!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 27985 times)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #375 on: May 10, 2018, 11:35:01 am »
Thanks Mick,

I have some nerve damage in my left forearm and hand (I'm left handed) from my days as a competitive free skater (figure skating, the type on your own where you throw yourself into the air and try and rotate multiple times without killing yourself!). This does create the occasional shake (and I can't feel much in two of my fingers anymore!) so I find that using something to rest my wrists on while doing this kind of work invaluable as it restricts unwanted movement quite nicely. The other thing is the wonderful ability to be able to manipulate or remove enamel paint from a gloss surface using a fine brush moistened (literally only just dampened) with white spirit (again, I do this while resting my wrists). A combination of these factors makes it relatively easy to clean up mistakes (of which I make quite a few!).

Regarding ability, it's just a lot of practice - you haven't seen the ten years plus of mistakes to get to this point!  :-[

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #376 on: May 11, 2018, 10:37:10 am »
I've started on the red lining on one side last night.

I also knocked up the pickups for the rear pony truck and played around with these until I was getting good contact with the wheels while allowing them to still turn.

The pony is printed in Strong White and Flexible (about the only thing I use this material for) and has had the holes opened to clearance using a drill in a pin chuck. The rear overhang for the coupling pocket is slightly too long and so will need trimming back by about 1mm to clear the bottom of the rear buffer beam.

Offline AJP

• N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »
Hi Steve, going back to the county, will you be thinking of a tender (not much around commercially) for it also?
The L1 looks very nice also

Regards Tony
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:55:47 pm by AJP, Reason: Got my L1 and V1\'s mixed up! »

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2018, 11:54:53 am »
Hi Steve, going back to the county, will you be thinking of a tender (not much around commercially) for it also?
The L1 looks very nice also

Regards Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the kind words. The County will have a tender designed for it as well. In fact the basic outline was the first thing that I designed to prove that the concept of using the Farish tender drive was feasible. I'll get around to finishing tweaking it and adding the details once I'm done with the loco body. :)

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: June 06, 2018, 06:01:06 pm »
I've got a little further with the V1 build, it now has it's identity.

No. 2911 was briefly allocated to Kings Cross shed for seven weeks in 1931. Since taking the picture, I've moved the numbers around as I wasn't happy with their placement. The red paper to the left is clear decal paper that I've sprayed with the same colour as I did the lining. Once it has dried I'll use my bow pen to draw in a black line and carefully cut the paper to leave a thin red line either side of it. This will form the boiler bands for 2911. I've not attempted this before but have seen it used to good effect on some very nice 2mm finescale scratch builds.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: June 11, 2018, 03:19:58 pm »
Some progress on the V1 test build/paint. Having seen Tim Watson's magnificent 2mm scale P2 build, I thought I would try his technique for making the boiler bands. This comprises spraying a piece of clear decal paper (Microscale in this case) the colour of the outer lines and, once fully dry, ruling on the center colour using a bow pen. Once this has hardened, the decal is trimmed to size using a razor blade and applied to the model. Keeping the outer lines a consistent width is a bit of skill but I'm happy with me first attempt at using this technique.

It occurs to me that this could also be adapted for use as cab and tender lining and, although the corners would still need to be carefully brush painted, it would be easier than trying to line three different lines using a bow pen!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: June 11, 2018, 06:49:16 pm »
Some progress on the V1 test build/paint.

I look forward to seeing these on Shapeways - I'll definitely be in for two!

Was this FUD, or FXD (or whatever the current naming of those now is)?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2018, 06:51:25 pm »
Some progress on the V1 test build/paint.

I look forward to seeing these on Shapeways - I'll definitely be in for two!

Was this FUD, or FXD (or whatever the current naming of those now is)?

Cheers,
Alan

Thank Alan,

This was done in FXD (why do Shapeways have to rename everything!).

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: June 11, 2018, 07:34:52 pm »
I've started adding some of the final detailing from Nbrass and the 2mm Association.

I do enjoy how these small bits and pieces really bring a model to life. :)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #384 on: June 11, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
What an absolutely fantastic-looking locomotive!

Congratulations.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: June 11, 2018, 08:41:27 pm »
What an absolutely fantastic-looking locomotive!

Congratulations.

John

Thanks John,

There is still plenty to do before it is finished though...  :D

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #386 on: June 11, 2018, 08:55:37 pm »
I know I have shaky hands but, that apart, I am still gobsmacked by the skill of you and several other forum members who have the ability to produce work to such a high standard.
I salute you all. :admiration:

I sympathise.  I first showed symptoms of what is now known as Essential Tremor when I was 10.  55 years on it gets progressively worse and hefty medication is not really reducing it to any useful extent, and I get ever more limited in what I can tackle.  DBS is currently the only real surgical option on the NHS but that carries some risks and costs c 90k.  Focused Ultrasound treatment has not yet been passed for general use.  So I am not optimistic that I can persuade my neurologist to put me forward for it

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2018, 03:49:21 pm »
A bit more on 2911. The buffer beam decals have been added, the brass work picked out and some vacuum pipes made up and painted.

The vacuum pipes are bits of guitar wire and a handrail knob each. Once dry, they'll be glued to the model and final touch ups will take place before matt varnishing the model.

I've still got to plot out and cut out a cab floor. This is necessary as I'll be adding a strip of shim brass to the rear pony to help with it's tracking and the floor is needed to provide something for it to bear on. I suppose I should sort out a crew at the same time!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #388 on: June 12, 2018, 04:11:12 pm »
Smashing job, Steve. It'll look wonderful when matt varnished.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2018, 07:01:42 pm »
Thanks Mick,

I added the vacuum pipes today and did a bit of a touch up on the lining where it's been handled quite a bit without a protective coat of varnish. I also found a crew for the loco. These were some very cheap generic figures I obtained (along with another 298!) from China several years ago and have never used (they're not the best quality).

I sprayed them with primer and then roughly painted them with some Vallejo acrylic paints I had lying about.

The crew aren't posing for the photographer, they'd love to get inside the cab but there isn't a floor at the moment!  :o

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything