!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 128177 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #2220 on: April 20, 2018, 12:12:54 am »
Hey Mick, you have  won more than me on that postcode lottery, I give up on that  ages ago. It annoys me how many adverts  they have  on tv they must  spend a small fortune on  them,,,,,,,,don't get me going on  that....

Good  point on the controller  Train Waiting, I have  wondered that  too,   I nearly bought  one of those too,  glad   I got my powercab. The trouble is they all seem  to have different connectors so its  not that easy to just plug in.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:15:27 am by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2221 on: April 20, 2018, 06:49:42 am »
I do enjoy your detailed updates Laurence, so please keep them coming.  :thumbsup:

I'm inclined to agree with Chris re droppers.

When I started out some of the best advice I had was to add droppers to every length of track. Mine are soldered to the underside of the track - never had a dry joint failure.

Being strictly DC, that advice did seem to add plenty of wires and switches for isolated sections but running has not ever been a problem other than if I'd made a mess of transposing a connection or two. Bad tempered points can be a pain but I suspect we all suffer from those occasionally.

I clean the track once every two weeks or so, even if it doesn't need it - bit like me and the shower!   :)

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2222 on: April 20, 2018, 06:55:33 am »
Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

I think that in this case, after all the engineering works, dirty track is a problem.  There was one section of track where 6417 just wouldn't run.  A quick clean with the Peco track rubber sent it on its way.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2223 on: April 20, 2018, 02:40:18 pm »
I really wouldn't discount DCC as Laurence's continual problems are out of the ordinary and suggests something somewhere is not right.  DCC is really not that difficult but the benefits and joys are enormous, ok I'm biased as Claywell is DCC but I woudln't be able to do all I do without the benefit of DCC.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2224 on: April 20, 2018, 09:26:10 pm »
Well, Iíve said it before and, no doubt, I will say it again.  A day is a long time in railway modelling.  I canít say that everything ran perfectly, but it was a very good running session this morning.  I had to do my usual Friday chores first, but then I went down to the Train Shed.  9744 ran extremely well.  Out of eight runs, it required a slight nudge to start from Platform 4 on three occasions and there was a little roughness on the DOWN leg a couple of times.  But, otherwise, it ran perfectly.  80119 ran well, apart from a slight hiccup on its first run.  I was so encouraged that I reset 6417ís acceleration back to normal and it ran perfectly.  I overreached myself when I tried to run it bunker first.  It just sits there and makes a buzzing sound, which I suspect is a fault with the decoder.  Unfortunately, it is a special, right-angled decoder and Iím not sure if anyone else, other that Bachmann make one.

I was so pleased with the dayís running that I ventured back later on in the afternoon, after I had finished (at last) cutting the grass, to make a video.  The grass cutting was a real marathon because I have run out of Strimmer line and was resigned to winding by hand a reduced thickness cord, with insufficient tension.  The line kept advancing and cutting and the fragments made lots of holes in my legs.

The video may not have been a good idea.  Everything ran perfectly, apart from 80119, which began well enough, but I had to retake its first run because of a filming error.  At that point, it refused to run with the acceleration function set and I had to reset it to zero and crank up the speed by hand.  The only discernible difference between this morningís run and both yesterdayís and todayís afternoon runs was that, this morning the temperature in the Train Shed was about 18C, whereas, for the two afternoon sessions, it was about 28C.  Perhaps 80119 doesnít like the higher temperatures.  It displayed the classic dirty track patch syndrome.  It would just stop in the middle of a one-yard length of track and would continue to repeat the stop at the same spot, but would run on the rest of the track section.  Anyhway, hereís the video.

However, the day was a much better one.  I am convinced that DCC is the way forward.  One thing I did today was to run each train singly, only starting the next one when I had started the deceleration for the previous one.  This is much better from a train watching perspective when operating the controls, although an observer might like to see them all running at the same time.  As time goes by, I will reinforce my track connections, but the Gaugemaster controller may be a candidate for replacement.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2225 on: April 21, 2018, 06:51:45 am »
Lovely to see the steamers in action.

If I'd had the funds and just as important, the knowledge, when I restarted my N Gauge experience a few years back I would have opted for DCC. Too many locos under the bridge to think of it now but I still have a great deal of enjoyment out of the hobby.

Good to hear the running problems are being resolved.

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2226 on: April 21, 2018, 07:45:35 am »
Good to hear the running problems are being resolved.

Dave G
I think resolved is the wrong word.  Abated is probably more appropriate.  It's odd that one or two locos are affected by certain patches of track and yet most are not.  I think it's going to be a piece by piece approach, cleaning, adding more droppers or, at least links.  It will also be interesting to see how the new running strategy (one at a time) works.  One of the benefits of it is tht it's much less likely to make mistakes and try to do things with the wrong loco.  KBO.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2227 on: April 21, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »
I had a good, if short, session in the Train Shed this morning.  My observations about temperature yesterday led me to reinstate the acceleration function for 80119 and I wasnít disappointed.  It needed a bit of encouragement to start and had a couple of hiccups but, other wise it ran well on its only run of the morning.  After that, we walked into Hessle as usual.  There was quite a lot of Sun, but there was a chilly easterly breeze.  After the Hot weather of the previous couple of days, I have changed into Summer mode, shorts, sandals and short sleeved shirts.  But I was glad of a jacket on the way into town.  On the way back it was much more pleasant, with the breeze behind us and plenty of Sun.  In fact we had a lot of blue sky and Sun but, with the breeze coming off the North Sea, the air temperature never reached 17C.

After our outing, I soldiered on with the trellises.  I made up the last two in the garage, which was a little chilly out of the Sun, but then worked on fixing the remaining three front ones to the wall in the blazing Sun, so I found it quite warm work.  By the time it was time for an afternoon cup of tea, I had finished all the front ones and placed in position all the ones in the rose garden, at the rear of the house.  After a cup of tea, I had intended to return to the Train Shed, but we had unannounced visitors which kept me away for about an hour and a half. 

Eventually, I did make it down to the Train Shed for a brief session.  9744 had a sudden relapse entering Platform 4 at the UP end and needed several attempts to get it started again.  However, after that it was as good as gold again.  During that sub-cycle, Baron Tivertonís favourite loco, Tiverton Castle, came thundering through the station with a DOWN express.  On the left you can see 9744, after it had recovered from its problem, while across the island platform is the back of a local passenger, headed by 46443. 

The poor depth of focus is because I used a zoom setting because it was difficult to get close enough to take a picture without it.

The success with reinstating the acceleration for 80119 emboldened me to do the same with 64960, again with great success.  The next run with 80119 involved another couple of hiccups in the loops but, otherwise, it ran well.  Forthampton Grange also ran well today.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2228 on: April 21, 2018, 09:14:02 pm »
Love the capital 'S' for sun :)
We see so little of it here in Lankyshire I might use that too if you don't mind.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2229 on: April 22, 2018, 08:27:06 pm »
First thing this morning, I managed a brief session in the Train Shed and ran the two outstanding sub-cycles from yesterday.  All the locos ran well, including 6417 and 9744.  Then it was off for our Sunday morning walk along the river in beautiful sunshine.  The breeze was a little chilly on the way out, but we got quite warm on the return.  After Coffee, I began work erecting the trellises in the rose garden.  I had just finished the second one when one of the plugs holding the first one onto the wall came adrift because of loose mortar.  In the afternoon, I re-fixed the first one, but then we had a little rain.  I didnít fancy working outside in the wet with electrical tools, so I put them in the greenhouse in the dry and retired to the Train Shed until it stopped. 

Things went well until I had problems with 45206, hauling the milk train.  It kept stopping at the first point entering the DOWN loops (Point 28) and causing a short circuit.  I investigated, thinking it was the bogie, but it appeared to by the front driver.  Earlier, I had noticed that the section of track connected to the point entrance was not secured to the baseboard.  This must have come loose when I reconnected the main lines after installing the Cobalts on the DOWN loops boards.  Looking at it carefully, I observed that there was probably too much of a curve approaching the point so that the front driver may have been slewed against the free point blade. 

I have made a note to replace this with a slightly longer section when I clean the DOWN loops.  After that, the rain stopped and the Sun came out again, so I returned to the rose garden and fixed the remaining trellis.  Then I returned to the Train Shed and everything continued with little problem (apart from idiot operator problems).  I made a short video of 3846 passing through the station on the UP line.

After a cup of tea, I returned for a final session to clear everything up ready for track cleaning.  But this time, 80119 played up rather badly and 9744 had a couple of silly half-hours.  I noticed that the temperature had risen above 24C and so I did nothing to change the acceleration, hoping that, if itís a bit cooler tomorrow, it will all have gone away again.

Tomorrow is the start of track cleaning and remedial maintenance work.  After I am happy with that, Iíll start thinking about installing Cobalts on the station boards.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2230 on: April 23, 2018, 08:06:42 pm »
Today has been a day for cleaning and maintenance.  First thing, I started by cleaning the tracks on the DOWN leg board.  Then I lifted the piece of suspect track leading to Point 28, at the throat of the DOWN loops. 

After that, it was off to table tennis.  Later, I had some chores to perform and then, in the afternoon, I moved the contents of compost Bin 1 to Bin 2, ready to start refilling Bin1 with new material.  By the time Bin 1 is full again, Bin 2 will have reduced in volume and I will be able to turn it over on top of the contents of Bin 3, enabling me to move the contents from Bin 1 into Bin 2 again.  After that, I trimmed the Wisteria at the back of the house and removed the ivy that was encroaching over the wall above our thornless blackberry.

After that I was able to repair to the train shed and fit a new section of track on the approach to Point 28.  I subsequently tested it with 45206 hauling the milk train.

There was no problem and the test ran very smoothly.  After a cup of tea, I finished cleaning the rest of the visible tracks, the station boards and the UP leg board.  At some stage, I will need to undertake some engineering work to replace the very short section of track, after Point 44, that repeatedly gives 80119 a hiccup.  The main consideration is that, between the short section and the next one, there are power feed joiners, so I will need to decide how I am going to replace them.  Also, it will mean pulling up a lot of ballasted track.

Once all the visible tracks were cleaned, I moved all the trains out of the UP loops, either into the station or into the DOWN loops.  80119, needed some encouragement to get it started in UP Loop 5, but was fine thereafter and everything else worked fine until I came to move 64960 with the local goods.  It really didnít want to know and I had to resort to setting the acceleration back to zero, after which it was fine.  Hereís a picture of all the trains in the station.

Tomorrow, I will clean the UP loops and carry out any small engineering adjustments that might be required.  Then it will be repopulating the UP loops and clearing the DOWN loops, ready for cleaning and some already identified engineering adjustments on Loop 16.  After that, I will move everything back to its starting position ready for the next timetable cycle.  Eventually, I hope I will be able to pluck up courage to start installing the Cobalts on the station boards.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2231 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44:45 pm »
First thing this morning, I began by cleaning all the UP loops.  Then I began trying out linking methods between track sections, first on the reverse side of one I made some days ago on the branch Norton loops.

Then I had a go at making one on Loop 1.

However, I wasnít very impressed with the result.  Of, course, in the hidden loops, the appearance wonít matter, but I really need to do something on these lines.  If I were to contemplate adding a dropper to every section of track on the layout, I would need about 180 pairs of droppers, which I consider rather too many.

After the early morning session, it was off to the gym.  This morning. I decided to have another swim, so I ploughed up and down the 25m pool before a quick recuperation in the spa pool.  After the gym, we went to J Sainsbury for our usual restocking and returned home in time for something to eat.  In the afternoon it was raining so I took some of our redundant blinds to the reclamation shop before setting about refitting the blind in the shower room.  That took quite a long time because I had to re-fix the screws into the UPVC frame.  Because the screw holes were very close to the top corners, I couldnít get any purchase on the screwdriver.  Also, there was no room to get a drill into the frame so close to the tiled edge.  In the end, I raided my Train Shed craft knife box and used a sharp point to make a start and then screwed in a 3.5-inch decking screw, to establish a thread for each screw.  By the time I had finished, I needed a cup of tea.

After a cup of tea, I returned to the train shed.  First, I tried an alternative track linking technique.  I removed the original links, tinned the rails between the top running surface and the flat bottom (having first cut back the plastic substrate) and then applied a straight piece of 22 SWG tinned copper wire.  I think this looks much better.

Hereís another picture, side-on.

I decided that was enough experimentation for one day and began to move the trains back into the UP loops.  Everything ran smoothly until 45206 reached the station with the milk train.  I must have moved the island platform slightly during the cleaning of the station boards and 45206 has valve gear that is slightly wider that other locos.  The left-hand cylinder hit the platform ramp and the train stopped.  After I readjusted the platform and sent 45206 on its way, I noticed that the drivers were not rotating (it has tender drive).  So I lifted it and inspected the valve gear.  Try as I might, I couldnít find the reason for the problem, but the drivers would only rotate with some pressure applied, otherwise they just skidded along.  I used my Optivisor and tried several adjustments with fine tweezers, but all to no avail.  When I put it back on the track, it would run well in reverse, but not forward.  In the end, I gave it a real forward run by hand, under sufficient pressure to ensure the wheels revolved.  After that, it ran, first with the wheels revolving intermittently, then normally again.  But that took up a lot of time.  So I never quite managed to finish clearing the DOWN loops.

Tomorrow, I need to finish clearing the DOWN loops and then clean them.  I have at least one engineering task to perform there and I may have another go at linking track sections.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2232 on: April 24, 2018, 09:21:49 pm »
A neat solution. I was going to suggest cutting the cork away and running the wire along the base board. The wire can be covered later with ballast.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2233 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:44 pm »
This morning, the early session began by clearing all the remaining trains from the DWON loops.  Then I did some adjustments to a couple of joints in Loop 16.  When I had finished, I thought I would test the result, forgetting that all the lines in the station were blocked.  First, I used my Rule 55 sheet to set all the required points.  Then I started 3846 with its train of empties (which is the only train to that normally uses Loop 16) but soon realised that I would need to move Royal Ulster Rifleman from Platform 2 and run it through Loop16.  Then, of course, I had to move 92006 with the fish train from Platform 3 and so started a merry-go-round.  It did have the advantage that the adjustment was tested by three different locos, but I then had a problem in the UP loops with loop 4, because there was a passenger train in both Loops 3 and 5.  Loop 4 was originally designated a freight loop because there is insufficient space for bogie coaches to negotiate the loop when there is a passenger train in the neighbouring loops.  This meant the Royal Ulster Riflemanís coaches caught the side of one of the coaches of 80119.  I had to lift that coach to allow Royal Ulster Rifleman through and then re-rail it again afterwards. 

Once the test had finished and all the trains were back in their original positions, I set all the points back to their original settings and closed the Rule 55 sheet.  Then I started cleaning.  First, I cleaned the seven-point complex at the entrance to the loops and then the seven point-complex at the exit.  By then, it was time to go to the gym, so the rest of the cleaning was deferred until later.

After the gym, we had to make a social call and then, after something to eat, I had to deal with a lot of U3A material that had been posted through the letterbox.  Fortunately, the small shower we had in the early afternoon had passed by then and I did some tidying up of the espalier bed, tying off some horizontals and cutting a lot of dead wood from the tayberry.  After a cup of tea, I managed another session in the Train Shed.

I cleaned all the DOWN loops between the point complexes and also the Shipton branch loops.  Then it was time to move everything back to their starting positions.  The whole process ran really well, apart from 64960, which sporadically stopped and restarted.  I donít think this can be a track issue because (a) I have just cleaned all the track and (b) when it stopped, it sat there for about a second and then restarted all on its own.  Very strange! 

Then there was 45206.  Its drivers ran well most of the time but, particularly during the first part of its run, they occasionally jammed so that the loco slid along the tracks for a while.  However, when it met a change is resistance, such as at a point frog, the wheels would start to revolve normally again.  For the last half of its run, everything was fine.  Again, very strange!  Hereís a picture of all the trains back in the DOWN loops.

Tomorrow, I have to reset all the points back to their starting positions and then I can run a few trains.  I may concentrate on building a library of train operation videos, so that I can make up timetable videos to order, so to speak.  In the meantime, I need to think about replacing the point motors on the station boards.  There is one engineering problem, plus I would like to relocate some of the points to improve the crossovers.  They are fine for the locos that normally use them but, during track cleaning operations, some of the other locos experience difficulties with the curves on the crossovers between the UP main and the branch.  And, of course, I have neglected scenic work for quite a while, so I need to get started on that again.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2234 on: April 26, 2018, 08:38:33 pm »
Today was haircut day and I had an earlier than usual appointment, so the first session in the Train Shed was a short one.  After all the engineering and cleaning of the last few days, I decided on some leisurely runs.  I ran Timetable 1a out and back before I had to go out.  80119 was reluctant to start first thing, but after that it ran perfectly.  Cranmore Hall gave me a bit of a right, jumping off the track soon after it had entered UP Loop 5.

I walked into Hessle in beautifully bright sunshine, although the wind was quite keen.  Unfortunately, when I emerged from my haircut, a big black cloud had gathered overhead and it spat at me now and then, but not enough to make me wet.  After coffee, I did quite a bit of weeding of the raised beds, some of which were becoming noticeably weed infested.  Then, as is traditional on haircut day, we went out to lunch, which was a nice break.

I have resigned myself to some major work on the station boards.  First, there is the short section of track under the London Road Bridge which sometimes causes 80119 to stall and, also, I think the crossovers from the UP main to the branch and back need straightening, to avoid unwanted derailments.  That will mean ripping up a lot of ballasting, so is quite a major undertaking.  Three points at each end of the station will have to be moved and the island platform shortened to its original design length.  During this work, I will fit the Cobalts to the points.  However, I want to do some running before I embark on more engineering work, so hereís the plan.

I will make a series of library videos so that I can compile every timetable run from the library.  I began today and shot all the sequences from sub-cycles 1a and 1b.  During the shooting, Cranmore Hall again came to grief in UP Loop 5, so I think I need to adjust the track to increase the radius of the curve immediately following Point 9, that splits off Tracks 5 and 6. 

After a cup of tea, I did some more gardening, but then came in to make the first video, New Timetable 1a from the library shots.  Here it is

Once I have finished all the library shoots, I will be able to get on with the engineering work, while making up videos from the library shots, which means I will have something to show while the layout is out of action yet again.  It will probably take a couple of weeks to shoot all the sequences so, at least, I will have some train therapy for a while before I undertake the engineering work.  I hope to be able to put together the next video, New timetable 1b.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:31:12 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104%