!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 143000 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2760 on: October 08, 2018, 05:50:15 pm »
Reading your daily posts about your meetings, shopping, fruit and vegetables, not to mention the layout, I am not surprised you are feeling a bit frustrated. Go away, forget everything, enjoy some time with Celia and come back refreshed and recharged.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2761 on: October 08, 2018, 10:15:41 pm »
Reading your daily posts about your meetings, shopping, fruit and vegetables, not to mention the layout, I am not surprised you are feeling a bit frustrated. Go away, forget everything, enjoy some time with Celia and come back refreshed and recharged.  :thumbsup:
:hellosign: Seconded
      regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2762 on: October 09, 2018, 04:47:14 pm »
We had a lovely drive down to Much Wenlock today.  We came by our usual route southwards, over the bridge in our back garden and then along the A15 to Lincoln, where we stopped at Pennell’s garden centre for a cup of coffee, before setting off via the A46 Fosse Way to Leicester Forrest East, where we usually have a bite to eat.  But today, because we had a longer forward journey than usual, we had made sandwiches using the bread I made at the weekend with the idea of stopping later to eat them.  So we just bought a small bottle of juice each and pressed on via the M69 and A46 to what used to be known as Longbridge island, where the M40 intersects the A46.  From there we headed through Claverdon, Henley-in-Arden and Redditch towards Bromsgrove, stopping in a layby near Tardebigge.  After that, we travelled on through Bromsgrove and Kidderminster to Bridgenorth, taking the Shrewsbury road to Much Wenlock.  It’s beginning to sound like a tour of the N-gauge Forum.

As there was no Train Shed activity today, I thought you might like to hear the next instalment of the back story:

Back Story (continued)

Plans are underway for the grand opening of the Interrogative Seven Restaurant.  Naturally, all seven of the time lords will be present.  None of them will have a problem creating a window in space-time for themselves to accommodate the grand opening.  The date has been set for Saturday, 4th September 1959.  Baron Toby has decided to invite Lord and Lady Trevelver and the Chelsea Girls to the opening through the time warp (there should be enough time lords on hand to guarantee a smooth transportation).  Various local dignitaries and acquaintances of the Baron will be invited and the formal opening will be carried out by a certain royal person.  However, at the insistence of the aforesaid royal person, the affair will not be publicised and so the name of the royal person will be kept secret to prevent disclosure to the press. 

Wally with the help of his best friend Alun, has been planning the menu ever since their first trip to Evenbury.  Much of the fare served up will come from the estate and the rest will be locally sourced from Evenbury.  As partridge shooting will be well under way, the first course will be Alun’s speciality game soup, made with partridge, hare, borlotti beans, tomatoes and various root vegetables.  The beans, tomatoes and root vegetables will all be from the estate kitchen garden.

The Evenbury area is famous for its asparagus (known by the locals as ‘sparrow grass’, so that will be the principal constituent of the next course.  In order to extend the harvesting season, some growers only harvest half of their crop in spring and allow the other half to grow on into the summer.  They then cut this down so that new spears emerge ready for a second harvest in late summer or early autumn.  It is this second crop that Wally intends to make use of for the starter.  Between the two of them, they have decided that the next course will be asparagus omelette, made with fresh asparagus sliced lengthways, tossed in olive oil and cooked in the oven until soft, before adding eggs mixed with pesto.  The omelettes will be cooked on the hob, before finishing under the grill, followed by a drizzle of pesto.

The third course will be brown trout, baked with field mushrooms.  The estate boasts a well-stocked trout stream and mushrooms are plentiful in the cow pastures at this time of year.  The sauce will be based on pressed apple juice with chopped shallots and garlic with butter churned on the estate.  Apple windfalls are plentiful and they are generally pressed for apple juice or cider making.  The shallots and garlic all come from the kitchen garden.  This will be followed by a greengage sorbet, one of Alun’s specialities.  The greengages are at their peak at this time of year and make a particularly tasty sorbet, suitable for cleansing the pallet after a fish course.

The entreé will be venison from the estate’s heard of fallow deer, along with vegetables in season, all from the kitchen garden.  There will be runner beans, French beans, green cabbage, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips and leaks to choose from, presented in tureens brought to the tables.  This will be followed by a choice of fruit from the kitchen garden together with Stoat Vale Cheese.  Finally, Wally has decided to make use of the excellent crop of Hinmarche pears, which are beautifully succulent taste like no other.  He will slice them and present them as pear galette, served with fresh cream from the dairy.

Before the meal, there will be a range of aperitifs served in the lounge/bar area of the restaurant and, during the meal, there will be a range of various wines, including those exclusive ones made from grapes grown in the vinery.  Many stately homes have an orangery, but vineries are less common, particularly ones growing a range of grapes suitable for wine making found in the Beresford vinery.  The vinery consists of low walls topped with greenhouse-like windows.  It has slits in its lower walls and the vines are planted outside the vinery and trained through the slits, so that the fruit has the full benefit of both the sun and shelter from the elements, while the roots are really at home in the soil outside.  At the end of the meal, coffee will be available, together with various stronger beverages, such as brandy, port and whisky. 

Because there is likely to be a substantial quantity of alcohol consumed before, during and after the meal, all the guests will be offered accommodation in Alun’s hotel wing of Beresford Hall.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2763 on: October 09, 2018, 06:42:36 pm »
That's a nice journey. Laurence.

Every time I am in Much Wenlock thoughts of modelling a GWR branch line stray into my head.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2764 on: October 09, 2018, 06:45:33 pm »
That's a nice journey. Laurence.

Every time I am in Much Wenlock thoughts of modelling a GWR branch line stray into my head.

John
And it’s such a charming name.
Though I do like Nemphnett Thrubwell in Somerset.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2765 on: October 09, 2018, 07:27:19 pm »
Glad the break is going well.

There are some great place names around here:

Pinvin, Shuthonger, Wyre Piddle and of course Drakes Broughton which, as we drive through, is translated to Drakes Bottom!

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2766 on: October 09, 2018, 08:19:08 pm »
Glad the break is going well.

There are some great place names around here:

Pinvin, Shuthonger, Wyre Piddle and of course Drakes Broughton which, as we drive through, is translated to Drakes Bottom!

Dave G
There is (or was) a house in Wyre Piddle called Wee Wee Cottage that had two hanging baskets outside its front door.  They were chamber pots!
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2767 on: October 10, 2018, 08:57:51 pm »
Today, we spent all day in Much Wenlock.  We walked along the Olympian route and, eventually, reached the station.

Unfortunately, it is now a private house, the railway having been decommissioned may decades ago.  The picture above is of the road side of the station building.  It was more difficult to take a picture of the platform side of the station buildings.  Here’s one of the other side.

The old track bed is now a rather nice footpath with comparatively gentle gradients, at least for walkers.

I should be able to continue the back story tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2768 on: October 11, 2018, 02:36:08 am »
But my real objective is to have reliable train operations with smooth acceleration and deceleration and no jerkiness or stopping.  If I can’t achieve that, the rest of the modelling seems a little pointless.

Laurence, I didn't recognize any of the towns you identified on your journey - except the reference to Shrewsbury road. My wife and I visited Shrewsbury last June and I thought it was a very nice town. We may have driven through Much Wenlock, as we were in Ironbridge and Coalport and returned to Leominster from that area.

Your comment that I quote echoes my own feelings about this hobby. My issues are not nearly so complex as yours, but my overall progress is affected by issues with wiring and locomotive performance. I'm in a bit of a better place at the moment, and I'm sure you will be, also, when you returned refreshed.

Leon

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2769 on: October 11, 2018, 08:29:39 am »
Laurence, I too understand your frustrations. In my experience, unreliable running usually boils down to dirty track and/or dirty locomotive wheels. A couple of years I bought myself a CMX track cleaner. Expensive, but this piece of gear is the real deal - running it once a month or so sorts out most problems with reliable running.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2770 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:52 am »
Great pics!

Makes me quite homesick  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2771 on: October 11, 2018, 08:26:40 pm »
Back Story (continued)

With Wally’s blessing, Baron Toby has hired the chef from one of the local hotels to be Wally’s sous-chef.  His name, appropriately, is Frank Kitchen and he previously worked at the White Antelope Hotel.  Moving from a position of chef-de-cuisine to sous-chef might seem like a backward move, but the expected prestige and superior salary have tempted Frank away from the White Antelope.  Of course, Alun Peacock will always be Wally’s stand-in and confidant.  But the job of the sous-chef will be the day-to-day running of the kitchen.  Under him will be two chefs-de-partie, one responsible for cooking prepared in the ovens and the other responsible for cooking on the hobs.  Also responsible to the sous-chef will be the saucier, who prepares the sauces and warm hors d'oeuvres, a most important job in the kitchen.  Each chef de partie will also have a
cuisinier, or cook, to carry out many of the tasks involved in cooking the dishes.  There will also be a commis, or junior cook, in the kitchen (often more than one) who will be learning the trade and will frequently have to assist with tasks such as washing up.

In the 1950s, all the commands in the kitchen would have been in (pidgin) French.  It was not unknown for a saucier to be chastised because he had fallen into a reverie and failed to recognise the command “Saucier!” from the chef or sous chef.  But, in general, the activities in such a well organised kitchen would be reminiscent of a military operation.  The result was that meals could be ordered, cooked and served in a relatively short space of time.  The chef would often monitor the frequency of ordering particularly popular dishes, especially if they required considerable preparation time.  In some cases, he would decree that there would be something like a production line for one or two dishes and take a gamble that there would be takers for all of the prepared dishes. 

Wally was really looking forward to the opening because, in all his previous engagements, He had been in charge of, not only the running of the kitchen, but also the cooking itself.  Of course, he had trained in a similarly large kitchen in a popular conference venue in the north west, but had preferred to work either alone or in tandem with Alun Peacock.  Of course, there would always have been support in the form of washing up and the management of kitchen utensils, etc, but this position catapulted him into the relative stratosphere. 

Alun would be in charge of front of house and had appointed a head waiter to oversee the running of the restaurant during opening hours.  But Alun took great pride in organising the layout of the tables and specifying the table linen, cutlery and glassware.  He would also have a wine waiter who would be responsible for recommending wine, spirits, cocktails and other beverages.  The wine waiter’s responsibilities included training the waiting staff in the serving of wine and how to recommend wine choices to diners.  He would also have the responsibility of ensuring the wine cellar was well stocked, according to Alun’s specifications for wine choices.  There would also be a barman, whose responsibilities would include dispensing aperitifs and digestifs.  If a client were to ask for a particular aperitif that was not in stock, it would be his responsibility to report that to Alun, who would then make a decision as to whether or not to add it to the stock list.

Baron Tiverton is now waiting to see who will accept his invitations.  Of the local dignitaries, there have been no refusals and the royal person will definitely carry out the formal opening.  Lady Annabelle is waiting to hear from Penelope Trevelver via the scrambler as to the willingness of the Trevelvers and the Chelsea girls to attend.  Of course, all the doctors will be there, but there may be others from the other side of the channel who might like to attend as well.  In the event of communication problems, those who would like to attend may respond via this topic.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2772 on: October 11, 2018, 09:44:11 pm »
A belated catch-up, Laurence. I hope your back is fully recovered and the solution to the DCC problem has been found. Thanks for the story updates; very interesting and informative, as always.

Despite the likely stormy Channel crossing, I'm sure the Continental guests (@Weave@) who were present at Trevelver Castle in October 1962, will also be coming, along with Lord & Lady Trevelver and the "Chelsea Girls' and their beaux. They will be eager to see how the two winning chefs are settling in and will have plenty to reminisce about. A November break will fit very nicely before everyone is very busy in December (there will be the usual special trains). Lord Trevelver is planning to request a special through train, instead of a through coach, if enough guests confirm. There are rumours about a special loco., too.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #2773 on: October 11, 2018, 11:43:23 pm »
Hi Laurence,

Presuming you mean the Mayor, Senor José Maria de La Vega from the Principat d'Izaro, he would love to visit England again and be honoured to be a guest of Baron Tiverton.

Unfortunately he is still racking his brain as to who accompanied him (besides his daughter Sofia) on the fantastic trip to Cornwall and further afield the last time. Too much imbibing he chuckles to himself.

As his wife has passed and his daughter is still with the Chelsea Girls (he thinks) he might have to call his good friend Chris, who lives in Prague, for confirmation.

Thank you for the invitation.

Gracias y salud, José  :beers:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:45:29 pm by weave »

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2774 on: October 12, 2018, 07:10:39 am »
That sounds like an ingenious solution.
With kind regards