!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 128665 times)

wignall and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2017, 10:17:41 am »
Sorry to hear about your problems with your route selection. Have you thought about perhaps trying a slow action point motor,a tortoise or Cobalt for instance and see if they are better to use.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2017, 10:27:47 am »
Hessle got a mention weather wise on the BBC news this morning so I hope you avoid any flooding issues, Laurence :worried:

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2017, 11:04:46 am »
Hessle got a mention weather wise on the BBC news this morning so I hope you avoid any flooding issues, Laurence :worried:
No flooding here.  I live in Cliff Top Lane.  The clue is in the name!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2017, 07:17:55 pm »
I spent a few hours in the train shed today but, as usual, achieved far less than I had hoped.  Most of it was down to making silly mistakes which I should have been able to avoid because of previous efforts.  I will not bore everyone with a list of them all but the major one involved the final point in the goods yard.  You may remember that I had to re-plan the goods yard layout because Point 46 fouled a longitudinal board member.  I moved it and there was sufficient room for the Seep provided I mounted the Seep on the side furthest from the longitudinal member.  However, that was a few days ago.  When I came to install the Seep today, I forgot and mounted it on the near side, which is generally easier.  Of course, when I came to close everything down for testing, I found that the Seep was fouled by the longitudinal member.  So there was nothing for it but to move it.  I checked that everything worked in the new position and then fixed Point 46 in place.  However, when I came to close everything up the Point just would not change.  I checked everything but could not identify the cause.  So I resolved to revert to the original position and went into the garage for my coping saw.  I hacked a lump out of the longitudinal member and that fixed it.

After that I laid the board flat and abutted the tracks to those on the left hand station board.  They still aligned pretty well, but I have ordered some track pins to make sure they always line up correctly when I remove and replace a board.  I then checked the operation of all the installed points and tested all the tracks with the 2-6-4 tank.  It negotiated the board joins very well and, when I have screwed the board down and pinned the tracks, the joins should cause no running problems.  Apart from a few dead spots where the track needs cleaning everything works well and the points were all traversed in each direction.  However, I did come across an unexpected problem that I might have anticipated had I thought about it carefully.

I noticed that when the two yard points were set to 1 (turnout), it created a short circuit on the DCC bus.  Its not a serious problem because the controller can cope with shorts and just sits there flashing.  However, I decided that it needed proper, logical investigation.  I had first tried several things, but without identifying the cause.  So, after a cup of tea, I wrote myself a logic truth table and investigated all the combinations.  At first it made no sense, but then I realised that I had wired the frog on the second yard point with connections from the DCC bus instead of from the two rails feeding it.  So now, at least, I am in a position to fix it.  What I need to do is to insert two droppers from the feed rails and connect them to the Seep auxiliary switch.  This all comes about because I decided to dispense with insulated connectors to the frogs, which is a satisfactory solution if you remember that the feed rails are not fed from the DCC bus.

Anyway, apart from the need to make that minor correction I am all ready to screw down the centre station board and move on to the right hand board.  Once that is done, I might be able to spoof a few trains.  Apologies for no pictures again, but I was so busy that I forgot to take time out for pics. 
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2017, 07:22:21 pm »
I'm very glad that despite setbacks and frustrations, things seems to be progressing reasonably well Laurence.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #365 on: January 13, 2017, 09:48:57 pm »
I'm very glad that despite setbacks and frustrations, things seems to be progressing reasonably well Laurence.

Seconded! It all sounds far too complicated for me. All my points are hand-operated but the fiddleyard points could benefit from having point motors fitted, later, I have to admit.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2017, 06:44:56 am »
Seconded! It all sounds far too complicated for me. All my points are hand-operated but the fiddleyard points could benefit from having point motors fitted, later, I have to admit.
As you've already got DCC installed, it would be fairly straight forward to fit an accessory decoder to operate the yard points.  It's just a question of making sure the point motors are in the correct position to operate the points correctly and then making sure that you buy a decoder the works with your DCC system and will operate the points satisfactorily.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2017, 06:56:48 am »
Thanks, Laurence. I have a basic PowerCab. Fitting point motors in the fiddle yard (which is removable as it is mounted on a balsa wood 'deck') is something I'll consult with my landlord when he comes next weekend to complete the lighting wiring.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2017, 06:00:17 pm »
Today was mainly a good day.  The only slight problem was caused by Hattons.  Yesterday, I ordered one or two items including two Peco Streamline code 55 left hand medium radius points, SL-E396F.  The order arrived today.  Unfortunately, two right hand curved points SL-E386F have been sent instead.  When I checked back to my October order, I discovered that 3 of the22 SL-E396F were in fact SL-E386F.  So now I have five points I neither ordered nor want.  Hattons have told me to return them and they will replace them, but it's all extra hassle.  Apart from that, everything went well.

I have sorted out the problem with the point switching in the goods yard.  The picture gives an idea of the problem.

I designated the right hand rails as Red and the left hand rails as Black.  As you can see, with the points switched as in the picture, both rails on the right hand branch from the nearest set of points should be connected to Red and so there should be no signal along that branch.  However, I have adopted the system of connecting the frog switching directly to the Red and Black DCC buses.  This is fine in the normal run of things, but in this case, when the furthest point is switched as shown, this connects the Black rail to the Red rail, hence the short circuit.  The problem was corrected by removing the black supply to the furthest frog switch and connecting it to a dropper from the far end of the left hand siding, as seen from the furthest point.  So all's now well and retested.

I thought I would show some trains, even though the layout is far from complete.  Here you see a shortened local goods entering the goods loop while a non-corridor train waits at the branch platform.

Here's the same scene from another angle.

And here, after a time warp, you can see the non-corridor train leaving Morton Hinmarch while the local goods approaches on the UP main.

I got all the track laid across the next board join and I am now ready to cut the track and lift the next board in preparation for installing the points.  This is how far I have got.

So I hope to start on the next board tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:24:13 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »
Thanks for the latest update, Laurence, especially the train photos. Very good to see the trackwork progessing well. I didn't know that BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts (as much as I like them) were seen in the Gloucestershire / Oxfordshire area though?

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2017, 07:27:39 pm »
Thanks for the latest update, Laurence, especially the train photos. Very good to see the trackwork progessing well. I didn't know that BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts (as much as I like them) were seen in the Gloucestershire / Oxfordshire area though?
Their predecessors (Stanier, Fowler and Ivatt) were certainly seen in South Warwickshire and the location of Morton Hinmarch is somewhat vague, so I'm not being too pedantic about what can be seen where.  I actually grew up in touch the the Ex-LMS line to Birmingham and its branch lines and the Ex-GWR lint to Birmingham and its branch lines, so I don't mind a bit of mix and match.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #371 on: January 14, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »
I wasn't sure of the actual geographical location, Laurence. Very late in the days of steam in Warwickshire, a BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T could be seen. (The details are on John's Claverdon  thread.)

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2017, 08:24:24 pm »
In my earlier working days, I repaired televisions for a living.  I used to travel the highways and byways of South Northamptonshire, South Warwickshire, North Gloucestershire, East Worcestershire and North Oxfordshire.  I lived in Moreton-in-Marsh, but Morton Hinmarch could be anywhere in that area (and possibly in all those counties at once, if imagination is allowed to rule).  So I have some of the locos that ran on the Ex-Great Central, some Ex-LMS and some Ex-GWR, plus a few standard derivatives.  Morton Hinmarch is more about the general feeling of being in that area rather than actual historical accuracy. 
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2017, 09:07:52 pm »
Thanks for the explanation, Laurence. Now, I understand.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2017, 06:36:05 am »
At the end of yesterday, I came across one small problem, although it's probably not really a problem at all.  When I laid the track across the join between the centre board and the right hand board, I discovered that there was about 1mm difference in the height, the right hand board being the lower.  I investigated using an extra layer of cork underlay, but this was too thick and would have raised the track on the right hand board above the level of the centre board.  I don't think it will be too much of problem.  When I lift the right hand board, I will try laying a piece of underlay on top of the end frame and see if the pressure of screwing it down squashes it sufficiently to level the two boards.  If not, I will try some thin card (probably from a box or packet), so I should be able to get the thickness right and ensure the boards are level.  I will report after my next exploit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:04:54 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104%