!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Barnton Yard  (Read 104 times)

Offline Flakmunky

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Barnton Yard
« on: Yesterday at 05:39:20 pm »
Hi All,

I was quite active both modelling and on the forum about 6 years ago... A baby changed things quite a lot and also meant that my layout, Dinsdale Park, had to be sold as the hobby room became my daughter's room...

So that was 6 years ago....

In the interim, I've been planning a layout and reading about modelling but apart from little bits and pieces, I've not actually done any modelling!

The layout I have been planning is for the new hobby room, but that is a longer-term project and will be quite large.

So, in the meantime, to scratch my modelling itch, I decided to build an Inglenook based shunting plank.

This, of course, grew in scope as all layouts tend to do!

My preferred modelling era is late 1970s - early 1980s, and I have always loved the Class 08, so this was my motive power. I had bought a bunch of private owned wagons to use, but decided against using these for 2 reasons: 1) they weren't historically accurate and 2) the length meant the sidings looked comically short.

As a result, I decided to go with OAA open wagons and use different loads to differentiate them for operation.

Anyway, this is the plan I ended up with... I wanted a little more than just the sidings, so included the mainline and the spur to the sidings....

The mainline at the top of the plan will extend to the edge of the board and will be powered, however it will be used primarily just as a diorama for some of my stock.

So there we go... I'll be updating this thread as the layout develops...

Thanks for your interest.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:42:10 pm by Flakmunky »
If you find a post helpful, thank the poster... Up there to the right of their name! :) ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

My BR 1980's Layout Thread

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
Re: Barnton Yard
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:50:19 pm »
If you want to use the short cars on long sidings for inglenook, you could
- use temporary blockers while you do competitions to shorten the siding
- use an industry building with the correct number of doors to define exactly where the cars have to be...

I have seen layouts where boxcars of different length were used. But not every length was allowed to be stored at every place... makes shunting even more demanding
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Flakmunky

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:24:32 pm »
Hi,

Yes, thanks for the suggestion... I'll be doing something similar with the headshunt as it is too long... Also, I might have a building on the end of the 2 parallel sidings with doors...

Anyway, here is a pic of where I was working out the siding lengths...

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:27:01 pm by Flakmunky »
If you find a post helpful, thank the poster... Up there to the right of their name! :) ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

My BR 1980's Layout Thread

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:48:10 pm »
Firstly, congrats for the addition to the family.
Secondly, welcome back into 'the collective'. You have been assimilated again :D

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything