Following a request here are a couple of shots of my slightly improved Union Mills Drummond 700 Black Motor.
So here is the basic model (rather handy I own two one in original condition)
A great model and as can be expected can pull anything you want it too. As my video shows my pair pulling 100 wagons but actually one of them would have coped with this load (just it was out of the loading restriction for the engine on my line) https://youtu.be/csh4d4PVMAU
So first job up was to shorten the cable between loco and tender. I did this by taking the loco apart and taking a very short amount off the wire and re soldering it. It was actually very simple to do. I picked out key parts in appropriate colours (using picture from colour rail and the hornby model of the same loco). Lamp brackets were added using small gauge staples, a break pie (spare from a wagon kit) was added and sand box fillers were added using punched circles of plastic card. Finally Crew added (three the cleaner was getting a firing lesson). I forgot I added cab handrails from thin wire cut to length then glued in place, I also carefully thinned down the coupling rods by taking them off and filing them down.
The coupling rods were painted hornby gunmetal grey and I need to finish off painting the other added bits plus adding a route indicator.
A rather brief description but really these are simple changes for most people to make.
My inspiration came from Noel Leavers work which was detailed in (if I recall) an N'Spirations magazine and possibly an N Gauge Journal. A couple of shots and a description can be found here http://www.semgonline.com/model/um700rev.html
I will go on to finish both locos to the same standard. I would like to progress to improve the driving wheels and and weathering but one step at a time.