!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside  (Read 6442 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - Oh I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2018, 12:31:15 pm »
Bit more research,

If anyone has any memories, or better yet, photos of guest houses / B&Bs in the late 40's / early 50's regarding how they looked and signs on them any information is greatly appreciated.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »
Bit more research,

If anyone has any memories, or better yet, photos of guest houses / B&Bs in the late 40's / early 50's regarding how they looked and signs on them any information is greatly appreciated.
Simply google 1950s blackpool b&bs (or whichever town you like)  brings  up loads of images
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2018, 03:13:04 pm »
I get a lot of pictures of traditional B&B's but as they currently are.

I'm trying to establish the nature of the signage if it was just a small sign over the door or an estate agent type sign etc

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: September 28, 2018, 02:15:13 pm »
A bit of news from the Old Cobblers;

We've found a few map fragments which are going to be restored, possibly to use as the control panel for the layout.

The actual geography is more of  a mirror image of a J shape, the marshalling yard curving away in-land but for the layout (and in the picture of the map fragments) we've got that curved round behind the church etc and got the two tunnels going into the same hillside.

Quite a bit of work to be done, but one of the chaps at the old cobblers was a cartographer in the army before working for the OS so some good contacts there, just slow progress.

Any wobbly roads will be due to the Black Sheep Brewery having re-stocked the landlord's cellar.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2018, 10:04:51 am »
Work has been slightly abated on the map and also on the model of the B&B, it has also stalled entirely on the layout.

I need to solder DG couplings and assemble a small test train to ensure hands-free shunting is a possibility for the layout, otherwise I'll have to run fixed rakes and / or space the marshalling yard out slightly to allow hand from the sky uncoupling.

I'm wondering about giving the gaugemaster uncoupling arms a go as that's less changing things on the rolling stock, but I've often been told the springs in modern couplings are too stiff. I fell out with Dapol's couplings when they first came out as I find I can have uncoupling, or coupling and rarely delayed action.

I seem to keep coming back to this crossroads and it's getting me nowhere.

I've ordered some EM2 arms to go with the EM1 magnet I got to trial DG couplings, we'll see how these work - ideally I'd love to ditch the rapido completely, but I also want to get on and build the layout, both DG and EM2 will work with the same magnets so I can move over to DG couplings at a later date if I wish.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:20:56 am by Black Sheep »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2018, 10:13:46 am »
Haven't seen this for while...

Looks great! Prorotype plan looks challenging!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2018, 09:20:25 pm »
One thing I've noticed from looking at 1950s / early 1960s photos. of shops was that, on sunny days, they had extended canvas awnings (to protect the shop window displays). I can remember, as a child, seeing them being extended using a polished wooden pole with a brass hook on the end that attached to a brass eye on the awning. I presume one man in a brown coat with a pole at each corner?

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2018, 12:55:12 am »
One thing I've noticed from looking at 1950s / early 1960s photos. of shops was that, on sunny days, they had extended canvas awnings (to protect the shop window displays). I can remember, as a child, seeing them being extended using a polished wooden pole with a brass hook on the end that attached to a brass eye on the awning. I presume one man in a brown coat with a pole at each corner?

My current, quaint, town still has a few shops with them, as you say, pulled out and retracted by someone with a pole and hook, usually centrally on the canopy. Others use a handle on a bevel gear to push a rod up and down that moves the canopy via some fine victorian looking engineering (thankfully too small to model) and so canopies will feature on the layout in due time.

My EM2 coupling adaptors have arrived but time has not permitted me to experiment, I intend to fit one to each type of coupling I have,

Farish NEM
Dapol NEM
Farish sprung
Dapol sprung
Peco
Farish wiggle

I need to be sure that they will uncouple fairly reliably, possibly with a slight fettle to the coupling (I've been told that Dapol NEM have a bit of plastic on them that makes them stiff, a slight file should resolve)

This allows reliable working of and fitting off DG couplings to be deferred until later in the layout's life should delayed shunting be desirable etc.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here