!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bachmann Class 40  (Read 22901 times)

Offline 47033

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
Re: Bachmann Class 40
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 04:20:01 pm »
I was planning on getting one of these but I may have to get a few more than one. It looks great and I think (hope) the gap between the bogie and body will look good from a normal viewing height.

I wonder does the nose comes off  ?

Again, it looks awesome. I just noticed there are no cab handrails.

Jamie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:38:37 pm by 47033 »

Online CaleyDave

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 05:02:04 pm »
The gap between the bogie and body is noticeable however is not a new problem. I had several Orribly oversized 40s all of which had noticeable gaps.
I assume no one has yet worked out how to create a 40 bogie which looks good and still goes around corners.

Shame the switch to turn the tail lights off isn't more accessible but better needing to take the body off to flick a switch than cut a wire.

I am glad the capability's of the NEXT18 decoder are being used to give us the additional lighting and we will hopefully get a great example of why, non steam traction, will benefit from the new decoder's over the 6 pins.

The end of the nose does to allow for the different headcode/lack off arrangements.

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 05:45:58 pm »
Hello,

In such a small scale it would be almost impossible to fit switches underneath the loco, especially with such a small boiler water tank on the 40.

My main gripe is the huge amount of back-scene visible between body and bogie, plus the radiator fan grill is extremely clumsy.

Also no split headcode version. I know they only numbered 20, but they look nicer than the centre headcodes and have never been covered by Farish before. It looks like the front-ends are interchangeable, so not difficult to add to the range...

Some great ideas in the spec though, especially the cab lights. Will the cab interior be fully detailed including traincrew etc?  ;)
Cheers
Paul

@Calnefoxile asked the BachFarish rep the same question about the split-head code version and didn't receive a negative response.

I will let Neil confirm exactly what was said as I don't want to miss-quote anybody.

Skyline2uk

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 07:30:32 pm »
Mods, shouldn't this thread be in the "BachFar Diesel/Electric" forum?  Having seen a thread about this loco on RMWeb a couple days ago I looked for a thread on this site where I expected to find it... but it wasn't there.  Only by luck did I see a post on the topic in the "Recent Posts" section.

Just a suggestion, of course.

Matt
Moderator Comment At the risk of upsetting the Governor it is done :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:43:41 pm by Caz, Reason: added note »

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »
Hello,

[edit]

Also no split headcode version. I know they only numbered 20, but they look nicer than the centre headcodes and have never been covered by Farish before. It looks like the front-ends are interchangeable, so not difficult to add to the range...

[edit]

Paul

@Calnefoxile asked the BachFarish rep the same question about the split-head code version and didn't receive a negative response.

I will let Neil confirm exactly what was said as I don't want to miss-quote anybody.

Skyline2uk

Regarding the nose ends. I am hopeful that because they are clearly a separate part, a split-box version will be tooled and offered in the future.

Regarding the bogie/body gap, since I couldn't find this thread earlier I posted the following on a different web forum.  The picture links show pretty well that Bachmann can do better than this EP with regard to the gap.  I hope they do.

"Regarding the evolution of the Farish 40 bogie/body gap...

1.) Poole Farish:
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/8115Farish-LN_3074678_Qty1_1.jpg
and
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/8115Farish_3074653_Qty1_ruler.jpg

2.) Bachmann first split chassis release with Poole body:
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-176-LN01_3199232_Qty1_1.jpg
and
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-175-U_3198660_Qty1_1.jpg

3.) Bachmann second split chassis release with Poole body:
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-178-LN-03_3153176_Qty1_1.jpg
and
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-177-HD_3174074_Qty1_1.jpg

4.) Bachmann third split chassis release with Poole body:
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-178A-LN-03_3153175_Qty1_1.jpg
and
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-178A_27385_Qty1_2.jpg
and
https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/371-177A-LN-01_3111486_Qty1_1.jpg

I have (more than!) several examples of each of the variants.  I can say that the pictures above accurately reflect the gap on the models "in the flesh" based on the sample size I have for each model.

The Poole Farish bodies have a habit of not sitting perfectly level so that the body can be slightly higher above the bogie at one end compared to the other.  For the Bachmann releases, there was very slight variation in the gap between the individual models of each release, mostly attributable to how loose the body was on the chassis - the looser the fit, the lower the body sat.  Bachmann's first and second releases of the split chassis version had the bodies reliably level and close to the bogies.  Bachmann's third release of the split chassis version, however, while level, had an inexplicably larger gap than the prior two releases.  I've studied my own models carefully as to why and my best guess is that it is because the bodies on that release seem to fit much more snugly to the chassis.

Anyhow, the current EP looks closest to that third Bachmann release.  I hope that it can be improved upon and the gap made smaller."

Matt
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:48:27 pm by oreamnos »

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 10:19:10 pm »
I was planning on getting one of these but I may have to get a few more than one. It looks great and I think (hope) the gap between the bogie and body will look good from a normal viewing height.

Again, it looks awesome. I just noticed there are no cab handrails.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

If you look carefully, being so deeply recessed, the cab handrails very logically form part of the body moulding.

Regards

Roy

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 11:08:16 am »
Price & availability date now on the Farish website....

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=farish&prod=1

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 11:21:27 am »
Oh dear. It looks so good I feel an addition to my pre order list coming on :doh:
I wonder what the price will be on arrival :worried:

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:39 am »
I wanted a green one with sound... @Steve Purves is the site wrong or are you only doing the Blue on with sound now ?

Cheers Paul.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:34 am »
I wanted a green one with sound... @Steve Purves is the site wrong or are you only doing the Blue on with sound now ?

Cheers Paul.

A second appeal for green with sound, I would have thought the lesson would have been learned with the 108 - most people I have spoken to who showed an interest said it would have been nailed on if green so why go for another blue era model?

Roy

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:32 pm »
so why go for another blue era model?
Roy

Simple marketing - Bachmann have commonly done this - put a lesser desired item out first, or in the lesser livery, in the hope that basically folk will buy it *and* the one they really want.

Same has happened with train sets - Deltic in proper as built livery in the set; the later preservation (more vibrant, but inaccurate) livery as a separate loco meaning to get the accurate model for the days when it actually ran in service, you need to buy the set.

Having said that, for the 40, Blue is still likely to be a popular livery I'd have thought - for the DMUs plain blue seems the least desired livery of all those possible.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 12:12:03 pm »
.. Also no split headcode version. ...

Regarding the nose ends. I am hopeful that because they are clearly a separate part, a split-box version will be tooled and offered in the future. ...

371-183DS Class 40 40141 BR Blue Split Head Code Digital Sound
http://www.bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/farish/371-183DS.jpg&cat_no=371-183DS&info=0&width=800&height=243
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Hunslet 707

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 12:53:50 pm »

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 01:04:11 pm »
Link to the latest update:

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=397

Those three pics illustrate perfectly how the degree to which the bogie-body gap is a problem changes relative to the viewing angle.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 02:56:04 pm »
It's not just the angle, the narrative makes reference to improving the ride height.

Roy

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything