!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 141910 times)

Offline Rowlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2310 on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:39 pm »
Just enjoying catching up with the excellent videos from the last few days, thanks.  Hope you have good time on the F&WHR, hope you manage to get good seats in the obs.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #2311 on: May 16, 2018, 09:05:25 am »
I hope you have better luck than we did yesterday. We are on holiday in Dorset and drove to Swanage for a ride behind a battle of Britain - lovely engine by the way.
On the return we paid to go in the Pullman obs car so could get photos. Sadly the windows were filthy and sun at just the wrong angle so the pics were nearly all spoiled. It was like an oven in the car and my phone then overheated and shut down so I couldn't use the camera anyway :(

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2312 on: May 16, 2018, 06:02:42 pm »
With any luck I should be able to make a reasonable post today. While we are away, I thought I might have another go y the back story. Baron Tiverton is impatient to get his restaurant up and running. He feels he cannot wait any longer for the result of the chefs competition and has decided to recruit a chef locally. Of course this means that the Poldory brothers will have to repay all the bets they have taken on who will take up the baron's offer.  I will bring you news of the progress about the chef as the story unfolds.

Meanwhile, we went on the Ffestiniog Railway today and had a great time. The scenery was stunning s usual but we didnít go in the observation car berceuse we would have needed Pulman tickets, three of which would have cost an arm and a leg. But it was a terrific trip. The only drawback was that it was really cold in Blaenau. By the time we had completed the town slate trail my fingers a were white with cold. A nice hot bowl of soup soon put that right.

Here's todayís video, Timetable 9a

With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2313 on: May 17, 2018, 09:06:28 pm »
Baron Tiverton has been negotiating with British Railways to have an access point built on the branch line where it crosses his estate so that he can start work on a motive power depot. The MPD will be the centre of a preservation project to ensure that steam trains continue to run on the Aylesbury and Worcester long after BR abandons steam for its normal operations.

The baron hopes that a steam centre will make an excellent focus for visitors in addition to the arboretum that has been established for many years. The planned restaurant is another string to his bow as he hopes to generate sufficient income to maintain the whole estate which is becoming increasingly expensive to keep up. The MPD will become a working visitor center where locomotives and contemporary rolling stock can be maintained to keep the Aylesbury and Worcester going as a working heritage line.

Today, we traveled the Welsh Highland Railway from Porthmadog to Caernarfon. It was wonderful weather for a trip through the mountains of Snowdonia. We were pulled the whole way there and back by a Garrett with a beautiful chime whistle that made it sound like we were behind an A4. The amount of rocking and rolling on those little trains is something to be believed! If our N gauge trains rocked and rolled to that extent, I think they would derail. On the Ffestiniog in particular it was impossible to take the lid off your coffee without slopping it everywhere until the train stopped. The WHR was more sedate most of the time.

Hereís todayís video, Timetable 9b

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2314 on: May 18, 2018, 09:39:47 pm »

Item 480

We had a long day today.  We returned from North Wales, but I had a major job to do in the garden.  While we were away, we heard that our new wrought iron archway and trellising was to be installed tomorrow.  That meant that I have spent the whole time since we returned removing all the old wooden trellising and archway.  But at least I have still got a video to show you of Timetable 10a

I hope to order the remaining Cobalts in first thing in the morning, so I should be able to complete all the engineering work next week.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2315 on: May 19, 2018, 07:48:05 pm »
First thing this morning, I spent quite a long time trying to assemble todayís video.  I had a lot of trouble with music copyright but, eventually, I managed to make it with some Beethoven.  I also ordered the three Cobalts I need from Rails of Sheffield and, later, received confirmation that they had been dispatched.

I had a lot to do in the garden today.  Our wrought iron man arrived late this morning and before he came I had a hedge to cut and started to break up all the old, rotting wooden trellises that I removed yesterday.  The main thing was to ensure that he had enough room to install the new wrought ironwork.  I also had to help him at times because, although the temperature never reached 20C, there was a blazing hot sun all day and the posts for the original trellising had been well and truly concreted into the ground.  Eventually, it was all done and we were able to relax with a cup of tea in the garden.

I did manage to get into the Train Shed in the end.  But, with no Cobalts to install, there wasnít too much to do.  However, I indulged myself in an experiment.  I started by programming Accessory 40 (Point 40) with the address for Accessory 39.  The idea was to see if I could just use a single address to switch both points in the crossover from the branch into the milk loop.  The result was a success, so now I have only to switch Accessory 39 to switch both points in the crossover.  I repeated this for Points 37 and 38 (the crossover from the UP main to the branch), Points 35 and 36 (the crossover from the goods loop to the DOWN main), Points 41 and 42 (the crossover from the milk loop to the branch) and Points 43 and 44 the crossover from the branch to the UP main.  All these crossovers now work from a single operation, so I will be able to modify my operational timetable to suit.

Finally, hereís todayís video, Timetable 10b.

Tomorrow, thereís lots to do in the garden plus we have to visit J Sainsbury because we werenít here in the week.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:14:15 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2316 on: May 19, 2018, 07:57:34 pm »
I've just noticed a typo in the video, 'odoour' instead of 'odour'.  I'll try and correct it tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2317 on: May 19, 2018, 09:17:50 pm »
I've just noticed a typo in the video, 'odoour' instead of 'odour'.  I'll try and correct it tomorrow.

The first of your 'importants' about the pannier is spelt with an 'e' instead of an 'a', Laurence (just to show I do watch and pay attention)

I agree there's definitely something fishy about that 9F :hmmm:

As for your wrought iron man, I've heard of a breadman, milkman and even a Wicker Man. I hope after the work he's not an overwrought iron man :uneasy:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2318 on: May 20, 2018, 06:57:38 am »
As for your wrought iron man, I've heard of a breadman, milkman and even a Wicker Man. I hope after the work he's not an overwrought iron man :uneasy:
I'm afraid he was overwrought at the end.  Not only did he suffer from the Sun, but just as he was finisheing his wife phoned to say she had fallen down the stairs and spained her ankle.  I sent him on his way with a brown envelope!
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2319 on: May 20, 2018, 08:17:25 am »
The first of your 'importants' about the pannier is spelt with an 'e' instead of an 'a', Laurence (just to show I do watch and pay attention)
I've now uploded the corrected version including the 'important' correction.  I've replaced the link in the original post, but here it is again, just in case.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2320 on: May 20, 2018, 09:28:56 pm »
Today was a very busy day.  I had to complete my weekly jobs, which are normally done on a Friday but had to be deferred because of our mini break.  Then it was off to J Sainsbury, again deferred because of the mini break.  I sometimes wonder if itís worth it.  After that, it was wood chopping.  All the trellises that were removed needed chopping into kindling for next Winter.  In the end, I filled an 80L dustbin three times over, each filling being deposited into a Ďcoffiní.  The coffins are actually plastic boxes, about 1000mm X 500mm X 500 mm.  One coffin takes three dustbin fulls.  Two coffins full is more than enough for a Winter.  That pretty well took me all day.  The work was made more complicated by the fact that the trellises were held together by very large staples, which had to be hammered flat with a 4lb hammer.

In the end, I did manage half an hour in the Train Shed.  I have included two pictures of the crossovers that I paired up yesterday.

On the left, in the distance, is the crossover from the branch into the milk loop.  Nearer to the camera, but still on the left, is the crossover from the UP main to the branch.  On the right is the crossover from the goods loop to the DOWN main.  The second picture is of the crossovers at the other end of the station.

On the left is the crossover from the milk loop to the branch and on the right is the crossover from the branch to the UP main.  While I was there, I coupled up the points at the branch run-arounds at Norton and Shipton.  In this case, for Norton, I programmed Point 16 to Accessory 8 so that it would switch as I switched from one side of the run-around to the other.  For Shipton, I programmed Point 24 to Accessory 32.  In both cases, I had to reverse the switching polarity of the reprogrammed points because they worked in opposite directions to the access points.

My next challenge is to investigate whether of not I can reinstate the route settings that I had originally designed for the layout.  I still have the routes in my timetable spreadsheet, but I had to abandon them because I could not reliably switch more than two Seeps on any one route.  It will be interesting to see if the Cobalts will allow me to use the routes again.  Using routes will greatly simplify switching for timetable operations.

Hereís todayís video, Timetable 11a.

Tomorrow, my new Cobalts may arrive from Rails of Sheffield, in which case I will be able to complete all the point conversions.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2321 on: May 21, 2018, 06:47:14 pm »
First thing this morning, I began removing the Hex Frog Juicers that I had installed to overcome problems associated with the change over switches of the Seep point solenoids.  The problem is caused by the very small throw of N gauge points and the fact that the switch is just a simple slider on a printed track.  No matter how accurately I tried to centre the solenoids, there were occasional problems with the switches.  Sometimes they didnít change over fully and at others they caused a short circuit between the two sides of the DCC bus.  So the Hex Frog Juicers were a real boon.  However, now I am fitting Cobalts, which have a break before make switch, switching the frog from one side of the DCC bus to the other, I no longer require the Hex Frog Juicers.  So far, I have removed five of the nine Hex Frog Juicers.  One has already found a new home and the other four are now looking for new homes. 

Once I have finished the current round of engineering work, I will be able to remove the remaining four and they also will be looking for new homes.
Then it was off to play table tennis.  Even earlier, before going to the Train Shed, I had begun work on todayís video.  My intention when we returned was to finish clearing up from yesterday and then cut the grass.  However, my plans were thwarted because we had a message that some U3A-related work needed doing, which meant going out again first thing in the afternoon.  However, I did manage the clearing up and then continued compiling the video.  There was really good news later, when the three remaining Cobalts arrived from Rails of Sheffield.  I must say that they dispatch things straight away and send them out by first class post, so they arrive very soon after ordering.

Eventually, I got around to cutting the grass.  By the time I had finished, my back muscles were all a bit sore, after the exertions of the weekend.  So I only had a rapid visit to the Train Shed to take the two pictures above.  To finish off, hereís todayís video, Timetable 11b.

Tomorrow, I should be able to install some of the Cobalts.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2322 on: May 22, 2018, 07:57:37 pm »
Before I went down to the Train Shed this morning I had a chance to make inroads into todayís video. I managed to assemble all the various sequences and make the necessary cuts before adding the music and inserting the transitions. By the time I was ready to go to the Train Shed, I had nearly completed all the captions.  Iím obviously improving with practise.  Iím also improving at using Dropbox with my mobile phone.  I just typed the first bit above while sitting in the gym coffee shop.

When I arrived in the Train Shed, I began by preparing the first Cobalt for installation.  Then I had to remove the existing Seep.  While I was under the boards, I decided to remove all three remaining Seeps.  After that I was able to install and test Point 33 successfully.  Then I reset the address of Point 34 to Accessory 33 so that the pair would act as a single cross-over.  The really good thing about Cobalt Digital IP point motors is that, once the Cobalt has been set up, it is simple to reprogram the address without doing anything else.

After that it was off to the gym for a swim and coffee.  When we returned, I had to tend to the espaliers and then, after a bite to eat, we had to go out for yet more U3A chores (Iíll be glad when I see the back of U3A).  After that, there were some more gardening jobs before I got back to the Train shed again.  Then I started to install the next Cobalt, but it wasnít straightforward.  When I installed the Cobalt for Point 33, I was forced to install it as I did because of droppers and baseboard crossmembers.  But I couldnít install the Cobalt for Point 45 (for the bay platform) because there wasnít room one with it facing one way, but the other way was obstructed by a pair of DCC droppers.  I first tried using a different fulcrum with the operating rod bent, but that didnít work.  In the end, I plumped for squashing the existing dropper wires, which were 16/02 wires, and installed the Cobalt successfully.

That left me with Point 46 in the goods yard.  This was extremely difficult because I needed longer arms.  In the end, after a lot of fiddling, I managed to locate it and, finally, install it. 

After that, I removed the remaining two Hex Forg Juicers oh the station boards, which means I now have six to find homes for.

The last two Frog Juicers are on the UP-Loop boards, which I wonít be able to access until I have put everything back under the station boards.  Hereís todayís video, Timetable 11c

Tomorrow, I will concentrate on simplifying the wiring under the station boards.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2323 on: May 22, 2018, 07:59:15 pm »
Before I went down to the Train Shed this morning I had a chance to make inroads into todayís video. I managed to assemble all the various sequences and make the necessary cuts before adding the music and inserting the transitions. By the time I was ready to go to the Train Shed, I had nearly completed all the captions.  Iím obviously improving with practise.  Iím also improving at using Dropbox with my mobile phone.  I just typed the first bit above while sitting in the gym coffee shop.

When I arrived in the Train Shed, I began by preparing the first Cobalt for installation.  Then I had to remove the existing Seep.  While I was under the boards, I decided to remove all three remaining Seeps.  After that I was able to install and test Point 33 successfully.  Then I reset the address of Point 34 to Accessory 33 so that the pair would act as a single cross-over.  The really good thing about Cobalt Digital IP point motors is that, once the Cobalt has been set up, it is simple to reprogram the address without doing anything else.

After that it was off to the gym for a swim and coffee.  When we returned, I had to tend to the espaliers and then, after a bite to eat, we had to go out for yet more U3A chores (Iíll be glad when I see the back of U3A).  After that, there were some more gardening jobs before I got back to the Train shed again.  Then I started to install the next Cobalt, but it wasnít straightforward.  When I installed the Cobalt for Point 33, I was forced to install it as I did because of droppers and baseboard crossmembers.  But I couldnít install the Cobalt for Point 45 (for the bay platform) because there wasnít room one with it facing one way, but the other way was obstructed by a pair of DCC droppers.  I first tried using a different fulcrum with the operating rod bent, but that didnít work.  In the end, I plumped for squashing the existing dropper wires, which were 16/02 wires, and installed the Cobalt successfully.

That left me with Point 46 in the goods yard.  This was extremely difficult because I needed longer arms.  In the end, after a lot of fiddling, I managed to locate it and, finally, install it. 

After that, I removed the remaining two Hex Forg Juicers oh the station boards, which means I now have six to find homes for.

The last two Frog Juicers are on the UP-Loop boards, which I wonít be able to access until I have put everything back under the station boards.  Hereís todayís video, Timetable 11c

Tomorrow, I will concentrate on simplifying the wiring under the station boards.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #2324 on: May 22, 2018, 09:16:13 pm »
At the risk of repeating your self Laurence ( ;) )
"I had nearly completed all the captions.  Iím obviously improving with practice.  Iím also improving at using Dropbox with my mobile phone.  I just typed the first bit above while sitting in the gym coffee shop."
Ok, you're going to have to provide a tutorial for this - coz I haven't got a clue how to do that!

Cheers  :beers:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here