!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachmann Class 40  (Read 24094 times)

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun ŗ son goŻt!
    • Awards
Re: Bachmann Class 40
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2017, 02:23:23 pm »
Although I very much agree with NPN regarding N gauge sound, I'll be getting the sound fitted version (if funds allow at that point) as well as the other TOPS version, simply to get a split headcode.

My only real experience of sound in this scale is at exhibitions, and I haven't been impressed, so this will be a bit of a trial. But I doubt my opinion will change, as I do like a bit of bass!

I have to agree on the appearance as well. Fortunately, the new Graham Farish version had been announced when I was looking at some second hand 40s. They were ok, but I decided that new ones would be better  :)
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline oreamnos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2017, 05:58:24 pm »
I know the decorated Class 40 examples have been posted on Bachmann's website for about a month now, but Hornby magazine have the same pictures which you can click and greatly enlarge here to high resolution:
http://www.hornbymagazine.com/2017/05/25/decorated-n-class-40-debuts/hm121_p10-13_pic-5/
I think the Farish model looks good even cruelly enlarged, so well done, Bachmann!

Regarding sound in N scale, I saw a Scale Trains Rivet Counter N scale UP 8500 Gas Turbine Electric at an exhibition a few months ago which is factory fitted with DCC sound.  It's a stunning model (and it's hard to believe it's plastic, not brass!).  There's a video of the model here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlkgUI0deM
If you skip to 9:30 in the video, you can here the sounds.  For N scale, they are excellent.

However, and I know it's a personal thing, but for me hearing 1:1 scale sound while looking at a 1:160 model simply doesn't work.  Perhaps ironically, I find adding sound actually lessens the illusion of realism, maybe because hearing "real" sound is just a reminder that I'm not looking at the real thing?  I really don't know.

Is the new spit box, sound equipped Farish 40 going to be supplied with DCC fitted, requiring me to get a blanking plug for it to run on DC?

Matt

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 06:08:50 pm »
Is the new spit box, sound equipped Farish 40 going to be supplied with DCC fitted, requiring me to get a blanking plug for it to run on DC?

I imagine the default decoder settings will allow it to run on DC with some of the sounds enabled. Alternatively you could sell the decoder (current price GBP 80-90), fit a Next18 blanking plug and run it on DC only.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2017, 10:28:58 am »
There are some photos in this month's rail express.

Have any pictures yet surfaced of them with the bodyshell off? Would be interested to see how they've managed to fit everything in.

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:09 pm »
Hi, I'm not sure if you've seen this yet, but a rather impressive video of the sound features and functions!

I love the idea that it is more like driving the loco 'with' the sounds, rather than the other way around, if you see what I mean. I haven't seen soft lighting changes before either.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline Rma

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2017, 02:55:54 pm »
Farish have announced that the first of the class 40s has now arrived at their warehouse. http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=474

I would like to run with DCC sound but donít want blue - so will need to fit my own. Reading through this thread, the speakers are ready fitted so I know Iíll only (hah) need to get a sound chip.

But, the first post on this thread says
Easy fit' DCC sound. Speaker sound box moulded in to roof. Large sugarcube speaker sticks to this and when body is replaced on chassis the speaker makes wireless contact with the PCB. No soldering and no loose wires.

... so does this really mean all Iíll need to do is plug in the chip? No wiring from chip to speaker or any other soldering??

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2017, 03:48:35 pm »
I think the 40 is rather fetching in Blue, alongside its smaller Cousin from Kernow!

Just buy a green and blue swap the bodies and flog off the blue non sound one ... Simples .. :0

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:44:58 pm by Only Me »

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »
They were soooo rare on the southern I would be a fool to buy one, but I have owned a few in the past, especially a fan of disc 40s.

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2017, 10:27:18 pm »
I actually saw 40 173 at Portsmouth & Southsea by sheer chance of luck - the only time I ever saw a 40 in the city.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9524254424

(NB I didn't take that photo!)

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline gc4946

• N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2017, 10:47:30 pm »
I bet someone will create the large logo-liveried preserved 40 145!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/14555218063
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline Bob G

• N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2017, 11:16:17 pm »
I actually saw 40 173 at Portsmouth & Southsea by sheer chance of luck - the only time I ever saw a 40 in the city.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9524254424

(NB I didn't take that photo!)

Yes, great idea and photo, but I don't call railtours logical reasons to buy one.
I have found excuses for all sorts of locos on booked turns, but I don't call railtours routine. I mean there was even a Deltic railtour to Portsmouth.

I can find an excuse for 57xx, 51xx 61xx, Halls Manors and Granges south of Reading - even City of Truro.
I can find excuses for 31s, hymeks, warships, westerns, 45s, 46s, south of Reading.
But a 40? Not that I know of.

Bob

Offline Rma

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2017, 08:38:52 am »
I think the 40 is rather fetching in Blue, alongside its smaller Cousin from Kernow!

Just buy a green and blue swap the bodies and flog off the blue non sound one ... Simples .. :0

Blue livery £178 + green livery £118 = £296

Or

Green livery £118 + chip £90 = £208

£296 - £208 = £88

So, Iíd need to sell the repackaged blue livery w/o sound for £88 to just break even. Any takers on here for £110 to cover faff and postage?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2017, 02:15:21 pm »
Oh you wicked lot! A combination of you posting about it and Rails sending me a mail to say they'd be in on Monday has lead to me buying the green disc version :doh:

Just as well I had £105 of vouchers from a recent birthday, eh? :D

Online Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2017, 02:24:35 pm »
Oh you wicked lot! A combination of you posting about it and Rails sending me a mail to say they'd be in on Monday has lead to me buying the green disc version :doh:

Good for you sir, if you have the cash, why not!

Skyline2uk

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »

Good for you sir, if you have the cash, why not!

Skyline2uk

As it's post free from Rails I get a new class 40 for £13 or so - bargain :laugh3:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here