!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tempsford - a BR Eastern Region Mainline Country Station  (Read 5545 times)

Offline Bob(K)

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tempsford - a BR Eastern Region Mainline Country Station
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 06:20:19 am »
Watton Erith was one of my fave layouts on here and i was sorry to see it's demise.
Great to see you back working in N Gauge,Bob........... :NGaugersRule:
Thanks, it has been a while, but I am enjoying working on this layout in much slower time. I tried 00 gauge for a bit after Watton Erith, but I could not achieve the mainline layout that I was looking for.

Bob

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 06:36:18 am »
This is sizing up to be a top layout.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 10:41:57 am »
OK, here are the latest pictures following a bit of a tidy up last night. I have plonked some trains into the picture and some vehicles to give an idea of size. The platforms will take a five coach stopping service train; the long express trains will not stop at Tempsford. The goods yard incorporates a small loco shed and service area, where a resident loco will be based, and there is a coal yard next to this and a private owners shed, as well as the BR shed with its own siding.  The sidings have the capacity for about ten wagons each. 

The picture below gives an overview of Tempsford with the goods yard and engine shed in the foreground. I have used 5mm painted foam board to bring the ground level up to the height of the Kato track (still to be ballasted). The station forecourt will have a vehicle ramp with paving and the big grey area will have areas of grass, parking and roadways:

This next view shows the ballasting which has now been extended through the station:

Looking back across the other way. In the foreground the relief line can be seen, with a local coal train halted at the signal, leaing the mainline clear. There is another relief loop outside the station area for traffic moving in the other direction. I have added an island platform building, which has still to be finished and a footbridge from a kit bashed Kestrel model:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 11:02:14 am »
Thanks for the latest photos. Looking very good, already. The ballasting is first class and completely hides the fact that you're using Kato track, I think.

Personally, I would bring the ground around the station up to close to platform height (with a slope down to the goods yard area) as it will look more realistic.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks for the latest  :greatpicturessign: & updates, the ballasting looks top notch
regards Derek.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 12:28:43 pm »
Thanks for the latest photos. Looking very good, already. The ballasting is first class and completely hides the fact that you're using Kato track, I think.

Personally, I would bring the ground around the station up to close to platform height (with a slope down to the goods yard area) as it will look more realistic.

I think that is a very fair comment. I may well do that as it will probably easier in the longer run.

Bob

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 12:34:31 pm »
Glad to be of help. I have used a combination of insulated board and thinner sheets plus balsa wood for the various levels of Cant Cove and think the overall effect of the railway in the landscape is well worth the extra effort.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 12:36:07 pm »
Glad to be of help. I have used a combination of insulated board and thinner sheets plus balsa wood for the various levels of Cant Cove and think the overall effect of the railway in the landscape is well worth the extra effort.

Will take a look

Bob

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 12:50:38 pm »
It looks as if I'd have trouble reaching all areas :hmmm:
Do you, Bob?

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 01:15:11 pm »
To save you ploughing through all the posts. Here's a photo. of the right-hand edge of Cant Cove showing how it is built up of various layers.

Hope you don't mind me posting it, here.

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 02:29:50 pm »
To save you ploughing through all the posts. Here's a photo. of the right-hand edge of Cant Cove showing how it is built up of various layers.

Hope you don't mind me posting it, here.

Not at all. I took a look at your thread too. I am going to give it a go, using a combination of foam board and card.

Bob

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 08:36:14 pm »
It has been a while since I last posted,  but work has continued on Tempsford. Having taken on board the comments concerning a suggestion that the land around the station should be raised, I pondered for a bit, then ripped out the area around the station building. Using a combination of foam board and filler I have built up the area where the station building will sit and given it a coat of grey paint. The chalk marks show where the edge of the tarmac will go:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:40:50 pm by Bob(K), Reason: spelling »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:05 pm »
Thanks for the update, Bob, and the very good photos. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the new scenic arrangements around the station! 8-) The station building already looks far more realistically sited.

Offline jonngizmo

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 09:44:12 pm »
hi bob, ive been following this via another forum and saw you station so went and purchased one, how did you "weather" it? I'm new to modelling and learning, I have a few kestrel kits to build as I find these are better than others I have seen.

jon

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 06:54:51 am »
hi bob, ive been following this via another forum and saw you station so went and purchased one, how did you "weather" it? I'm new to modelling and learning, I have a few kestrel kits to build as I find these are better than others I have seen.

jon

The weathering was done in the tried and tested way - first I gave the building an overall coat of brick colour. Once dry I applied a wash of light cream for the mortar. Again once dry I dry brushed (very dry brush) the brickwork with a lighter brick colour. After this I picked out the stone work with a sand colour. The roof was painted mid/dark grey and once dry washed with black. I dirtied some of the brickwork using soot weathering powders and spray. The roof can be highlighted with a dry brush of a lighter grey with downward strokes. That was it really. If new to these techniques it is worth having a practice on some spare embossed plastic to what effect can be achieved.

Bob

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything