!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 136013 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1755 on: December 11, 2017, 07:54:21 pm »
Today I made a concerted effort to prepare for the Shaper Sheet that will be used for the terrain between the tunnel entrances and the hidden loops.  First thing, it was still cold and I switched on the heater for a short while so that I could take some measurements and mark out the screening sections.

Later, I went back and, after having switched on the heater again, I cut out the first section and clamped it into place, ready for fixing to the entrance to the UP loops.

This is the same section after it had been completed.

Later still, I returned (switched on the heater) and worked on the DOWN loops entrance.  Once it was complete I began the first full cycle of the operational timetable.  Hereís 6417 taking the branch goods on its way to Shipton.

The rest of the operational timetable was a bit of a mixed bag.  At first 9477 was reluctant to start from rest but, after four return journeys with the branch passenger, it was running very well.  On the other hand, 6417, with the branch goods, started well enough, but was rather uncooperative towards the end of its second run.  Most other things ran well, apart from the fact that 46443, with a local passenger, was fouled on its second exit from the DOWN loops because I had stopped the parcels train too soon in its loop so that its longer vans/coaches were on the tightest curve.  I need to adjust the deceleration factor for Dicheat Manor so that it runs further round the loop before coming to rest.

However, there was still the continuing problem with 80119 exiting Loop 15 of th DOWN loops.  In the end, I discovered Canmore Hall also stopped in the same place.  After track cleaning I decided that there must be a problem with one of the rail joiners on a very short section of track connecting two points.  After a bit of manipulation with my angle-nosed pliers, the problem was solved.  Hereís the offending joint after the problem had been corrected.

Then 80119 had a recurrence of stopping under the London Road bridge.  I manipulated the rail joiners here, where there was a similarly short section of track and that problem was solved as well.

Towards the end of the operating session, I made a short video of 3846 hauling the mineral train through the station, while 9744 and 46443 were both stopped at there respective platforms.

I hope the Shaper Sheet comes soon.  It was supposed to come today, but later I received a message from DPD to say that it had been delayed.  Letís see what tomorrow brings.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1756 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:34 pm »
Thanks for the latest update, Laurence. Very good to see the dark blue "Castle Brewery" van in the branch goods on its way to Shipton, along with a BR Standard horsebox, I wonder which horse(s) are riding inside?

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1757 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:56 pm »
Hi Laurence

With your shaper sheet in place, I am beginning to see how the scenery at that end of your layout might look. Very good.

I suggest that the track joins in your photo would be good candidates for soldering. Would solve the problem there forever.

Webbo

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1758 on: December 12, 2017, 07:41:13 pm »
First thing this morning, I managed to get over an hour in the Train Shed.  The temperature had been down to about 8C overnight and was about 10C when I arrived.  Naturally, I switched on the heater and by the time I left, it had risen to 13.8C.  I began with the first six sub-cycles of the next full cycle, leaving four for later.  Forthampton Grange just would not pass the points for the crossover at the DOWN entrance to the station.  In the end, I decided that there must be a problem with the connectivity because 80119 had occasionally stalled at the point, albeit without actually stopping.  So out came the angle-nosed pliers and I worked on the joiners.  Fortunately, that did the trick and everything else worked very nicely.

When I had finished with the operational timetable, I set about the screen for the UP loops.  I cut it from the same material as used for the backscenes.  Here it is clamped ready for final fixing.

Later on in the afternoon, I returned to fix the screen.  By this time, the temperature in the Train Shed had fallen to 6.9C:  all too cold.  Before I left, I added a couple of additional ďONĒ cycles to the heater so that it would cut in during the day and prevent such low temperature excursions.  I then ran the last four sub-cycles, including two runs for 6417.  Iím afraid that 6417 didnít behave too well at starting from rest and also had a couple of stalls on the branch.  That might be temperature related.  On one occasion, Dicheat Manor required a nudge to get it going from Platform 3.

When I had finished all the operational timetable movements, I returned to the screens.  I fixed the UP loop screen and then set about the DOWN loop screen.  Here they are both fixed in position.

Both screens will carry backscenes, the ones left over from the original backscenes.  Also, the Shaper Sheet and associated bits arrived today, so I will be able to get on with the landscaping around the tunnels.  When I left the Train Shed, the temperature had risen to a tropical 10.5C.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1759 on: December 12, 2017, 09:19:22 pm »
I'm wondering, in a totally unscientific manner, if the temperature fluctuations are perhaps contributing to the annoyances of the track joins.

As my layout is in the house, the temp doesn't vary so much. Where I have problems is the points which is usually at the most awkward place and down to the tiny specs of grit/dust that somehow get in there.

I've never been brave enough to attempt soldered joins. My gradual loss of fine dexterity is partly to blame.

Dave G

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1760 on: December 12, 2017, 09:48:58 pm »
Looking good there Laurence, to be honest I do not think soldering the joints would help if you have temperature variations it might even add to the problems. It is important to get good straight joints though, a trick I have used where it is over a board join is to put a bit of card in the board joint, fit the track over the joint and cut it, I use Zuron cutters. Then undo the joint and remove the card, when you put them back together the gap is smaller.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #1761 on: December 12, 2017, 11:49:23 pm »
I have been taking great interest in following this topic and peopleís recent  comments regarding fluctuations in temperature. Laurenceís heated shed is quite something, I think we can all agree, which brings me to ask the question Ďhow do layouts, in more humbler sheds cope?í Thinking about my layout in my shed with cardboard covering gaps and minimal insulation elsewhere, a temporary situation, as it is still developing, surely there must be lots of shed layouts experiencing much worse conditions, donít you think?

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1762 on: December 13, 2017, 12:00:52 am »
I agree Bob, my layout is in a loft room and i get from cold to warm ie winter to summer. At least I have a radiator connected to the central heating system which is kicking in now, summer is worst to be honest.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1763 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:05 pm »
First thing this morning, I managed to run the first six sub-cycles of the next operational timetable full cycle.  When I went down to the Train Shed, the minimum temperature during the night was 8.1C but had risen to 13.3C when I arrived.  By the time I left it had risen to 15C with the heater on.  There were a few running anomalies, but nothing of great significance regarding the track and loco performance.  9744 needed a nudge first thing to get it going from the DOWN loops and again once in Platform 4 but, otherwise, ran perfectly.  3846 came to a halt while exiting the UP loops because of a derailed pony truck, but this is a known issue that I will need to address at some time in the future.  92006 first decoupled its train and then derailed when trying to exit the DOWN loops.  This may have been caused by the pony truck (another known issue) or it may have been disturbed (probably by me) while standing in the loops.  But, apart from those issue, the morning session went very well.

Later in the afternoon, I returned to find the temperature had fallen to 12.1C.  Before I ran any more trains, I tried out some LED strips that I had bought as an experiment.  I though they might work as footlights to illuminate the front of the station boards at low level.  However, with the camera set to automatic, they resulted in white-out of the buildings closest to the edge and when I tried to set up the exposure, everything else was too dark.  So they might be OK for generally viewing, but definitely not for photographs.

I ran the final four cub-cycles, with two runs for 6417.  It required a nudge to get it started first time, but then was OK until it approached the DOWN loop tunnels, when it coughed seriously.  On its return run, it just would not negotiate that section of track at all in the reverse direction.  In the end, I used the IPA and card technique to clean the whole length of track from the DOWN loops.  That did the trick and there were no more problems with it.  However, Forthampton Grange completely keeled over when it reach the last set of points on the exit from the UP loops.  I could find nothing wrong with it and can only assume that the bogie must have been derailed at some time, causing it to lurch violently to the right.  By the end of the runs, the temperature had risen to 14.2C

After those runs I had a go at forming the Shaper Sheet for the UP tunnels.  This turned out to be much more difficult than I had anticipated.  First I tried to use a single piece, but it proved impossible to bend it to the correct shape.  I then cut it, to try and achieve the desired result in two parts, but I found that the cut piece was too small.  I cut another piece and began again, concentrating on the double track tunnel.  Trying to mate it with Metcalfe card kits is not simple, the Metcalfe kits are at great risk of being destroyed during the contortions of the Shaper Sheet.  It is all very well to watch the videos about making a fairly shapeless hill to sit in the middle of nowhere, but this was much more demanding.  Tea time arrived before I had made much progress, but this was the result before I called it a day.

When I left the Train Shed, the temperature had risen to 15.5C.  Iíll persevere with the Shaper Sheet tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1764 on: December 13, 2017, 08:06:10 pm »
I know nothing about shaper sheets. I prefer foam board covered with grouting. But...it seems to mee it needs a few strategic cuts to make it more manageable.
Is that going to be another tunnel over the line to the left of the existing tunnel mouth?
Or will that retaining wall be continued back further?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1765 on: December 13, 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
I may have tried Shaper Sheet would it have around when I was doing the main scenic build.

I did by an odd coincidence use something vaguely similar though. Celetox, used as my base has a tough foil covering and having stripped that off I used this as the shaping material for the 3 lift-off sections of my tunnel. I then covered the shaped foil with Plaster of Paris bandage to give the piece some strength. Messy but fun!

I'm sure with a bit of practice you'll get the new stuff doing its job and look forward to seeing the results.

Dave G

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1766 on: December 13, 2017, 08:45:16 pm »
I use aluminum mosquito  netting as a base for scenery. To support it I put screwed up newspaper underneath and remove it when everything is set. If I can't reach it I leave it where it is. It can be cut with scissors and sewn together with strands of the weave. I then cover it either with torn paper and watered down white glue or if I want something stronger a filler pushing it through the mesh similar to re-enforced concrete.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1767 on: December 13, 2017, 10:41:57 pm »
I have used both wire netting like used for rabbits and home made cardboard formers, then covered them with some paper then plaster bandage over the top. Messy but fun and it seems easier than the shaper stuff, those card tunnels are a bit vulnerable. The plastic ratio ones are more stable but nearly all layouts seem to have the same ones. Contact @newportnobby of this forum I think he has a supply of tunnel mouths, he seems to buy them at every show he goes too.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1768 on: December 14, 2017, 06:37:06 am »
Is that going to be another tunnel over the line to the left of the existing tunnel mouth?
Or will that retaining wall be continued back further?

There is another tunnel that I have removed to try and get the Shaper Sheet into shape, so to speak.  This is what it looked like before I removed the tunnel mouth.

With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1769 on: December 14, 2017, 04:06:45 pm »
Contact Newportnobby of this forum I think he has a supply of tunnel mouths, he seems to buy them at every show he goes too.

Not in 18 months now @lil chris :no:
I've re-programmed my brain cell (I hope :uneasy:)

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything