!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DC controllers  (Read 1682 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: DC controllers
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 02:04:15 pm »
Hi - I have some old second hand H&M DC controllers for my new N gauge layout. I read from one NGF member on a different thread that I should be wary with new locos using this - What do you think? I have a mixture of old and some new...

12 used:
  • MINITRIX - 2x BR class 27 Diesel,  Ivatt Tank 2-6-2T Black BR, A4 Mallard Green  4-6-2 N211, 2 x 9F 2-10-0 BR Black -N203, Brittania class  70000 4-6-2
  • Graham Farish: BR class 4 ex LMS Fowler 4F 0-6-0,  Jinty 3F 0-6-0 LMS Black, BR Shunter 0-6-0 Diesel, A3 Prince Pallatine 4-6-2
  • Lima Deltic Diesel in Green
And 2 New Graham Farish: Jubilee class in Maroon - LMS  4-6-0; and Ivatt 2-6-0 tender in LMS black (Class 2 mixed traffic) and one new DAPOL A4 Blue for running fancy expresses!

I have had no problems so far but these are only short test runs not extended use, and i don't want to burn out the motors...those members with new GF and Dapol what do you think?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:14:57 pm by DarrwestLU6, Reason: sorting out my formatting! »

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 02:22:22 pm »
DarrwestLU6  I would invest in a New Morley controller this is just pure DC and comes complete with two controllers on the case and two switchable  plug in handheld controllers and a built in C D U + auxiliary output for accessories . The old style H&M’s  are not really suitable for the latest motors but can be used for lights ,signals etc etc .
If you do still use the old one DO NOT USE THE HALF WAVE OR PULSE FEATURES  it will damage your latest locos.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 02:36:07 pm »
I'd go along with what Bob has said but wouldn't necessarily go 'new' for the controller. I bought my Vortrack one second hand about 5 years ago and am very happy with it. If you just need a twin track with built in CDU and accessory port then think about the Vesta.............

http://morleycontrollers.com/shopexd.asp?id=28

It just so happens Ray has one for sale on the N'Porium......

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=classifieds;sa=view;id=3309

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 04:25:26 pm »
I am careful with money so I simply bought a Gauge master hand held unit and used the AC output from my old H&M as the power source. Works fine. You do of course need a separate AC supply for each controller.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 06:16:45 pm »
Hi - I have some old second hand H&M DC controllers for my new N gauge layout. I read from one NGF member on a different thread that I should be wary with new locos using this - What do you think?

Which controller exactly - Duette or Clipper type of unit in the grey box, with half-wave switch etc.?   They're rather too coarse for modern N models and the overload cut-out is probably tuned too high.. The old Minitrix stuff from the 70s and 80s can cope reasonably well but avoid half-wave as it just growls!

I've gutted my old Clipper of its resistance mat and fitted a panel mount Gaugemaster 100 (complete with LED) powered by the original transformer.  It works well as a spare, for bench testing etc.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:12:49 am »
Yes I have H&M Duettes. Thanks for the advice I’ll be careful not to run on half wave and may invest in Morley.

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: Today at 03:40:44 am »
Firstly a confession - I am awake at night and have not read through the whole thread but need to issue a potential warning.
H&M duette controllers -
the old grey metal box type are fine for n gauge but do NOT use the half wave bit as this will de-magnetise the motor.
the newer plastic Hornby duette is a feedback controller and will burn out N gauge motors - I nearly found out the expensive way.

I still use an old duette plus  gaugemaster controllers.

I have a question regarding the old duette - does anyone know who can do repairs. My duette is now a single controller as one of the controls only cuts in at a scale 100mph. The other one can still do crawling speed. It was a Christmas present in 1980 and I would love to keep it going.

Elmo

Offline Foster

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: Today at 03:59:05 am »
 Go to BR Lines web site, and look at the nice controller he carries. They only need a 12 - 16 volt A.C. input to function, and are safe with all locos. :)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything