandillack.   They did work with hoods on the mainline, but I have a feeling they were not cleared to run to Fowey due to their weight.  The 45's & 46's did work on the Newquay branch on holiday trains though. Not sure if they worked clay traffic out of Goonbarrow?

I have to say I like this plan and I am looking forward to seeing it develop.  I also liked the plan for the Cornish Mainline, but I presume that project has been put to one side or cancelled?

John

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 02:51:42 pm »
I can find nothing for class 35s in Cornwall, the nearest being shedded at Laira or Newton Abbot in Devon. (so still in England)

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 03:24:11 pm »
The ever useful CRS website shows a rare Hymek down at Penzance

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/_2529176_orig.jpg

Yes, the Mainline idea has been shelved indefinately - I want something smaller that may actually get built, and uses less stock (that I can then afford !)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:27:03 pm by JasonBz »

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 04:45:00 pm »
The ever useful CRS website shows a rare Hymek down at Penzance

Indeed. I think if you're trying to evoke a place and a time, you want the locos and rolling stock that were common there, rather than ones that occasionally turned up and made history in doing so!

@JasonBz, yes, you're quite right about 25s for late 70s Cornwall; I'd also add 47s and 37s, as well as the trip-working 08s before thinking about anything more exotic.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 05:44:30 pm »
remember the st Austell motorails ?

www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Motorail

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 05:52:41 pm »
remember the st Austell motorails ?

www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Motorail

An imaginary Motorail service on the line is most possible.....
It could even have a depot near the equally imaginary cement terminal at Victoria (Roche) - Very handy for the main A30 ;)

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 01:22:37 pm »
Whilst having another nosey about ere on the net, I found this picture of Nancegollan station (Helston Branch).
http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Sellick%20collection&objid=1997-7219_RJS_CL_49

The juxtaposition of station area layout, straight and curved sidings is just as I imagine it to be on here (or is it that I have seen this pic before and subconciously thought of it??)

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 11:44:00 pm »
Whilst having another nosey about ere on the net, I found this picture of Nancegollan station (Helston Branch).
http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Sellick%20collection&objid=1997-7219_RJS_CL_49

The juxtaposition of station area layout, straight and curved sidings is just as I imagine it to be on here (or is it that I have seen this pic before and subconciously thought of it??)

And within hours of posting that, I had changed my mind :D
(thats why this is Planning not Building I guess!)

As part of tidying the while thing up I have gone for something a bit more "Lostwithiel" about the station area
(Always back to old themes that work ;) )
It may be heretical to some, but in certain instances I like more or less straight sidings, there are plenty of real ones out there, and the wagons sitting in them line up well to my eye.

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 08:56:42 am »
As a former professional railwayman I can assure you I found as many straight sidings in my career as I did curved ones.
I think the point some are making is that a train on a curve looks better than one on the straight.
I suggest that both points are equally valid and that it is the choice of the layout builder as to which is chosen.
On my layout all my sidings are straight, but not parallel to the baseboard edge. Well, except for two carriage sidings and their headshunt, that is!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 11:57:59 am »
There will be a few subtle curves there, nothing dead straight except the platforms, I dont think small scale clearances look right on the ultra tight curves we have - The passengers would need to be Long Jumpers (just like at Saltash on the Up really :D )
But they come with the build phase not the draw it in anyrail part.... What is shown here is only a rough guide to what may actually transpire at the end!

That looks a bit tidier to my eye, and the baseboards now work in easy to make sections all the same size (sort of!)

The footbridge at the station and the fortunately sited clump of trees are where one baseboard joint is and the one on the L is the lower bank of the river...... Add in removable platforms spanning the joint and that should make them pretty hard to spot.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:03:11 pm by JasonBz »

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 01:03:32 am »
Crikey! nearly a week has passed!
This is still "on", with a few more alterations, of course ;)

I did briefly contemplate doing this in the lovely Finetrax....and then thought of all the other things I have got to do, and soon!
An extension cameo if Fintrax will happen though.....
and soon the whole thing will be a "Layout Construction Project"
No promises on how long it will take to realise though.....I seem to like taking diversions!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »
I must apologise for having missed your new thread, Jason. Looks very interesting and anything with diesel hydraulics running on gets my vote but, especially, based in Cornwall.

I can confirm that Plymouth Laira had a small allocation of "Hymeks" for some years and they did run in Cornwall (but not very often, it is true). I have (both renumbered from the original D7093) D7028 and D7090 as these were long-term Plymouth residents. Laira had a few specific diagrams for the "Hymeks" but I do not know the details.

I very largely stick to what ran in Cornwall but do have some exceptions, like a Class 14, and a BR 76XXX (one was reported to have run to Padstow). At least one "Hymek" ran to Bude. However, you're modelling South and not North Cornwall, I know. 8-)

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:41 pm »
Don't be so sure there is not a touch of Southern in this plan, maybe not a lot though.....

In most incarnations of the general idea the "clay line" is a southward extension of the Bodmin & Wadebridge Rly!

Which obviously being built 20 years before the Cornwall Railway went and built thier mainline, took the easier route ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 08:31:09 am »
Don't be so sure there is not a touch of Southern in this plan, maybe not a lot though.....

In most incarnations of the general idea the "clay line" is a southward extension of the Bodmin & Wadebridge Rly!

Which obviously being built 20 years before the Cornwall Railway went and built their mainline, took the easier route ;)

Even better! Cant Cove is on a joint BR SR and BR WR line (Wadebridge to Penmayne -- across the River Camel from Padstow which never got a railway in my version) and Martin's Trepol Bay down the coast is BR SR whilst further south Trepol Bat is BR WR. As both Martin and I run BR Green Class 33/0s as "Rule One" locos., you might also be tempted to buy a new Dapol one?

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm
Time Left: 14d 10h 19m