!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Milliedale-on-Sea - a bit of history
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 02:11:03 pm »
Hi looks a bit Aberystwyth -ish

Robert

nope,

It's a bit Swallows & Amazons really, everywhere exists somewhere in real life, just not all together (hence the historical society meet in the 'old cobblers' because the history is a load of...) Some elements mirrored, other places butted together when they wouldn't be.

Anyone who can guess where something is from I'll buy a pint if we ever meet in person :D

Offline Gyppy101

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 03:41:16 pm »
How about Scarborough?

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 03:49:02 pm »
How about Scarborough?

10 points, Surprisingly despite being at opposite sides of the country Scarborough's south bay and Milliedale-on-Sea have a striking resemblance, the difference being how the railway runs through (Scarborough having only a terminus, Milliedale-on-Sea having a through route) and Milliedale-on-Sea being flatter :D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:50:19 pm by Black Sheep »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »
Scarborough..... LEMON TOPS............ :drool: :drool:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 06:28:10 pm »
Apparently if I settle the historical society's tab at the 'old cobblers' someone has found a set of plans for the lido!

Just need to wait until payday :D

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 07:26:25 pm »
Hi Black Sheep,

Have read the other thread and this one so for my Southern cider riddled brain can I just ask if you are going to show your layout progress here or somewhere else? Got a bit cobbled!

Looking forward to it wherever as it's got the sea (or has it  :confused1:).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 07:35:32 pm »
I ratherfancy a pint or three of that Southern cider in the Old Cobblers (what a great name for a pub).
Looking forward to layout pictures wherever they appear.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:20 am »
Hi Black Sheep,

Have read the other thread and this one so for my Southern cider riddled brain can I just ask if you are going to show your layout progress here or somewhere else? Got a bit cobbled!

Looking forward to it wherever as it's got the sea (or has it  :confused1:).

Cheers weave  :beers:

The two threads start at different points and run partially in parallel, this thread goes into the history of Milliedale-on-Sea and the scenic side of the layout, the other thread is the 'behind the scenes' of the construction and electronics, this one gets updated more often.

So, if you want to see me fitting point motors, it's the other thread,
If you want to hear the tales from the 'old cobblers' and how parts of the town develop  then it's this thread to keep an eye on.

And yes, there will be sun, sea and sand.

I ratherfancy a pint or three of that Southern cider in the Old Cobblers (what a great name for a pub).
Looking forward to layout pictures wherever they appear.

Cider is a bit posh for the 'old cobblers' they have Black Sheep and Jennings on tap and not a lot else!
The Old Crown on the sea front near the Lido might have cider :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:16:47 am by Black Sheep »

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 01:36:45 pm »
Clive and I have pretty much finished the Midland station main building, the chimneys are too narrow from using card that's a bit thinner than recommended so need to re-make those tomorrow. Found this one more fiddly than the church building but less roof tiles!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 05:17:59 pm »
Excellent work.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 06:14:30 pm »
Not much more news from within the Old Cobblers, they're all doing 'Stoptober! bribed the landlord to encourage them out for some fresh-air to survey the various raised sections of trackbed that still exist, some of it is a Sustrans cycle route, other sections still carry the single track line into the town but most services terminate at the original Milliedale station, only a few actually continue over the bridges to the insultingly named "Milliedale Sands" station, the less said about that the better!

So, hopefully we'll have the bridge heights, lengths and, once we're into November and beer is back on the menu, some research into which sections were arched, which were blocked up and other details.

We do know that one of the pubs did have a ladder from it's yard up the retaining wall to the motive power depot so that enginemen could slip down for a quick pint before heading home or even in the middle of a shift! Just can't remember what it was called, we know it was the pub next to the brewery,  got a partial list of pub names from the 1940's, just need to confirm locations;

Wharf Cottage,
Old Crown
Punchbowl
Oaklands
The Branch Road Inn
The Railway
Queens (always just called 't' Queen's' so not sure if it was Queen's Arms or Queen's Head)

and not forgetting, The Old Cobblers!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:20:06 pm by Black Sheep »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 06:47:23 pm »
Thanks for the update. I hope the research goes well. Looking forward to more photos., in due course.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:19:26 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 06:29:24 pm »
Some building work is on-going on the layout, well, at my desk at work with help from Clive.

We've assembled the second building for the Midland station and are looking at over-roof options, so a quick mock up of the scale scenes offering has been done, however I'd like to be able to see in so might use the legs, but this is something to come back to at a later date.

With regards heights, we know the sea wall is different now to when the model is set, so we're going from sea level (specifically where the sea meets the sand. This did result in a slightly damp historical society, but gets us the scale height of 43.5mm, which is nice since that's the height of the scalescenes arches :D

In other developments, I've adjusted the track plan to avoid points being over baseboard joints as I appear to have neglected to do this and had two double slips over the joins!

There have been other developments, but more on that another time.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 06:32:20 pm »
Thanks for the update. The station roof looks good.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 11:04:58 pm »
Thanks for the update. The station roof looks good.

I like the shape, but not the inability to see in, might use the arches and put my own cross beams on them, but that's a decision for when things are actually in place. The small building was the link between the two stations and was two ticket offices, one for people changing from the LNWR to the MR (on your left as you went through) and the other changing from MR to LNWR, of course this was no longer necessary after grouping in 1923 but the building was maintained and the arch allowed easy changing of trains without having to exit the station and cross the forecourt but tickets were checked to ensure no one was catching a local train and then hopping onto a through train without the correct ticket.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here