!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Valanced A4  (Read 5735 times)

Offline GWR-Kris

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: Valanced A4
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 09:56:23 pm »
Got the Mallard today in Garter Blue. Very nice required some adjustment to front wheels but other than that runs very well

Offline MKP

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 02:34:43 pm »
I picked this one up at TINGS this year and I must say its a very nice model and a very good runner, the halulage is very good managing 9 dapol teaks with out any problem. The slow speed performance is very good, and nice and easy to DCC chip, once fitted and chip adjusted it runs very nicely.

It is a stunning model, but the only thing that bugs me is Empire of India didn't get a double chimney till the late 1950's, by which time she was BR green and had no valances, sadly none of the coronation A4's had double chimneys so the only A4's this model could become is 4468 Mallard and 4900-4903 but all of these had non-corridor tenders in LNER days so the tender would then be wrong.

i just had a note through from Dapol that the non corridor tender will be available as a spare, the corridor version is currently about 3

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-110660/coal-tender-top-corridor-version-dapol-n-a4-a3.htm

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 06:00:57 pm »
i just had a note through from Dapol that the non corridor tender will be available as a spare, the corridor version is currently about 3

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-110660/coal-tender-top-corridor-version-dapol-n-a4-a3.htm

Presumably that's unpainted?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline MKP

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »
Hi Alan

Dont know about the corridor tender, I was told the non corridor will be painted

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2016, 06:52:42 pm »
Hi Alan

Dont know about the corridor tender, I was told the non corridor will be painted

Thanks for the info - I presume it'll be LNER liveries? Or will there be some BR ones?

Reason I ask is that I've realised at least some of their BR releases have the wrong tender type (60016 for example).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline MKP

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2016, 07:05:50 pm »
I only asked about garter blue, but I assume they will have altervnatives

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 11:23:09 pm »
Hi Alan

Thanks for the info - I presume it'll be LNER liveries? Or will there be some BR ones?

Reason I ask is that I've realised at least some of their BR releases have the wrong tender type (60016 for example).

Cheers,
Alan

That wasn't through lack of prodding on my part - I did at least get them to put the right one on Bittern, only to have someone bellyache that it is wrong because the prototype has a corridor tender now- actually the same non-corridor tender Bittern had always had since new, just rebuilt post-preservation to trap the unwary.....

BTW Dapol now have a complete list (from me) of all A4s that had non-corridor tenders with dates, and Andy promised me he would use it- so there isn't an excuse for them getting it wrong again.

Les

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 07:53:32 pm »
Surprised there aren't more reviews on these or are they not readily available?
Really after a Mallard but the colour doesn't look quite right in the photo's I've seen.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 09:10:27 pm »
Surprised there aren't more reviews on these or are they not readily available?
Really after a Mallard but the colour doesn't look quite right in the photo's I've seen.

i will be doing a video review over the next week, just need to get some footage of the two i have running, i have mallard and union of south africa as valanced to review.

keep an eye on our youtube channel and facebook page (moorside valley railway facebook and moorside valley reviews youtube).

cheers

Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 11:43:27 am »
Got to say I've looked in detail at the pictures of the offering from Dapol..........dissapointing is all I can say.
Has anyone started offering a conversion into 'museum spec' and if so anyone had one done?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2017, 01:30:16 pm »
Got to say I've looked in detail at the pictures of the offering from Dapol..........dissapointing is all I can say.
Has anyone started offering a conversion into 'museum spec' and if so anyone had one done?

Apart from full valve gear, can you list what they have got wrong, and that they could have done differently given it is an RTR model.

Offline simonprelude

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 08:02:10 pm »

Apart from full valve gear, can you list what they have got wrong, and that they could have done differently given it is an RTR model.

Starting with the colour and the painted handrails would be my biggest issues.
I don't know if they were painted in operational use but I want a model as above (withstanding valve gear etc as I know that wasn't possible with the valences)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 08:46:59 pm »
I can see the attraction of the appearance of Mallard in the photo but she definitely does not look like that in person.

Unfortunately apart from the museum having tarted her up, if you judged her by the photo she looks to be in BR blue not LNER Garter Blue, but i'm sure its the camera's fault as the reds and yellows look wrong as well. 

This looks more like the museum color I recognize.

This is Craftmasters LNER Garter Blue for OO and for smaller scale like N you add white.

Unless she was new or the King was a passenger the rails were not polished and I believe were a dull gunmetal in apperance.

Not sure there would be much of a market for Museum/Preserved condition locos.  The "Original Deltic" by Farish had a limited uptake and is now a good source for cheap replacement mechanisms.

The whole question of  original paint color is a hobby area in itself.  I also model warships and there are people who dig up the mud around old ship breaker yards to find paint flakes.  I would be surprised if this has not also been done for railway paint schemes that has resulted in educated guesses of the the model paint companies.

Given this the Dapol Garter Blue is not perfect but its not far out and working locos lost their shine very quickly.

Offline mojo

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2017, 09:28:12 pm »
Has anyone from the forum bought a model of Quicksilver from dm-toys-de in Germany?
If so is the model covered in the Dapol guarantee and have you had any problems with the running?
Maurice C.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2017, 06:37:49 pm »
Yes, both DM-Toys/Modellbahn Union A4s (Quicksilver & Merlin) include the same "Dapol No Quibble Warranty" leaflet as the British issues. And I don't know why there should be problems with the running? It's the same mechanism as all the other valanced A4s.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here