!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project - Marton Hinmarche  (Read 118625 times)

crashit and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26734
  • 2mm Association Number: 5172
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1665 on: November 15, 2017, 10:42:10 pm »
Sorry to read about your running troubles Laurence  :(, very frustrating! Although I haven't actually run any trains on a proper layout for a few years I do recall that a good old track rubber used to improve things a lot as long as you gently hoover the track afterwards, I know there are a lot of 'fors' and 'againsts' but it always seemed to work!
 I too used to find that some loco's always needed 'warming up' before they would perform satisfactorily at slower speeds! Probably even more crucial on an end to end layout as you can't just leave them running to 'warm up' while you get on with something else, a bit of a phenomenon generally I think!  ???.
The buildings are coming along very nicely, a proper little community building up there! Keep up the good work, best wishes,

Jimbo.

'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1666 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:30 am »
I use the WS Track Tidy rail cleaner but with IPA rather than the WS stuff in the kit. I did use that once and found it left a residue on the track that made my locos spin up so into the bin it went. I bought the WS wheel cleaner as well but have never used it, preferring instead the good old IPA soaked kitchen roll on a piece of track as you can clean rolling stock wheels as well as loco wheels using the same method.
Thanks for the link NPN.  I have ordered some IPA from Radiospares.

I think the tarnishing was a result of using the Tidy Track cleaning fluid.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:17:41 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1667 on: November 16, 2017, 08:33:28 pm »
Today was a much better day, thank goodness.  I began, first thing with a complete circuit by 80119 and Forthampton Grange, each stopping at the station both ways and coming to rest in the loops at the end of the run.  It all worked like clockwork.  The temperature was a little lower this morning.  Overnight, it fell below 16C and by the time I went into the Train Shed, it was just over 17C, so that may knock the temperature argument on the head.

We had a day out today, in Derbyshire.  When I got back to the train shed, I ran the same two locos, for the complete circuit as before, before moving on to a straight timetable run.  Forthampton Grange needed a little prod to start from Platform 2 on the DOWN run but, otherwise, everything was still good.  Here is a picture of the two in the station. 

Then I moved on to follow the whole of the second full cycle of the operational timetable, again using just the mainline operations.  Everything worked really well.  To give some idea of how it went, I made a video of 80119 and 45572 Eire arriving at and leaving Marton Hinmarche.  I apologise for the banner across the video, but I have downloaded some video editing software to try and increase the brightness, with some success but, until I pay for it I am stuck with the banner.  First you will see 80119 arriving with a DOWN local passenger followed by Eire arriving with an UP intermediate passenger.  After a short pause, Eire leaves, followed by 80119.

I continued right to the end of cycle but, on the very last leg for 80119, it reverted back to a blip going under the London Road bridge on the UP exit from the station.  Otherwise, it all worked OK.  Maybe the running sessions have wiped all the cleaning fluid from the rails.

The two brake vans have arrived from Hattons and I have added them to the branch goods.  My final act tonight was to run the newly configured branch goods out of the UP loops and into Platform 4, the branch platform. 

Although it ran perfectly from the loops to the station, it was the very little red-tailed monster to get it going again to return it to the loops.  However, with the tips I have received and the isopropyl alcohol that I have ordered, I may be able to sort things out.  I hope for more good news tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1668 on: November 16, 2017, 08:48:29 pm »
Thanks for the very nice video Laurence. Great to see full length trains in operation.
I’m glsd that you had a better day (running wise). Let’s hope that the bulk of your troubles are behind you. I certainly think that the IPA will help. Just as a tip - I apply mine on a bit of card (eg from a cereal box) which is wide enough to rub on both rails atthe same time when rubbed along withyour finger. Works for me and you’ll be amazed at the crud which rubs onto the card.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1669 on: November 16, 2017, 09:33:32 pm »
Looking Good Laurence, pleased you have at last had some success with some decent running. we tend to make assumptions when something goes wrong and its good when you finally get some where and find the true cause of any problems. I my self have had some success tonight and what a good feeling. With regard to your video editing software have you tried Avidemux2.7 its a free video editor and very simple to use and free. It needed to be simple for me to work it....he...he.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1670 on: November 17, 2017, 06:58:01 am »
HI Chris

I downloaded Avidemux2.7 but, unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any way of changing the brightness or contrast.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1671 on: November 17, 2017, 07:51:33 pm »
Today was another good running day.  When I went down to the Train Shed first thing, the overnight temperature had been down to 11C and it was only 12C when I arrived.  BUT, the trains all ran very well, with hardly a cough.  So the low temperature does not seem to be an issue after all.  I have a thermostatically controlled oil filled radiator with a time switch that runs from midnight to 7am, so it’s not likely to get much colder than that.  Obviously, if we have a long cold spell, I will need to run the heater during the day as well.

Later I carried on with the mainline timetabled running and it still all ran well.  Ditcheat Manor had to be pushed a little to get it started from the DOWN loops, but otherwise there were no real problems.  By the time I reached the last of the ‘a’ runs, I decided to make another video.  That is where the trouble started, almost all self-inflicted, I am sorry to say.  First, I didn’t get the video started in time.  So, it was round again (which is always an option in an ‘a’ run) to have another ‘take’.  This time, I stopped Forthampton grange too far along the platform and it hit a gremlin on start-up.  Then I concentrated on the camera too much and mucked up the loco stopping cues.  So round and round we went, with failed ‘takes’ for one reason or another.  Eventually after about a dozen ‘takes’, I managed to get one ‘in the can’.  Here you see 80119 gliding into Platform 3 with an UP local passenger.  Then, Forthampton grange arrives at Platform 2 with a DOWN intermediate passenger.  After a very short pause to allow passengers to alight and board, it sets off again in the direction of Worcester.  As it disappears into the distance, the local passenger moves off from Platform 3.

After that, I completed everything, right up until the last timetable sub-cycle.  At that point, 45206, pulling the milk train, suddenly came to a halt after leaving the UP loops.  Before I could get to there, it began to run slowly, but with the driving wheels locked (Graham Farish locos are driven by the tender wheels), so the driving wheels slid along the rails without revolving.  I suspected a fouled valve gear or slide bars.  So I removed it from the track and had a careful look.  I couldn’t see any problem and eventually, it all seemed OK again.  I will have to keep my eye on that but, otherwise, it has been a very successful day.  Tomorrow, I hope to finish the mainline running and concentrate on the branch line.  I should be able to get on with the scenery soon.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1672 on: November 17, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »
All starting to look very smooth indeed Laurence.
Running as a well oiled machine should  :D
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1673 on: November 18, 2017, 07:52:18 am »
I’ve been meaning to include this point in my replies for a while, but kept forgetting.  It’s not about the layout but about the new two glass four aspect signals appearing on the transpennine route.  I have looked them up on the web and stood by the track and observed them, to confirm the basic operation.  Basically, each of the two glasses is capable of showing all three colours via superbright LED displays.  Under normal operation, the lower glass shows red, amber and green and the upper one the second amber for a double amber.  However, should one of the lower displays fail, it will be replaced by the same colour in the upper glass.  Obviously, if the lower amber fails, it will not be possible to display double amber.  In this case, it would be interesting to know whether or not the preceding signal will defer from green to double amber.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1674 on: November 18, 2017, 08:12:49 pm »
This, despite the fact that the temperature was below 12C when I first went to the train shed and never rose above 13C all day.  First thing, I managed a quick once round with 80119 and 45572, Eire.  Then it was time to go to the butchers, as usual, but then we went to see a man about a kitchen.  We’re not have a completely new kitchen, but we want a few major changes and new doors, etc.  By the time we arrived home there was time for the first sub-cycle before it was time to eat.  Then I had to make another sortie to pick up some things from fix-a-screw to install some outside lighting, so that I can see to do things in the evening at this time of year.

After that we had a visitor about U3A (Grrr..) but at least the visit finished with a quick visit to the Train Shed to show progress to date.  I even got to run another sub-cycle to demonstrate the state of play.  Then, I was able to have a good session to finish the day, completing the last full cycle.  I was even able to make some video clips, which I have been able to join together as a single file.  I have enhanced the picture quality as much as possible, but it is still a bit murky.  In the first sequence, you will see 46443 arriving at Platform 3 with an UP local passenger and then 46122 Royal Ulster Rifleman thunders through Platform 2 with a non-stop express before 46443 pulls away again.  In the second, 80119 arrives at Platform 3 with an UP local passenger followed by 4915 arriving for a brief stop at Platform 2 with a DOWN intermediate passenger.  Finally, 46443 arrives at Platform 2 with a DOWN local passenger and 5041 Tiverton Castle flashes by through Platform 3 with a non-stop UP express.

Tomorrow, I will be in a position to carry out another cleaning cycle, should I want to, but I think I may then concentrate on the branch trains.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1675 on: November 19, 2017, 08:20:19 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the excellent videos Laurence, your patience is paying dividends well done   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1676 on: November 19, 2017, 09:14:12 pm »
I had a quick trip to the Train Shed first thing and set up the points (using my Rule 55 sheet) for a roundy-roundy and put 6417 and 9744 onto the mainline.  I gave them a quick circuit, but it wasn’t very successful.  It was a long time before I was able to get back again because, after our morning walk, I continues with installing the outside lights, which involved fitting junction boxes, etc., and tidying up all the cables afterwards.  I have still one to fit.

When, eventually, I managed to get back I concentrated on the two branch locos.  I cleaned all of the branch line with cardboard and IPA, drying off with clean cardboard.  I had a go at cleaning the wheels with IPA and kitchen roll, but it wasn’t too easy.  I have a small 3ml syringe and so I used that to apply a very tiny drop of IPA to each driver.  Then I concentrated on continuous running on the main.  The both started to behave pretty well, with generally good starts from the station.  Here they are making a stop and start.  There is a slight discontinuity in the video because, Murphy’s law and all that, 6417 needed a nudge to get it going again.  The taps you can hear in the background are my finger tapping on the increase and decrease speed buttons.

Eventually I relocated 5744 to the branch while 6417 continued on the main for a little longer.  By the time I finished, 9744 would manage all the station stops and starts, but needed a nudge to start from the loops.  6417 on the other hand, was fine starting from the loops, but needed a nudge to start from the platform.  But we are making progress.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:16:21 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1677 on: November 20, 2017, 08:51:11 pm »
Today should have been a simple running day with the branch locos.  First thing, I ran them both out and back without too much of a problem.  9744 needed a nudge in the loops and 6417 needed a nudge in the station.  Then it was table tennis and afterwards there were several chores that needed attending to.  So it was mid afternoon before I got back to the train shed.  I transferred both locos to the mainline and ran a tail chase for a while, before electing to run them at much greater speeds to see if that would help with running when their speeds were restored to normal.  I thought it might be nice to create an unrealistic video of them running at breakneck speed through the station, together with their trains.  To give the locos a good workout, I had set their acceleration and deceleration times to zero.  However, during the third clip, 9744 almost comes to a halt before running on.  This may have been a warning of things to come.

When I returned the settings of the locos to normal, things went badly wrong.  They refused to start and when they did, they kept stopping.  I had a real heart stop when 6417 refused to stop running.  Even if I lifted it from the track and replaced it with the throttle set to zero, it just shot off at full speed.  Then I found that nothing else would run.  I decided that the Gaugemaster controller must have crashed and so I turned it off and then on again.  Fortunately, that seemed to do the trick.  But the bad running seemed to persist.  This was contrary to all intuition.  In the end, I decided that the locos must have picked up a lot of debris on their wheels from running at high speed.  I used the IPA impregnated kitchen roll technique to clean the wheels and a lot of blackness was deposited on the kitchen roll.  After that, things improved, but it was time to close up for the evening, so I’ll have more information about the effect of cleaning tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1678 on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:45 pm »
Today started with not much improvement.  9744 was very jerky, with a jerk once per revolution of the drivers.  I have just received some Dapol lubricating oil, so I use a tiny drop on each coupling rod pivot and each gear wheel, for both locos.  6417 was a lot better, but not 9744.  I returned them to the branch, which I had previously cleaned with IPA.  But 9744 was still jerky.  So I decided to have another go at wheel cleaning using IPA and kitchen roll.  I managed to get a large amount of black muck off the wheels again.  After that, it behaved much more normally.  I repeated the same with 6417 and then re-cleaned the branch with IPA and cardboard.  Here’s my cleaning kit, after use.  The syringe contains the IPA, the cardboard had been used to clean the track and the kitchen roll to clean the wheels.

Before retesting, I removed both trains from the tracks and tested the locos as light engines.  After that, 6417 seemed to behave very well, stopping and starting in the correct places.  9744 was much improved, although it still needed a nudge to start once or twice.  I then tried 9744 with its B set.  It seems that, at least, I have recovered to the position before the high-speed runs.  I may think twice before any further high-speed runs for the branch locos.  I think I still need to concentrate on the branch, but things do seem to be going in the right direction.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1679 on: November 21, 2017, 07:43:16 pm »
Laurence

Glad that you are getting to the bottom of your running difficulties.

My knowledge of things mechanical is not as good as many.  A bit with steam engines and quite a lot with motorcycles that were 'Made in England'.  But I am an enthusiast for the mechanical benefits of what my late father (an engineer and served in the RAF) called 'a fast flap'.  Your 'breakneck speed' video was good but I thought the trains were moving fairly slowly (but I'm from G&SWR territory - read anything by the late DL Smith and you'll get the point).

My Union Mills locomotives appear to thank me for a TT course-type whizz around the layout from time to time.  Apart from the TT course being on the Isle of Man, there is probably another reason...  As for me, it's a bit unprototypical* but good fun!  And they certainly run well after their 'fast flap'.  [And, no; I've not derailed at a corner, as yet!]

Yours regulator in the cab roofingly

John

*Unless racing the 'Caley' side by side at Ardeer for the Arran boat traffic.  Very prototypical in that case. 
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here