!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 58143 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1335 on: August 15, 2017, 08:51:47 pm »
I'm putting on weight with the pig's breakfasts I make. It's looking very good though.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1336 on: August 16, 2017, 07:16:36 pm »
Serendipity.  This morning I cleaned the track and ran Forthampton Grange and 80119 as usual.  There was no problem.  Then I thought I would set up the platforms for a video shoot later.  That was when I discovered that I had forgotten to use a platform spacer for the UP line along the start of Platform 3.  Oh dear!  So I had the bright idea of using a flat-bladed screwdriver to cut away the unwanted ballast by running it along the edge of the cork underlay.  It worked a treat and left a nice neat edge to accommodate the platform.  So, in future, I won’t worry about the platform spacer, I’ll just cut back the ballast later.  Here’s the result of the cut back.

And here it is with the platform refitted.

After that, I glued the supports for the roadway to the ramp I constructed yesterday.

Later, I returned to the Train Shed and cut away the parapet where the road access goes and put the road surface in place, although I haven’t glued it yet.

After that, I spent the rest of the time making a little video of a ‘real’ timetable scene.  In this case, it was Sub-cycle 5b.  It took a little rehearsal and setting up to make sure everything would run OK.  Also, I apologise for the poor focus.  I should have focused on the footbridge rather than the road bridge, so everything in and beyond the station is a bit blurred.

First, you will see 6417 arrive from Norton at Platform 4 with a DOWN branch mixed train, followed by the arrival of 9744 with an UP local passenger.  Then Royal Ulster Rifleman thunders, non-stop, through Platform 2 with a twelve coach DOWN express.  As the express recedes into the distance, first 6417 set off for Shipton and then 9744 departs from Platform3.

With all that, I didn’t get round to any more ballasting, but I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.  I will try to run Sub-cycle 6a in a day or two and see if I can get the zoom and focus to more appropriate settings.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1337 on: August 16, 2017, 07:44:57 pm »
Thanks for the video Laurence.
Very smooth and controlled running there. Congratulations on your track laying.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1338 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:18 pm »
Very Nice Laurence, I am envious of your train length though, wish I could run 12 coaches. At the end of the day it depends on the space you have, mine is taking all the space I dare.....lol
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #1339 on: August 16, 2017, 09:56:23 pm »
A +1 to all above. Excellent.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1340 on: August 16, 2017, 11:23:31 pm »
Excellent progress, Laurence: track, bridge and trains all looking wonderful.

Congratulations.

All the very best.

John

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1341 on: August 17, 2017, 07:42:40 am »
The bridge is looking very good Laurence. Interesting discovery on the ballast re-shaping, pleased that it provided a simple solution to the problem.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1342 on: August 17, 2017, 08:37:14 am »
Very Nice Laurence, I am envious of your train length though, wish I could run 12 coaches. At the end of the day it depends on the space you have, mine is taking all the space I dare.....lol
While on the subject of train lengths, I run fixed sets as follows:

46122 “Royal Ulster Rifleman” non-stop express passenger with 12 BR crimson and cream coaches
5041 “Tiverton Castle” non-stop express passenger with 11 WR chocolate and cream coaches
45572 “Eire” intermediate stopping passenger with 10 BR crimson and cream coaches
4915 “Cranmore Hall” intermediate stopping passenger with 9 WR chocolate and cream coaches
61664 “Liverpool” intermediate stopping passenger with 8 BR crimson and cream coaches
6837 “Forthampton Grange” intermediate stopping passenger with 7 BR crimson and cream coaches
80119 BR 2-6-4T local passenger with 6 maroon suburban coaches
7821 “Ditcheat Manor” parcels trains with 5 parcels coaches/vans
9744 Class 57XX 0-6-0PT local passenger with 4 maroon suburban coaches
6417 Class 64XX 0-6-0PT branch passenger with maroon ‘B’ set plus one SWB van
92006 9F 2-10-0 non-stop express freight with 27 SWB perishables vans (fish, meat and fruit)
3846 Class 28XX 8F 2-8-0 non-stop heavy goods with 27 assorted mineral wagons
45206 Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 stopping milk train with 14 milk tank wagons
64960 J39 Class 0-6-0 stopping local goods train with 14 assorted wagons

Eventually, if the Prairie ever arrives, that will take over the local passenger from 9744, which will be assigned to a new branch goods.  The SWB van on the branch passenger will then be attached to the local goods, there being no further need for a mixed train on the branch.

The idea of running fixed sets is that I can concentrate on running a comprehensive timetable without having to continually marshal trains.  I know many will prefer the fun of shunting, etc, but I just like to see trains running.
 :claphappy:
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1343 on: August 17, 2017, 09:38:56 am »
Laurence

That's certainly an impressive set of locomotive and train workings with some nice inter-Regional traffic, though primarily BR(W).

I agree completely about running trains rather than shunting, especially in 'N' which appears, to me at least, ideally suited to your approach.

All the very best.

John

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1344 on: August 17, 2017, 12:09:38 pm »
While on the subject of train lengths, I run fixed sets as follows:

46122 “Royal Ulster Rifleman” non-stop express passenger with 12 BR crimson and cream coaches
5041 “Tiverton Castle” non-stop express passenger with 11 WR chocolate and cream coaches
45572 “Eire” intermediate stopping passenger with 10 BR crimson and cream coaches
4915 “Cranmore Hall” intermediate stopping passenger with 9 WR chocolate and cream coaches
61664 “Liverpool” intermediate stopping passenger with 8 BR crimson and cream coaches
6837 “Forthampton Grange” intermediate stopping passenger with 7 BR crimson and cream coaches
80119 BR 2-6-4T local passenger with 6 maroon suburban coaches
7821 “Ditcheat Manor” parcels trains with 5 parcels coaches/vans
9744 Class 57XX 0-6-0PT local passenger with 4 maroon suburban coaches
6417 Class 64XX 0-6-0PT branch passenger with maroon ‘B’ set plus one SWB van
92006 9F 2-10-0 non-stop express freight with 27 SWB perishables vans (fish, meat and fruit)
3846 Class 28XX 8F 2-8-0 non-stop heavy goods with 27 assorted mineral wagons
45206 Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 stopping milk train with 14 milk tank wagons
64960 J39 Class 0-6-0 stopping local goods train with 14 assorted wagons

Eventually, if the Prairie ever arrives, that will take over the local passenger from 9744, which will be assigned to a new branch goods.  The SWB van on the branch passenger will then be attached to the local goods, there being no further need for a mixed train on the branch.

The idea of running fixed sets is that I can concentrate on running a comprehensive timetable without having to continually marshal trains.  I know many will prefer the fun of shunting, etc, but I just like to see trains running.
 :claphappy:

Very impressive, I will have to get you along to our next exhibition, you can set the format for the 12 trains to be run on Foster Street

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1345 on: August 17, 2017, 03:10:38 pm »
That's quite a list and great to see, Laurence.

I have more than enough of everything including coaches and wagons; it's the space that's the problem!

I'm restricted to a max of 7 coaches. Any more and the train wouldn't fit on the platforms and anyway, passenger or goods, it would look darned silly as it ran around my 7ft x 8ft L shaped layout.

Great news about the ballast 'adjusting'.

Dave G

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1346 on: August 17, 2017, 07:17:14 pm »
We didn’t go out until later this morning, so that left me a good hour and a half to set up and record a video.  After a couple of quick rehearsals, it should have been all plain sailing.  I so I thought.  I set up sub-cycle 6a and began.  But the locos weren’t having any of it.  First 6417 played up, then 80119.  The problem is that the timing is critical so I had to keep going back to the beginning.  In the end, after a lot of work with the track cleaner, things appeared to improve.  I ran 80119 and 61664 ‘Liverpool’ in a tail chase for a bit to get 80119 really warmed up.  However, then the suburban composite behind 80119 started derailing at a particular set of points on the UP loops exit.  It happened three times in a row, so I resorted to the old favourite of reversing the coach in the train and that cured the problem.

The next problem was 80119’s valve gear being fouled the platform edge of the island platform (Platform3).  After a lot of fiddling, I managed to cure the problem, only to find that 6417 was being derailed by the ramp on the other side of the island platform (Platform 4).  It had always been a bit tricky to get it right on both sides, but after removing the platforms and then restoring them for the video shoots, I had obviously set it off again.  That is one reason why I have bought a Metcalfe platform kit to try out.  By this time I needed a coffee, but the time for departure was getting closer, so I took my cup of coffee into the Train Shed and had a final go.  In the end, I cheated a bit by starting them in advanced positions.

Here you see 6417 with the branch passenger arriving at Platform 4 from the right.  Then, in the distance you see ‘Liverpool’ approaching at speed at the head of a DOWN intermediate passenger.  Finally, 80119 appears from the right with an UP local passenger to stop at Platform 3, as ‘Liverpool’ pulls into Platform 2.  After a short pause, ‘Liverpool’ departs followed by 6417 and then 80119.

Much later, when we arrived home, I went down to the Train Shed again but, after a decent lunch, I didn’t feel too much like any card kit work, so I laid some more ballast, this time working into the goods yard and bay platform (Platform 1).

Here’s a view from another angle.

Tomorrow, I hope to work on the tapered wall for the other side of the bridge.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1347 on: August 17, 2017, 07:49:26 pm »
Even in the steam age, few trains operated in fixed formations all year round, especially, branch goods trains. Market days saw added wagons and vans (e.g., cattle vans) plus an passenger coach added to local trains or or even an additional local train run. Summer timetables saw extra passenger trains and longer ones (although yours are already at their limits). I realise that that would complicate your schedules and it's entirely up to you.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1348 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:19 pm »
Actually, particularly in the steam age, there were virtually no fixed rakes of coaches, except for prestige trains such as the Caledonian and certainly no fixed rakes of goods wagons. Every train was marshaled by a station pilot or other shunting engine.  However, I have chosen to stick to fixed rakes, in the hope that the varied timetable will confuse all but the smartest onlooker.  I don't want to get into shunting and the only other option would be to have several copies of each loco, each with a different set of stock.  In the end, I want to create 'typical' trains that would have been seen running in the locality in the late 1950s.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1349 on: August 17, 2017, 08:33:37 pm »
I like your style Laurence all well thought out unlike my layout. I have not got a clue what I will be running, I have been gradually buying stock and loco's which I think would have been relevant to the period I am modeling. My intention is to change some of the loco's numbers to ones used in the Bury and Lancashire area. With not having has much room as you, I also have given myself the option for some shunting in the small goods yard at the station, so I should have plenty to keep me occupied.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here