!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 57825 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1380 on: August 25, 2017, 12:18:56 am »
Laurence

You'll have good time with your hot wire cutter and the EPS. I started my scenery with plywood formwork covered with cardboard strips, but quickly realised that the EPS was a far faster and easier way to go. Gaps in the sculpted EPS blocks were covered with plaster bandage in places. On top, I applied a layer of Sculptamold which could be formed to shape the scenery details such as rock faces or even just flat surfaces. Before I started I thought scenery creation would be tough, but it turned out to be one the easiest and most pleasurable steps in my layout construction.

Webbo

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1381 on: August 25, 2017, 07:45:47 am »
Have fun with the the foam cutter!

Are you planning to fit lighting to the station platforms, buildings and roads? I decided to do that a bit later than was practical but really pleased I did. The lights add so much to the atmosphere, esp when you dim the room lights.

There are some really good lighting options out there. Happy to share the ones that work for me, on request.

Being DCC you have also the option of easily fitting lights to your coaching stock too.

Dave G

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1382 on: August 25, 2017, 08:17:38 pm »
First thing, I finalised sub-cycle 11a with 61664 and 80119, then moved on to 11b with 9744 and 4051 ‘Tiverton Castle’.  After that, I ran a modified version of 11c, so that 45206 with the milk train could tail chase 7821 ‘Dicheat Manor’ with the parcels train through the milk depot.  Then I moved on to 12a with 80119 again and 6837 ‘Forthampton Grange’.  First, I did a couple of laps with them to ensure they were in good form for testing the ballast later.  After that I ballasted the crossover complex from the milk loop to the UP main.

Then I cut a sheet of EPS ready for landscaping between the station and the bridge. 
The rest of the morning was spent on household chores, finalising the MS Solihull newsletter and trying to knock the Hessle U3A flyer into shape.  The afternoon was spent cutting grass before returning to the Train Shed.

After the usual cleaning and hoovering processes, I tested the newly ballasted section.  I used 6417 to test the branch and the crossovers, but it didn’t like the crossovers too much.  However, after a deal of cleaning I did get it to perform.  I also had a switching problem with Point 41 that is the first exit point from the milk loop.  It took a bit of persuading to change reliably but, in the end, it was OK.  Close-ups of 6417 seem to be in vogue at the moment so here’s one of it testing the newly ballasted track.

After that, I did some more in-depth testing of the crossover with 6837 and 80119.  80119 also needed some persuading on the crossover, aided by further track cleaning but, after some perseverance, things settled down.  It will be interesting to see how 45206 performs on that section.

With testing completed for the day, I moved on to constructing the gradient from the station to the bridge.

Tomorrow, I will ballast the crossovers at the other end of the station.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1383 on: August 25, 2017, 08:20:30 pm »
Are you planning to fit lighting to the station platforms, buildings and roads? I decided to do that a bit later than was practical but really pleased I did. The lights add so much to the atmosphere, esp when you dim the room lights.

There are some really good lighting options out there. Happy to share the ones that work for me, on request.

Being DCC you have also the option of easily fitting lights to your coaching stock too.

Dave G
I must say, my favoured option is to run trains on a sunny summer's afternnon (even in the winter).  I'll think about the lights, but I would rather use the bright spotlights in the Train Shed to create the effect of a sunny day.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #1384 on: August 25, 2017, 08:33:42 pm »
Close-ups of 6417 seem to be in vogue at the moment

Crikey!  Edward Enninful really is ringing the changes! :-[

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1385 on: August 26, 2017, 08:58:13 am »
 :laughabovepost:  :claphappy:

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1386 on: August 26, 2017, 07:27:16 pm »
I started the day by running 6837 Forthamton Grange and 80119 to the end of the sub-cycle and then sub-cycle 12b with 9744 and 5041 ‘Tiverton Castle’.  I switched through 12c and ran a circuit or two of 13a with 45572 and 80119.  When I first started this morning, 6837 came a cropper because I had left a pair of tweezers obstructing the UP main.  Today’s lesson: check all the tracks are clear before starting any running.  I usually do, but this morning I forgot.  Then I ballasted the rest of the points at the DOWN end of the station.

Later, I did the usual cleaning and testing only to find that there was a problem at the points at the other end of the station.  In the end, it turned out to be high resistance on one of the PM1 auxiliary switches.  I managed to eradicate the problem by switching the point a few times.  But this is not the first time I have had this problem and I definitely need to buy some frog juicers to make sure this cannot happen during normal running.  After that, I started on the contours on the other side of the bridge.

You can see the rough gradient of London Road as it descends from the bridge towards the kick board (facia board, call it what you will) at the edge of the layout.  Here you can see the kick board, which I installed to mark the end of the road.

I will eventually fit all the kickboards around the inside of the layout.  I don’t expect to be able to get into the Train Shed tomorrow and I may not get much (if anything) done the next day because we have a family wedding party (ugh!).  But we must show willing.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1387 on: August 26, 2017, 07:35:01 pm »
I'm really looking forward to seeing your scenery taking shape Laurence.
And I'm sure the wedding party will be ok - enjoy it amd hsve fun.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1388 on: August 26, 2017, 07:53:07 pm »
Laurence

A very important lesson indeed.  It can happen to the best of us.

Please see:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-digest-112017-kirkham/near-miss-between-a-tamper-and-steel-pile-near-kirkham-lancashire-15-may-2017

I hope you have a jolly time at the wedding.

Best wishes.

John

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1389 on: August 26, 2017, 08:52:58 pm »
Laurence

A very important lesson indeed.  It can happen to the best of us.

Please see:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-digest-112017-kirkham/near-miss-between-a-tamper-and-steel-pile-near-kirkham-lancashire-15-may-2017
That's a typical scenario.  I used to work for the Safety and Reliability Directorate (SRD) and so I am familiar with this type of occurrence.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1390 on: August 27, 2017, 08:15:44 am »
I have decided to go down the Hex Frog Juicer road.  I will buy 9, which uses up all my reserves.  I could get away with 8 plus a dual juicer, but for the small amount of extra outlay, I will have greater flexibility for the future.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1391 on: August 27, 2017, 09:52:22 am »
I have decided to go down the Hex Frog Juicer road.  I will buy 9, which uses up all my reserves.  I could get away with 8 plus a dual juicer, but for the small amount of extra outlay, I will have greater flexibility for the future.

Those FAR more knowledgeable than I recommended Hex Frog Juicers so I'm sure their use will solve some of the problems you've been experiencing, Laurence. I have one for my three-way point whose smooth operation at low train speeds is crucial.

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1392 on: August 28, 2017, 08:06:13 pm »
In the end, I did manage to get into the Train Shed today.  I made a conscious decision not to ballast today, because I have found it better to ballast in the morning and then test in the afternoon.  Instead, I ran 13a, 13b with 92006 skipped 13c and moved on to 14a with 61664 ‘Liverpool, which I will use for the tests tomorrow.  The I made some progress on the curtain wall on the far side of the bridge.

I hope to be able to report more progress tomorrow.

I have gone ahead and ordered the Hex Frog Juicers to improve loco performance when negotiating points.  I also intend to replace all the plug and socket connections between boards with RS ‘chocolate block’ barrier strip, which should inprove both loco performance and make point switching more positive in the cases where it sounds a bit weak.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1393 on: August 28, 2017, 09:22:33 pm »
Hi there Laurence, the scenery seems to be progressing well, I never got round to buying a wire cutter and trying that method of working. I have though got two Hex Juicers, they are so easy to wire, you can use two connections for reversing loops which I did on my old layout. I am fed up with problems on my fiddle yard with the insulfrog points, I have a hex juicer connected with one point which I changed to live frog. I am thinking of changing a couple of the others to live frog and using the juicer. The points in my fiddle yard are all code 80 and use peco motors and switches. I tried previously with switches for the frogs on these motors and it was a nightmare so I am not going there when I already have a juicer with 5 connections left.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1394 on: August 29, 2017, 06:39:45 am »
That's really good news about the Frog Juicers, Chris.  It looks as though my money was well spent.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here