!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 31595 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2017, 05:37:20 pm »
I'm having problems with lettering on coach side images, looks great at the size I edit at, but downsize it to fit the coach side and it becomes almost illegible; I think the term is pixellated, but I'm not elated with these pics!

Hi Mike, what are you using to edit the coach lettering?

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2017, 05:38:43 pm »
I'm having problems with lettering on coach side images, looks great at the size I edit at, but downsize it to fit the coach side and it becomes almost illegible; I think the term is pixellated, but I'm not elated with these pics!

If you work at a minimum of 300dpi you should be okay. Higher resolution values will be better :)

(Teaching grandma to suck eggs probably doesn't go down very well!)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2017, 03:58:43 pm »
Went back to Bluebell with the better half yesterday. Great day but both of us felt a bit under the weather by about 4pm and made an early exit. However it was a great day with plenty of activity and we got to ride in the period Southern three coach set (which was great) and the vintage four wheelers (which was also great but bumpy!).

Both of us a feeling better today (just tired yesterday I guess) and I've been getting on with a bit more lining.

No ultra ultra cruel close up today but when enlarged the locos in the picture are much larger than in reality. The rearmost cab end is my start on BR mixed traffic livery - I don't know why the camera has picked up a slight purple tinge to it, it's not like that in reality.

You might notice some slight blooming on the paintwork. This is where I've either been removing slight lining blemishes or coxing paint into forming corners. Once it is fully dry I should be able to remove it with a ooo brush moistened in white spirit or, if worse comes to worse, paint over it with some of the base colours. The two LNER locos have also had their buffer beams lined out in white but this needs a little more work once dry before they are worthy of being photographed.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »
Went back to Bluebell with the better half yesterday. Great day but both of us felt a bit under the weather by about 4pm and made an early exit. However it was a great day with plenty of activity and we got to ride in the period Southern three coach set (which was great) and the vintage four wheelers (which was also great but bumpy!).

Both of us a feeling better today (just tired yesterday I guess) and I've been getting on with a bit more lining.

No ultra ultra cruel close up today but when enlarged the locos in the picture are much larger than in reality. The rearmost cab end is my start on BR mixed traffic livery - I don't know why the camera has picked up a slight purple tinge to it, it's not like that in reality.

You might notice some slight blooming on the paintwork. This is where I've either been removing slight lining blemishes or coxing paint into forming corners. Once it is fully dry I should be able to remove it with a ooo brush moistened in white spirit or, if worse comes to worse, paint over it with some of the base colours. The two LNER locos have also had their buffer beams lined out in white but this needs a little more work once dry before they are worthy of being photographed.

looking good Steve as ever.

Just thinking, if you were tired yesterday is that the onset of old age? just a thought :)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2017, 05:58:03 pm »
looking good Steve as ever.

Thanks Paul.  :)

Just thinking, if you were tired yesterday is that the onset of old age? just a thought :)

I have no idea. As you are much more experienced than I on that particular subject, I'll defer to your greater experience in this matter.  ;)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »
Will  you youngsters stop bickering and leave us old'uns in peace!  :sleep:
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2017, 06:33:47 pm »

Sorry Mike.  :( :(

The chassis and one of the tenders are in on the painting and lining lark too...

Wheels have been repainted into their final colours using a mixture of bow pen (for the spokes) and brushwork around the edges. I'm particularly pleases that I've just about managed to preserve the original lining around the green wheels. The green driving wheel centres are yet to be given a coat of black and you can see the original green still. I've also repainted the side of the cylinder, the green should start a little higher but, again, I wanted to save some lining work by preserving what was already there.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2017, 08:20:13 pm »

Sorry Mike

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2017, 03:30:02 pm »
A bit more done of the locos. The LNER versions are done on this side, other than a little cleaning up, with the adding of the valance lining. The BR K3 needs it's red line adding to the valancing but this will need to wait until the paint is dry. Pictures below are roughly 10% bigger than actual size...

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2017, 03:57:17 pm »
A bit more done of the locos. The LNER versions are done on this side, other than a little cleaning up, with the adding of the valance lining. The BR K3 needs it's red line adding to the valancing but this will need to wait until the paint is dry. Pictures below are roughly 10% bigger than actual size...

Looking very good indeed

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »
Pictures below are roughly 10% bigger than actual size...

Pedantic time - this is entirely dependent on the size of monitor and resolution you're running at...  ;) Will be very different sizes on a 27" widescreen 4K than a 19" 4:3 at 1280x1024.

Regardless, still looking good :-)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2017, 05:22:15 pm »
Thank you guys, I'm amazed that these are coming along as well as they are.

Good point regarding the size though Alan.  :D

The BR D49 is now starting to catch up the other three...

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2017, 05:58:04 pm »
Good point regarding the size though Alan.  :D

On a modelling point - do observe closely the lining on K3 in BR days next to the bufferbeam. My prototype loco had very detailed lining in this area - not sure if all were like that, so worth checking the prototype loco you intend to model.

Lining my Stanier Mogul tonight. Decals tho...  :)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2017, 03:47:57 pm »
Picked up this interesting thread today...

However, the coupled wheelbase is a bit too short to properly represent a J69.

What does everyone else think?

the Farish body comes out at 53.75mm or 1.06 times bigger. Factor in that the tanks are too high and the boiler is somewhat over fed and you'll quickly come to the conclusion that this is not a scale model!

The words emphasised above are key for me (and I have two of these bodies on my to-do pile). Here are some real ones: https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j67j69.php

The Fleischmann chassis/wheels/rods are a million miles more plausible (if not precisely accurate) than Grafar's original teenie, gappy wheels and dog-bone rods, so I'd use them in a flash.

If the over-length body bothered me, I'd take a mm out here and there with hacksaw cuts between the safety valves and tank vents, behind the top sandboxes and at the boiler/sandbox boundary. Personally, I don't think it's worth it, and a nice distracting livery on an "OMG-you've got one that runs" example would make this an exceptional model.

Mike

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2017, 06:03:57 pm »
Sorry about the lack of posts recently, been feeling a little low again.

However today has seen some progress again in the form of boiler bands! My original plan was to create some decals by spraying some blank decal film with body colour and hand ruling the bands onto that. That was before I discovered some old Fox boiler bands in my bits and pieces box, so I decided to have a go with those instead.

Sorry about the poor quality of the picture, although it shows up the LNER Shire reasonably nicely. The LNER K3 at the back is nearest to completion with just the buffer beam numbers to go before the final detailing can be added - you can just about see that it has gained an identity, 2425. This locomotive was recorded at Kings Cross in mid 1935 so is appropriate to my layout. The Shire and BR K3 still need to have their boiler bands finishing on the side not in shot.

Having obtained another N class chassis as part of a swap, I'm considering modelling another K3 either 4000 or 4009 as they would have been around the mid 1930s. This will mean that she'll be somewhat different from 2425 being right hand drive and still being fitted with the original GNR cab (but towing an early group standard tender by this time).

I'll take some (slightly) better pictures next week once I've finished the boiler bands and numbering.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything