!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 31754 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2017, 06:16:14 pm »
Lovely work Steve. Really crisp and neat banding. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2017, 07:35:26 pm »
Hi Steve

Good to see an update from you, those locos are looking superb - top work!

Regards

Roy

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2017, 09:24:42 am »
Thank you guys for the kind comments.

As promised some slightly better pictures.

2425 is towing the original 3D printed tender (V2 tender frames) from my prototype K3 model while the BR version is paired with a Farish J39 tender drive which has now had it's early crest removed pending lining out and later crest being added. There is still a slight of hand here as the BR K3 still needs the last bits of boiler band adding to the other side of the loco. I'm still not sure of the identity of this one and I've still got a couple of areas to fill in and/or tidy up on the cab and valance lining.

The BR D49 is lagging behind a bit as I suddenly realised that I hadn't lined out the splashers on one side! This has now been corrected and boiler bands will be added once the paint is dry.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2017, 01:47:40 pm »
Cracking work, Steve :goggleeyes:

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2017, 02:50:58 pm »
Looking great!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2017, 07:51:14 pm »
Steve its not fair, I've not been allowed to work on my engines  :'(

For LNER things they look quite good

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2017, 03:02:05 pm »
Thanks guys.

Paul, from you that is high praise indeed! ;) Why aren't you allowed to work on your locomotives at the moment? Have you upset the DO?

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2017, 04:49:23 pm »
Thanks guys.

Paul, from you that is high praise indeed! ;) Why aren't you allowed to work on your locomotives at the moment? Have you upset the DO?

Apparently I have been naughty  :angel:

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2017, 04:55:40 pm »
Thanks guys.

Apparently I have been naughty  :angel:

Obviously not naughty enough  :D :-X

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2017, 08:11:33 pm »
Sounds like Paul followed the normal course of events -

A man spends the majority of his life looking for the ideal woman - in the meantime he marries. I stuck my first one for 25 years then got out, found a real good one within 18 months, unfortunately cancer took her 9 years ago. Haven't bothered looking since.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:01 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your wife Mike. My own marriage lasted little over three years...

Anyway, progress is still being made with the locos but I'm starting to lose the will to live with their tenders! Both the D49 tenders are likely to have to be reprinted as they've warped (I don't know why). So in the meantime between adding boiler bands to the BR Hunt and lining up the last few bits and pieces on the Shire, I thoughts I'd turn my attention back to some planned and/or stalled projects.

Above is one of my Papyrus models now fitted with a spare Scotsman boiler and well on it's way to becoming Windsor Lad. Strictly speaking Windsor Lad should have a banjo dome rather than the later streamlined version but I can live with this. I see that this model is displaying the crooked running plate that Dr Al describe when the A3s first came out. I'll have to look back over his threads to see how to correct this.

This has left me with a spare round dome boiler:

This has now been renumbered as 4480 Enterprise - being a Star Trek fan, it's a must! There is a category B Papyrus heading my way tomorrow which was cheaply purchased from DCC Supplies. Unfortunately none of the Dapol A3s can correctly represent Enterprise in 1930's condition so the boiler is in the process of being modified - can anyone spot the big change?

Finally, Humorist's boiler is finally receiving some boiler bands! I'm going to have to reexamine the boiler as a couple of the bands don't look quite straight in the photo above.

Once these are done I'll have five A3s in the fleet and all will be slightly different from the others. I'd love to model a couple of the original A1s but I'm not sure about removing the superheater covers on the smokebox - once I've got my hands on another spare round dome boiler, I'll have a go at removing them.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2017, 03:46:57 pm »
When i met my future wife I had just returned from running factories in Hong Kong and all my worldly goods were in a container on a slow boat following me.  When she met my mother she said, coming form a family of collectors, that she was very worried that I did not have any hobbies.  My mother replied "Just you wait"  :D

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2017, 05:18:48 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your wife Mike. My own marriage lasted little over three years...

Anyway, progress is still being made with the locos but I'm starting to lose the will to live with their tenders! Both the D49 tenders are likely to have to be reprinted as they've warped (I don't know why). So in the meantime between adding boiler bands to the BR Hunt and lining up the last few bits and pieces on the Shire, I thoughts I'd turn my attention back to some planned and/or stalled projects.

Above is one of my Papyrus models now fitted with a spare Scotsman boiler and well on it's way to becoming Windsor Lad. Strictly speaking Windsor Lad should have a banjo dome rather than the later streamlined version but I can live with this. I see that this model is displaying the crooked running plate that Dr Al describe when the A3s first came out. I'll have to look back over his threads to see how to correct this.

This has left me with a spare round dome boiler:

This has now been renumbered as 4480 Enterprise - being a Star Trek fan, it's a must! There is a category B Papyrus heading my way tomorrow which was cheaply purchased from DCC Supplies. Unfortunately none of the Dapol A3s can correctly represent Enterprise in 1930's condition so the boiler is in the process of being modified - can anyone spot the big change?

Finally, Humorist's boiler is finally receiving some boiler bands! I'm going to have to reexamine the boiler as a couple of the bands don't look quite straight in the photo above.

Once these are done I'll have five A3s in the fleet and all will be slightly different from the others. I'd love to model a couple of the original A1s but I'm not sure about removing the superheater covers on the smokebox - once I've got my hands on another spare round dome boiler, I'll have a go at removing them.

I'm saying this through gritted teeth but brilliant work there.

I think the Domestic Overlord would like a model of enterprise as he is a bit of a Star Trek freak, err sorry I mean fan. I've had a secret wanting for one of these locomotives too and I believe one was called "Columbo" who in my mind is the best detective ever?

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »

I think the Domestic Overlord would like a model of enterprise as he is a bit of a Star Trek freak, err sorry I mean fan. I've had a secret wanting for one of these locomotives too and I believe one was called "Columbo" who in my mind is the best detective ever?

Thanks Paul. Nowt wrong with being a Star Trek 'freak'. The A3 you're thinking about is 2501 Colombo which is as close to 'Columbo' as you're likely to get.

If you're still in the DO's bad books you might think about buying him a present so you can get more train playing... I mean modelling... time. Try this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/201930109261?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=13936810266&rlsatarget=pla-56128534817&abcId=&adtype=pla&merchantid=6995734&poi=&googleloc=9046035&device=c&campaignid=220881786&crdt=0

Yes, I'm seriously tempted by this when funds improve!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »

Thanks Paul. Nowt wrong with being a Star Trek 'freak'. The A3 you're thinking about is 2501 Colombo which is as close to 'Columbo' as you're likely to get.

If you're still in the DO's bad books you might think about buying him a present so you can get more train playing... I mean modelling... time. Try this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/201930109261?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=13936810266&rlsatarget=pla-56128534817&abcId=&adtype=pla&merchantid=6995734&poi=&googleloc=9046035&device=c&campaignid=220881786&crdt=0

Yes, I'm seriously tempted by this when funds improve!

You say Colombo and I say Columbo lol

Are you suggeing I buy the DO some toy dolls  :laugh3: Oh dear beam me up scottie

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here