!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 142542 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2775 on: October 12, 2018, 12:55:40 pm »
A full update, also answering the request of Chris (Weave) has been posted on my Cant Cove thread.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2776 on: October 12, 2018, 05:26:55 pm »
Back Story (continued)
Friday 12/10/2018

Gossip is abounding in Marton Hinmarche about some sort of ‘Do’ happening at Beresford Hall, but details are sketchy and almost non-existent.  This has, of course, led to more gossip and speculation.  The Baron doesn’t want the details known, particularly because it might frighten off the royal person.  For this reason, there has been a certain amount of misinformation, so that conflicting dates have been intimated.  In addition, because it is thought likely that someone will get wind of one of the expresses making an unscheduled stop, both have been mentioned, in both the UP and DOWN directions.  The baron has also organised an event for the townspeople in the Dinsdale Hall and invited an important politician to come and make a speech about the future of the Aylesbury and Worcester railway and its effect on the town and the surrounding area.  Baron Tiverton’s driver, Biddles has been instructed to take the Phantom to the station and wait on all three dates until both expresses have passed.

More gossip has been taking place in the Post Office.  The Pullman’s booking clerk, Betty, is the sister of the Post Office counter clerk, Judy Gibson.  You may remember that they take it in turns to call each other on the telephone once a week.  This week, Betty told Judy that Pullman’s had received a special booking for a luxury coach to pick up a group of visitors from Marton Hinmarche station at 10:30 on 28th September.  Normally, there is no train at this time but, it is possible that the ‘Dragon Beach Express’ will be making a special stop to allow some VIPs to alight.  However, it is only a provisional booking, so the date and time could be changed.

On the day in question, Biddles arrived at the station, as planned.  However, there was no sign of the Pullman’s coach.  In the event, nothing happened, apart from the fact that a special delivery from Evenbury arrived at the restaurant, albeit, unknown to the locals, a delivery of non-perishables.  So, once again, the gossips began to lose interest in the possible events linked to Beresford Hall.  The following Wednesday, the Dragon Beach Express made an unscheduled stop at Marton Hinmarche and an additional carriage, added to the train earlier, was detached and the shunted into Platform 1 by 9744.  As the occupants were alighting from the carriage, a Pullman’s luxury coach arrived outside the station and the occupants of the additional carriage boarded it, to be whisked off to Beresford Hall.  The occupants in question turned out to be Lord and Lady Trevelver and the Chelsea Girls.  Nobody in the town seemed to notice the surreptitious arrival of the party from Cornwall.

The following day, the Dragon Beach Express made another unscheduled stop and detached another, previously added coach, which was once again shunted into Platform 1 by 9744.  Once again, the Pullman’s coach arrived and collected the alighting passengers with their luggage and whisked them off to Beresford Hall.  This party comprised Jose Maria de La Vega, mayor of Sant Cristofol, the capital of Izaro and his stunningly beautiful daughter, Sofia de La Vega.  Also in the party, were Xurde Valdez, Pedru Valdez, Catala Valdez, and Fermin Muguruza, together with Marielle Kerbriant, a young, tri-lingual Breton woman.  They had all travelled from Izaro via the Regleun to Porthsea Quay train ferry. 

Apparently, the original plan had been to run a special train from Cornwall to Marton Hinmarche to bring both parties along together.  However, there had been insufficient time to cram an extra train into the busy operational timetable of the Aylesbury and Worcester Railway and so it had been decided that the party from Cornwall would leave the previous day via a special coach to be added to various trains to reach its destination.  The party from Izaro arrived the following day and were transported to Marton Hinmarche.  The result was that they arrived a day later than the Cornish party.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2777 on: October 12, 2018, 09:39:20 pm »
The Wadebridge Yardmaster was most apologetic when calling Trevelver Castle after he had received the telegraphed details concerning the arrangements on the Aylesbury and Worcester railway.

Amanda, hearing this news, and almost back to her no-nonsense self, quickly talked to Sylvia and Eli, and a second special train was soon booked to take the coach conveying 'Continental Party' on its way, the following day, attached to a second sell-out Christmas Shoppers' Special to Paddington. Just like the first coach, also a BR WR BCK, this coach was detached at Reading by the station pilot, a "Manor' that the GWS (Bodmin) had reserved, (7816 "Frilsham Manor" still with its GWR tender), and added to an Oxford train where, on arrival, the station pilot, this time a 350bhp diesel-electric shunter, swiftly added it to the next Aylesbury and Worcester railway passenger service. Despite the Yardmaster's less than charitable comments, both coaches were smoothly transferred and the generous picnic hampers loaded at Cant Cove made the journey more than pleasant for their passengers and Marielle Kerbriant proved a most reliable and reassuring guide.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2778 on: October 13, 2018, 04:40:34 pm »
Back Story (continued)

The very next day, the Dragon Beach Express deposited a third auxiliary coach at Marton Hinmarche which was, once again, shunted into Platform 1, where there were now three such coaches.  There was a varied collection of guests who alighted from the coach on this occasion.  There were Giles Roskrow, Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador, Lord and Lady Poldain of Port Perran Manor and Sir David and Lady Rosemary Antrobus, Chairman of the Headland Brewery.  Also on board were Sir Horace Speakman Court and his wife Lady Alice, of Withy House, together with the owner of Sam’s Cider, Hugh Pocock and his wife Hillary, as well as the owner of Creech Ales, Peter Creech (5th generation) and his wife Penny plus the Director of Mid-Somerset Trading, Stephen Millards and his wife Wendy.  In addition, the "Castle Estates" top salesman, Brandon Williams was on board and there were two invited Perthshire guests, timber merchant, Bryan Ranch and Walter Nuttall (locally known as "Walnut" on account of his name).  The reason that the third coach was delayed by a further day was because of the additional time it took the two from Perthshire to travel down to Bristol, where they were able to board the special coach.  Once again, the whole party was collected by one of Pullman’s luxury coaches and whisked off to Beresford Hall.

By this time, none of the townsfolk had a clue what was going on at the Hall and, instead, they concentrated on the forthcoming event in the Dinsdale Hall in the centre of Marton Hinmarche.

On the following Saturday, another kitchen consignment from Evenbury arrived at Beresford Hall, much of which was destined to be prepared and then delivered to the Dinsdale Hall for the townsfolk’s event.  Biddles was despatched to the station with the Phantom to await the expresses.  The Dragon Beach Express went straight through, so Biddles waited on.  Earlier, Baron Tiverton had quietly left Beresford Hall in his Bentley Roadster, via the back entrance and driven to Aylesbury to meet the Dragon Beach Express.  There, a royal carriage had been detached from the rear of the train and the (unnamed) royal person had been shepherded from the train to where the good Baron was waiting.  The baron then took the royal person on to Beresford, to be the guest of the Dinsdales for the night. 

Eventually, the DOWN South Midlands Express made an unscheduled stop at Marton Hinmarche and the expected politician for the townspeople’s meeting alighted and was taken by Biddles to Beresford Hall, ready for his appearance at the Dinsdale Hall later that evening.  In the meantime, Alun and Frank, the new sous-chef, had been preparing everything for the event at the Dinsdale Hall.  It had also been leaked to the town gossips that there would be another delivery of produce to Beresford Hall the following Saturday, so it was credible for the townsfolk to expect that there might be an event at Beresford Hall the following week.  Of course, what they didn’t know, was that it would be part of the weekly consignment of weekend supplies for the restaurant.

Ernest Maples was made very welcome by Baron Toby and Lady Annabelle.  After a very convivial afternoon, Mr Maples was assisted in getting himself ready for his engagement at the Dinsdale Hall by the Tivertons’ butler, Bill Wilson, with some advice from the Trevelvers’ butler, Jenkins, who had accompanied the Trevelvers from Cornwall.  Once everything was ready, Mr Maples had a final practice of his speech, looking into the dressing table mirror, checking the timing on his wrist watch by placing it on the dressing table so that he could keep an eye on it while he was speaking. 

While Mr Maples was rehearsing his speech, Wally and his kitchen staff were preparing for the grand opening banquet.  By the time Biddles took Mr Maples off to the Dinsdale Hall, the guests were all taking their seats in the great hall.  The two butlers were put to work coordinating everything to ensure that the whole event would run smoothly.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2779 on: October 13, 2018, 07:04:52 pm »
Maples? and not Marples?

Giles Roskrow and Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador must have changed trains en route as they left Cant Cove in the first coach with their friends, the "Chelsea Girls" and Lord and Lady Trevelver.

Enka Lou-Lou joined the coach at Bristol and shared a compartment, much to their delight, with Bryan Ranch and Walter Nuttall, who helped her carry her precious guitars.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:55:59 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2780 on: October 13, 2018, 07:57:56 pm »
The Trevelvers’ butler, Jenkins, was an old friend of Bill Wilson as they had studied butlering together after being demobbed.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2781 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:31 pm »
Maples? and not Marples?
I think Ernie Marples would be too much of the real world!
Giles Roskrow and Captain Jeremy Corentyn Cador must have changed trains en route as they left Cant Cove in the first coach with their friends, the "Chelsea Girls" and Lord and Lady Trevelver.
I think they decided on seeing a Shakespearean production at Bristol Old Vic.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2782 on: October 14, 2018, 12:50:05 pm »
Very appropriately, Giles has secured four tickets for a production of “All’s Well That Ends Well” at the Bristol Old Vic, for Sylvia, Eli, Jeremy and himself.

The other details are on my Cant Cove thread. 8-)

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2783 on: October 14, 2018, 04:54:32 pm »
Here’s a picture of 9744 shunting the third coach into Platform 2

Back Story (continued)

Outside the Dinsdale Hall, those townspeople lucky enough to obtain a ticket, had begun to queue outside the door.  The tickets were priced at two and sixpence and were obtained by public ballot.  In order to obtain a ticket, townsfolk had to register at the Post Office and pay sixpence, a bit like buying a raffle ticket (the word lottery was not in common use in 1959).  Entry into the ballot was restricted to people over the age of twenty-one.  The week before the event, a hundred winning tickets were drawn from a drum and the owners were requested to pay a further two shillings.  Any unclaimed tickets were redrawn so that there were one hundred diners that night in the Dinsdale Hall, not including the speaker, Mr Maples and the Master of ceremonies, the town’s mayor.

Within the great hall at Beresford Hall, the invitees were beginning to file in.  The tables were arranged with each aligned with the axis of one of the seven windows.  A time lord was seated at the head of each table, each under his own name on the wall above the window.  The central window, opposite the kitchen was occupied by Dr How.  The others by Drs Who, Where, Why, When, What, and Which.  On Dr How’s table sat Baron Tiverton and Lady Annabelle together with the Royal person, Lord Trevelver, Lady Penelope and the Tiverton’s two sons, Marcus and Julius.  Some of the Chelsea girls sat with Dr Who while the party from Izaro sat with Dr Where.  The rest of the guests were seated at the remaining tables.

Although the fare for the townspeople’s event started life in the kitchens of Beresford Hall, the bulk of the preparation was carried out in the kitchens of the Dinsdale Arms Hotel and the final preparation within the Dinsdale Hall itself.  The hall had an open plan ground floor, originally intended as a market hall but, these days it was often used for events such as antiques and art fairs.  It lent itself ideally to the final preparation and serving of the food for the event upstairs.  The upper floor served as a council chamber, but also had a stage, on which were seated the Mayor and Ernie Maples.  The preparation was carried out by the kitchen and waiting staff from the Dinsdale Arms.  By this time, Alun and Frank were both free to devote all their attention on the grand opening of the Interrogative Seven.

Baron Tiverton had asked Jenkins, the Trevelvers’ butler, to be toastmaster for the grand opening, with the permission of the Trevelvers, naturally.  Jenkins was honoured to undertake the role “I would be delighted to, my Lord”.  He stood at a small lectern at the centre of the restaurant and brought his gavel down on the lectern with three smart taps. 

“My Lords, Ladies and gentlemen” he began, “Pray silence for His Royal Highness…” and here he mentioned the name of the Royal Person.  You will notice the use of the masculine pronoun, but this does not necessarily imply a male member of the Royal Family.  It has been used for the sake of literary continuity. 

The Royal Person got to his feet, cleared his throat and began “I would like to begin by thanking Baron Tiverton for inviting me down here to open this new restaurant.  I am especially enthusiastic about it because it is somewhere I will be able to bring people when we want to keep out of the public gaze.  When I first heard of the scheme, I thought it would be impossible to complete in the time available.  But I’m pleased to see that everyone pulled their fingers out and so here we are today, about to open, right on schedule.”

Here, he paused for a moment before continuing “Keeping out of the public gaze and, particularly, out of the gaze of the Daily Whale is very important to us.”  The Daily Whale was a pseudonym for a well-known national tabloid, some said because it told whoppers while others called it the Daily Wail because the reporters and editorial staff were always moaning on about something.

“Only this afternoon” he continued “one of its reporters was discovered trying to take photographs from within the park.  Fortunately, he was apprehended and his film was confiscated.  Apparently, he has been made an offer he could not refuse and word will never get out that there was any suspicion of this event ever having taken place.  I believe the good Doctors had something to do with this” he added with a chuckle.

He paused again before turning towards the kitchen entrance.  Above the doors to the kitchen was a small curtain and a sash cord.  He grasped the cord and turned back to the seated diners.  “Anyway, it gives me great pleasure to declare this restaurant open!”

At this point he pulled the cord to reveal a plaque commemorating the opening of the restaurant.  There was enthusiastic applause from the appreciative diners.  “So the best thing I can do now” he continued “is to shut up and let you all get on with enjoying the feast!”

At that, he sat down and Jenkins, gavel in hand, called the room to order and announced “Lord Trevelver will say Grace, after which, let the meal begin!”
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2784 on: October 15, 2018, 05:54:13 pm »
We returned home yesterday afternoon and today things reverted to normal with table tennis this morning.  That meant I was able to have a short session in the Train Shed.  In fact, I had a very short session in the Train Shed yesterday afternoon, when I took the picture of 9744 shunting the last carriage into Platform 1.  After that, I thought I would try running 9744 around the mainline circuit, using UP Loop 7 and DOWN Loop 16.  But it wasn’t very successful.  I tried running bunker first, but there were some problems.  Firstly, it kept stopping.  Each time it stopped, I gave the track in the vicinity of the stop a burnish with the Peco track rubber, which helped quite a bit.  But 9744 kept derailing on some of the points.  At first, I thought it was the check rail on one of them, so I eased it away from the stock rail a little using the screwdriver attachment on my Swiss Army knife.  But that didn’t cure the problem.  After a while, I realised that the Dapol Easy Shunt coupling was catching on the free point blade as it crossed it.  I removed the coupling and that seemed to do the trick.  That’s where I left it yesterday.

During this morning’s session I ran 9744 again, but one point was still giving trouble and that, indeed, turned out to be the check rail.  I eased it away from the stock rail, after which there was no further trouble from points.  But the erratic running continued, although it did improve considerably as time went by.

After table tennis, I had a few U3A-related tasks and, in the afternoon, I picked beans (in the rain, although it was only a light drizzle).  I picked almost 5lb of runners, but there are only a few fine beans left.  I think there will be some more runners to pick at the weekend, if there is no frost between now and then but, I suspect, that will be the end of the beans for this year.  In the end, we have managed to pick more than half the quantity that we harvested last year, but last year was a bumper crop and this year has been too hot and dry.  Eventually, I made my way to the Train Shed again.

9744 was now running so well bunker first that I had a choice of either trying it running forwards or setting the acceleration back to normal.  In the event, I plumped for the former, which turned out to be a mistake.  It now ran very erratically, stopping constantly.  After a couple of circuits, there was no improvement, so I turned it round to run bunker first again.  But that is when the folly of my original decision manifested itself.  It now ran very badly bunker first.  This is a phenomenon I have observed with other locos.  6417 runs very nicely in the forwards direction, but if I try to run it bunker first, that completely wrecks its running in in both directions.  The reverse is true of 80119.  The tender locos normally only run in the forwards direction, but I have noticed that the performance of 45206 suffers if I have to back it up because of an operational mistake.

Anyway, I persevered with bunker first running and, after a few circuits it returned to normal again and would even decelerate to a stop nice and smoothly.

After a while, I set its acceleration back to normal and, although it needed a lot of encouragement to start from rest, once running, it ran well.  The first two or three stops ended in a sudden stop, but after that, it would stop and start reasonably well, although it did need a nudge now and then to get it started.  Here’s 9744 shunting the three special coaches that arrived recently with the visitors to Beresford Hall.

Eventually, I ran it into the goods platform, ready for a timetabled operational session tomorrow.

Although today’s instalment of the back story is almost complete, I decided that it would be good to report real layout progress today, rather than the back story.  I will release the next instalment in the next day or two, although we are now approaching the end of the current strand of the story.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2785 on: October 15, 2018, 08:41:13 pm »
Thanks, Laurence. I need to add another episode from my side about the first group from Cornwall (and won't have time to do so, tomorrow), and the second group, the 'Continental party' (and Weave, (Chris), may also wish to?), and Martin might want to add something about the third (second Cornwall group) so a little break should suit everyone? You can then take over, as planned, for the final part(s) the actual ceremony, itself, with all the invited guests, including the grand finale.

Everyone will return on the same special train from Paddington, the three special coaches with the three groups being added to it at Reading, after picking up other passengers at Oxford, including Trevelver Castle's redoubtable Housekeeper, the wife of its Head Butler.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2786 on: October 16, 2018, 07:35:15 pm »
Today it was a Pilates morning.  I have been swimming recently on a Tuesday, but my back’s still not too good, so I thought a reduced Pilates session would be better.  However, I did manage a short session in the Train Shed before we went.  I ran the next cycle (7a/b/c) and all was well on the mainline, although the branch still continues to present problems.  On the main timetabled runs, it was only 5572 that needed a bit of nursemading but, on the run-arounds, all three required a little assistance.  On the mainline, Ditcheat Manor required a slight nudge to get it doing from the UP loops, but everything else was fine.

After the gym, it was our usual trip to J Sainsbury then, after something to eat, I spent quite a time slicing up runner beans and chopping fine beans.  After that, I picked some Ferline tomatoes before digging a few potatoes for chips this evening.  The Valour potatoes do made excellent chips, although they need more cooking than commercial potatoes.  Then, after a cup of tea, I made it back to the Train Shed again.

I had hoped to post some photos, but things didn’t go too well and I didn’t manage to get any pictures.  I began by giving 5572 the IPA treatment to its drivers in the hope that its running would improve.  In the event, it didn’t, but it often takes a day or two for the treatment to take effect.  I then ran the next cycle (8a/b/c).  When it came to 4571’s turn to run, it kept stopping at one set of points, with its wheels spinning.  On careful inspection, I deduced that the Easy-Shunt coupling under the bunker was fouling the free switch blade.  I tried to adjust the height of the operating lever but, rather clumsily, I broke off the coupling at the front pony truck.  I then found that, in adjusting the good coupling, I had lost the tiny spring that closes the coupling when it moves away from the magnet.  So I had to replace that coupling with a new one.  There is a moral to this.  When using non-standard NEM pockets on pony trucks, it is difficult to get the height exactly right.  Also, the tiny springs are likely to fly off (and never be seen again) when adjusting them. 

Once again, all the mainline operations were OK, apart from the fact that 45206 needed a bit of encouragement to get it started from Loop 8.  It then transpired that it had been derailed (although I don’t remember doing so).  So it was a bit of a frustrating session, but it gets me to the half way stage of the timetable.  Tomorrow, I may think about giving 5572 a good run round the mainline using the unoccupied loops.  But I also have to think about moulding the plaster bandage to the hump on the DOWN leg board.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2787 on: October 16, 2018, 09:27:11 pm »
I'm sure I read a tip from someone on the forum about putting a dab of superglue on one end of the coupling spring to avoid losing them :hmmm:

Edit - would you believe I saw this post after I'd posted as above? See the 2nd paragraph.
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43083.msg534221#msg534221

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2788 on: October 17, 2018, 07:26:31 pm »
This morning I set about trying to get 5572 back into fine fettle, after its IPA treatment had time to work overnight.  To begin with, it was a problem because there were several points on the main loops where it kept stopping, sometimes with a short circuit and at others with the drivers going around but not moving it.  There were other times when it just stopped.  The first of these problems was caused by the front pony wheels shorting between the stock rail and the free switch blade. 

While on the subject, I gave the trial Unifrog that I had bought a thorough examination and, I must say, I was quite impressed.  The switch blades are bootstrapped to the adjacent stock rail, so the shorting would be completely eliminated.  They, in turn, are isolated from the frog, which is connected to the polarity switch (or frog juicer) via a pre-installed down lead.  The frog is then further isolated from the running rails that connect the frog to the next section of track.  These running rails are also bootstrapped to the (opposite) stock rails, no eliminating the need for IRJs.  I wish they had been available when I first built the layout.

I solved the shorting problem on all the points by slightly adjusting the curvature of the free switch blades so that the front pony wheels would pass without coming into contact with the free stock rail.  The second problem was caused by the activation lever of front Dapol Easy-Shunt coupling hitting the free switch blade and failing to ride over it, acting as an anchor.  I managed to adjust the height of the activation lever a little, which cured that problem.  The third problem appeared to be the effect of the gap between the check rail and the stock rail being too small for the front driver to pass, lifting the drivers slightly on that side and breaking the electrical continuity.  My Swiss Army knife was used to prise the gap open a little.

There were also one of two places in the loops where contact was lost and I cured that problem by using the Peco track rubber to burnish the top surface of the rails.  After that, its running began to improve.  While that was going on, I tried to re-assemble the front Pony of 4571, but I was too ham-fisted again and managed to break the NEM pocket off yet again.  So I re-affixed it and left it to cure.  At this stage, I decided to bring out 9744 to continue its rehabilitation.  Unfortunately, it was reluctant to start from rest and it stopped several times, particularly in the loops.  But, by this time 5572 was running so well that I was able to reinstate its acceleration successfully.  However, I had to set the acceleration of 9744 back to zero again, so it will probably need further running in.

Eventually, I ran 5572 through the cross-over to the branch and then reversed it back to the Shipton loops.  Then I ran 9744 back into the Goods Platform.  Finally, I was able to re-assemble the front pony truck for 4571 and refit it to the loco.  At that point, I ran out of time for the morning session.

In the afternoon, I picked out the crop of Ferline tomatoes.  Most were still green, but at this time of year, there is little chance of them ripening and a sudden drop in temperature could damage them.  So I picked them all and we will leave them to ripen in the house.  I also picked the last (very) few autumn raspberries, so I can put the netting up for the winter.  Then I set about harvesting potatoes.  I dug up all the plants in the top bed and we have a very fine crop indeed, with some potatoes larger that we have ever had before.  After a cup of tea, I went back to the Train Shed.

This time, I decided that it was about time that I set about the plaster cloth on the hump on the DOWN leg board.  As a beginner, I tried several of the recommended techniques.  In the end, I found that what worked best for me was to cut the cloth into strips about 50mm wide (approximately) and dip each end into water, using my fingers to anchor the two ends to the EPS structure.  I had previously obtained (from one of the kitchen cupboards) an empty, but clean, mincemeat jar and filled it with water.  I used one with a lid as a precaution against spilling a largish quantity of water on the layout.  Once the ends were anchored, I smoothed out the top and edges by dipping my fingers into the jar and spreading water about, mobilising the plaster.  Here you can see an overview of the first layer of plaster cloth, complete with the mincemeat jar and water sprayer, which I had tried out and may be useful for finishing purposes.

Here you can see a more detailed close-up of the structure.

I intend to apply three layers altogether, thanks to the good advice I have received from forum members.  When I finish the final layer, I will try to smooth the top surface to eliminate all the visible holes in the plaster cloth.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2789 on: October 17, 2018, 07:38:16 pm »
I hope that your back gets better, soon, Laurence.

The drop of superglue on the spring and then leaving it glued to the coupling before fitting it works very well. (I have some overhauled old Peco Extra-LWB goods stock that uses such couplings.)

My apologies to all for delaying the completion of Laurence's story because of my lack of time to write two linking episodes about Susan and the Doctor and Marielle en route on their respective trains. I hope in the next day or two.

I use sandless tile grout instead of plaster for the final smoothing of landscape features. It also works well with crumpled alu foil to make rockfaces (like all those at Cant Cve).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:47:35 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here