!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Revolution offers Class 92 electric in N as next powered model  (Read 38230 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Revolution offers Class 92 electric in N as next powered model
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 03:57:32 pm »
Without wishing to speak for Ben, this is nothing to do with DJM. Obviously I really hope it gets across the line, or I'll have to support Dave's venture, but it's wholly unrelated.

The sarcastic comments about surprise allude to a bit of a to-do on RMWeb at the weekend whereby Dave took it upon himself to reveal RevolutioN's plans, under the auspices of "should I continue in the face of this competition?"   

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 04:21:32 pm »
Just curious as Caledonian, for one, seem to have given permission to both RevolutioN and Dave Jones. I guess they're not bothered as one way or another they may end up with a model of their 92.
I have no axe to grind here as I don't want a class 92 :no:

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »
Hi Newportnobby,

Just for clarity, the Revolution Trains model is nothing to do with DJM.

We have been working on this for some time and were taken by surprise when he announced his intention to raise funding for his own version.

We did consider revealing our plans immediately but felt that we should stick to our original intent which was not to announce anything else until we had actually delivered high quality models - and proved that crowdfunding the way we do it can work.

We have done that now, with the TEA tankers, hence today's official announcement.

In terms of background, while I am reluctant, for obvious reasons, to get into too much of a "92-off" with DJM I can say that put simply he was told in advance of our plans in confidence but chose to make them public at the weekend on another forum.

He has now apologised to Mike and me, in public, and we have accepted his apology and are happy to leave it at that.

I think the fact that we are working with co-operation of Brush Traction and have, right from the start, obtained all necessary licences etc for the liveries we want to do speaks for itself.

Our view is that we have been working on this for some time; we have on board the builder's and the licence holders, and we feel that our track record shows that we will see it through and deliver a high quality product in a reasonable time frame.

It's up to everyone who wants a 92 to decide which is their best or most realistic option.

Mike and I will have a Revolution stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC  this year, as we did last year with Rapido, and are happy to answer questions about our project. 

I know Warley isn't everyone's cup of tea but frankly it's the number one show in the calendar and I think if you want to be taken seriously you have to be there.

By then we will also be in a position to confirm the additional special features we are hoping to include but that, at this time, are being assessed for feasibility.

We may also have early CAD drawings to show off, though while CADs are interesting to look at and a useful measure of a model's progress, they are a relatively cheap and simple part of the process - most factories charge very little for them. 

It's the tooling and actual production that costs real money, which is why sometimes it can seem to be ages between CADs being shown and models actually arriving.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »
Just curious as Caledonian, for one, seem to have given permission to both RevolutioN and Dave Jones. I guess they're not bothered as one way or another they may end up with a model of their 92.

Why's that strange or surprising? Most companies consent multiple manufacturers to produce models.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 04:26:11 pm »
'

Hi NN,

Hornby have already produced the Caledonian Sleeper livery in OO, so clearly that is not an issue for anyone.

When we ask for permission for a certain livery we simply ask for ourselves.  We have no interest in seeking exclusivity.  I am pretty sure most of the railway operators are not too interested in that either!

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 04:32:02 pm »

Why's that strange or surprising? Most companies consent multiple manufacturers to produce models.

I wouldn't have a clue about that as my interest pretty much stopped when BR started painting things blue :D :P

Hi Newportnobby,

Just for clarity, the Revolution Trains model is nothing to do with DJM.

We have been working on this for some time and were taken by surprise when he announced his intention to raise funding for his own version.

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the details. Like I say, my interest is purely knowing who will make a class 92 as I find it somewhat depressing when more than one company goes for the same thing when there are other locos/units to choose from. Do you happen to know if DJM are still going ahead?

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 04:48:01 pm »
I find it somewhat depressing when more than one company goes for the same thing when there are other locos/units to choose from. Do you happen to know if DJM are still going ahead?

We find it sad as well, which is why we told Dave that we were well advanced with our plans (just as he was told by another producer that a new 4mm 86/87 was in the offing hence his switch to the 92).

I don't know if Dave is still going ahead but that is really a question for DJM. 

Cheers, Mike
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:36:47 pm by red_death »

Offline alibuchan

• My page on shapeways
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 05:05:24 pm »
DJM is still progressing the N gauge one acording to his thread on RMWeb, but I know where my money is best placed.

Its a shame as there are other models that he could go for that have no competition.

2 versions of the same models isnt great, just look at the B1 from both dapol and Farish, still loads of each sat round not selling.

Alistair

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 05:18:21 pm »
I agree. The haste with which Dave seems to be moving is more of a concern than encouragement to me!

With a phased payment approach I shall be buying even more Revolution ones!

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 06:22:52 pm »
It does seem such a shame that this situation has come to pass and I have real fears for those who want a 92 that end the result of this duplication will be that nobody ends up getting one due to the split in commitments to both projects.

I do hope I am wrong, I think the 92 is a prototype worthy of being produced, it is a mystery to me why it has taken so long.

Indeed I may even be tempted to one (I can always pretend it is getting power from an invisible third rail!).

But first one of them at least has to get enough support!

Roy

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 06:29:17 pm »

Hi Roy,

It is too early to say for sure, and we are certainly not complacent, but from soundings we have taken, and received, so far Mike and I are pretty confident ours will proceed.

Not least because the message we are receiving loud and clear is that having delivered superb tanker models this week using our methodology we are in the strongest position.

As Henry Ford said: "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."

But of course, I would say that wouldn't I?

Cheers

Ben A.

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 06:29:44 pm »
Well the better half will batter me when I order mine  :o  but I know I am going to be having at least 1 although if I get my way maybe more.

Hmm is a hospital visit worth multiple class 92s  :confused2:

Offline cutting42

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 06:58:16 pm »
Despite having a couple of CJM 92's the more I think about this the more inclined I am to pursue these. As an ECML modeller they really are a must have and I am tempted by the lights, DCC sound and any other tricks up their sleeves which of course the otherwise supreme CJM models lack.

Anyone want to buy a CJM 92 or two ;-)

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 08:50:24 pm »

Mmm I've just had a thought  :hmmm: :hmmm:

Can we justify one on HHC??

Would the early Railfreight grey one have trundled trough Sarf Larnden at anytime in it's life to HS1 :hmmm: :hmmm:

regards

Neal.

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2016, 08:54:22 pm »

Mmm I've just had a thought  :hmmm: :hmmm:

Can we justify one on HHC??

Would the early Railfreight grey one have trundled trough Sarf Larnden at anytime in it's life to HS1 :hmmm: :hmmm:

regards

Neal.

Yes, lots of the time. In fact we used to run them occasionally on HHC  :D

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations