!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 147904 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2835 on: November 05, 2018, 09:29:28 pm »
Well.......that’s a bit of a surprise but then again, in some ways, perhaps not.
If you are not entirely happy with what you have created then perhaps it will be good to restart. You must have learned an awful lot over the last two years or so.
Having said that, the railway you have created looks fine and allows you to run good length trains over realistic distances. Something that many of us cannot aspire to.
Will you be carrying on with the current layout and take it to a conclusion? Whatever and whenever that may be.
I do empathise with your situation. Indeed I have rebuilt Port Perran completely once and partially a second time. However my 6ft by 4ft (or so) layouts are much easier to take down and restart than yours.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well and please do keep us up to date with your most entertaining posts.

Seconded!

It might be worth having second (and even third!) thoughts before flattening the present excellent layout.

With all best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #2836 on: November 06, 2018, 12:15:39 am »
Well.......that’s a bit of a surprise but then again, in some ways, perhaps not.
If you are not entirely happy with what you have created then perhaps it will be good to restart. You must have learned an awful lot over the last two years or so.
Having said that, the railway you have created looks fine and allows you to run good length trains over realistic distances. Something that many of us cannot aspire to.
Will you be carrying on with the current layout and take it to a conclusion? Whatever and whenever that may be.
I do empathise with your situation. Indeed I have rebuilt Port Perran completely once and partially a second time. However my 6ft by 4ft (or so) layouts are much easier to take down and restart than yours.
Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well and please do keep us up to date with your most entertaining posts.

Seconded!

It might be worth having second (and even third!) thoughts before flattening the present excellent layout.

With all best wishes.

John

:hellosign: Fully agree with Martin & John, whatever your decision is best of luck please don`t stop posting
      regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2837 on: November 06, 2018, 06:36:30 am »

Seconded!

With all best wishes.

John

:hellosign: Fully agree with Martin & John, whatever your decision is best of luck please don`t stop posting
      regards Derek.

Thirded! I still think that the problem may not be enough droppers to supply a consistent power supply and, if you can fix that, Laurence, there is no need to scrap the layout for that reason. However, I do understand your wish to rebuild the baseboards into liftable sections to be able to get to the underboard wiring. That makes a great deal of sense and, if I ever build Penmanye, I will do that. (Cant Cove can already be raised off its trestles. The key is, as others have said, to have a layout that you're happy with on which trains run smoothly.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #2838 on: November 06, 2018, 07:34:31 am »
Quote from: Innovationgame
I am now far enough down the road to realise that the layout I am building is not the one that I really wanted. ... I intend to start again.

I can fully understand your frustration, Laurence. If I were to start again I sooo wouldn't do the baseboards in the same way. But then that was and is part of the learning process for me. SO I'll bash on and try and learn some more skills with the layout I have.
I mixed together some 1mm spring meadow with some 2mm flowering meadow and used that for the first layer. Then I added the same to the two flat strips of grass between the mainlines and the branch.  Finally, I added an area of 4mm summer meadow along the flat top.  This is the view ... view looking towards the tunnel.

This is looking really good, Laurence. The grassy knolls bring a whole new dimension to the layout. You have achieved a lot in the last two years.

The new layout will still be Marton Hinmarche and the basic track plan and running ethos will still be the same.  But ... by creating baseboards that can easily be separated... This will allow me to work on sections away from the Train Shed and, hopefully, take it to a show or two.

... I will mark out all the tracks, but I won’t lay anything down until all the scenery is complete. ... Once all the wiring has been installed, I will add the scenery and buildings.  Only when that is complete, will I start to lay track.

I don't know what others think, and I'm certainly no expert but I'd say that without the track in place you might not get the right 'look and feel' for the scenery ... but hey that's just me!

I would love to use Kato track but it may prove impossible to create eight concentric loops at each end of the layout.  So that’s something to ponder over the coming months (and, possibly, years).

Yup Kato kit is a bit more limiting (at the moment), but I'm sure you'll come up with a solution ... a transition between Peco and Kato track perhaps?

Anyway, I add my congrats on an excellent job to date ... and looking forward to Marton Hinmarche II.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2839 on: November 06, 2018, 07:18:20 pm »
Thank you all for your kind and encouraging remarks.  Please don’t worry about the future of the present layout.  I intend to soldier on for a while, using it as a test bed for all the things I want to do with the next version.  So I’ll carry on with the scenery and experimenting with the operational timetable, etc. but, at the end of the day, I am now beginning to plan for the next version of the layout.  I’d like to branch out with a few new ideas while I’m still here (so to speak), such as scratch-building some of the buildings for the town, following Roger’s instructions.  In the end, the plan was always to replace the Metcalfe kits eventually because they were used as a ‘quick and dirty’ way to get some semblance of the town in place at an early stage. 

The idea of laying the track last is so that I don’t spoil the look of it by all my scenery building, which is what is happening at the moment.  As long as I create the same track plan for the main part of the layout and keep the scenic details approximately the same, I should be able to create the scenery just as I would like it instead of adding it afterwards.  I will seriously think about reconfiguring the storage loops though to improve running there, because that’s where most of the problems occur.  In particular, I want the branch run-arounds to be straight because the Dapol Easy-Shunts don’t uncouple very reliable on the curved sections but, worse, they are difficult to recouple because the curvature results in mis-alignment of the couplings.  Some are better than others and they will all work eventually, given enough attempts.

Also, in ‘show mode’, the ‘hidden’ loops will become a feature of the layout, with the operator working from the middle.  The internal backscenes for the loops will have some sort of industrial or railway-related theme.  If all the boards are of the ‘lift out’ variety, I could even have a lift out section across the doorway, which would allow the branch trains to cross from Shipton to Norton and vice versa ‘invisibly’, so to speak, as far as the main layout is concerned.

I didn’t really get down to the Train Shed today, except for a brief session when he joiner had finished and I showed him the layout.  He was very impressed with it and decided that, when he retires, he will embark on an ‘N’ gauge project of his own.  So tomorrow, I will try to make a little more progress with the scenery on the DOWN leg board, before I begin track cleaning and another running session.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2840 on: November 06, 2018, 09:35:42 pm »
That's good news, Laurence I agree with you about reconfiguring the storage loops.

BTW, I hope to complete the two station bookstalls, including yours, in January. I just need to get the printed detailing right and glue it on.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2841 on: November 07, 2018, 07:49:44 am »
That's good news, Laurence I agree with you about reconfiguring the storage loops.

BTW, I hope to complete the two station bookstalls, including yours, in January. I just need to get the printed detailing right and glue it on.
Thanks Chris.  I look forward to receiving the bookstall, which should look good on Platform 2.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2842 on: November 07, 2018, 06:59:40 pm »
I did manage an early session in the Train Shed this morning.  I decided that the trains had been waiting around for long enough and now need some running to make them (and me) feel better.  So I cut out a piece of EPS for the end of the cutting and stuck it down. 

I then embarked on cleaning all the main boards, this time using a Peco track rubber and sandpaper.  I don’t clean the track with the sandpaper, but after four passes, one on each side of each end of the rubber, I then clean the rubber on the sandpaper to get rid of all the crud.  Once that was done, I started to move the trains out of the UP loops.  Here’s 4571 enjoying the new scenery.

I made some erroneous moves and it took me much longer than it should have done to move the trains.  Because of the additional train that I have added to the timetable, the whole thing has become more complicated and I really must get round to writing a new track cleaning timetable, complete with route settings instead of points settings, which are a hangover from before I installed the Cobalts.  Also, some of the locos were very touchy after such a long layoff and required the acceleration to be set to zero.

In the afternoon, I had to walk in to Hessle for my flu jab and, when I returned home, we had a cup of tea.  Then it was back to the Train Shed.  The crew of 4571 spent so much time admiring the new scenery that 3846 crept up on them with a train of empties.

Eventually, after several false starts and corrective runs, I managed to clear the UP loops board.  Here’s a view of Marton Hinmarche with all the tracks occupied by trains moved out of the UP loops.

After the naval gazing of the last couple of days, I’ve been inspired by John Pendle’s lift-out section.  It has occurred to me that I could use such a lift out section on Marton Hinmarche II.  In the meantime, I will work on updating the plan of the current layout to see if I can incorporate such a lift-out section as a test bed for the next layout.

But back to more mundane matters.  Tomorrow, I must clean all the UP loops before moving all the trains back again and clearing the DOWN loops ready for cleaning.  But at least I’m getting some train running therapy again! :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2843 on: November 07, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »
It’s always good to run a few trains to restore one’s mojo a little.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2844 on: November 08, 2018, 08:02:58 pm »
On Thursdays we have a day out.  We couldn’t have a day out last week because of the joiner, but he has now finished and everything is really ship shape.  Before we went, I had my usual early session in the Train Shed, where I cleaned the UP loops, again using the Peco track rubber in conjunction with a sanding block.  After that I started moving the trains out of the station and back to their ‘home’ loops.  I have also started to write another cleaning timetable, with the latest train locations and using routes instead of accessories (points).

It wasn’t a very exciting day out, but with Christmas looming in the distance, we went to John Lewis at York.  We arrived in time for coffee and then made two or three trips back and forth to the car with our booty, before visiting Next and M&S.  Then we had something to eat in Prezzo before returning home again.  After a cup of tea (surprise, surprise) I had another session in the Train Shed, where I completed moving all the trains ready to clean the DOWN loops. 

Here’s a shot of Marton Hinmarche with the trains in the station.  Nearest the camera is the Riddles 9F 2-10-0, 92006 with a fish train in tow.  Next, at Platform 4, is Cranmore Hall with its train of corridor stock.  Over the platform, on the UP mainline is B17, 61664 Liverpool, with another rake of corridor coaches while, unusually, 46122, Royal Ulster Rifleman, has halted at Platform 2 with its twelve coach express.  In the distance, at the goods platform, is Stanier Class 5, 45206, with the milk train. 

In the foreground, you can see the railway workers terraced houses, the labourers’ cottages and the creamery, while on the far side of the station, nearest the camera, is the Dinsdale Arms and, further along, you can see the shops and a row of town dwellers terraced houses.

Tomorrow, it will be on with cleaning the DOWN loops and then returning all the trains back to base, so to speak.  After that, I might have a go at ‘running in’ some of the locos that are a bit rusty after the relatively long layoff.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2845 on: November 09, 2018, 08:24:47 pm »
Today was the day of the interminable household chores.  Also, later, we had a rather tedious meeting.  However, after coffee, I managed a session in the Train Shed and cleaned the DOWN loops before starting to move all the trains out of the station and back to their ‘home’ loops. 

When we returned home, you’ll be surprised to hear that we had a cup of tea.  But that is generally a precursor to another session in the Train Shed.  On this occasion, I completed all the train movements back to their home loops and then decided that, after such a long layoff, I needed to give them some running-in.  So I moved 46443 out of DOWN loop 12 and parked it in the Milk depot.  That allowed me to start running trains from the UP loops through Loop12.  I decided that I would give each eight full circuits.  Each full circuit is about two and a quarter scale miles, so I gave them eight circuits each, which is equivalent to the run from Coventry to Birmingham.  In the afternoon session, I managed to run Forthampton Grange and Jubilee class Eire.  I thought it would be good to show them passing through the newly terraformed area on the DOWN leg board, so here is a short video.

I noticed that Eire seemed to be labouring though the loops and wondered if it might have lost a traction tyre.  So I stopped it on its fifth circuit and examined the tender traction tyres, but both were fine, so I sent it on its way again.  It may be that ten coaches through a 180 degree curve is a bit too much for it.  Tomorrow, I will continue with the run-ins, in the hope that it will solve most of the rough running problems after the layoff.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2846 on: November 10, 2018, 10:17:40 am »
Nice video, that is a heck of a rake of coaches!

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2847 on: November 10, 2018, 06:27:02 pm »
Today I concentrated on 80119.  You may remember that, during the track cleaning movements, it wouldn’t run without setting the acceleration to zero.  So, before we went out this morning, I gave it five circuits to try to run it in again.  After four complete circuits, I stopped it and set the acceleration back to normal.  I am pleased to report that it then ran for a full circuit without a problem.  During the first four circuits, there were some problems running through UP Loop 5, but these turned out to be protrusions that I hadn’t completely eradicated from the engineering works where I had soldered the rail sections together.  Once I had attended to them, 80119 ran without trouble.

We took the car into Hessle again this morning because we wanted to go on to Beverley to buy a picture frame from the Saturday Market.  There are two market places in Beverley, Saturday Market and Wednesday Market.  Their names are a bit of a giveaway as to which day is market day in each.  By the time we returned home, we were ready for something to eat. 

In the afternoon, I finished bubble wrapping the greenhouse.  Although the majority of the glass panels had been covered during my last session there, the remainder was the most difficult bit.  The bubble wrap had to be threaded behind the shelves, which required some contortion and, under the main (bottom) shelf, there are several additional shelf units.  This required the painstaking removal of the contents and things stored underneath, so that the units could be removed for access beneath the (bottom) bench shelf.  It also involved moving everything off the top shelf.  So, by the time I had finished the whole greenhouse, including the doors, it was time for a cup of tea (you knew I was going to say that!).

Then I had another session in the Train Shed, running 80119 again.  I gave it another three full circuits before testing its stopping and starting performance in the station.  There were slight problems starting on a couple of occasions and, also, a couple of hiccups on the main line and in the DOWN loops.  But I was able to make a short video of its UP run, stopping and starting at Platform 3.

I think 80119 can stand on its own two feet for a bit while I concentrate on the rest of the trains.  Dicheat Manor will be the next in line.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2848 on: November 10, 2018, 08:02:03 pm »
Hi Laurence, interesting to read of your intention to build a new layout. That is exactly what I did myself, I found myself far too often struggling crawling under the layout to try to fix any problems plus I over complicated the layout. My layout now is mainly modular, the sections fit together with dowels and catches and can be turned on the side to gain access underneath to wiring etc if required. I also learned to add feed wires to every section of track, and like you I changed my point motors to the Cobalts. The only part of my layout that is not modular is the fiddle yard and that might be a future project, that section is still using the old Peco point motors. A lot of the points have been changed for live frog with a couple of hex juicers, one supplied by you.  I have found Station Road Baseboards a very good firm to deal with, he can supply dowels and catches, hinges etc for baseboard use at good prices. Good luck when you start you new project, this hobby can be a huge learning curve fortunately there are a lot on here who can help.

a link here for anyone interested https://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/index.htm
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:34:13 pm by lil chris, Reason: added link »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2849 on: November 10, 2018, 08:55:17 pm »
Very enjoyable little video Laurence.

Thank you.

Alec.