!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 403591 times)

Online Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5115 on: August 19, 2018, 11:35:04 pm »
Your daughter is 100% correct, Ex Steel mineral wagon :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #5116 on: Yesterday at 08:28:26 am »
My daughter wishes to know if and how mermaids travel by train.

Our conclusion is a wagon of water in which she rides, is anyone able to confirm?

Thank you and your daughter. The answer, from a nineteenth century local medical doctor and amateur naturalist who lived in a house on Cant Cove Lane and studied the local mermaids is:

Most mermaids can also walk on land, and swap between their tails and human-like legs. Most mermaids will transform back into their natural state when they come in contact with water. So they will avoid contact with water, on land, at all costs. Most are able to exist equally on land and in the sea, although they can become dehydrated if on land for extended periods of time.

Mermaids are lovely, wise and very shy creatures of the sea that, sometimes fall in love with sailors and bear them children. Cant Cove's mermaid, Morveren, is typical of most mermaids. Merpeople are neither human or fish; they are mammals that resemble human from the waist up and fish from the waist down. Despite having scale-like skin on their tales, they are warm-blooded creatures with some characteristics of a dolphin-like biology (sonar, respiratory, circulatory and skeletal systems).

Mermaids should not be confused with Sirens, who can conjure storm and fog, foretell death, read minds and wreak havoc of every level.

Morveren and her Cornish and Breton relatives are a sub-species of Open-Ocean mermaid that no longer migrates (travelling in social groups known as pods) but spend most of their time close to coasts. Their ancestors chose to become ShipSavers -- mermaids who are bound to help guide ships through rough waters filled with dangerous rocks. They are also SpellSingers, mermaids who can lure sailors into the sea, and isolated males to the shores where they are awaiting them and WeatherWorkers, having the ability to control the weather. Morveren and her relatives, (unlike some other SpellSingers and WeatherWorkers), only use these abilities with good intentions.

A few Celtic Coast mermaids keep themselves to themselves, but most can't stand to be alone. They have smaller flukes because they don't travel a lot, staying in one secluded place. Their diet varies depending on their habitat. These mermaids vary in personality, most are friendly but anxious and secretive around humans they have not learnt to trust. (The memory of the local mermaid who was shot by a local man and, with her dying curse, created the Doom Bar, a sandbar across the harbour at the mouth of the estuary, lives on. Legend states that a young man had found a young woman sitting on a rock brushing her hair. Entranced by her beauty, he offered to marry her and when she refused he shot her in retaliation, only realising afterwards that she was a mermaid. As she died she cursed the harbour with a "bar of doom".)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:01:28 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5117 on: Yesterday at 12:23:14 pm »
I think I finally have the foliage 'right' on the 'Cornish Hedges' after several sprays of matt medium green. I don't think I'll add any more foliage on top?

Both sides of the three pieces. I still have to paint the rocks different colours, dot paint flowers, then glue them in place, fill any gaps (I might use the foliage pieces for this), then add walls and vegetation below on the goods yard side.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5118 on: Yesterday at 12:24:25 pm »
I honestly think they look awesome, The view of them on the horizontal I would be so proud of them. Not sure if this would work but maybe a little 'brick work' on show? Had a quick google to see some cornish hedges and a lot seem to have rock on show just and idea but keep going with them  :beers:

Or depending on location could add a little brown to break the colour up like this ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_hedge#/media/File:Down_to_the_Valley_Below_-_geograph.org.uk_-_292281.jpg

Many thanks, Drakken. Please, see above.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5119 on: Yesterday at 12:33:48 pm »
I think that looks good now Chris.
Looking forward to seeing them in situ.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5120 on: Yesterday at 02:05:37 pm »
Thanks, Martin. I agree, the 'Cornish Hedges' look much better. I have painted all the wooden sleepers on the lines, except on the Castle Branch, matt black, thus overpainting the rail brown on them. After another clean of the rails, they look very good. Taking photos. is a great way to spot what was overlooked. I think I have fixed all the obvious problems, apart from the loco. shed area, which will have to wait.

Morveren is in place with added bushes to hide her and her treasure chest of Moonstones. The beehives need glueing in position. The station bookstall needs finishing.

I hope there will be some train photos., soon.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:46:53 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5121 on: Yesterday at 07:45:41 pm »
Two more temporary photos. (as I've since added more greenery, to left (mainly) and right to shield Morveren's tiny cove from view.

A close-up. (Best I can do.) It also shows why sand is too large in N Scale. Somewhere I have a bag of Chinchilla dust which will be laid on all the beach areas, including this.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5122 on: Yesterday at 07:59:23 pm »
The replacement photos. showing the black-painted sleeper track after applying the old Peco track rubber and then vacuuming with my handheld cleaner.

From right to left, for a change.

The pre-painted and cleaned replacement point can be seen, above, and in close-up. (My landlord is now coming, Wednesday, with his soldering gear to replace the damaged one.)

The two Extra-LWB "INSULFISH" vans, newly overhauled by the CLPG, can be seen awaiting despatch to the mysterious island of Sonmel for transporting fresh fish. To shield the island's identity, they both bear plates stating GRIMSBY on their sides!

A close-up of the track in the loco. shed siding. The painting of rails and sleepers ends just where the path will continue across the track inbetween the loco. hoist and the loco. shed. The rails, painted look thinner, and the sleepers painted, look more realistic.

A patch of burnt grass caused by a stray ember from a steam loco. can be seen. I need to add yellow grass around the edges. (This is a photo. showing the track BEFORE cleaning.)

I have not painted the sleepers in the goods yard sidings or the Castle Branch matt black but I may paint them dark brown to show that they are older.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:05:01 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5123 on: Yesterday at 08:16:38 pm »
I had forgotten that the tall rock formation to the right of the layout, inbetween the estuary and the railway in the cutting behind is known as the Dragon's Back, whilst the long path down from the ramp of the Down platform to the estuary beach is known as the Dragon's Tail!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:37:31 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5124 on: Yesterday at 09:15:06 pm »
Thank you very much for these fascinating photographs, Chris.  You are making very good progress.

With regard to the sleepers, older ones tend to have a kind of silvery/greyish to light brown look.  I have a piece taken from a sleeper at Achanalt (please don't ask!) which I used as an example when I was dying wooden sleepers* in my P4 track-making days.  Really dark sleepers tend to be fairly new or sheltered in some way.

* 'N' gauge Peco track is easier!

Thanks, again, for the photographs.

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here