!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 148605 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1785 on: December 20, 2017, 09:14:47 am »
Thank you, Laurence, and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you both. Perhaps you need to use one of those mini vacuum cleaners all along the track? I look forward to the next instalment.
Thank you Chris. A Merry Christmas to you too and, indeed, all my readers, although I hope to make a few more posts yet before the break.  I hope that Michaelmas is now safely negotiated (if that's what it's called in Prague).  With regard to the track, I have a Dustbuster that works well, but I think the problem with sawing is some sort of invisible, sticky film from the plywood adhesive.  However, I am going to try Track Magic, which is something I have not tried before.  I should also be able to clean the pickup surfaces of the wheels as well.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1786 on: December 20, 2017, 07:02:14 pm »
Today’s task was to complete all the timetabled runs so that I can concentrate on the DOWN tunnels.  First thing, I managed to complete the last four of the sub-cycles in the third full cycle.  This included running the local goods into the milk loop and the milk train into the goods loop.  The loop cleaning operations seem to have done the trick and all the mainline operations went really well, apart from Dicheat Manor requiring a nudge to get started from the UP loops.  There were still problems getting the two panier tanks started but, once moving, they ran very well and stopped correctly under deceleration.

Later, I managed another session and managed to complete the whole of the fourth operational cycle.  Here’s a little cameo with 61664 ‘Liverpool’ heading out of the new tunnel construction with a DOWN intermediate passenger, 80119 heading towards the tunnel with an UP local passenger and 9744 about to enter the branch line tunnel, on its was to Norton with the ‘B’ set.

The hill is covered with snow at the moment, so that the locals can enjoy sledging (not the cricket variety) during the Christmas holidays.  There is a space time discontinuity between the tunnel hill and the backscene, but the timelords may have had something to do with that.  By the end of January, I hope that the hill will be returned to its proper place in the fabric of space/time.

Things were steadily improving and here’s another cameo of 4915 ‘Cranmore Hall’ departing from Platform 2 with a Down intermediate passenger while 80119 stands at Platform 3 with an UP local passenger and 9744 waits for the OFF at Platform 4, ready to depart for Norton.

I am pleased to report that, even the branch line locos were improving in performance.  By the end, 9744 was occasionally starting without help and 6417 only needed an occasional nudge to get it started.  So I have now completed all the running of the operational timetable and the tracks are now ready for cleaning.  However, before cleaning begins, I will get to grips with the DOWN tunnels.  Here they are waiting for the structure to be fitted.

Once I have fitted the tunnels, I will then clean the entire track again.  In the meantime, I intend to order some Track Magic and treat not only the track but also the pickup surfaces of the drivers, particularly those of the two paniers.  Hopefully, my next post will show some progress with the DOWN tunnels.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Maurits71

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23800
    • Awards
« Reply #1787 on: December 20, 2017, 07:35:36 pm »
Laurance, I always like your updates. just another thought with regards to your track, consider some Halfords contact spray, a small spray on 2 or 3 parts of your layout ( 5 cm ) is enough, your trains will spread it further. It's one of the ptoducts I use and I don't think it's a secret that I have never ever cleaned my track.
Hills and Meadows on social media

For Hills and Meadows video channel please click here

For Hills and Meadows on facebook please click here

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1788 on: December 20, 2017, 07:42:19 pm »
Laurance, I always like your updates. just another thought with regards to your track, consider some Halfords contact spray, a small spray on 2 or 3 parts of your layout ( 5 cm ) is enough, your trains will spread it further. It's one of the ptoducts I use and I don't think it's a secret that I have never ever cleaned my track.
Thank you Maurits

I am gradually building up a portfolio of strategies that I hope will see me through and your suggestion is another welcome option.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1789 on: December 21, 2017, 07:34:08 pm »
I had three short sessions in the Train Shed today, amounting to almost two hours in total.  In the first session I began to prepare for constructing the second tunnel and in the second, I began cutting out the pieces of plywood.  We were out for a considerable part of the rest of the day but, when we returned I managed to complete (well almost) the tunnel frame.

It’s not quite complete because I still have to add a wing wall for the right-hand side of the branch line tunnel entrance.  Tomorrow, I hope to be able to add the wing wall and then cut out and fix the Shaper Sheet.  That will leave me the task of plastering and colouring the Shaper Sheets for both tunnels, before adding card to finish off the walls before fixing the tunnel entrances permanently to the frames.

However, once the Shaper Sheet has been fixed to the DOWN tunnels, I will set about cleaning up the baseboards and floor areas, ready for a good track cleaning session.  I may be able to start that tomorrow, time permitting.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1790 on: December 22, 2017, 06:25:35 pm »
First thing this morning, I finished off the frame for the DOWN loop tunnels.  Then it was off to the Farmers’ market to buy a Lincolnshire Poacher.  No, not the one in the song, but a cheese.  Lincolnshire Poacher is the brand and it’s a very nice cheese indeed.  It’s the nearest I’ve found to Llangloffan, which was made by Leon Downey from a small herd of Jerseys in Llnagloffan, near St Davids.  I Discovered it by accident not long after he started making cheese in 1977.  I sometimes bought a 9lb cheese from him, but he eventually gave up, mainly because of bureaucracy.  It was only recently that I discovered Lincolnshire Poacher. 

Anyway, I had ordered what they described as a small truckle to be collected today.  I’m not too happy with the term ‘truckle’ because I always think of a truckle as a small round cheese, like a Brie or Camembert.  They don’t talk about rolling a truckle down Birdlip hill.  It’s a cheese.  To me, something that comes out of a cheese press is a cheese, not a truckle.  The name ‘truckle’ derives from the Late Middle English denoting a wheel or pulley, hence something barrel-shaped, weighing several pounds, is not really a truckle.

But I digress.  After coffee, I put on a loaf of bread (to eat with the cheese) and then spent a little more time in the Train Shed.  This time I managed to cover the tunnel frame.

Thereafter, I set about cleaning the track.  I cleaned all of the tracks between the two sets of storage loops.  Here’s my track cleaning kit.

Once that was complete, I moved all the trains out of the UP loops so that I would be able to clean them next.  Here are all the trains that had to be stored temporarily in the station.

And here’s a picture of the empty UP loops, ready for cleaning.

Tomorrow, if time permits, I hope to be able to finish all the track cleaning.  Also, I have ordered some track Magic, so I should be able to clean the pick-up surfaces of the driving wheels of the suspect locos.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1791 on: December 22, 2017, 08:18:27 pm »

I’ll try to keep you posted over the Christmas period but, before I forget
Merry Christmas Everyone
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1792 on: December 22, 2017, 08:46:23 pm »

But I digress.  After coffee, I put on a loaf of bread (to eat with the cheese) and then spent a little more time in the Train Shed.

Sorry to digress, Laurence, but exactly where did you wear the loaf please? Perhaps it was cold in the shed so you wore the loaf on your feet to keep them warm.
(from someone who used to wax cheese at a dairy in Longridge, near Preston)

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1793 on: December 23, 2017, 06:41:51 am »
Sorry to digress, Laurence, but exactly where did you wear the loaf please? Perhaps it was cold in the shed so you wore the loaf on your feet to keep them warm.
(from someone who used to wax cheese at a dairy in Longridge, near Preston)
  The bread went in the bread oven and I buy unwaxed cheese with a rind on so that I have to scrub off the mould under the tap.  The rind is the best part of the cheese.  :D :D :D :D :D
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1794 on: December 23, 2017, 07:34:55 pm »
Today has been a good news/bad news day.  Let’s start with the first instalment of good news.  First thing, I managed to clean all the UP loops.  Then it was off to the butcher’s and then the coffee shop.  We had quite a bit to bring back from the butcher’s and so we took the car, for a change.  We also took the opportunity to take our summer quilt to the cleaners.  We’re not doing Christmas dinner this year, but we bought a capon for Christmas eve, because we can use the cold meat for a cold buffet on Boxing Day.  Once we had sorted everything out, I managed another slot in the Train Shed and moved everything out of the DOWN loops ready to be cleaned.  Here you see the UP loops repopulated with additions from the DOWN loops.

And here are the remaining five trains occupying the station tracks.

That left the DOWN loops clear for cleaning. 

Once the DOWN loops were cleaned, I moved all the trains back to their ‘home’ loops.  Now for some bad news.  The paniers were still problematical. 9744 was very jerky, with a jerk every revolution of the drivers.  And 6417 was a real problem running bunker first.  But then there was some more good news.  The Track Magic that I ordered yesterday arrived and I was able to have a go at the paniers and problematical parts of the branch.  The main benefit, although not immediately, was when I used the tiny brush that comes with the track magic to clean the pick-up surfaces of the drivers of 9744 plus the tyres.  After a few runs, it improved quite a bit.  But then came more bad news.  I had to reduce the acceleration time somewhat to ensure a reliable start and it still need a tweek now and then to get it started. 

I then turned my attention to 6417, but the story was less good.  Although there was an improvement, particularly in the forwards direction, it still had problems running bunker first.  There were certain parts of the branch where it just kept stopping, but only when running bunker first.  9744 had no problems with those sections of track.  In the end, I set its acceleration to zero and that seemed to work, although far from a satisfactory state of affairs.

Then there was some more good news.  I began to run the timetable, with some success.  80119 needed a prod to get it going from Platform 2 first time out but, thereafter was no trouble.  9744 Needed a prod to start from Shipton first time out, but was mainly trouble free.  Here’s the state of play when the first three trains had arrived at Marton Hinmarche.  4915 ‘Cranmore Hall’ is standing at Platform 3, ready to depart with a London train, while on the other side of the island platform, 9744 stands with its B set and 80119 is at Platform 2, with a local passenger for Worcester.

The next bad news came when I set the points for the second sub-cycle: there was suddenly a short circuit.  Point 26 turnout blade had come out of its socket in the tie bar.  After a considerable effort with fine tweezers, I managed to relocate, but it had happened several days ago, so I may have to replace the point.  On its second run 9744 needed a prod to get it started from the Norton loops.  Then, on its first run from Norton, 6417’s train kept separating.  In the end, I had to remove the LWB flat wagon because its coupling just would not stay coupled, no matter where I put it in the train.

On the next sub-cycle, 6837 ‘Forthampton Grange’ was extremely jerky, so I lifted it and applied track magic to its pick-ups and tyres.  When I went to replace it, I realised that its bogie was still on the track.  There was no sign of the securing screw, but it could have been missing for weeks, if not months, so I’ll have to get another from DCC supplies.  I managed to fit it back, minus the screw and it ran the second half of its run much better that its original performance.

After that, there were only couple of minor issues: 9744 needed another prod at Norton and 46122 ‘Royal Ulster Rifleman’ had the trailing bogie derailed when it started.  I had probably nudged it at some time when adjusting things in the loops, so I don’t think it was a real failure.

Christmas has come early this year.  I always think that Christmas starts on Christmas Eve.  Because Christmas Eve is on a Sunday, today already feels like Christmas Eve.  This is probably compounded by the fact that we are taking the family out to the pantomime tomorrow, so we won’t be having an evening meal.  We will have our Christmas Eve meal in the middle of the day, which is a bit like Christmas Dinner.  So once again

Do have a very good Christmas everyone
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1795 on: December 24, 2017, 09:54:45 am »
The "Castle Estates" sincerely apologises for the problems with the coupling of their LWB flat wagon. [Perhaps a small, black-painted piece of plasticard glued below the coupling (but not TO the coupling) will keep it at the correct height? If not it will be replaced, FoC, next year by a new twin bolster timber wagon.]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:25:05 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1796 on: December 24, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »
Well, there really is good news today.  I tried 6417 out again, after standing all night to let the Track Magic work.  It ran really well, apart from the fact that the Castle Brewery van now decoupled from the train.  However, I think both decoupling problems were because 6417 was running at full speed over the throat points because of zero acceleration time.  But I was now able to reset the acceleration to normal and everything worked fine.  Phew!

The next thing was that 80119 was a bit inclined to stumble, so I gave it the Track Magic Treatment.  Then it had a recurrence of the London Road bridge stalls, so I tightened up the rail joiners.  That seemed to fix it.

After that I ran the next four sub-cycles without incident, apart from 61664 ‘Liverpool’ taking too long to decelerate.  The CV value must have somehow changed.  After I reprogramed it to the correct value, it was fine again.  So everything in the Train Shed seems to be ready for Christmas.

Then there was even better news.  It appears that Dr Who has been able to travel forward in time to 2020 and obtained one of the new passports.

Let the Feasting begin

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:50:35 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1797 on: December 24, 2017, 02:25:46 pm »
Excellent news, Laurence.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1798 on: December 24, 2017, 03:35:10 pm »
  Then it had a recurrence of the London Road bridge stalls

I had that last Christmas but luckily Sennakot sorted it out. Hope I don't get it this year :worried:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1799 on: December 25, 2017, 08:12:55 am »
‘Twas the night before Christmas
The Trains were asleep;
The Train Shed was silent,
Not even a ‘Peep’.
But then I heard hissing,