!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 122743 times)

Online Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2460 on: July 11, 2018, 06:46:24 pm »
Many thanks, Laurence.

This is very helpful.  I am thinking about re-doing the platforms on my layout and your observations are of great interest.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2461 on: July 11, 2018, 06:51:38 pm »
The blade and/or guide rule 'skating' away from the line you want is something I've encountered as well.  :censored:

Using a workmate type bench, I clamped the steel rule to the material and that helped a lot. These are the kind of clamps I have in my armoury:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/25mm1-heavy-duty-plastic-hand-clamp/

I fear that your guillotine blade may well be jiggered (that's technical for  :censored:) after cutting the tougher material!

My platforms are based on Metcalfe side walls and cut to width A2 mounting card. I made up Z shaped inserts to support and reinforce the long runs. The A2 board let me produce platforms without any joins as my usual passenger train length is rarely more than 6 coaches.

Look forward to seeing the results of your trials.

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2462 on: July 11, 2018, 09:56:10 pm »
Looks like you have the height spot on, Laurence, so your work has paid off.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2463 on: July 12, 2018, 06:40:33 am »
I fear that your guillotine blade may well be jiggered (that's technical for  :censored:) after cutting the tougher material!
Actually, Dave, the blade is about the same thickness and durability as one I used years ago for cutting 16G aluminiun for chassis making (no-one uses a chassis any more).  I think it would take more that a flimsy bit of plasticard to cause it any problem.  Good old fashioned German functionality!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2464 on: July 12, 2018, 10:33:44 am »
Good old fashioned German functionality!

But I have German tools and still end up making a Bosch job of things :confused2:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2465 on: July 12, 2018, 11:59:34 am »
Nice work with the platforms Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2466 on: July 12, 2018, 08:23:34 pm »
Thursday is our day out.  Today was slightly different because we had to go and recover Celiaís jacket and mobile phone.  You may remember that, when we went on the river cruise, she left her jacket behind with the mobile phone in the pocket.  Well, thankfully, it all turned up again and we had to go to Colwick (pronounced belly ache) to collect them.  Before we went, I managed four timetable sub-cycles to complete the first full cycle.  Then we made a bit of a day of it, coffee on the way out and lunch at a nice riverside pub in Gunthorpe.

When we arrived home I found three Emails from Hermes to say that my steel rule had been delivered and signed for by the customer (me).  Needless to say, I had not signed for it, nor was there any sign of it in the usual places.  I sent an Email to Hobbycraft, from whom I had purchased it, but by evening I had received no reply so I phoned them.  They checked with Hermes who said it had been signed for by our cleaner.  We donít have a cleaner and there was no-one here all day.  They said they had definitely delivered it to the correct address (but they can't have).  In the end, Hobbycraft agreed to send me another one.

So, without the rule, I persevered with my existing rule, but cutting sheets crossways instead of lengthways.  I cut three 78mm pieces, but made a mess of one of them and had to cut it down to 72mm.  Iíve no doubt the saga will continue tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2467 on: July 13, 2018, 12:02:19 pm »
Today, the news is better. Not that 9744 or 6417 are running any better. I did give them a quick test this afternoon, but they are laid up from active operations at the moment. However, there is good news. The management of the Aylesbury and Worcester Operational Department have ordered two 45XX locos for the branch operations. A straight tank 4571

And a slope tank 5572

Unfortunately, neither are DCC fitted, nor even ready, so they have to go off to Swindon (alias Wickness) for a major refit before branch operations can be resumed.  Once they have been commissioned for branch operations, I may send the two panniers off for major servicing to Swindon.

Apart from that, everything else went (almost) to plan. The only real problem was that 92006 jumped off the rails at Point 30.  It has never done this before and it is the only loco that uses Track 14. I tried it two or three times, all with the same result. So, in the end, I ran it round for a circuit (something I couldnít have done before I started using routes) and then started it more slowly.  I may slow its acceleration to prevent this happening again. The only other issue was that 80119 stopped at Point 33. However, when I tried it again, all was well.

I have found that some of the routes programmed into the new operational timetable are incorrect, so I need to revisit that and make sure everything is OK. Tomorrow, I will continue with timetable running to iron out any other problems.

Many apologies, Laurence. For some reason, I missed your updates. The Dapol Prairie tanks are very fine models (usually; I have only had one bad one, to date) and, as you know, are suitable for DCC conversion and Douglas, of Wickness Models, does a fine job on mine. (You may want to paint the wires showing in the cab matt black though.)

4571 and 5572 do look very fine. Incidentally, 5572 was one of the BR fitted over a dozen 4575's in the 1950's (1953, I believe) for use in the South Wales valleys before Derby-built Suburban DMUs became available:

4578*, 4580, 4581, 4589, 5511, 5524, 5527*, 5529, 5534*, 5545, 5555 (BR Lined Green large Late Crest, 30 09 1961), 5560, 5568, 5572, and 5574.
*BR Lined Black Livery (5527, large Early Crest)

5572 carried BR Black (large NOT small?) Early Crest and, later, BR Lined Green small Late Crest.

In addition, 5526, 5542 have been fitted with auto gear in preservation. (5572, cab end only fitted.)

However, I believe that 5534 and 5572 were the only Auto Prairies shedded at St. Blazey (83E, 5534: 1/60 - 8/60; 5572, 9/60 - 4/61; following the transfer away from South Wales of the auto-fitted 4575s (after the introduction of DMUs) that I could run on my NCR-inspired layout. (However, I would be interested in making that conversion to my BR Black 4575, 5574.) Of course, 14XX and 64XX panniers were more common on autotrains and they were also seen in Cornwall but only on the (G)WR lines. I will definitely have a model of 5572 with push-pull gear (livery undecided, yet, but, probably BR Lined Green Late Crest) plus, probably, 5534.

My Dapol N - 2S-014-003 45xx BRITISH RAILWAYS Plain Black 4571 will become 4526 (83E) which, whilst carrying BRITISH RAILWAYS on its side tanks had a smokebox numberplate and was photographed, at Wadebridge, with a GWR livery B Set, the coaches carrying a W prefix though. Although DCC-fitted at Wickness, my 4571 is awaiting renumbering and detailing as 4526. (Maybe it will appear this summer, at Cant Cove?)

My Dapol N - Detailed 4575 class Small Prairie BR Black Early Crest 5544, will become 5539 (83E)., whilst my Dapol N - 4575 class Small Prairie BR Black Early Crest 5574 is scheduled to become 5534 (83E) [Auto-fitted] but I'm unsure whether it should be lined and recrested as some of the push-pull fitted 4575s were. It has still to be DCC fitted at Wickness.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 12:38:59 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2468 on: July 13, 2018, 12:47:36 pm »
Thanks Chris

In the real world, some of the locos on the Aylesbury and Worcester would have worked many miles away, but this is not the real world (thank goodness).  Both prairies have been extremely well behaved since conversion (says he, inviting the devil to enter the detail).
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #2469 on: July 13, 2018, 08:03:52 pm »
Laurence, I may have said it before, but it bears repeating if I have - I enjoy your commentary immensely! I find the description of your gardening and all of your activities compelling reading (and I'm not a gardner). I admire your energy and stamina! I'm much more sedentary, but force myself to do more when I'm visiting the U. K. We're fortunate to live overlooking the Atlantic, and I did quite a lot of walking around Cape Ann over the nineteen years we've been here, but while I'm not an invalid my walking has been significantly dimenished.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2470 on: July 13, 2018, 08:14:03 pm »
The corollary to last nightís debacle over the steel rule is that, late last night, a neighbour called round to deliver the Hermes parcel which had been wrongly left at his house.  Unfortunately, his cleaner signed for the parcel and never checked that it was for their address.  I sent an Email to Hobbycraft to inform them of the discovery, but later this morning I received an Email to say that the replacement had already been dispatched.  They asked me to refuse it and send it back, but the Hermes man put it in the shed a posted a note through our letterbox, so Iíll have to return it some other way.

In the end, itís not very useful because, although itís non-slip, itís very flexible whereas I really need a rigid one to hold the Plasticard in place.  So I cheated and stuck some self-adhesive cork underlay to the back of my 30cm rule and that is perfect for the job.  Now that I have changed to cutting the sheets crossways itís adequately long enough for the purpose.

Today was a household jobs day, but I did manage to get down to the Train Shed this morning and run the next four sub-cycles of the timetable.  Also, I finished the new version of the operational timetable, so I should be able to start using that when the current runs are complete.  This afternoon there was a lot of pruning to do, mainly of Pyracantha, which is just about the nastiest thing you could choose to prune.  I wore gardening gloves, but twice a thorn broke off in the glove and I had to turn the glove inside out and extract the thorn with my teeth.  My left forearm is a mass or cuts and scratches.

But, eventually, I did manage some more Train Shed time.  I didnít spend much time in the Train Shed, but in the garage with the guillotine, where I was able to set up a production run of platform sections using the newly adapted 30cm steel rule to hold the Plasticard in place on the guillotine.  In the end, I managed to cut all eight sections of both the platform surface and the substrate.

Eight sections 220mm long gives me a platform of 1760mm long, including the ramps.  This is slightly longer than my original design of 1680mm, but quite a lot shorter than the one I built from a Metcalfe kit.  The 1680mm length was 1440mm of level platform and 120mm for each end ramp.  Thatís just enough to accommodate a ten-coach train.  The new length will be 1540mm of level platform and 110mm for each end ramp.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to start assembling the new platform.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #2471 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:39 pm »
That there Pyracantha is wicked stuff and surely the Devil's work ::)
 :ouch: :ouch: :ouch: :'(

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2472 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:12 pm »
Today, being Saturday once again, it was walking into Hessle to the butchers and for coffee.  But, before we went, I had time to run the next three sub-cycles of the timetable.  There was a bit of a problem with 80119.  Its outrun was OK, but I noticed an intermittent clunk as it ran.  However, on its in-run, it stopped suddenly several times, each time with the same clunk.  Worrying!  I put a drop of Dapol oil on the motion in case there was a problem there, but the problem continued.  Iíll have to keep an eye on it tomorrow and see how it performs.  If necessary, I may have to run it round a few times with zero acceleration.

After we returned, I carried out routine tip-removal on the fruit trees (to encourage better fruit development) and tied in some of the still-growing espalier arms.  Once that was done, I picked Sungold tomatoes, before it was time for something to eat.  We sat and ate watching the last two sets of the menís semi-final, which went on well into the afternoon.  Then I set about picking raspberries, strawberries and tayberries.  I think the strawberries are just about finished, with a disappointing yield this year.  However, it is their last year (four years is about the useful fruit production span for a strawberry plant).  I think the tayberries are also just about finished, because the young blackbirds attack them on the vine.  When the bushes become more productive, the birds should be less of a problem (either that or Iíll buy a shotgun!).  Then, after a cup of tea, it was back to the Train Shed.

I started to assemble the sections I had cut out yesterday.  Here you see two platform sections (78mm wide) joined by a substrate section (72mm wide).

I then went on to join all the platform sections until the whole surface was complete.  The overall length is 1760mm, which will be 1660mm of platform and 50mm of ramp at each end. The original design length was 1560 of platform and 60mm of ramp at each end.  I have laid the new platform surface on top of the original Ratio platform for comparison.

However, it is somewhat shorter than the Metcalfe platform that I made, which was a bit over the top.  Hereís the new platform surface laid on top of the Metcalfe platform.

Tomorrow, Iíll continue the platform construction. 

I forgot to say, when describing all my garden activities, that every night during the current hot spell, I have had to send about an hour watering everything, which is a bit of a pain, but necessary if I donít want everything to die.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2473 on: July 14, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »
Very interesting; thank you, Laurence.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #2474 on: July 14, 2018, 08:43:02 pm »
Itís watering every evening here too and like yourself, Laurence, our strawberry crop has been disappointing (although in our case itís year 1 of 4 having started again last Autumn).
We have copious broad and french beans with the first runners just coming.
Potatoes have done really well this year.
Salad wise, plenty of lettuce, spring onions and beetroot.
Tomatoes and cucumbers just starting to be ready.
Should harvest our gooseberries tomorrow but our rasperries are all Autumn cropping varieties so a bit of a wait for those.
Itís very much a time of plenty at the moment.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything