!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachmann Class 40  (Read 22891 times)

Offline davidinyork

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Bachmann Class 40
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »
It does seem surprising that they are including a speaker even in the non-sound-fitted ones. I suppose the logic is that it can then be wired direct into the Next18 socket so that all that is needed is to plug in the decoder. I've not got any sound-fitted locos, but I understand that with 6-pin sockets the speaker has to be attached to terminals on the decoder itself as there aren't enough pins to use the socket, so there wouldn't really be the same advantage to including a speaker without a decoder.

Obviously this is the first time it's been done in N gauge, but are there actually any examples in OO where non-sound models have had a speaker included?

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2017, 09:08:14 pm »

Also great news - they will all come with a speaker fitted so adding sound should be a doddle.

No good to me, Roy. I'd be paying for a speaker I don't want :thumbsdown:

I guess it's the way things are going. Not so many years ago I'm sure I said the same about inclusion of a DCC socket (before being seduced to the dark side about 3 years ago) but now it is expected and analogue users have largely come to accept that. I don't doubt the same will become true of speakers (which are also being factory fitted in Bachmann's new "Next 18" 00 locos like the Webb "Coal Tank" too incidentally).

Reading BRM today it is interesting to note from their poll just how many use DCC now - certainly way more than I would have thought. I think that in factory fitting speakers Bachmann are actually stepping up to where expectations currently are.

Regards

Roy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2017, 09:11:14 pm »
Is this a portent of things to come? What next? Everything DCC fitted with the onus on DC users to buy a blanking plate and remove the chip?
If I was into conspiracy theories I'd say someone, somewhere has an agenda :hmmm: :uneasy:

Edit:- Just seen Roy's post above. Oh well, dinosaurs became extinct so I guess my  N gauge modelling now has a shelf life

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2017, 10:46:21 pm »
Retrofitting sound to the Farish Castle requires you to mount the speaker and solder the speaker wires to the PCB board - dead simple compared to most sound fits, but still enough to deter many I imagine. I suspect that the speaker in the sound-fitted version is glued in to improve sound reproduction so it may not be practical to remove it for sale - but you could just sell the decoder, which represents 90% of the package cost.

Factory-fitting speakers to non-sound loco versions adds only a couple of quid to production costs, makes a sound retrofit a simple matter of plugging in a sound decoder and ensures optimum sound quality.

Kudos to Farish for making sound cheaper and more accessible. In a few years it's not hard to see N Gauge sound being a plug-in GBP20 option rather than a GBP200 custom job.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:07:42 am by longbow »

Offline eddief83

• N Gauge Society Number: 27517
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2017, 12:13:39 pm »
I recall reading that in the car industry if they fitted the top of the range specs from the start to all cars they would be cheaper, its the switching of specs that are fitted that pushes the costs up, perhaps the same is true of model railways. Fit speakers to all as opposed to having to set up the production line to do it and hten not do it and then prices will perhaps come down.

Don't forget these speakers are only a few quid so will hardly break the bank compared to other price rises we have had if they are pushing the price up

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2017, 12:49:42 pm »
Retrofitting sound to the Farish Castle requires you to mount the speaker and solder the speaker wires to the PCB board - dead simple compared to most sound fits, but still enough to deter many I imagine. I suspect that the speaker in the sound-fitted version is glued in to improve sound reproduction so it may not be practical to remove it for sale - but you could just sell the decoder, which represents 90% of the package cost.

Going off-topic a bit, but are there any photos online of how they've laid out the internals of the Castle? Would be interesting to see how they've fitted in space for a speaker in a steam loco (or does it go in the tender?)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2017, 12:51:38 pm »
or does it go in the tender?

It goes in the tender next to the DCC socket.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2017, 02:39:24 pm »
Is this a portent of things to come? What next? Everything DCC fitted with the onus on DC users to buy a blanking plate and remove the chip?

I suspect for some things there will be enough of a price differential to make it not worthwhile but the cost of a speaker is so cheap that it really is a very marginal cost difference between including it or not. For something like a DCC decoder the price is higher so you're probably not going to see them fitted as standard unless you need the functionality (there are some things that are just easier to do in a restricted space with a DCC decoder).

Cheers, Mike

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2017, 02:58:25 pm »
or does it go in the tender?

It goes in the tender next to the DCC socket.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks. Presumably he solder points for it are on the circuit board beside the space for it? Seems surpring that they havent' done as with the 40s and included the speaker in all of them whether or not a sound decoder was factory-fitted.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2017, 03:08:28 pm »
Thanks. Presumably he solder points for it are on the circuit board beside the space for it?

They'll be on the PCB that the DCC decoder connects to, yes.

Cheers,
alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2017, 03:10:22 pm »
but the cost of a speaker is so cheap that it really is a very marginal cost difference between including it or not.

Bachmann will be buying (or making) these in bulk too, so the economies of scale will add to the fact the cost added to RRP is likely to be marginal as compared to buying a single speaker for a sound fit at retail prices.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 11:40:05 am »
Has anyone heard/seen this in person yet? At a show or some other display?

I have the sound fitted one on pre-order, but I'm nervous to shell out that much money without some good reviews and without hearing from the rank and file. I'm also nervous to NOT have it on pre-order due to the price, which I doubt will ever be lower than the pre-order discount we see now.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2017, 12:00:56 pm »
Even if you never buy another, it's well worth trying a sound-equipped loco just to see what the fuss is about.

Buying the Farish factory-fitted version will certainly be the cheapest way to do it and based on the Castle I'd expect it to come with a high quality sound decoder and a decent sounds package.

Either way you'll likely see the initial magazine reviews before your pre-order is activated.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:22:06 pm by longbow »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 12:23:32 pm »
I do like the E.E. Type 4s and have 4 green ones but I don't like fitted sound so will make do with the voicessounds I have in my memory bank (a very small branch).
It will take a great deal for me to buy the retooled silent version.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2017, 01:46:07 pm »
I do like the E.E. Type 4s and have 4 green ones but I don't like fitted sound so will make do with the voicessounds I have in my memory bank (a very small branch).
It will take a great deal for me to buy the retooled silent version.

They had pre-production samples on display at the York show a couple of months ago, and they really did look good - a massive improvement on the old model.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything