!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 135853 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2580 on: August 10, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
Today was domestic chores day.  I had already completed a few of them before my first foray down to the Train Shed.  In that first session, I ran the next cycle (2a/b/c) including all the run-arounds at the hidden branch termini.  In general, all went well, but the branch locos required a bit of encouragement during the run-around operations.  Perhaps I need to give the run-around loops an extra special deep clean.  The only exception was 64960, which had two or three really snorty stops and starts.  I really must give it a good work over.

Then it was coffee followed by more chores.  After that, I did some picking.  First there were a few raspberries, which are getting a bit thin on the ground (on the cane actually) and a few blackberries.  Then it was the turn of the vegetables, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and cabbage.  Finally, I turned to the legumes.  They have been disappointing this year.  There is only one row of peas left to mature, which will probably be picked next week.  We might finish up with nearly as many as 2016, but much less than last year.  As for the beans, there were only a few ounces of both runners and fine beans.  I think it has simply been too hot and too dry.  I have tried to water them well, but there may be too much Sun on the leaves and flowers.  At least the climbing beans seem to have more flowers, so they might improve.  I just hope they will benefit from a change in the weather.  At this time of year they should be cropping well and go on right into October.

Celia has emptied compost Bin 4 so, in the afternoon, I moved the contents of Bin 3 into Bin 4 so that she will have more garden compost to use on the beds and borders.  Then, I managed another session in the Train Shed.  This time, I wrestled with the prairie coupling problem.  Here are the two pony trucks that arrived on Wednesday.

Also, the four fine brushes that arrived (for painting the point switches) are shown here.

I began the session by cutting off the coupling housing from the bare pony truck (seen on the right) and adding the thickest end of the shim to the back of an NEM pocket (on the left).

I used Humbrol Liquid Poly for the fusion process.  I filed the end of the pony truck flat and cut off the unwanted shim.  Then I fused the shim to the pony truck.  At this stage, I got a little careless, because I hadn’t secured the screw top of the Liquid Poly and managed to knock it over.  I had to act very fast to prevent and absolute disaster.  In the end, there was not too much damage, apart from a lot of Liquid Poly wasted.  However, the atmosphere had become a little toxic and I had to open all the windows to allow plenty of air to circulate.  Once I was happy with the pocket, I fitted the insert and, finally, added an Easy-Shunt coupling, making sure that I fitted everything the right way up.

After that, it was just a case of removing the pivot and wheels from the complete pony truck and adding them to the skeleton.  Unfortunately, I proceeded too fast and broke the bond between the shim and the pony truck (twice).  But eventually, I got it all together.

Now I think it’s a case of leaving it overnight to see if the bonds will be strong enough.  I can’t actually fit the pony truck yet because I will need to fit two, one at each end of the loco.  But I will also have to fit them to the carriage bogies as well, or they won’t couple to the loco.

However, I now have the confidence to proceed with converting the couplings.  I think my next task will be to convert the ‘B’ set.  I can convert the end couplings and then run them ‘inside out’ with the Easy-Shunt couplings in the centre until I convert the loco.  I also need to order some more Dapol Magnets.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2581 on: August 10, 2018, 06:58:51 pm »
Those are very fine fine brushes, Laurence, far better than the cheap and nasty ones I bought, locally. (I'd have to go to a special shop to buy finer fine brushes but they still would not be as good as yours.) Where did you get them from, please?

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2582 on: August 10, 2018, 07:25:02 pm »
Those are very fine fine brushes, Laurence, far better than the cheap and nasty ones I bought, locally. (I'd have to go to a special shop to buy finer fine brushes but they still would not be as good as yours.) Where did you get them from, please?
I bought them on eBay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Fine-Detail-Gold-Taklon-Artist-Paint-Brush-Set-Soft-Grip-Acrylic-Water-Oil/131800927235?var=431167027488&epid=2254722728&hash=item1eaff28c03:m:mzpoDh7Plqv0Xzxnx94-VRQ
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2583 on: August 10, 2018, 09:12:45 pm »
I bought them on eBay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Fine-Detail-Gold-Taklon-Artist-Paint-Brush-Set-Soft-Grip-Acrylic-Water-Oil/131800927235?var=431167027488&epid=2254722728&hash=item1eaff28c03:m:mzpoDh7Plqv0Xzxnx94-VRQ

Many thanks, Laurence, for your quick response.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2584 on: August 11, 2018, 07:16:20 pm »
Today was the day we walk into Hessle to go to the butcher’s and have a cup of coffee at The Black Cat.  Before we went, I managed a short running session in the Train Shed.  Everything ran like clockwork (although it’s a long time since I ran a clockwork train set), even the branch run-arounds were really smooth.  With the branch passenger trains, I have to perform a manual decoupling at the moment, but the pony truck mod I did yesterday means that I should be able to convert all the branch trains to Dapol Easy-Shunts.  I had to give 46443 an almost imperceptible nudge to get it to start from the DOWN loops and 4571 a similar one to get it on its way on its down-wind (so to speak) leg of the run-around.

Once we returned home, I changed (into my working clothes, not into a frog) and set about the remainder of the shredding.  That took me most of the day, including clearing up and removing all the wood for the fire and kindling.  I had hoped to have another session in the Train Shed, but by that time, I was pretty tired and needed a sit down and an aperitif before tea (sorry, dinner, but let’s call it high tea).  My intention was to remove all the coupling rod bolts on 64960 to see which of the drivers was causing the problem.  However, I will have that to look forward to tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2585 on: August 12, 2018, 09:06:20 pm »
I had quite a busy day today.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get as much done it the Train Shed as I would have liked.  But, first thing, I did manage a short running session.  I ran the next cycle (4a/b/c) including all the branch run-arounds.  Eire had a bit of a moment while exiting Platform 2, sticking on Point 33. It was as though there was something holding it back.  Then it seemed to lose electrical contact.  I backed it up and gave the point a bit of a burnish and then it was alright.  6713 was a bit reluctant to run around at first but, again, another quick burnish solved the problem.  It would appear that my track cleaning is not having the desired effect.  So next time I will go over everything twice (or even three times) just to be sure that everything is really clean.  The next problem that I noticed was that, yesterday, two of the trains that ran into the UP loops had not cleared the points fully, resulting in a collision this morning as 80119 entered the UP loops.  After that, pretty well everything ran according to plan.

It was a damp, grey day today so, once the operating session had finished, we went off to a garden centre for coffee and to buy some ferns.  Next, we went to The Range to buy some card making bits for Celia.  Then we went to Currys to collect a laptop 2-in-one that I had ordered earlier.  After we arrived home, I spent quite a bit of the day loading up Office 365, Firefox, McAfee Livesafe, etc.  It all took a fair bit of time, but I did manage to get out into the garden this afternoon.  We were promised a long stint of rain, but all we got was a miserly 0.6mm last night and 1.0mm today.  It was just grey with intermittent rain spots.  Since last Summer, we have had only two months, March and April, when there has been anything like an average month’s rainfall. 

However, the intermittent rain spots were enough to deter me from getting out anything electrical.  So I set about modifying the roof of the compost bins.  Originally there was no roof, but about two years ago, it was clear the Bin 4 (the one used for extracting mature compost) was getting too wet, so I made a plank roof which covered Bins 3 and 4.  I covered them both because that was the easiest option at the time.  However, I now need a couple of the planks to return the old strawberry bed to general use, So I modified the roof to cover Bin 4 only by cutting four of the eight planks in half.  That freed up four planks that I could use elsewhere.

By the time I was ready to return to the Train Shed, it was too late to make another start there, so I will have to try and make more progress there tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:07:23 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2586 on: August 13, 2018, 06:16:01 pm »
Today was table tennis day and we had a very good session with lots of long rallies.  Before we went, I managed a brief running session in the Train Shed, running cycle 5a/b/c.  Things weren’t quite so good today.  I had a couple of coach bogie derailments on the branch, almost certainly due to careless uncoupling.  There was also a little bit of reluctance for the branch locos to start during the run-arounds.  However, it all went off fairly well.

After table tennis we called in at Waitrose for some more wine (they keep sending me vouchers for £8 off if I spend £40, so I can get half a dozen bottles of decent stuff for well under £40.  When we arrived home it was raining (hurray!) so there was nothing to do in the garden for a while.  First, I fixed the one remaining issue with the new laptop.  I installed outlook yesterday but, because I used the automatic configuration, I finished up with an IMAP connection instead of a POP3 connection.  I prefer POP3 because it means I can download the mail and leave it on the server.  If I delete the files locally after I have downloaded them it doesn’t affect the server.  IMAP can be a bit more dangerous if you have accounts on more than one computer.

After that, I managed another session in the Train Shed.  First, I removed all the coupling rod bolts on 64960 (all but one in fact) to see if I could find the cause of the sticking.  The front and rear axles were perfectly free, but I couldn’t really test the middle one because the bolt that holds the coupling rod to the centre driver on the crank side appears to be welded (not literally) to the crank, so I couldn’t get it off.  There may be a good reason for this, probably to ensure the crank operates in the correct phase relative to the driver, but I was unable to find out how to remove it.  However, when I reassembled everything, there seemed to be an improvement, if not 100%. 

Then I had another running session (6a/b/c), this time involving 64960, which was a little difficult to get started, but once running completed its run, including the deceleration phase, with only the very occasional hiatus of the drivers.  I had another bogie short exiting the branch loops.  I must be more careful check for derailments after uncoupling the locos.  The branch goods is no problem because it now has Dapol Easy-Shunts which are decoupled magnetically.

Tomorrow, I may press on with the bogie conversions to NEM pockets.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2587 on: August 13, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »
Great updates Laurence on both the Train Shed & the garden!  Good progress on the platforms.  Look forward to seeing your sewage treatment plant come to life :)

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2588 on: August 14, 2018, 08:45:43 pm »
This morning, Celia was supposed to be going to Sheffield with our granddaughter to do some shopping.  I would have taken them to Brough to catch the train and then gone straight on to J Sainsbury.  However, Celia was pretty ill during the night and really couldn’t manage the trip.  I offered to go in her place, but I think our granddaughter was not too impressed with the idea of going shopping with her wicked grandfather.  So it was all called off.  But it did mean that I was able to have an early(ish) session in the Train Shed.  I ran the next cycle (7a/b/c) and, once again, there were no real issues other that a few hesitations during the run-arounds.

Eventually, I went off to J Sainsbury and when I returned, Celia felt well enough for a small coffee.  After coffee, it was back to the grindstone.  I now have a lot of processed wood (minus all the bits that went into the shredder) to cut up into kindling and firewood.  The current task, which may take a day or two, is to cut up the kindling into short lengths that will fit into the log burner.  I had a break for something to eat and then continued into the afternoon.  By cup of tea time, I had had enough, so I cleared up and made the tea.  I had another wrestle with the lap top during tea, simply familiarising myself with all the different aspects of a 2-in-1.

Then I managed another session in the Train Shed.  This time, I ran the next cycle (8a/b/c) but I was able to take a couple of video clips which I have stitched together.  I was going to try and film the whole cycle, but a short circuit during the first out-runs rather put paid to that, so I filmed the in-runs and then the final sub-cycle with the three freight trains.

I hope you liked the video and tomorrow, I hope to be able to have a go at the bogie couplings.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2589 on: August 14, 2018, 10:10:18 pm »
Glad to learn Celia recovered from whatever ailed her.

I actually finished cutting up the old timber from the veg garden fence. Shame we don't have a woodburner.  :(

Thanks for the video.

Lovely bit of Beethoven - my absolute favourite piano concerto!  :headbang:

Dave G

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2590 on: August 15, 2018, 03:07:04 am »
I bought them on eBay -

Plus 16.99 Sterling for shipping to the U. S. :)

Leon

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2591 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:57 am »
I bought them on eBay -

Plus 16.99 Sterling for shipping to the U. S. :)

Leon

Nearly GBP 14.00 to Europe, Leon. Yet, post-free within the U.K. eBay's profits are stagnant (one of my thesis students has done an analysis) so it is desperately looking for ways to increase profits and extortionate postage fees (and eBay takes a slice of ALL postage charges) seems to be one of its tactics. 8-(

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2592 on: August 15, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »
Nearly GBP 14.00 to Europe, Leon. Yet, post-free within the U.K. eBay's profits are stagnant (one of my thesis students has done an analysis) so it is desperately looking for ways to increase profits and extortionate postage fees (and eBay takes a slice of ALL postage charges) seems to be one of its tactics. 8-(

Chris, I think you're spot on. I've been trading on eBay since 1998 and have not been encouraged by what I've observed during that time. eBay engages is some of the same shady tactics as mainstream auction houses. It's really a poor business model! I've maintained my own website for selling art during most of the same period, however, and cannot generate an adequate level of user traffic. There just isn't a good alternative! As I've said in the Forum previously, I've found Hatton's to be the most reasonable source for British railway modelling. Their prices are competitive, they don't include VAT in their export charges (some do!), and their shipping is the most reasonable I've experienced. One can't rely on a single source, though. It should be conceded that shipping charges have excelerated substantially over the years by carriers, and I suppose much of the increase has been justified. It's interesting to me, however, that my cost for travel to Europe has not increased during that same period of time! One explanation is that the corporate world is subsidizing travel by paying extortianate prices for business class travel (and giving their employees the frequent flyer miles). Everyone is trying to gain leverage in the market place! Another recession ahead?

Leon

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2593 on: August 15, 2018, 06:28:15 pm »
Thank you, Leon. I'd certainly agree with you about Hattons and I do use them very often for both new and secondhand items. I do also use other retailers, such as Rails of Sheffield and Kernow Model Railway Centre. The big retailers seem to be able to negotiate cheaper rates and good service. eBay's own International Shipping is MORE expensive and, at least, initially (I don't use it if at all possible) the service was very slow and poor. I think eBay UK is in danger of losing a lot of non-UK sales. eBay Germany is better and delivery is quicker and can be very reasonable. Before Brexit 'happens' in March 2019, I hope to have everything stockpiled, here, that I will need that I cannot buy on the Continent.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2594 on: August 15, 2018, 06:50:52 pm »
Today, we decided against going to the gym to make sure that Celia is one hundred percent recovered.  So I had a nice early session in the Train Shed.  I still only ran one cycle (9/a/b/c), but I am getting better at managing the branch run-arounds.  At first, I just ran the locos to the stopping point and hit the red emergency stop button, but now I am getting better at selecting when to put them into reverse so that they decelerate to a stop beyond the point.  I then have time to switch the run-around before the loco accelerates back across it.  The most difficult place to get right is the mid-point of the down-wind run, when it is passing its train on the other track.  But I am getting better.

I had another short circuit today with Loco 17 on Point 38.  To prevent this happening again, I used a technique that I have used before with some success in other places.  I firmly hold the end of the free switch blade that is attached to the tie bar and use a probe to reduce the curvature of blade in the middle.  If this continues to be a success, I won’t need to paint the outside of the switch blades to prevent short circuits.  I have ordered two of the new Unifrog points to see if they can be used to eliminate this problem.  With the blades individually isolated and tied to the adjacent stock rails, there will always be good contact with no possibility of a short circuit.  I believe the frog has a built in dropper that can still be connected either to a Cobalt switch or a Hex Frog Juicer.  This looks like an improvement on the Electofrog points that I use at the moment because there is no need to solder on a frog dropper.  If you want to strap the point blades to the stock rail with Electofrog points, you have to cut the connecting wires and then solder them to the stock rails whereas, with the Unifrog points, this is all built in to the construction.  However, I will wait until they arrive before I make a final pronouncement on them.

You can see the modified point with the free blade practically straight.

On the other hand, with Point 40, the free blade is more curved.  It seems that it is this curve that the leading pony wheels foul on the small prairies.

The straight-on route is not critical on Point 40 because it only leads to a little-used siding.  On the next sub-cycle, it was the turn of 45206 to run into the milk depot with the milk train.  After the derailments on the crossover during previous runs, I slowed it right down to a scale speed of about 12mph and it ran in faultlessly.  It also tested the modified blade with the points set the other way and there was no hint of a problem there, so it looks as though the modification is a success.

After that session, I picked more Sungold tomatoes and then sprayed the potatoes again for blight.  Then it was time for coffee, followed by more cutting up of kindling from the hedge cuttings.  I managed to finish it all and stack most of the pieces of kindling in a plastic ‘coffin’, two of which we use for that purpose. 

For our midday snack we had our first home-grown corn on the cob (sweet corn).  It was delicious, nothing like the supermarket versions.  We generally grow about eighteen plants, which usually yield more that a dozen corn heads.  In the afternoon, I sawed up all the wood that was too large to use for kindling and stowed in one of the wood stacks.  Then I managed another session in the train shed.  This time, I set about converting the other pony truck frame to an NEM pocket.

Following that, I ran the next timetable cycle (10a/b/c) which ran very smoothly, apart from one or two sticking points during the branch run-arounds.  I have to say that my attempts at getting the run-arounds perfected was rather poor this afternoon.  Possibly, I wasn’t paying sufficient attention.

I have been quite busy on the internet today.  When I bought the two Unifrog points, I also bought two new pairs of Dapol magnets.  I have decided that it would be better to use whole magnets to make it easier to position the locos for uncoupling.  Then I ordered a pair of Dapol ‘B’ set bogey frames to convert followed by a pair of Farish Mk1 bogey frames for the same reason.  That means I will be able to carry out the conversions and then fit the converted bogies after conversion.  Soon, I should be able to carry on with scenic work.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations