!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 135635 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1800 on: December 24, 2017, 03:35:10 pm »
  Then it had a recurrence of the London Road bridge stalls

I had that last Christmas but luckily Sennakot sorted it out. Hope I don't get it this year :worried:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1801 on: December 25, 2017, 08:12:55 am »
‘Twas the night before Christmas
The Trains were asleep;
The Train Shed was silent,
Not even a ‘Peep’.
But then I heard hissing,
It sounded like steam
And I saw Santa’s Special –
It wasn’t a dream!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1802 on: December 25, 2017, 09:44:53 pm »
Up until the mid-1950s, trains ran on Christmas Day and Boxing Day using the Sunday timetable.  By 1959, the year in which Marton Hinmarche is set, this had been reduced to what was known as a reduced Sunday service.  In keeping with that practice, I went to the Train Shed first thing and ran two sub-cycles of the Operational Timetable.  I am pleased to report that it all went well.  9744 required a couple of starting prods, as did 6837 ‘Forthampton Grange’.  But Forthampton Grange was much smoother this morning after its treatment with Track Magic yesterday.  The same can be said of 80119.  So it was a quiet, but smooth-running Christmas Day.  Boxing Day may be a little busier, with a normal Sunday service but, hopefully, equally smooth running.

I received one or two railway-related presents today and I hope to be able to show some photographs in my next posting.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1803 on: December 26, 2017, 01:39:10 pm »
We had a normal Boxing Day service in the Train Shed today.  Everything went very well.  So well, in fact, that I was able to make a completely unedited video of Sub-cycle 7a.  There was no human intervention other than the operation of the controller and there are no cuts to the video.  It all happened exactly as you see it.

I did have one or two issues because, on two occasions, points into the storage loops were wrongly set, resulting in rear end collisions because I had sent a train into the wrong loop.  The problem may have emanated from my work on Point 26 which, you may remember, had a point blade disconnect from the tie bar.  I decided that a drop of Uhu might discourage further disconnections, but the blade disconnected during my efforts.  Eventually, I managed to sort it out, but I know there was a short circuit during my work because, when I returned to the controller, there was another loco added to the recall list, which only happens when there is a short circuit. 

I had failed to notice that the two points in question were wrongly set, even though they had been correctly set earlier.  The result was a couple of rather embarrassing reverses and re-setting of the points.  The only other incident of note was that the fish train managed to divide on its was into the DOWN loops.  There had been a couple of nudges required during the eight sub-cycles run this morning, but nothing of any great significance.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 08:55:16 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline dats475

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1804 on: December 26, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »
Hi Laurence

I just want to say that I'm enjoying your update very much.
Thank you very much for your inspirational work!
Glad to see your modelling efforts paid off on timetable operations.

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1805 on: December 27, 2017, 08:27:07 pm »
First thing this morning, I managed a quick run of the next sub-cycle.  I really must make a start on the scenery now, so I will think about the way forward.  In the meantime, I need to finish the tunnels that I have constructed. 

I didn’t get too long in the Train Shed this afternoon, but I started with a few sub-cycles.  The temperature was down to 9.1C, so I have reinstated the daytime heating periods.  The forecast is for very cold weather for a few days, so the heating regime will stay until it becomes a little milder.  But I did manage to run three more sub-cycles to keep the trains moving.  I think it’s important to keep them moving because I don’t want them to get ‘rusty’ so to speak.  Everything ran perfectly and 9744 is now running really well.  It is making a nice smooth singing noise again in the forwards direction, although a lot quieter than it used to be and, when running banker first, is very quiet indeed.

To work on the tunnels, I needed a work surface.  We have a collapsible hardwood table that we have had since two house moves ago, which was bought as a patio table, but was actually used in the conservatory.  Last Summer, we used it in the garden as a barbeque table and it’s been in what we call the bike shed waiting for next year.  But I got it out for Christmas as a games table and it was due to go back in the bike shed.  Now, I have snaffled it as a work table for the Train Shed, because it folds up for storage.  I put an old plastic table cloth on it and here it is with the first tunnel structure ready for plastering.

Now I have found the Shaper Sheet plaster and the little bowls that Woodland Scenics supply for mixing the plaster.  Having watched their video, I decided that I would buy their bits, as that seems to make it easy.  So here is everything ready to go tomorrow.

I have bought some of their mixed grass cover to add after colouring the soil.  I think I will be able to get away with adding some ballast magic to the grass mix and use that to fix it to the hillside.  Let’s see what tomorrow brings.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1806 on: December 28, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »
I managed a short session this morning, running three sub-cycles.  Everything ran really well, apart from Dicheat Manor requiring a nudge to get it started from UP Loop 6.  After that we had to go out.  We had a really nice winter walk in the park.  In the afternoon, I fitted the long-awaited GU10 light fitting in the hall, so that Celia can work in a better light.  Before we moved here, we had always had a reasonably large office with a desk each.  However, when we moved here the office was tiny.  I have my desk in it and Celia had to do a Harry Potter with a desk under the stairs (fortunately there is no cupboard under the stairs).  There has been a long-life lamp in the light fitting which takes an age to warm up.  But now the GU10 halogen lamps give a much better light instantly.

Later, I went back to the Train Shed and ran the next three sub-cycles.  Running this afternoon was tortuous.  9744 behaved well, apart from a rather big stall and reluctance to run on the up-leg board.  80119 was also pretty good, but stalled briefly at the points exiting the DOWN loops.  Forthampton Grange was very jerky and required quite a bit of manual intervention.  In the end I lifted it again and applied more Track Magic to its pick-ups, which seemed to lead to a slight improvement.  Then 6417 played up quite a bit and Ditcheat Manor required more than one starting nudge.  The temperature was below 10C when I went into the Train Shed this afternoon, so that may have been a contributory factor, but everything was much better during the morning operating session.

After that, I mixed the Shaper Sheet plaster and applied it to the UP tunnels.

Here’s another shot from a lower angle, which shows the contours a little better.

It needs to stand for twenty-four hours now for the shell to harden.  Tomorrow, I will have a go at the DOWN tunnels.  Once both tunnels are plastered, I will see if I can colour them and apply the grass.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #1807 on: December 28, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »
A bit late for the Up tunnels but have you considered adding some brown soil coloured paint into the plaster mix? Just a thought.

They are certainly taking shape though. (Excuse the pun).

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #1808 on: December 28, 2017, 10:30:25 pm »
I fitted the long-awaited GU10 light fitting
hope yer not expecting a long lamp life unless its a led lamp,if you need a small fitting better to fit a tranny and use low voltage  lamps

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1809 on: December 29, 2017, 07:53:40 am »
I fitted the long-awaited GU10 light fitting
hope yer not expecting a long lamp life unless its a led lamp,if you need a small fitting better to fit a tranny and use low voltage  lamps
The modern ones aren't a problem.  I have lots of them and they give good service.  As I run out of them I will replace them with LEDs.  Funnily enough I also have low voltage ones and several of the transformers have given up the ghost, so I am going to have to replace them all with LEDs.

Back on topic

A bit late for the Up tunnels but have you considered adding some brown soil coloured paint into the plaster mix? Just a thought.

They are certainly taking shape though. (Excuse the pun).
I''ll be adding various mixed base colours later before the grass goes on.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1810 on: December 29, 2017, 07:58:42 am »
The tunnels are looking good, Laurence.

Neat idea to add a colour wash to the base material if you can. Looking forward to seeing them in place and in 'living colour'.

I have LED GU10's in the railway room. They run a lot cooler and cheaper than halogen versions and available as warm white, daylight or bright white.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1811 on: December 29, 2017, 05:43:01 pm »
I managed quite a bit of time in the Train Shed today.  Friday is domestic duties, which includes carrying out the vehicle checks, backing up files, cleaning machine filters, and many other tedious things that have to be done.  After the vehicle checks, I managed to run several sub-cycles, mostly completed without a problem, but 6417 is playing up again and Forthampton Grange was becoming a real problem.  However, once I had completed the whole of the last complete cycle, I returned to the tunnels and plastered the DOWN tunnels structure.

While that was going on, I returned the UP tunnels structure to its proper place, complete with plaster.

The next job will be to colour them, followed by adding the grass.

After coffee, I returned to the domestic chores and managed to finish them before it was time to eat, so managed to start on another round of running.  6417 wasn’t too bad in the forwards direction but, later, it proved to be a real problem running bunker first.  But the big issue was 6837, Forthampton Grange.  It had reached the stage where it would not run at all without turning the acceleration time to zero, so that it would keep going without having to accelerate from zero when it lost contact with the DCC supply.  Yesterday, I picked up a can of Halfords contact cleaner as another string to my bow.  When I got it home, I found that I already had a can of Radiospares contact cleaner that I purchased over a year ago, but had forgotten about.  But I have tried the Halfords brand at a few places on the track to see if the trains would spread it.  6837 had become almost un-runnable, so I lifted it and applied a squire of contact cleaner to its underside, but to no effect.  By then it was time for something to eat.

After a lot of tail chasing with 80119, I suspected that one or both of the connecting wires between the cab and the tender of 6837 were severed.  And indeed, that proved to be the case.  One was severed, so only the tender pickups were working on that side.  I gave the tender wheels a thorough clean, which led to a slight improvement, but I will have to order some connecting wires from DCC Supplies.

I soldiered on, but 6417 really did have problems on some parts of the branch when running bunker first.  But in the end, I managed to reach a sub-cycle where I could make a video of operations in the station, featuring 61664, ‘Liverpool’.

If I get any time tomorrow, I will try to make a start on adding earth colours to the tunnel structures.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1812 on: December 30, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
Thanks for the updates and videos, Laurence. I do hope that you'll be able to solve the running problems, soon. I look forward to seeing the tunnel scenic work develop.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1813 on: December 30, 2017, 07:47:34 pm »
First thing this morning, I managed the last three sub-cycles of the first full cycle, all of which ran successfully.  I then added the first colour wash of raw umber to the UP-tunnel structure, before we went off to the butcher’s as usual.

Then I managed to run the first six sub-cycles sub-cycles in the second full cycle.  The good news is that Forthampton Grange ran perfectly normally again, so much so that I reinstated the acceleration and it still ran perfectly well.  The bad news is that 6417 is up to its old tricks again.  It’s OK on the station boards, but plays up, particularly when running bunker first in the loops and along the boards linking the loops with the station.  After that I managed to apply the second colour wash of burnt umber.

While running the sub-cycles, I managed to make s composite video, put together from all the different runs in sub-cycle 6b.

Finally, I applied the third colour wash of yellow ochre.  I will be able to show a picture tomorrow, when it has dried.  Then I will apply a dilute black wash, before adding the grass.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1814 on: December 31, 2017, 03:46:31 am »
Fabulous video. I see a Hornby mug in the background. I had the exact same mug as a Christmas present a few years ago. Mine is a mere ornament on a shelf.At least yours sees active service!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here