!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!  (Read 25516 times)

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
Re: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2016, 02:39:08 pm »
quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten

A more suitable quotation of Sir Henry Royce I couldn't wish to see.

As others have said, Revolution should be about producing the very best of what N can be and I for one certainly support this philosophy.

Whilst I have no interest in the Class Bs other than general Railway interest, I have committed to supporting the 92s.

I am sadly not wealthy enough to order any proposed product mearly to "help them over the line" (I would if I could), but should anything else be announced that is in my chosen modelling scope I will be right there.

The CADs for these tankers look impressive to me, clearly researched and not at all generic. For those modellers who want some of these in their fleet I have my fingers crossed.

Skyline2uk
LNER A3 and A4....check
Deltic.....check
HST set......surely?!

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4129.msg46795#msg46795

Online Byegad

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2016, 03:01:29 pm »
What has been said about the relevance or otherwise of the choice of tanker is true and in a perfect and cash rich situation I'd be ordering 20 of what will/could be a great model. However,  given what stock I already own and the state of my finances I have other priorities for purchases.  I do hope that you get the necessary funding to go ahead with production.  All I'm saying is that the model isn't a sufficiently different item for me to buy it.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2016, 05:00:27 pm »
Hmmm

How about this for a theory?

Sweeping generalisation coming up. :)

People model the transition era, as it allows then to construct relatively small but realistic layouts. This saves money for those who don't have unlimited resources. A realistic layout can be had with maybe 3 loco's 6 coaches, and maybe 24 wagons.

These layouts probably aren't roundy roundy, and it may be that a rake of 20 tanks, or even coal wagons, would look out of place as it would be too long.

As a result, if my presumptive presumptions are correct, then the typical transition era modeller would only have room for 4 or 5 wagons of any type on their layout.

By way of contrast, I'm modelling in N because I want a large layout, not necessarily a 'busy' one, but one that can accommodate realistic length modern trains and give them a large space to stretch their legs, I also model contemporary trains because that's what I can see.

As a result if I'm the typical N gauge modern era modeller I'll buy large rakes of wagons because that's what I see running around today. I typically try to acquire around 18 of any particular bogie wagon type. With Farish and Dapol products I spread out the purchases, with Revolution, I have to buy them all at once. But I'm lucky in that both my wife and myself work and our kids are grown and we have grandchildren. So I can justify indulging myself as the grandkids love playing trains when they are here.

So in conclusion to my great theory.

Transition era modellers models short trains and don't buy long rakes.
Modern modellers (the rest of Revolutions target audience) model long trains and buy long rakes of wagons.
Finally Class B tanks are half as big as TEA's so Revolution have to sell twice as many to make it viable  :D

REMEMBER THIS IS ALL TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK

John P

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: December 14, 2016, 05:07:44 pm »
Be careful John the leash I am holding the transition modellers on will only take so much strain  :P

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2016, 06:22:13 pm »
John has something there, ive only bought nine because in my just after transition era layout nine is a long enough rake i dont need 18+ and one rake will be enough!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:38:18 pm by Only Me »

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: December 14, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »
We are constantly being told that transition era modellers are the most numerous so even if they buy fewer the total number of modellers modelling that era should (in theory at least) more than make up for that.

Cheers Mike

Offline jrb

• Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »
I really hope this project goes ahead. Having said that, it seems unfortunately that there's a reasonable chance it won't.

So, here's a question that I don't think has been asked before. If Mike/Ben/Revolution decide that they cannot take the project any further, what are the chances that they could pass/sell the project (including CAD drawings, supplier pricing, expressions of interest etc.) to the NGS, so they could take it forward?

They seem to have much more success with transition era models. It's been suggested that (in general) transition modellers are less likely to go for crowdfunding, and maybe the NGS is in a better position to offer this model through their funding method.

Obviously Revolution would need to refund all the deposits, but then everyone could re-order from the NGS. Revolution could get some of the money back that they've invested in the CAD work, the NGS would get a jump-start on another R-T-R model that would fit well with their existing range, and we'd get our tankers! Everyone wins...

Besides, it would be a shame for all that lovely CAD work to go to nothing...

It might be a little premature suggesting this now - as I said I really do hope Revolution can take it forward - but it might be an option to bear in mind IF the decision is taken to cancel it.
I'm supporting Revolution Trains' Class 'B' project:

Offline Western Exile

• N Gauge Society Number: 23198
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2016, 07:10:10 pm »
Sounds like a perfectly good "plan B" to me (no pun intended, honestly  ::)) Cue howls of protest from non-members of the NGS...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:52:48 pm by Western Exile, Reason: Unintended pun used. »

Offline jrb

• Awards
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2016, 07:37:53 pm »
Sounds like a perfectly good "plan B" to me.

I see what you did there  :smiley-laughing:

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: December 16, 2016, 09:21:24 am »
Sounds like a perfectly good "plan B" to me (no pun intended, honestly  ::)) Cue howls of protest from non-members of the NGS...

Hi

Another good reason to join then  :D

Cheers

Paul

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: December 16, 2016, 10:21:30 am »
I really hope this project goes ahead. Having said that, it seems unfortunately that there's a reasonable chance it won't.

So, here's a question that I don't think has been asked before. If Mike/Ben/Revolution decide that they cannot take the project any further, what are the chances that they could pass/sell the project (including CAD drawings, supplier pricing, expressions of interest etc.) to the NGS, so they could take it forward?

They seem to have much more success with transition era models. It's been suggested that (in general) transition modellers are less likely to go for crowdfunding, and maybe the NGS is in a better position to offer this model through their funding method.

Obviously Revolution would need to refund all the deposits, but then everyone could re-order from the NGS. Revolution could get some of the money back that they've invested in the CAD work, the NGS would get a jump-start on another R-T-R model that would fit well with their existing range, and we'd get our tankers! Everyone wins...

Besides, it would be a shame for all that lovely CAD work to go to nothing...

It might be a little premature suggesting this now - as I said I really do hope Revolution can take it forward - but it might be an option to bear in mind IF the decision is taken to cancel it.

That is a nice idea, but I see a couple of pretty major stumbling blocks!

Firstly the potential conflict of interest - we have already had accusations from a few quarters that Ben and my involvement with the NGS's product development (Ben as Vice President and me as a Committee member for product development) and Revolution is a conflict.  Selling our (failed) work to the NGS feels like a potentially very difficult situation! We have been very careful to strictly delineate our NGS and Revolution work.

Secondly, if sales have been so low for Revolution I'm not sure in all good conscience that I could recommend that the NGS invested in the Class B (unless we are really convinced that it is the funding method and not a combination of other reasons eg there are already sufficient tanks out there for people who don't mind that they aren't 35t class B tanks).

Cheers, Mike

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: December 16, 2016, 10:34:00 am »
Hello all,

The NGS will be unveiling its next RTR model in JOunral 1/'17.

We are giving the Class B tanks until at least February and still hopeful that the extra time will get them there.

In terms of passing on the CADs to the NGS, as an NGS Vice President I have a huge conflict of interest, so will say nothing other than this:  Our funding model works on sales of significantly less than the NGS would need; if we are unsuccessful then I would have very serious reservations about the NGS taking it on.

(EDIT: the above was written as Mike was making his post; but I think we are both of a like mind!)

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline jrb

• Awards
« Reply #282 on: December 16, 2016, 06:37:18 pm »
Ben, Mike,

Fair enough. Sounds like there's several good reasons why that couldn't/shouldn't happen, then. I appreciate the time & honesty taken to answer my question.

Maybe I need to start buying lottery tickets....

Jonathan

Offline rusticged

• N Gauge Society Number: 9108
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2016, 04:36:49 pm »
 :wave:
Ben & Mike
I am delighted that you are keeping this project open until the end of February, after the Glasgow Show. It deserves as much success as all the other Revolution projects.
I believe there is a very good chance of success with more orders arriving after modellers have got over the expense of Christmas. The deposit system is a great help, as people could order a few each month at the same time as saving up to pay the balance.
Keep up the good work gents, it is greatly appreciated.
Ged
Rusticged

Layout: 'Leefield & Ashpeth'
Modelling Freelance British outline from the 1960s to the Present day.

Online Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2016, 05:34:34 pm »
If anyone has Xmas money to spend, and models the late 70's to early 90's, how about modelling one of these?

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/042155a

Anything marked ZRW on the Departmental pages will most likely be one of these.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here