!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 148631 times)

Astonp and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2580 on: August 10, 2018, 07:25:02 pm »
Those are very fine fine brushes, Laurence, far better than the cheap and nasty ones I bought, locally. (I'd have to go to a special shop to buy finer fine brushes but they still would not be as good as yours.) Where did you get them from, please?
I bought them on eBay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Fine-Detail-Gold-Taklon-Artist-Paint-Brush-Set-Soft-Grip-Acrylic-Water-Oil/131800927235?var=431167027488&epid=2254722728&hash=item1eaff28c03:m:mzpoDh7Plqv0Xzxnx94-VRQ
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2581 on: August 10, 2018, 09:12:45 pm »
Those are very fine fine brushes, Laurence, far better than the cheap and nasty ones I bought, locally. (I'd have to go to a special shop to buy finer fine brushes but they still would not be as good as yours.) Where did you get them from, please?
I bought them on eBay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Fine-Detail-Gold-Taklon-Artist-Paint-Brush-Set-Soft-Grip-Acrylic-Water-Oil/131800927235?var=431167027488&epid=2254722728&hash=item1eaff28c03:m:mzpoDh7Plqv0Xzxnx94-VRQ

Many thanks, Laurence, for your quick response.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2582 on: August 11, 2018, 07:16:20 pm »
Today was the day we walk into Hessle to go to the butcher’s and have a cup of coffee at The Black Cat.  Before we went, I managed a short running session in the Train Shed.  Everything ran like clockwork (although it’s a long time since I ran a clockwork train set), even the branch run-arounds were really smooth.  With the branch passenger trains, I have to perform a manual decoupling at the moment, but the pony truck mod I did yesterday means that I should be able to convert all the branch trains to Dapol Easy-Shunts.  I had to give 46443 an almost imperceptible nudge to get it to start from the DOWN loops and 4571 a similar one to get it on its way on its down-wind (so to speak) leg of the run-around.

Once we returned home, I changed (into my working clothes, not into a frog) and set about the remainder of the shredding.  That took me most of the day, including clearing up and removing all the wood for the fire and kindling.  I had hoped to have another session in the Train Shed, but by that time, I was pretty tired and needed a sit down and an aperitif before tea (sorry, dinner, but let’s call it high tea).  My intention was to remove all the coupling rod bolts on 64960 to see which of the drivers was causing the problem.  However, I will have that to look forward to tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2583 on: August 12, 2018, 09:06:20 pm »
I had quite a busy day today.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get as much done it the Train Shed as I would have liked.  But, first thing, I did manage a short running session.  I ran the next cycle (4a/b/c) including all the branch run-arounds.  Eire had a bit of a moment while exiting Platform 2, sticking on Point 33. It was as though there was something holding it back.  Then it seemed to lose electrical contact.  I backed it up and gave the point a bit of a burnish and then it was alright.  6713 was a bit reluctant to run around at first but, again, another quick burnish solved the problem.  It would appear that my track cleaning is not having the desired effect.  So next time I will go over everything twice (or even three times) just to be sure that everything is really clean.  The next problem that I noticed was that, yesterday, two of the trains that ran into the UP loops had not cleared the points fully, resulting in a collision this morning as 80119 entered the UP loops.  After that, pretty well everything ran according to plan.

It was a damp, grey day today so, once the operating session had finished, we went off to a garden centre for coffee and to buy some ferns.  Next, we went to The Range to buy some card making bits for Celia.  Then we went to Currys to collect a laptop 2-in-one that I had ordered earlier.  After we arrived home, I spent quite a bit of the day loading up Office 365, Firefox, McAfee Livesafe, etc.  It all took a fair bit of time, but I did manage to get out into the garden this afternoon.  We were promised a long stint of rain, but all we got was a miserly 0.6mm last night and 1.0mm today.  It was just grey with intermittent rain spots.  Since last Summer, we have had only two months, March and April, when there has been anything like an average month’s rainfall. 

However, the intermittent rain spots were enough to deter me from getting out anything electrical.  So I set about modifying the roof of the compost bins.  Originally there was no roof, but about two years ago, it was clear the Bin 4 (the one used for extracting mature compost) was getting too wet, so I made a plank roof which covered Bins 3 and 4.  I covered them both because that was the easiest option at the time.  However, I now need a couple of the planks to return the old strawberry bed to general use, So I modified the roof to cover Bin 4 only by cutting four of the eight planks in half.  That freed up four planks that I could use elsewhere.

By the time I was ready to return to the Train Shed, it was too late to make another start there, so I will have to try and make more progress there tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:07:23 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2584 on: August 13, 2018, 06:16:01 pm »
Today was table tennis day and we had a very good session with lots of long rallies.  Before we went, I managed a brief running session in the Train Shed, running cycle 5a/b/c.  Things weren’t quite so good today.  I had a couple of coach bogie derailments on the branch, almost certainly due to careless uncoupling.  There was also a little bit of reluctance for the branch locos to start during the run-arounds.  However, it all went off fairly well.

After table tennis we called in at Waitrose for some more wine (they keep sending me vouchers for £8 off if I spend £40, so I can get half a dozen bottles of decent stuff for well under £40.  When we arrived home it was raining (hurray!) so there was nothing to do in the garden for a while.  First, I fixed the one remaining issue with the new laptop.  I installed outlook yesterday but, because I used the automatic configuration, I finished up with an IMAP connection instead of a POP3 connection.  I prefer POP3 because it means I can download the mail and leave it on the server.  If I delete the files locally after I have downloaded them it doesn’t affect the server.  IMAP can be a bit more dangerous if you have accounts on more than one computer.

After that, I managed another session in the Train Shed.  First, I removed all the coupling rod bolts on 64960 (all but one in fact) to see if I could find the cause of the sticking.  The front and rear axles were perfectly free, but I couldn’t really test the middle one because the bolt that holds the coupling rod to the centre driver on the crank side appears to be welded (not literally) to the crank, so I couldn’t get it off.  There may be a good reason for this, probably to ensure the crank operates in the correct phase relative to the driver, but I was unable to find out how to remove it.  However, when I reassembled everything, there seemed to be an improvement, if not 100%. 

Then I had another running session (6a/b/c), this time involving 64960, which was a little difficult to get started, but once running completed its run, including the deceleration phase, with only the very occasional hiatus of the drivers.  I had another bogie short exiting the branch loops.  I must be more careful check for derailments after uncoupling the locos.  The branch goods is no problem because it now has Dapol Easy-Shunts which are decoupled magnetically.

Tomorrow, I may press on with the bogie conversions to NEM pockets.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2585 on: August 13, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »
Great updates Laurence on both the Train Shed & the garden!  Good progress on the platforms.  Look forward to seeing your sewage treatment plant come to life :)

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2586 on: August 14, 2018, 08:45:43 pm »
This morning, Celia was supposed to be going to Sheffield with our granddaughter to do some shopping.  I would have taken them to Brough to catch the train and then gone straight on to J Sainsbury.  However, Celia was pretty ill during the night and really couldn’t manage the trip.  I offered to go in her place, but I think our granddaughter was not too impressed with the idea of going shopping with her wicked grandfather.  So it was all called off.  But it did mean that I was able to have an early(ish) session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle (7a/b/c) and, once again, there were no real issues other that a few hesitations during the run-arounds.

Eventually, I went off to J Sainsbury and when I returned, Celia felt well enough for a small coffee.  After coffee, it was back to the grindstone.  I now have a lot of processed wood (minus all the bits that went into the shredder) to cut up into kindling and firewood.  The current task, which may take a day or two, is to cut up the kindling into short lengths that will fit into the log burner.  I had a break for something to eat and then continued into the afternoon.  By cup of tea time, I had had enough, so I cleared up and made the tea.  I had another wrestle with the lap top during tea, simply familiarising myself with all the different aspects of a 2-in-1.

Then I managed another session in the Train Shed.  This time, I ran the next cycle (8a/b/c) but I was able to take a couple of video clips which I have stitched together.  I was going to try and film the whole cycle, but a short circuit during the first out-runs rather put paid to that, so I filmed the in-runs and then the final sub-cycle with the three freight trains.

I hope you liked the video and tomorrow, I hope to be able to have a go at the bogie couplings.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2587 on: August 14, 2018, 10:10:18 pm »
Glad to learn Celia recovered from whatever ailed her.

I actually finished cutting up the old timber from the veg garden fence. Shame we don't have a woodburner.  :(

Thanks for the video.

Lovely bit of Beethoven - my absolute favourite piano concerto!  :headbang:

Dave G

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2588 on: August 15, 2018, 03:07:04 am »
I bought them on eBay -

Plus 16.99 Sterling for shipping to the U. S. :)

Leon

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2589 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:57 am »
I bought them on eBay -

Plus 16.99 Sterling for shipping to the U. S. :)

Leon

Nearly GBP 14.00 to Europe, Leon. Yet, post-free within the U.K. eBay's profits are stagnant (one of my thesis students has done an analysis) so it is desperately looking for ways to increase profits and extortionate postage fees (and eBay takes a slice of ALL postage charges) seems to be one of its tactics. 8-(

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2590 on: August 15, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »
Nearly GBP 14.00 to Europe, Leon. Yet, post-free within the U.K. eBay's profits are stagnant (one of my thesis students has done an analysis) so it is desperately looking for ways to increase profits and extortionate postage fees (and eBay takes a slice of ALL postage charges) seems to be one of its tactics. 8-(

Chris, I think you're spot on. I've been trading on eBay since 1998 and have not been encouraged by what I've observed during that time. eBay engages is some of the same shady tactics as mainstream auction houses. It's really a poor business model! I've maintained my own website for selling art during most of the same period, however, and cannot generate an adequate level of user traffic. There just isn't a good alternative! As I've said in the Forum previously, I've found Hatton's to be the most reasonable source for British railway modelling. Their prices are competitive, they don't include VAT in their export charges (some do!), and their shipping is the most reasonable I've experienced. One can't rely on a single source, though. It should be conceded that shipping charges have excelerated substantially over the years by carriers, and I suppose much of the increase has been justified. It's interesting to me, however, that my cost for travel to Europe has not increased during that same period of time! One explanation is that the corporate world is subsidizing travel by paying extortianate prices for business class travel (and giving their employees the frequent flyer miles). Everyone is trying to gain leverage in the market place! Another recession ahead?

Leon

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2591 on: August 15, 2018, 06:28:15 pm »
Thank you, Leon. I'd certainly agree with you about Hattons and I do use them very often for both new and secondhand items. I do also use other retailers, such as Rails of Sheffield and Kernow Model Railway Centre. The big retailers seem to be able to negotiate cheaper rates and good service. eBay's own International Shipping is MORE expensive and, at least, initially (I don't use it if at all possible) the service was very slow and poor. I think eBay UK is in danger of losing a lot of non-UK sales. eBay Germany is better and delivery is quicker and can be very reasonable. Before Brexit 'happens' in March 2019, I hope to have everything stockpiled, here, that I will need that I cannot buy on the Continent.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2592 on: August 15, 2018, 06:50:52 pm »
Today, we decided against going to the gym to make sure that Celia is one hundred percent recovered.  So I had a nice early session in the Train Shed.  I still only ran one cycle (9/a/b/c), but I am getting better at managing the branch run-arounds.  At first, I just ran the locos to the stopping point and hit the red emergency stop button, but now I am getting better at selecting when to put them into reverse so that they decelerate to a stop beyond the point.  I then have time to switch the run-around before the loco accelerates back across it.  The most difficult place to get right is the mid-point of the down-wind run, when it is passing its train on the other track.  But I am getting better.

I had another short circuit today with Loco 17 on Point 38.  To prevent this happening again, I used a technique that I have used before with some success in other places.  I firmly hold the end of the free switch blade that is attached to the tie bar and use a probe to reduce the curvature of blade in the middle.  If this continues to be a success, I won’t need to paint the outside of the switch blades to prevent short circuits.  I have ordered two of the new Unifrog points to see if they can be used to eliminate this problem.  With the blades individually isolated and tied to the adjacent stock rails, there will always be good contact with no possibility of a short circuit.  I believe the frog has a built in dropper that can still be connected either to a Cobalt switch or a Hex Frog Juicer.  This looks like an improvement on the Electofrog points that I use at the moment because there is no need to solder on a frog dropper.  If you want to strap the point blades to the stock rail with Electofrog points, you have to cut the connecting wires and then solder them to the stock rails whereas, with the Unifrog points, this is all built in to the construction.  However, I will wait until they arrive before I make a final pronouncement on them.

You can see the modified point with the free blade practically straight.

On the other hand, with Point 40, the free blade is more curved.  It seems that it is this curve that the leading pony wheels foul on the small prairies.

The straight-on route is not critical on Point 40 because it only leads to a little-used siding.  On the next sub-cycle, it was the turn of 45206 to run into the milk depot with the milk train.  After the derailments on the crossover during previous runs, I slowed it right down to a scale speed of about 12mph and it ran in faultlessly.  It also tested the modified blade with the points set the other way and there was no hint of a problem there, so it looks as though the modification is a success.

After that session, I picked more Sungold tomatoes and then sprayed the potatoes again for blight.  Then it was time for coffee, followed by more cutting up of kindling from the hedge cuttings.  I managed to finish it all and stack most of the pieces of kindling in a plastic ‘coffin’, two of which we use for that purpose. 

For our midday snack we had our first home-grown corn on the cob (sweet corn).  It was delicious, nothing like the supermarket versions.  We generally grow about eighteen plants, which usually yield more that a dozen corn heads.  In the afternoon, I sawed up all the wood that was too large to use for kindling and stowed in one of the wood stacks.  Then I managed another session in the train shed.  This time, I set about converting the other pony truck frame to an NEM pocket.

Following that, I ran the next timetable cycle (10a/b/c) which ran very smoothly, apart from one or two sticking points during the branch run-arounds.  I have to say that my attempts at getting the run-arounds perfected was rather poor this afternoon.  Possibly, I wasn’t paying sufficient attention.

I have been quite busy on the internet today.  When I bought the two Unifrog points, I also bought two new pairs of Dapol magnets.  I have decided that it would be better to use whole magnets to make it easier to position the locos for uncoupling.  Then I ordered a pair of Dapol ‘B’ set bogey frames to convert followed by a pair of Farish Mk1 bogey frames for the same reason.  That means I will be able to carry out the conversions and then fit the converted bogies after conversion.  Soon, I should be able to carry on with scenic work.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2593 on: August 16, 2018, 05:22:42 pm »
Thursday is our day out and, once a month, we try to go to the seaside.  Today we set out for Fraisthorpe Beach and the Cow Shed Café.  But before we went, I had a short running session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle(11a/b/c) and everything ran smoothly apart from a couple of glitches during the branch run-arounds and some ham-fisted operator errors on my part.  I reduced the acceleration time on Cranmore Hall because I felt it was not getting up to full speed before it was time to start decelerating again.  I may also need to slightly increase its top speed.

I must say, it is a joy to operate Marton Hinmarche these days.  Apart from the very occasional slight prod to induce motion when a loco won’t start from rest, everything seem to run very well now.  Yesterday, even 64960 ran very well, with the drivers rotating nicely, apart from the very low speed bit in the goods platform.  It did stick there a bit but I think, once again, a really thorough track cleaning may be the answer.  I still make a hash of the branch run-arounds now and then and I sometimes get in a muddle with my loco selection when I have three trains moving all at the same time.  But I am re-writing the operational timetable to make it clear when to stop or change locos.  Also, I am now working on an enhanced version of the timetable that will allow me to run 6417 and 9744 on the main line, in addition to all the trains that run at present.  The storage loops will then be very crowded and running roundies to work gremlins out of a loco may be much more difficult.  But it is a challenge to see if I can get eighteen working trains on the layout, although not all running simultaneously!

Our trip to Fraisthorpe Beach was very enjoyable.  We arrived in time for coffee at the Cow Shed Café and then had a long walk along the beach, first in a southerly direction and then off to the North in the direction of Bridlington.  There are lots of pill boxes and other World War II coastal defences here, but erosion over the last eighty years has left many of them as wrecks on the beach or even in the sea.  We also found an intact scallop shell on the beach, the first time we have ever found a whole half a shell, if that makes sense.  We had a bite to eat in the café before returning home again.

Later in the afternoon, after a cup of tea, I managed another session in the train shed.  I tried to run the next cycle (12a/b/c) but I had a bit of trouble.  Not with the trains, but with me.  On the second sub-cycle, I selected 5572 (Loco17) to start from the station, when it was actually 4571 (Loco16) in the station.  I realised the error of my ways when 4571 failed to move and managed to prevent 5572 from running off the end of the track in the Shipton run-around.  Also, Forthampton grange had a little cough passing the goods shed, but it’s not the first loco to faulter there, so I think I definitely need to reclean the track THOROUGHLY. 

But the real problem occurred when I tried to film the run-around for 5572.  The first thing I noticed was that the camera was indicating a VERY low battery.  Then I made several errors during the run-around and had to keep going back to the beginning.  Just when I thought I had got it right, the camera went dead, bring the filming session to a premature end.  I thought about completing the cycle, but I decided to leave everything in situ and film the run-around again first thing in the morning (the camera battery is on charge as I write this).  So that will be the first task tomorrow.  The bogies I ordered might arrive tomorrow as well, which will give me something else to get on with.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2594 on: August 17, 2018, 07:53:08 pm »
Today was domestic chores day.  More importantly, the gas man cometh (but I didn’t request it for a Monday morning!).  So I stayed in the house and carried on with my jobs until he arrived.  During that time, the postman arrived with two packets for me.  One was from Peter’s Spares with two Farish Mk1 coach bogies.

The other was from Hatton’s with two items.  The first was the New Dapol magnets

And the second the Unifrog points.

They seem to be all that I expected of them.  You can see the straps from the stock rails to the switch blades next to the pencil point.  The frog has its own dropper ready built in so they should be much more reliable and easier to install than Electrofrog points.  Another improvement is the ends of the rails.  There are no separated sleepers that have to be added under the rail joiners.  Instead, the substrate has been modified so that the rail joiners will slide directly onto the end of the point.  The picture is not very clear, but you may be able to just make out the gaps around the rails.

Those pictures were taken much later, after I got down to the Train Shed again.  However, the gas man was here for quite a long time.  We had a couple of valves that were weeping, one on a radiator and one on the towel rail.  He drained the system (we have a pressurised hot water system, thank goodness, so draining is quite a short affair) and changed the two valves.  But, after the boiler service, the towel rail would not warm up again.  It turned out that the second valve, which he had to turn off to change the original one, had failed to turn on again and so he had to re-drain the system and change that one as well.  By the time he had finished it was time for something to eat, so I cut a couple of sweet corn cobs and we had some rough oatcakes with them.

Eventually, I managed to finish all the domestic chores and get down to the Train Shed.  My first task, left over from yesterday, was to film the run-around process of 5572 in the Shipton hidden loops.

I had one abortive attempt (because of operator error) but then it ran perfectly.  The whirring noise after 5572 crosses the points is the sound of the two Cobalts changing the points.

After that, I filed away the bits that had arrived by post and finished the cycle, before running the next one (13a/b/c) successfully, apart from an incident with 45206 and some more operator errors.  I must maintain my focus.  Each time I carry out an operation on the walk-around, I must set up for the next operation immediately, instead of watching the trains and then trying to execute the wrong operation. 

The 45206 incident with the milk train was that, as it reached Point 1 at the throat of the UP loops, it stopped suddenly.  I backed it up and tried it again, but with no success.  I noticed that it seemed to jump as it tried to cross the points.  This is strange because every mainline UP train has to cross these points.  When I reversed it, I noticed that the drivers were locked as it entered the tunnel but were free again as it exited the tunnel.  I had a few goes at this and, in the end, did my bending trick with the point blade and also prised the check rail away from the stock rail a little using a point that I keep in reserve for such occasions.  Eventually, it managed to pass unimpeded.

Tomorrow, I will try to have a go at the new couplings.  If I can convert the bogies, I will be able to change the bogies on the suburban coach of 4571 and use the two converted ponies on the loco.  I’ll keep you posted.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations