!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 71895 times)

Chris in Prague, daveg and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1320 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:12 am »
I hope that you are both ok. Take things easy.

Good advice. You seem to be too busy to recover! Take some time out and tend to each other.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1321 on: August 13, 2017, 09:44:43 am »
I'm in Hobart with the Bealettes at the moment, and one of them has had a visit to the hospital today.

Even holidays can go askew!

Chin up, mate.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1322 on: August 13, 2017, 11:43:29 am »
I can only add my very best wishes and congratulations on your scenic work, Laurence. It takes me ages to do anything and anything I rush often turns out to be faulty.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1323 on: August 13, 2017, 09:09:34 pm »
First thing this morning, I concentrated on finishing the London Road Bridge.  I added the capping stones to the parapet on the branch side of the bridge and then constructed the parapet for the short section between the two bridges.

I think that I will need to remove the parapet on the left end, nearest the camera, because I want to add a feeder road from the bridge to the milk factory, houses, cottages and shops.  But that will have to wait until I start to put the scenic contours in place.

Later, I went back to the Train Shed and carried out some operational timetable running.  I had already run sub-cycles 1a and 1b, so I continued with sub-cycles 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4a and 4b.  I have been omitting the ‘C’ sub-cycles (1c and 2c) because they would leave trains in the station, which would make ballasting impossible.  Here’s a snapshot from 4b with 92006 disappearing under the London Road Bridge at the head of an UP perishables express freight while 9744 waits at Platform 2 with the short local passenger and 6417 stands at platform 4 with the branch passenger, waiting to depart for Shipton (note that the platforms have been removed in preparation for ballasting).

Finally, I managed a further section of ballasting, this time along the main towards the DOWN ends of the platforms.

Tomorrow, I hope to complete more ballasting. By the way, thanks for all your good wishes, we are both feeling much better today.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:10:49 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1324 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:22 pm »
Layout looking good there Laurence, pleased to hear you and your good lady a feeling a bit better. I can recomend the Metcalfe Tapered Retaining walls to match your over bridge, I made one for the last layout even managed to make it curved, more or less destroyed it though breaking up the layout.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1325 on: August 14, 2017, 06:41:41 am »
Layout looking good there Laurence, pleased to hear you and your good lady a feeling a bit better. I can recomend the Metcalfe Tapered Retaining walls to match your over bridge, I made one for the last layout even managed to make it curved, more or less destroyed it though breaking up the layout.
Thanks Chris

I have the tapered walls and high walls too.  I bought them to give me flexibility in planning the scenery.  I think I will put the tapered walls either side of the track on the station side of the bridge.  How did you curve them?  Can the grey card be bent easily?
With kind regards
Laurence

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1326 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:03 am »
The ballasting is looking very tidy - rather like your whole enterprise really!  :thumbsup:

The bridges are rather good too.

Chris I'm sure will provide his method of making the card walls curve but I would practice with offcuts, gently rolling around a jar or even better, an empty wine bottle.  ;) I guess it will depend on what size curve is needed. The trick will be to avoid any creasing.

It'll be interesting to see what you both come up with.

Dave G

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1327 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:57 am »
Pleased to hear that you are both getting better. Take it steady!!

Good work on the bridges.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1328 on: August 14, 2017, 08:08:30 am »
Pleased to hear that you are both getting better. Take it steady!!

Good work on the bridges.

Seconded. Although I'm not a fan of cardboard kits you have achieved excellent results with the ones you've used. The ballasting is very good, too.

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1329 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:44 am »
The ballasting is looking very tidy - rather like your whole enterprise really!  :thumbsup:

The bridges are rather good too.

Seconded!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1330 on: August 14, 2017, 01:22:06 pm »
Definitive History Continued

The Marton Creamery was built when tank wagons came into use on the AWR.  Before that, there was just a goods platform where milk churns were loaded from the road or arrived via the branch goods train from the two branch lines.  When originally built, the creamery simply transferred the milk from the churns into bulk tanks ready for transfer to tank wagons.  After a few years, a pasteurising plant was added and, later still, a cream separation plant was installed.  This resulted in both cream and milk being shipped out by tank wagons, while much of the skimmed milk was shipped along the Norton Branch and dumped in a disused quarry.  The rest was transported via tank wagons to London, where it was processed to produce condensed and evaporated milk, powdered milk and protein fibres.  During the war, a cheese making facility was added and Stoat Vale Cheese is shipped out via the local goods train to be marketed in the Home Counties.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:27:42 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1331 on: August 14, 2017, 08:06:25 pm »
First thing this morning, I hoovered up the loose ballast and cleaned the track, prior to testing.  Then I ran Forthampton Grange, with its seven-coach intermediate passenger train and 80119 with the six-coach local passenger to test the newly ballasted track.  There was no problem so, after a couple of laps, they were retired back to their starting loops.  I then started on a Metcalfe tapered retaining wall kit.  This will form the two sides of the approach to London Road Bridge from the station side.

Later, I managed to make some progress on the tapered wall and finished the first and second sections.  This is how they will look from the railway side (not the normal viewing side).

I have turned them round so that the ‘fronts’ can be seen.  This is how they will look in their final positions, although there will be a roadway covering the lower parts.

There will be a pillar between the two sections and further pillars to the right.  After a cup of tea, I then laid some more ballast.

You can see here that the main line has now been ballasted right up to the start of the island platform (Platforms 3 and 4).  Tomorrow I hope to make more progress on the tapered walls and start ballasting the goods yard.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1332 on: August 14, 2017, 08:10:08 pm »
Looking very good, Laurence. Thanks for the update.

Online Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1333 on: August 15, 2017, 08:37:24 pm »
First thing this morning, I hoovered up the loose ballast, cleaned the track and tested it with good old faithful Forthampton Grange and 80119.  The result was perfect operation, so I put them to bed and went back to the bridge, because I had neglected to add the road surface along the deck.  Unfortunately, I made a bit of a pig’s breakfast of cutting the pavement.  I had several goes and kept making mistakes.  In the end, I ran out of pavement card with kerb edges, so I may have to buy some more.  This was the final result when I gave up.

Later in the afternoon, I went back and did some more work on the tapered wall.  By the time we were ready for a cup of tea, I had made some more progress.

After a cup of tea, I did some more ballasting on the main line.  It has now reached as far as the points into the good depot, so I will be able to start on the goods yard tomorrow.

Then I returned to the tapered wall and managed to complete the first one.

Tomorrow, I will work on the one on the other side of the tracks after constructing a ramp for the roadway behind the existing one.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1334 on: August 15, 2017, 08:50:29 pm »
Looks very good. Not sure I could create such a perfect diagonal :-[

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31