!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills Drummond 700  (Read 942 times)

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Union Mills Drummond 700
« on: October 13, 2016, 09:23:24 pm »
Following a request here are a couple of shots of my slightly improved Union Mills Drummond 700 Black Motor.

So here is the basic model (rather handy I own two one in original condition)

A great model and as can be expected can pull anything you want it too. As my video shows my pair pulling 100 wagons but actually one of them would have coped with this load (just it was out of the loading restriction for the engine on my line)
https://youtu.be/csh4d4PVMAU

So first job up was to shorten the cable between loco and tender. I did this by taking the loco apart and taking a very short amount off the wire and re soldering it. It was actually very simple to do. I picked out key parts in appropriate colours (using picture from colour rail and the hornby model of the same loco). Lamp brackets were added using small gauge staples, a break pie (spare from a wagon kit) was added and sand box fillers were added using punched circles of plastic card. Finally Crew added (three the cleaner was getting a firing lesson). I forgot I added cab handrails from thin wire cut to length then glued in place, I also carefully thinned down the coupling rods by taking them off and filing them down.

The coupling rods were painted hornby gunmetal grey and I need to finish off painting the other added bits plus adding a route indicator.

A rather brief description but really these are simple changes for most people to make.

My inspiration came from Noel Leavers work which was detailed in (if I recall) an N'Spirations magazine and possibly an N Gauge Journal. A couple of shots and a description can be found here http://www.semgonline.com/model/um700rev.html

I will go on to finish both locos to the same standard. I would like to progress to improve the driving wheels and and weathering but one step at a time.

Graham

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills Drummond 700
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:59:19 pm »
Nice to see a Union Mills getting a face lift.  Its a good range of models sometimes underrated.  You can even squeeze DCC in if you are careful.

On the wheels, a bit of CARRS chemical steel blacking (rather than paint) on the outside faces, not the wheel treads, would make the wheels less noticeable.

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 07:02:36 am »
Thank you the chemical blackening is something I have stayed away from but it would help and also would improve the motion on the earlier Manors I have. I will look at getting some this weekend.
Graham

Offline JohnnyMcCoyT9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26859
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:51:39 pm »
I like the detailing a lot! I am planning to upgrade my Union Mills locos, its great to see what a difference a few small changes can make  :bounce:
Hawthorn Green passenger service, you're approaching the Strong Country.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:06 pm »
It is amazing what a few small changes can make, I intend doing something similar on my Union Mills 3F. I have converted it to dcc, that was easy compared to early gf locos, I fitted a ct chip in the tender, I fitted the chip on top of the motor. I just removed a bit of metal off the underside of the coal load. I still need to program the chip yet when I get round to it.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:02:00 pm »
Slightly off topic but DCC and DCC sound in Union Mills is very effective. 

The models are so heavy electrical pickup is very good.  All you need to do to get space is take the entire coal load out, fit the decoder (and speaker) above the motor, add a black cardboard lid and decorate with coal.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
Very nice work, indeed. A 'Black Motor' is on this year's list to buy and have DCC-fitted. (As is a T9.) Both will then need detailing.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here