!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 136253 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2400 on: June 19, 2018, 02:09:55 am »
So we went off to one of our favourite garden centres, which is only about five miles away, for coffee and to buy one or two bits and pieces, before returning to Burton Constable after it had opened.

My wife and I drove through eastern Wales week before last and came upon a mind boggling garden centre. I can't imagine one more extensive in size and inventory. It was apparently sited on an old railroad right-of-way and had used a railway theme throughout. For the life of me, I now can't remember the name, but I'm sure I have it somewhere in the bits and pieces brought back from our trip.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2401 on: June 19, 2018, 12:56:25 pm »
My wife and I drove through eastern Wales week before last and came upon a mind boggling garden centre. I can't imagine one more extensive in size and inventory. It was apparently sited on an old railroad right-of-way and had used a railway theme throughout. For the life of me, I now can't remember the name, but I'm sure I have it somewhere in the bits and pieces brought back from our trip.
Leon
It was probably the Old Railway Line in Brecon:

https://www.oldrailwaylinegc.co.uk/
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2402 on: June 19, 2018, 07:41:30 pm »
First, there is some good news.  The two 45XX 2-6-2 tank locomotives have been dispatched and are expected at the Aylesbury MPD within the next couple of days.  When they arrive, the management of the Aylesbury and Worcester Operational Department will organise their transport to Swindon Works for their major refits.  Swindon estimate that the time for the refits will be about a week, so within the next two weeks, branch operations should be able to recommence.

In the early morning session today, I managed several timetable sub-cycles, ending with 45206 taking the milk train from the milk depot to the UP loops.  It stalled exiting the milk lop crossovers and then came to a halt in the UP loops with a grinding noise.  It sounded like a loss of traction tyres again and, indeed, that turned out to be the case.  Here it is in the loco cradle awaiting new traction tyres.

Later, I found two new traction tyres, but I am concerned that the tyres I have may be a little over sized, leading to their shedding.  I will need to see if I can locate some spares of the correct size.  Anyway, once the new tyres were fitted, I was able to run 45206 for a couple of circuits through the milk loop to make sure everything was alright. 

I concentrated on finishing the next few sub-cycles, also increasing the acceleration time of some of the locos, to make them pull away more slowly.  I thought it might be a good idea to show a video of slow trains.  First you see 80119 with its slow deceleration and slow acceleration.  Then, I have added 3846 with the heavy goods making slow progress around the layout.

Tomorrow, I will run some more sub-cycles and work on the acceleration of more locos.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2403 on: June 19, 2018, 08:20:20 pm »
First you see 80119 with its slow deceleration and slow acceleration.  Then, I have added 3846 with the heavy goods making slow progress around the layout.

Very nice.
I'm sure your locos shed more traction tyres in a week than mine have done in my lifetime in N (some 35 years) :confused2:
And lastly, can I ask what today's music is please?

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2404 on: June 19, 2018, 08:44:47 pm »
And lastly, can I ask what today's music is please?
It's the slow movement (appropriately) of Haydn's Symphony 98 in B flat Major.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2405 on: June 19, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »
Looking good there Laurence, sorry to hear of your tyre problem, I had a similar problem with my tender drive Black Five, mind you that's when it last run which was ages ago, I really need to fix it or get it fixed. You seem to be having problems with those two tank loco's I wonder if it is a pickup issue, it will be interesting to see how your two new locos run once converted to dcc.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2406 on: June 19, 2018, 09:42:48 pm »
It was probably the Old Railway Line in Brecon:
https://www.oldrailwaylinegc.co.uk/

Laurence, you're right. I didn't remember how far we were from Brecon, but as I recall it is a few miles east of Brecon. It WAS a special place, though.

Revealing my ignorance, what IS a traction tire?

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2407 on: June 20, 2018, 12:25:10 am »
I have added 3846 with the heavy goods making slow progress around the layout.

Laurence, I believe I enjoy your writing and video production as much as your layout! Having said that, your layout is providing me with many insights that will no doubt be beneficial as I progress with my own endeavors. Those with more knowledge and experience than me have commended your layout and I can add nothing but applause.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2408 on: June 20, 2018, 06:48:04 am »
Revealing my ignorance, what IS a traction tire?
Leon
Hi Leon
Using the English spelling  :D a traction tyre is a rubber tyre that fits around a groove in the steel tyre of a motor-driven wheel to give it traction on the rails.  Tender driven locos, such as Farish, tend to have four, two on the front pair of tender wheels and two on the back.  Locos with the power delivered by the drivers, such as Dapol, tend to have two traction tyres on the rear pair of drivers.  Tank locos often don't have any, presumably because they're not expected to pull heavy loads, although my 80119 pulls six coaches without any problem.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:27:55 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2409 on: June 20, 2018, 06:57:48 am »
Great video, Laurence, even though newportnobby is pretending to be cultured  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2410 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:43 am »
Great video, Laurence, even though newportnobby is pretending to be cultured  ;)

I'm hurt. I can be culchud at times :P

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2411 on: June 20, 2018, 07:30:25 pm »
It was a slightly unusual day today.  We didnít go to the gym this morning, because we were doing something there in the afternoon and, with visitors coming on Friday, we decided that one visit to the gym was enough for today.  So I had quite a good session in the Train Shed before coffee.  I ran five sub-cycles and everything went well apart from 92006.  Not that there was anything wrong with the loco, but it kept jumping off the rails again at Point 30.  In the end, I decided that the radius of the curve approaching the point was too sharp, causing the front drivers to derail at the approach to the frog, causing the whole thing to stop at the point.  I managed to get it out of the loop and run it to the UP loops.  Itís strange that, until Monday, it had been no trouble.  However, I removed the track pins on the approach to the point and re-laid the track.  I gave 92006 three circuits to check that all was well before completing my operations for the morning.

This has convinced me that I need to re-lay the tracks in the loops again.  I donít intend to lift the points, just the curves after the first ninety-degree bends.  This will allow me to give a wider spacing between the tracks which, in turn, will give me more operational flexibility.  At the moment there are certain constraints because of the small clearances on the bends.  It will also ensure that 92006 isnít subjected to such a tight radius again.

There was really good news later.  The two 45XX tank locos arrived at Aylesbury MPD and were swiftly despatched to Swindon works (alias Wickness) for conversion to DCC.  When they return, they will be put to work on the branch while I decide what to do with the two panniers.  I am also about to think about converting the branch locos to Dapol magnetic couplings.  I will wait (even longer) for the Farish Standard Class 3 2-6-2T.  I first ordered it in October 2016 and its release date keeps receding into the future.  But, eventually, it should materialise.  Then I will be able to run a proper branch service with run-arounds at the end of each leg.

Iím afraid that there are no pictures or videos today, but Iíll try to produce some visuals tomorrow.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #2412 on: June 20, 2018, 10:58:43 pm »
I think I sold all mine on again, but I'll have a rummage as I might have one or two still that you'd be welcome to for a trial
Thank you.  That would be very useful if you can find any.

I don't appear to have any in a pack, but may be able to source a pair still on a wagon which would suit for a trial, I'll have another look when I get chance

I do have a pack of the conversion pockets which may become spare, these are for replacing the chopped off coupling / pocket with an NEM box

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2413 on: June 21, 2018, 07:26:28 pm »
Tomorrow we are expecting visitors for the weekend and so, today, I carried out all the domestic chores that I usually do on Friday.  I had quite a good early session in the Train Shed and set myself the goal of completing the entire operational timetable by the end of the day so that I can get on with track cleaning and then carry out the engineering works on re-laying the loops on the DOWN loops board.  Everything went well and I completed the third (out of four) full cycle before I left to carry on with the chores.  There was more good news during the day.  First, the management of the Aylesbury and Worcester Operational Department heard that the two 45XXs had arrived at Swindon Works and work on the conversions should commence shortly.  Then the tender wheel traction tyres for the Farish locomotives arrived, so I now have a good stock of the correct tyres in case of future failure.

Later in the afternoon, I returned to the Train Shed and completed the final full timetable cycle, so I am now ready to commence track cleaning and further engineering works.  There were no problems with the locomotives today although, with my provisional routes operational timetable, I did make a couple of errors and had to go back and complete journeys where I had left trains in the station by mistake.  However, there were two problems which occurred and need rectification.  The first was that Cranmore Hall, as it left UP Loop 5 partially derailed over the point blade of Point 14, as did all the bogies of the carriages.  Fortunately, it all stayed on the rails and I had to inspect Point 14 to see what had happened.  It has never been a problem before.  It appears that there is a problem with removing the spring from Peco Streamline points.  The spring served to keep the tie bar firmly in place and I have had problems with one or two other points, at least one of which I had to scrap.  In this case, the tie bar is flapping around and so the turnout blade doesnít make proper contact with the stock rail.  So more engineering work is required to replace the point, which wonít be easy, because it is connected by short sections of track to three other points.  I hope I still have another left-hand point and, this time, I will leave the spring in, provided I can adjust the Cobalt throw sufficiently to prevent a short circuit during changeover.

The second problem was that Tiverton Castleís train derailed really badly when entering the UP loops.  One of the bogies of the sixth coach jumped the points at Point 5 and severed the train.  It then carried on with the front bogie on the correct loop and the rear on a different one.  Something like this has happened before.  Previously, I have been able to correct it by reversing the guilty coach, but the problem may be more fundamental than that.  It is something I will have to keep an eye on.  Anyway, the two expresses, Royal Ulster Rifleman at the head of the DOWN, South Midland Express and Tiverton Castle in charge of the UP, Dragon Beach Express each made a fine sight in the following video.

It was after it had completed the video run that Tiverton Castleís train misbehaved. 

It wonít matter if the engineering works are not complete when the two 45XXs return from Swindon Works because the branch line is not affected by the works and the locos can be tested and calibrated.  If I get time tomorrow, I will make a start on track cleaning.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2414 on: June 22, 2018, 09:19:45 pm »
It was a bit of a rushed day today, what with visitors and everything.  First thing, I cleared off all the buildings, tunnels, etc. to prepare for cleaning.  Today was like a Saturday in that we went to the butcherís and for coffee, in readiness for the descending hoards (actually there was only one).  Before the hoards descended, I was able to clean all the main layout tracks (everything except the loops).  I also looked out a replacement point for the damaged one on the UP loops.  Then, later, I was able to demonstrate running to the visitor by clearing out the UP loops ready for cleaning and showing the cleaning process on the exit point complex.  I may not be able to get much done over the next couple of days  :sorrysign:, but I would like to be able to replace the faulty point, if possible.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations