!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: To be named  (Read 789 times)

Offline Vonk

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
To be named
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:35:57 pm »
Having previously started working on a large DCC layout but no time or space currently to progress this is what I am going to tinker with while sorting home (it does get in the way this "life").
I have purchased some box files from a local store which annoyingly have plastic ends to the boxes but on second thoughts this is quite useful for extra strength.
My plan is to attach 2 boxes together and make it transportable in this way. I intend to use DCC for running the system but at the current time i am either thinking invest in the kato track which has built in motors or just use wire in tube... once I have a better idea of a plan this will be finalised.

The layout will end up being an end to end layout which will end up 4 boxes in length but the way to achieve this I am going to have it so that the box lids either together to one side or split either side... this will become more apparent once i have decided. The main join between the 2 boxes I am actually going to keep the support plastic there and build a removable bridge (or other over type thing) over the top which will fit snugly and help be part of the reinforcement to keep the boxes together when running.

I am unsure of the actual setting but i think this will come in time. I am thinking branch line running to a loading dock in a station/canal terminus or industrial bay at a factory/mill etc. Or have it as a run through similar where train stops roughly central and then will carry on. However the second idea I doubt would be quite so realistic on a branch line in my opinion. It is likely to be a mainly shunting set up where if i go with a small station as part of it we could have a loco stop once a week. I have already made a start on cutting the plastic ends to be able to manipulate them in the way i hope and have cut out the spring loaded finger/mouse traps they had. Next job is to measure it properly and get onto SCARM to throw around some rough ideas and try and get an idea of what will feel ok to tinker with and ultimately play with (I admit I like playing trains!). This should also keep my 4 + 6 year old nephew + niece happy as they are desperate to play proper trains.

Final note the plan with the fold out box lid is that will become a fiddle yard/s so will have track laid to it and then i will fashion a removable section of track that can just fill the gap when the layout is being run. All buildings over about 1 inch tall are likely to be removable partly to keep weight down but also to help reduce damage when being moved.

No era decided yet most of my DCC stock is modern era mainline larger stuff but I generally feel with these smaller layouts a more "vintage" feel or even preserved line feel will work better so I think I will be going to be using steam on this layout. By keeping it "simple" i should be able to run DC instead sometimes which will allow me to use it as a running in space (using rolling road) or even just to keep older stock running while I decide what to do with it all.

Any tips suggestions ideas will be happily received as always.
My layout thread - Blackstone

Offline Vonk

• Awards
Re: To be named
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:54:05 pm »
So to sum this all up quickly. I am going to use Kato unitrack as it seems easiest to incorporate with the motors already built in which saves me the complication of either finding a motor system to use or fitting rods to save resorting to hand of god. I just need to work out best decoder for this to work with DCC as I don't want to use the digitrax DS64 due to the size.

Plan now is taking inspiration from some pictures i found of the manchester ship canal. See image below... Blue area is canal, Grey area is loading bay/crane area and orange area will have relevant buildings for this are. Gap to the top right will just be leading into off scene area buildings etc not sure how but maybe some sort of coaling/water area can be incorporated. Obviously such a small layout can easily become over detailed so I need to be careful I don't squeeze in too much. The track going from top to bottom is just my easy way to show me the middle of the boxes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:49:09 pm by Vonk »

Offline cjdodd

• Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 02:54:48 pm »
Looks good keep us posted with your progress and of course lots of pictures as you develop the layout.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 05:13:22 pm »
I can't see the picture and if I click on the thumbnail I get taken to Google :confused2: :'(

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 05:35:02 pm »
I would guess the link goes to a personal image not marked as public on Google @Vonk

Offline Vonk

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 07:49:55 pm »
It should have worked however I have tried a different storage location and it appears to work for me but that is most probably just because it is my log in  :hmmm:

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 10:59:26 pm »
Yep, working now, thanks.

Offline Vonk

• Awards
Blackstone Wharf / Blackstone Sidings
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 10:33:20 pm »
So a productive (expensive) day had at TINGS today. Have bought the track + spare for my required layout plan. Kato track is so simple for something like this but I can see why a lot of the rivet counters do not like it as it is not the most realistic but I am sure with a bit of work it can look ok. On the 2.5hour drive to TINGS I had an epiphany about how I can make this layout computerised.

I am going to use 1 box lid as the "fiddle yard" and the other lid I am going to mount my wiring loom to. I spoke to Fiona at DCC supplies and she can get me spare connectors for the digitrax modules so I can have the wiring loom set up on a board similar to my main layout and then I can move the actual board for a PM42 and BDL 168 to my tiny layout. Yes it is overkill on block detection but why waste money on buying new stuff when I have this available. She gave me good advice as usual on the most cost effective way to purchase point decoders and what she finds has worked best for her customers with the Kato track. I then spent money on a couple of different but similar era pannier tanks and then thought i had best get decoders so back to Fiona who was happy to let me spend money.

I hadn't realised the crossover I put in the layout plan wasn't a double slip similar to what I have used with peco track so I have had to buy 2 points which is a bit longer but over all I am quite happy with the amount of track and the shunting space I will have. Very impressed with the kato overall for something like this I just need to make the top left "holding" lines feel right for what I want.

Pannier being run in on the useful wheel cleaner. I couldn't find a bit of track to connect to my DC controller and use my rollers but now I have so future ones can use the rollers. This loco now has a decoder fitted and after a bit of fighting with decoder pro I have remember how to set it up and I am very happy to say it is programmed basically and ready to run.

Now I have no excuse to crack on with this... however I am considering making a video diary of this build so.... I may use that as an excuse... I need better lighting, better camera, better..... you get the picture (no pun intended)

Must say it is exciting being enthusiastic again about this and I have this evening even managed to do some fault finding on my main layout which wasnt planned. Any hints and tips re laying kato and even prepping kato will be appreciated although i have started reading the dedicated threads

Edit - Also name for layout partially decided and will be sticking to my previous naming on layouts as this links to my father who got me into this hobby
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:35:44 pm by Vonk »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 08:57:10 am »
Although I am not a Kato track user I believe the best way to disguise the high plastic ballast shoulder is to infill with cork up to a height you would normally expect the ballast to be. I also suspect that if you don't do this then any buildings other than Kato will actually sit too low, particularly if you intend to have a loading/unloading bay on a goods shed, for instance.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:15:56 am »
Yep, I'm not a Kato man either, but NPN's advice seems good to me. It would not be difficult to bring the ground up, and I must admit I've seen some impressive disguising jobs both here and in the press.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Vonk

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »
So been very busy today ... I purchased so tape and taped the boxes together. I have then cut a piece of ply to fit in the boxes and finally... Cut the lids off.

I think I will put some little "risers" under the ply even just cm so I can run wires under the ply. I have some thick ply which if u cut strips off this may do the job. This will then allow me to feed out relevant power bus etc to where my controllers will connect.

I am feeling slightly excited about the fun of having to try and hide wiring in an almost impossible amount of space.

Regarding suggestions above I think I will buy some cork tiles and cut in where the track will sit which should help raise the surrounding areas. My next task will be to buy the needed decoders etc so I can start wiring before I stick down the track too permanently which means no running trains at this time

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything