!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 136141 times)

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2670 on: September 10, 2018, 05:04:43 pm »
Hope the back stays pain free.

I've used Copydex to fix down all of my track and never had a problem of the described creep.

I did, when laying down the tighter curves, use cocktail sticks to hold the track in position while the glue dried. Cocktail sticks were used as the track is on Celotex foam so much easier than having to work with track pins.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2671 on: September 11, 2018, 05:23:14 pm »
Today, we travelled to Lowestoft.  Before we started, I had a quick session in the Train Shed.  It was a very good session.  I did make one or two operator errors, but the locos behaved well.  The previously suspect branch track joint is now fine and 4571 passes over it without derailing.  I have also realised that it would make more sense to run the branch loco round while all the trains are waiting in the station rather than waiting until the end of the sub-cycle.  Originally, I chose to run each loco round after it had completed its run because there were only two of them and they both ran from one and of the other.  In fact, in the first place, there was only the branch passenger, but then I introduced a branch goods as well.  However, when I introduced a third loco as another branch passenger, I had to resort to running around the singleton at one end after the other one had left.  So, I waited until the end of the sub-cycle, in the same way that I had when there were only two.  But the new strategy gives me an opportunity to leave the trains in the station for a reasonable period of time while the branch loco runs round.

We had a good run down to Lowestoft and my back is not too sore today.  Hopefully, it will further improve as I continue the medication and I hope to be back in the Train Shed on Thursday or Friday.

With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2672 on: September 11, 2018, 08:48:38 pm »
Thanks for the update, Laurence. I hope that your back continues to improve. I hope to print and add the final detailing to the station bookstalls later, this week, and get yours in the post, next week. My apologies for the delay but semester is underway and I have little free time.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2673 on: September 12, 2018, 09:14:04 am »
Good to hear you are getting good running sessions, my new work location seems to have brought about greater freedoms of online access & I can actually watch the embedded video's from the comfort of my desk!

Hope the back pain eases soon

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2674 on: September 12, 2018, 06:03:53 pm »
Iím pleased to be able to report that the back is still making good progress.  I havenít used any medication since early afternoon yesterday and, although I am still getting twinges, they are getting quite close to the normal range associated with working the back, so I canít complain.  I hope it will be OK driving back tomorrow.  Although there is no layout news today, I have written a tiny fragment more of the back story.

Baron Tiverton is quite satisfied that the future of the Aylesbury and Worcester has now been secured.  However, he is resigned to the fact that, at some stage, he may have to accept that one of these new-fangled diesel multiple units (DMUs) may run on the line or, at least, on the branch lines.  But he also hopes to be able to acquire at least one more steam locomotive, although he may have to wait for some time for one to become available. 
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2675 on: September 13, 2018, 08:22:27 pm »
We arrived home today to find three parcels waiting for me.  The first two, from different sources, were the two brake second suburban coaches for 6417.  I had to source them from different suppliers because they donít seem to be available from the main dealers any more.  I unpacked them and attached them to 6417.  I then ran it out of the DOWN loops and into the station.

I think they suit it quite well and, if I ever replace 6417 in this capacity, I can use them with the replacement loco.  The other package was the short Easy-Shunt couplings for the Prairie locos.

I fitted two of them to 4571 and the work much better over the magnets.  Here you can see 4571 with its suburban brake second.

Although I have only one cycle (16a/b/c) to run before starting on the next major engineering project, I thought I would leave that in abeyance for today and try to run it tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online sp1

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2676 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:54 pm »
I had a bad night last night.  I did sleep but, when I was awake, my back was really painful as a result of the top soil humping and pear picking yesterday.  The result was that I got up smartly and began a four pronged attack on the problem.  The first was Volterol gel applied to the muscular pain.  After breakfast, I took ibuprofen which is a good anti-inflammatory for the nerve root pain.  That was followed by a session on the bat table and then I sat with a hot water bottle against the lower back.  Needless to say, we cancelled table tennis.  But I also missed out on my morning Train Shed session.  However, we went for a short walk to post a letter because the medical advice is to vary between sitting, standing walking and lying down.  Mind you, I didnít do any lying down.  Another tactic for helping the back to recover was to sit in the sitting room with my laptop instead of at my desktop, which can sometimes be a strain on the lower back.  Later, in the afternoon, I felt well enough to have a good session in the Train Shed. 

I ran the next two cycles (13a/b/c and 14a/b/c).  While running them, I realised that the problem joint on the branch that caused 4571ís front pony truck to derail was the result of Copydex creep.  I was able to pin the whole joint back into line and fix it with four track pins.  That cured the problem.  I am now only two operational cycles away from the cleaning cycle where I will start the major engineering work to realign the loops and fit additional droppers.  I had thought to start fitting the chocolate block barrier strips today but, with my back condition requiring a bit of a rest, I decided against crawling under the baseboards.

Tomorrow, we have to go to deepest East Suffolk (Lowestoft) for a family funeral (our aunt was 97, so it wasnít too much of a surprise).  I will take my laptop with me so I should be able to follow the forum and, maybe, even make a couple of postings.
I would advocate taking co-codamol for the pain, in addition to the ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory) - I speak from experience and as a nurse for over 30 years....

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2677 on: September 14, 2018, 06:46:35 am »
I would advocate taking co-codamol for the pain, in addition to the ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory) - I speak from experience and as a nurse for over 30 years....
Thanks.  Everything is back to normal now - just the odd twinge, but that's more to do with age than abuse.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2678 on: September 14, 2018, 11:03:36 am »
Back Story (continued)

Recently, the boys (Marcus and Julius) went to Birmingham New Street one Saturday for a bit of different train spotting.  It included a visit to Bescot shed, where they had a really good time.  But the main thing that impressed them was the journey from Rugby to Birmingham on a Metro-Camel DMU.  They sat on the front bench seat, right behind the driver and were able to see through the glass partition between them and the driving compartment.  Not only could they see the whole of the way ahead, but they were able to watch the driver operate the throttle using the Dead Manís Handle, operate the gear change and apply the brakes.  Sometimes, to prevent the Dead Manís Handle from stopping the train, the driver would use his elbow to hold it down while using his hands to light his pipe.  Once, they saw him lift his leg onto the console and press down on the Dead Manís Handle with his foot to give his wrist a rest.

It was particularly impressive when they went through Beechwood tunnel, between Tile Hill and Berkswell (strictly speaking, Berkswell and Balsall Common).  The loop line from Kenilworth joined the mainline at Berkswell and, during later electrification (courtesy of the Tardis), on Sundays, trains from Coventry to Birmingham sometimes had to travel to Kenilworth and then loop back to Berkswell.  But travelling through the tunnel at speed, looking out through the driverís window, was a real treat.  The DMU cut the journey time by more that 15 minutes, compared with their return behind a Stanier 2-6-4 tank that sometimes struggled for adhesion when pulling its six coaches away from some of the eight intermediate stations between New Street and Coventry.

The next time the boys were home for the holidays, they made a point of telling the Baron how impressed they were with the DMU, which may have made an impression on him when thinking about the future of the Aylesbury and Worcester.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bill Badger

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2679 on: September 14, 2018, 11:52:13 am »
Back Story (continued)

Recently, the boys (Marcus and Julius) went to Birmingham New Street one Saturday for a bit of different train spotting.  It included a visit to Bescot shed, where they had a really good time.  But the main thing that impressed them was the journey from Rugby to Birmingham on a Metro-Camel DMU.  They sat on the front bench seat, right behind the driver and were able to see through the glass partition between them and the driving compartment.  Not only could they see the whole of the way ahead, but they were able to watch the driver operate the throttle using the Dead Man’s Handle, operate the gear change and apply the brakes.

Reminds me of trips to Manchester from Blackburn when I was small - I always asked if we could get to the station early so we could bag the front seats in the 101 or 108. Those 1st generation DMUs were dirty, noisey and smelly but that all added to the fun. Happy days.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2680 on: September 14, 2018, 05:45:33 pm »
The latest Graham Farish Metro-Cammell DMU models are very good. I have a BR Green 3-car unit that appears on specials from Birmingham (being based at Tyseley) and am considering a BR Green 2-car unit, too (for want of a DMU that ran from Plymouth Laira in the 1960s).

I look forward to seeing a BR Green one appear. 8-)

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2681 on: September 14, 2018, 05:56:57 pm »
Today, we went to J Sainsbury because we have been away for three days and it was the first opportunity this week.  Before we went, I had my usual early shift in the Train Shed.  I ran most of the last cycle (16a/b/c) but didnít quite finish it because of a bit of ham-fistedness on my part.  After Part a, I changed the couplings on 4571 for the new short ones and it all went well.  They seem to behave much better over the magnets and couple better on the relatively tight curves of the branch run-around.  Half way through Part b, I was due to run 5572 around, but decided to change the couplings first.  The front one was no problem, but I think I was too heavy handed with the one under the bunker and managed to snap off the NEM pocket.  I have since reattached it and reinforced it with a piece of plastic shim.  But when I tried it, I could not get it to couple.  On inspection, I found that the tiny spring on the loco coupling was missing.  I probably dislodged it when I was re-fixing the NEM pocket.  So I replaced it and all was well.

That repair was made during my second visit to the Train Shed, which followed after I had done some garden jobs.  I picked tomatoes and the few autumn raspberries that have matured, before stripping out all the Sungold tomato plants from the greenhouse.  I cut them down and untwined the supporting rope on each before putting the discarded plant outside.  I unstrung the ropes ready to go away for the Winter and chopped up the plants into the compost bin.  So that side of the greenhouse is ready for when I need to fit the bubble wrap insulation for the cold Winter nights (and, in some cases, days).

After completing the repair to the coupling, I began to clear the UP loops ready for the latest round of engineering works.  I have finished clearing the tracks and I have removed the front baffle board which serves to hide the loops from view to give me better access to the baseboard surface.

On the far left you can see the Norton run-around of the branch, with a set of points to allow the locos to run back past the train.  Further to the right, you can see all eight mainline loops.  Loop 1 is the outside loop and Loop 8 the inside one.  I intend to increase the radius by moving them over towards the branch run-around.  I have placed a short section of track next to the run-around to indicate where Loop 1 will be located and I will allow 35mm between centres, as opposed to the original design distance of 25mm.  I might even allow 40mm to be on the super-safe side.  That will allow any two of my trains to pass on adjacent tracks whereas, at the moment, there are certain tracks where I cannot run corridor trains with a corridor train on the next track as well.

The main focus of the engineering work is to re-wire the loops with direct feeds instead of supplying the DCC signal via Peco power feed joiners.  However, I have decided that while I am doing it, I might as well take advantage of the empty loops to make a proper job of it.  On previous occasions, my track relocation has been limited to tinkering because of the power feeds connecting to the existing tracks.  But now, I will be able to reposition the loops without having to worry about the existing droppers.  So tomorrow, I will start ripping up the loops and repositioning them.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2682 on: September 15, 2018, 08:25:00 pm »
We had a bit of a disaster overnight.  We run our domestic appliances using Economy 7 to save money.  When Celia tried to set the washing machine last night, instead of the display showing the usual time, speed, etc, it showed ĎF21í.  I had a look and decided that it was a fault code.  I looked on the internet and found:

ĎYou can try the following steps:
1. Turn the washer knob to the 'off' or reset position 12 o'clock.
2. Turn the knob to the 6 o'clock position.
3. Press and hold the spin button.
4. While holding it, turn the knob to the 7 o'clock position.
5. Continue holding the spin button for about 5 seconds.
6. Release the button.
7. Turn the knob to off.
When your turn it back on it should have cleared the error code.í

There was also a warning that this is a motor control fault, so if the above action doesnít cure the problem, there really is a fault.  Fortunately, the fault code disappeared and the washing machine worked overnight.  But, in the morning, the display indicated Ď001í meaning that it hadnít finished.  Now this is always the case until a few minutes have elapsed after the programme has finished.  Once it disappears you can open the door.  However, it never disappeared, but I could open the door.  Everything was still soaking wet, so the spin obviously hadnít worked.  I tried to get the spin program to work, but F21 reappeared.  I did manage to get it going eventually, but it still stopped showing Ď001í.  I was able to remove the washing and then found that F21 persisted and wouldnít clear.  Now the washing machine is nine years old so we had to make a decision as to whether we would try to get it repaired, which might be expensive and could take some time, or we would simply buy a new one.  In the end we decided to buy a new one from the well known online retailer that delivers, installs and takes your old machine away, all the next day (Sunday in this case).  So my model railway budget is somewhat lighter than it would have been otherwise.

By the time I had sorted all that out, there was insuffiecient time for an early morning session in the Train Shed.  We had initially decided to walk into Hessle as usual and then go out in the car to deliver pears to relatives, buy some stationery at WHS and try to buy some garlic bulbs, which is always a problem at this time of year.  The garlic needs to be planted before the end of September, but it is difficult to find any.  We were just about to walk into Hessle when the rain started, which meant getting in the washing and then going off in the Alfa to complete all our outing tasks in one go.  We still couldnít find any garlic.

In the afternoon, I prepared the new strawberry bed ready for planting and picked most of the Sunset apples.  After a cup of tea, I did manage a short session in the Train Shed.  I began with ripping up the current Loop 1 and laying some new underlay for the new one.  I am not bothering to lift the old underlay, which is all self-adhesive, but I will leave it in place because some of it will serve as underlay for the inner loops.  I have reached the stage of re-laying the original track, but I need to cut a new section to join the loop up to Point 7, which feeds it from the UP main. 

You can see the original power feeders (red and black) sticking out of the baseboard, slightly to the left of centre.  Tomorrow, I hope to complete the loop and think about feeding power to the individual track sections.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2683 on: September 15, 2018, 08:38:51 pm »
@Innovationgame
I occasionally get a fault on the washing machine that begins with an 'F', (I forget the number). When it originally occurred, I found out that it was a loss of water pressure, which happens if there is a loss of electrical power, (which happens quite frequently here in the middle of nowhere!), and the water pump can not keep pressure in the system if there is no electricity. I also get a fault on the central heating boiler, which also begins with an 'F', when the water pressure drops. In view of the fact that you have just bought a new washer, I hope that this was not the cause of your problem,  :worried:, although I do note you mention a motor control fault.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2684 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:52 pm »
I'm fairly confident that it's a real fault.  In the night, the phone rebooted, Celia's computer rebooted, the microwave clock reset and one of our touch controlled table lamps came on (but not the other).  My computer was OK and the porch light timer didn't reset, nor did the cooker clock.  It looks as though there was a fault on the washing machine that affected one branch of the mains circuits.  The water pressure is 3 bar, I checked the central heating boiler first thing.  So I think the washer definitely needs replacing.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations