!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!  (Read 25538 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:49:06 am »
Revolution Trains, the new company that uses crowd funding principles to produce niche train models, has listened to modellers on the N Gauge Forum clamouring for 1950s and 60s era products by offering the much-requested Class B fuel tanker.

Hundreds of these tankers were built from the mid 1950s and they remained in service until the 1990s.

The Class B tank was designed for carrying heavier oils and had a shorter barrel than the Class A which was built to carry the same weight of lighter petrol fuel.  If the Class B model is successful and reaches its minimum order threshold then we will also produce the Class A tanker.

The wagons were developed by wagon builder Charles Roberts Ltd in co-operation with Esso, but were also used by Regent/Texaco, Mobil/Charrington, the CEGB and in plain colours for many other fuel flows.

They were in widespread use from the mid 1950s and are equally at home behind 9F or a Black 5 steam locomotives as behind a Brush Type 4 or pairs of BRCW Type 3s.

At this year's International N Gauge Show at Leamington visitors were able to inspect the first CADs of the model, which is already under development.

The model is being designed by former Farish engineer Colin Allbright, who also created the Ultima brand before joining Bachmann following its take over of Graham Farish in 2000 and will be manufactured in China and feature numerous separate detail parts, body-mounted NEM kinematic close-couplers and photo-etched catwalk details.

The prototype wagons featured two different suspension types and both are being offered.  The models will be available singly at £19.50 each or in triple packs (£58.50 each) with different running numbers.

The liveries available will be:

1)  Black with Esso branding on original suspension.

2)  Red with Mobil/Charrington branding on original suspension

3)  Plain black on original suspension

4)  Black with Regent branding on revised suspension

5)  Black with Texaco branding on revised suspension

6)  United Molasses brown/blue on revised suspension

(Note: The triple pack will feature one vehicle on original suspension and in prototypically accurate all-brown livery.)

These models represent a first for the NGF - being a direct result of the campaign led by Scott Stitchell and Bob Gregory who made a compelling case for them and Mike and I at Revolution are hoping that this will be the first example of a successful crowd funded pet-project inspired directly by supporters.

We had planned to focus on the modern day scene, after the failure of our class 21/9 locomotive this time last year, but we were persuaded to look again at the traditionally dominant steam/diesel transition era and offer its supporters a chance to step forward.

Our crowd-funding methodology is still in its early years, and we are still learning, but in less than two years we have gone from raising interest in a Class 390 Pendolino to have an approval-ready working sample, and in less than 18 months from announcing TEA tanker models to having them en route to the UK ready for delivery to our customers.

We anticipate more new product announcements over the coming weeks, and while we are waiting until we have actually started delivering models before announcing more, we will be happy to chat to visitors about our plans, and listen to any suggestions, going forward.

cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:59:03 am by Sprintex, Reason: Swapped pictures to match descriptions »

Offline REGP

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
Re: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:19 am »
 :claphappy:

Oh dear (or words to that effect) having just ordered the carsflats l was going to be a good boy and not order any more rolling stock this year.

Now I'll have to find out did they run in mixed rakes of different companies and or types of suspension.

Where do I order some?

We'll done guys!

Ray

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:44:25 am »
I want at least 3 of these wagons, so where can i sign up?
N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline n1ghtmare

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »
Help!!!!! cant see the images only get the following;

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:24:23 pm by n1ghtmare »

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 12:25:54 pm »
Help!!!!! cant see the images only get the following;

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Some others said the same, and I changed a setting.  Try pressing the Ctrl and F5 button at the same time to refresh your browser please. :-\

Offline n1ghtmare

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 12:44:36 pm »
Sorry, no joy.  Have also tried in a different browser but get the same result

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:22:38 pm »
I see pics ok on my iPad, if that helps.

One each of the black livery triple packs, please! I guess once TINGS is over this will appear on revolutiontrains.com and we'll be able to 'pre-order' there.

Great news for us 1970s modellers. Many thanks to Scott and Bob for kicking off the thread a while ago. And thanks to Mike and Ben for taking it up. N gauge is just getting better all the time!  My wallet is breathing into a paper bag now, having just signed up for carflats too...

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS Vice President, Contributor to Model Rail
    • A Pendolino in N
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 02:29:37 pm »

Hello all,

Just stopped for a breather but as ever a busy show.

The actual order pages for the Class B tankers (and the hi-cube containers) will go up as soon as Mike can get around to it - hopefully early next week.

Thanks for all the support.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Mark

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 04:53:24 pm »
Really delighted at this anouncement.  After Bob & Scott's persuasive pitch earlier in the year I'd been hoping one of the manufacturers would take the plunge and am very pleased it's Revolution. 

Will place an order / expression of interest in the Esso tanks when the website's ready.  If there's sufficient interest in this version would you consider additional triple packs with different running numbers?

Really hope this proves to be a first (and overdue) transition-era winner for you. 

Mark

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 06:02:18 pm »
Thanks for giving us transition modellers something to take you up on. I wish you success.
The numerous separate detail parts concerns me slightly but that's a physical thing.
@Ben A
@Tank

The pics 4 and 5 look to be transposed to me

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 07:45:43 pm »
:claphappy:

Oh dear (or words to that effect) having just ordered the carsflats l was going to be a good boy and not order any more rolling stock this year.

Now I'll have to find out did they run in mixed rakes of different companies and or types of suspension.

Where do I order some?

We'll done guys!

Ray

Ray

Everyone seems surprised that Revolution are doing these - not least of whom me, cos they didn't tell me, but at least its getting done and I wish the project a huge success.

The wagons can be run either in block trains or as a small handful in mixed freights. However there are some specific uses worth noting.

The ESSO ones were well known for the Fawley run and others - block trains of either Class A or Class B tanks, many tens of wagons long. I will personally be funding this project by ordering a shedload of ESSO branded ones for haulage by Eastleigh based 9Fs or a couple of green 33s.

The UM wagons were also on block trains from Liverpool or Hull to Stirling.

I don't think I've ever seen them in mixed rakes from different petroleum companies, as they would have operated from refinery to distribution points, and the refineries were owned by individual companies.

The unbranded tanks look like departmental waste oil tanks which could be run singly, dating from 1983-93, but the Esso ones lost their discs and ESSO Petroleum branding, but retained the double stars in the 1970s. Had better talk with Ben and Mike to see which version this is intended to be.

The Farish 13t high sided steel opens, 377-951, make excellent barrier wagons, BTW, but barrier wagons were not obligatory on class B workings, only on Class A block tanker trains, as the fuel in Class A tanks is more volatile.

HTH
Bob

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 08:16:10 pm »
Thanks Bob.

When in the 70s did the Esso branding get removed? Hopefully not all before 1975.

Looks like I'll be ordering a few triple packs of the Esso ones, then. Ray's suggestion of different triple packs with alternative running numbers would be a great way to go... but I guess otherwise I'll just be renumbering them.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 08:36:23 pm »

Everyone seems surprised that Revolution are doing these - not least of whom me, cos they didn't tell me, but at least its getting done and I wish the project a huge success.
Bob

Bob

I thought it was good that the N Gauge Forum, Scott and you get a specific mention in the announcement with credit for the research and prsentation of information. Without that input there would be no project. I am in for the UM wagons with a wayside loading point fed by road tanker as often happened. Not all the sugar factories had space for beet wagons, limestone wagons and molasses tanks to be handled when production was in full swing. This even applied at some of the bigger factories like Peterborough, and continued after the beet campaign was over, and well into the late spring.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association Française des Amis du N (AFAN)

Offline REGP

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 09:30:34 pm »
Bob G, thanks very much for all that info and your & Scotts efforts in persuading RevolutioN to take the plunge!

I had hoped to run  a mixed rake  of Esso & Charrington (Only because I like the Red livery) tankers but it looks like I will be running a couple of shortish rakes unless (or until) the Class A comes along.

So I'll keep details of those barrier wagons in case, but wonder if they were retained at the end of Class A trains once Guards moved into the rear diesel cab, any idea?

Thanks again

Ray

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 09:45:02 pm »
Hi folks

The project and ordering pages will be put up on our website when I get home Monday or Tuesday - straight off train from leamington and now currently on Eurostar to Brussels!

Cheers Mike

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything