!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Train Shed Project  (Read 58141 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
Re: The Train Shed Project
« Reply #1290 on: August 07, 2017, 08:18:13 pm »
Just wondering about the bits of wite that appear to go nowhere?
Anyway.......nice birds nest   :D
The 'bits of white' are actually RadioSpares 'chocolate block' barrier strip, connecting wires.  However, the wires may not be visible amongst all the other bundu.  It is true that some were disconnected when I relaid the track across the board joins, because I removed some of the redundant power feed rail joiners and replaced them with ordinary rail joiners
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1291 on: August 08, 2017, 06:38:16 am »
Back Story Continued…
Tuesday 08/08/61
Last night, the ring met in the back room of the Grange House Hotel and decided who would bid for what at the sale the following day.  The ‘Tregorrans’ explained that they usually had a card school in the room during the evening and invited the members of the ring to join them.  By the end of the evening the ‘Tregorrans’ seemed to have had all the luck and had made quite a tidy sum.  The ringmaster had lost heavily and was not best pleased.  First thing this morning, he had a quiet word with Sergeant Jeffrey about the two.  Although Sergeant Jeffrey knew that the ring was not strictly legal, his boss, Inspector Gibbons, was a good friend of the ringmaster and so he tended to turn a blind eye to the ring on the grounds that it made for good business for the many antique shops that abounded in the area.

Meanwhile, the Poldorys had decided that they would not buy anything from the ring, but just take their share of the dividend and then melt away into the background with a nice little profit.  In fact, they thought that it might be a good idea to investigate the idea of a ring in somewhere like St Austell, Truro or Redruth when they returned to Cornwall.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1292 on: August 08, 2017, 08:23:50 pm »
First thing this morning, I used the Dust Bug to clean up all the loose ballast and proceeded to test the track and points with 80119 and Cranmore Hall.  It should have been a simple test with the aid of a little track cleaning where required, but 80119 wasn’t having any of it.  The temperature in the Train Shed was only 16C this morning and, when it’s cold, 80119 needs a considerable amount of running to warm up.  So it turned out to be an unashamed tail chase for a while until 80119 was behaving itself again.  Then I switched the points and tested the turn outs with Cranmore Hall.  Fortunately, everything was OK.  I finished off by using the piece of grey card to shield the tie bars while I ballasted alongside them.

It rained a lot today.  By early afternoon we had been blessed with 16mm.  It has stopped for the moment, but more is forecast for tonight, so we could easily finish up with 25mm for the whole day.  This being the case, I spent quite a lot of time in the Train Shed.  First, I ballasted the remaining point from the goods loop and then a little on the main line opposite the point, followed by a length of the goods platform, with the aid of the piece of wood wrapped in Clingfilm.

I couldn’t do any more with the ballasting for a bit so I started on the first of the two bridges.  This is how far I had got before it was time for a cup of tea.

After tea, I went back to test the ballasting.  First, I used to Dust Bug to remove all the loose ballast.  Then, it was back to using 80119 and Cranmore Hall.  Everything went well until I diverted Cranmore Hall (at an appropriate speed) through the goods loop.  At the exit, it suddenly stopped, although it had not had a problem in this morning’s test.  I tried cleaning the track and had another go, with the same result.  At the third attempt, I noticed that there was a traction tyre off.  On inspection, I found that both were off.  Now, whether this was because I had moved it backwards to clean the track or not, I have no idea.  But I spent the next hour trying to refit the traction tyres, without success.  I managed it on Ditcheat Manor, but the Hall has less clearance between the splasher and the wheel.  Try as I might, I just couldn’t get it back on.  I tried removing the body, but I couldn’t get the boiler off.  I removed the front screw, but the back was held fast.  I believe you have to remove the boiler before the mechanism can be released from the frames. 

In the end, I removed the traction tyres and put them in my little box for a future attempt.  Cranmore Hall ran perfectly without the traction tyres, but one of the loco-tender connections had broken, so I will have to re-connect it.  In the end, what should have been a very good day turned out to be a bit disappointing.

PS.  It’s now raining again and we have had another 2.8mm so far.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1293 on: August 08, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »
Sorry to hear of your woes.
I do hope you manage to refit the tyre in due course. I often find that if I struggle with something, putting it down and coming back to it next day is generally a good idea.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1294 on: August 08, 2017, 08:36:58 pm »
Hi there Laurence, it seems strange you are having trouble with your 80119, I have the same loco and it is without doubt one of my best locos. I had trouble with my Black 5 with traction tyres, they kept coming off, I ended up buying new ones. I think it might have been caused by me pushing it or whatever when it would not run, it still does not run, its in my box waiting for a time when I have more paitence and I am not tempted to throw it through the loft window.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #1295 on: August 08, 2017, 09:21:59 pm »
Laurence, that certainly is very neat ballasting.

Sorry to hear of your woes.
I do hope you manage to refit the tyre in due course. I often find that if I struggle with something, putting it down and coming back to it next day is generally a good idea.

I could not agree more with this approach - and not just for model railways.

I hope you get the traction tyres fitted to the 'Hall' and that your 'Standard Tank' behaves itself.

All the very best.

John

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1296 on: August 08, 2017, 09:52:45 pm »
Just a note, folks, to say using a re-railer to get stock onto the track can cause traction tyres to come adrift.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1297 on: August 09, 2017, 06:36:00 am »
Back Story Continued…
Wednesday 09/08/61
Today we have to say goodbye to the Chelsea Girls as they set off on their holiday to Izaro.  They plan to stay overnight in London and then jet off early tomorrow morning.  They will catch the Intermediate passenger from Marton Hinmarche behind ‘Cranmore Hall’, which will get them to London in plenty of time to do some last-minute holiday shopping.

Last night saw the Poldory brothers rather sheepishly expelled from Marton Hinmarche.  After their win at cards, the previous evening, they stood in the ring after the auction and bought nothing, expecting their dividend at the end of the ring auction.  However, the ringmaster, who was already displeased with their win at cards, decided that enough was enough and that they were only there to make a quick profit.  So he refused to include them in the share out.  The two brothers were extremely annoyed and made all sorts of threats.  However, the good Sergeant Jeffrey was on hand, in the nick of time so to speak.  He gave them a gypsy’s warning that if there did not leave on the first train next day, he would lock them up for threatening behaviour and illegal betting (The term ‘gypsy’s warning’ comes from the fabled warning given by a gypsy fortune teller not to pick up a card which would bring bad luck).  So, when the Chelsea Girls arrive at the station and board the first-class accommodation at the front of the train, two rather disconsolate characters will be seen skulking at the other end of the platform, ready to board via the guard’s van, watched at a distance by Sergeant Jeffrey.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1298 on: August 09, 2017, 07:57:41 pm »
We had over 36mm of rain in 24 hours!  That makes 52mm for the month so far.  After a relatively dry winter and spring, the summer has proved a wet one so far.  Not as wet as 2012 and the contrast between the winter and summer are less this year (so far), but the pattern is similar.

First thing, I decided to do an electrical test on the crossover where the Hall failure occurred.  I found that the resistance between the switch blade and the fixed rail was too high.  This may be due to the resistance of the auxiliary switch on the PM1.  I had previously checked the voltage and it was OK, so I backed up Cranmore Hall, but it still stalled there.  Fortunately, several months ago, I had purchased a can of switch cleaner, so I sprayed the inside of the contacts and then wiped them with some kitchen roll.  That seemed to do the trick.  Cranmore Hall took the crossover without a problem.  It looks as though the original problem was because one of the wires connecting the tender had broken, so the only supply to the motor on that side was via the tender wheels.  When the tender became marooned on the isolated section the loco stopped.  Either the abrupt stop or the push back must have pulled off the traction tyres.

I found the instructions for the Hall and the rear of the cab unclips from the main frames.  However, the splashers are part of the main frame assembly, so removing the boiler and cab assembly is of no use in getting the traction tyres back on again.  So I will have to have another patient go at fitting them.  However, as Cranmore Hall pulls nine coaches and starts without any wheel spin minus its traction tyres, I don’t think it’s an urgent issue.  After the work on the points, I did a little more on the bridge, but we had a long outing today and I didn’t get back into the Train Shed when we returned.  I hope to make more progress with the ballasting and the bridge tomorrow.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1299 on: August 10, 2017, 06:37:35 am »
Back Story Concluded (for now…)
Thursday 10/08/61
The Chelsea Girls have gone and so have the Poldory Brothers.  So it is back to normal at Marton Hinmarche.  It is believed that Baron Tiverton has invited Lord Trevelver to Beresford Hall later in the year to a shooting party, so it is possible that there may be another visit from Cornwall to report in the Autumn. 
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1300 on: August 10, 2017, 06:42:07 pm »
Thank you, Laurence, for this interesting story about the "Chelsea Girls", who really enjoyed their holiday plus the infamous Poldory brothers.

Lord and Lady Trevelver are looking forward to their autumn visit. Whilst her husband enjoys hunting the local game, Lady Penelope will enjoy horseriding, country walking and browsing the antique shops for any bargains (fortunately she is very knowledgeable in her chosen areas of interest); as well as catching up on all the local gossip..

The visiting members of the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group (CLPG) plus their friends from the Cornish branches of the Great Western Society (GWS) also enjoyed their stay and were particularly impressed by the very wide variety of ex-'Big Four' steam locomotives to be sen in the area.

The model railways and promotional materials were all packed away in the now empty "Castle Brewery" SWB van which was added to the through coaches of the return special to North and West Cornwall. The "Chelsea Girls" and, unknown to them, the Poldorys, are travelling to Paddington where they will stay at the Trevelvers' Chelsea townhouse and enjoy the capital city's excellent shops. The brothers are not sure where in Cornwall to head for after their latest scrape with the Law, there.

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1301 on: August 10, 2017, 07:04:29 pm »
That is an excellent follow up to the adventures in Marton Hinmarche.  Lady Tiverton is looking forward to spending some quality time with Lady Penelope, with whom she has been good friends every since they were at school together.  Indeed, they were probably the equivalent of the Chelsea Girls in their day.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1302 on: August 10, 2017, 07:20:54 pm »
That is an excellent follow up to the adventures in Marton Hinmarche.  Lady Tiverton is looking forward to spending some quality time with Lady Penelope, with whom she has been good friends every since they were at school together.  Indeed, they were probably the equivalent of the Chelsea Girls in their day.

Thank you, Laurence. Yes, Lady Penelope and her good friend, Lady Tiverton, were indeed famous for their looks, wit, fashion-sense, and hordes of male admirers as debs. Sylvia owes much of her good looks and good business sense to her mother. At Malvern Girl's College, the two young ladies were renowned for their academic and sporting abilities as well as their ability to escape from the college without being caught. (Being next to Great Malvern station and on excellent terms with the admiring station staff and local railwaymen, both GWR and LMSR, helped them greatly.)

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1303 on: August 10, 2017, 08:10:05 pm »
First thing this morning, I decided to progress further with a second iteration of the operational timetable.  9744 behaved impeccably, as did Tiverton Castle.  But 6417 really struggled with stop after stop, which is something it had never done before.  I have decided that the temperature is a key factor in performance.  Even after several track cleaning operations, it was still a problem.  When I ran 80119, it was better, but Forthampton Grange was very much in pull-don’t pull-pull mood.  The temperature when I went in was less than 15C. 

Later I tried again and things were very much better.  By that time, the temperature in the Train Shed was 26C.  So it definitely seems to be a temperature-related problem.  After that, I finished ballasting the goods platform track.

You can see the difference between the left-hand ballast shoulder and the much tighter right-hand one adjacent to where the platform will be.  You can also see a nibble out of the left-hand shoulder to allow for the wall of the goods shed.  Then it was time for the traditional afternoon cup of tea.  After tea (cup of, not evening meal), I set to work on making more progress on the first bridge.

The second bridge will join onto the left-hand side of the first to take the road across the branch.  I haven’t made up my mind whether there will be a walled ramp taking the road up to the bridge from the station yard or whether the general terrain will rise enough to reach the level of the bridge.  All will become clear as I make further progress with the scenery.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Awards
« Reply #1304 on: August 11, 2017, 05:38:22 pm »
First thing this morning, I hoovered up the loose ballast, cleaned the track and then tested it with Forthampton Grange and 80119.  I also ran 6417 on the branch line.  The temperature was above 15C this morning, although not much more than that, but the locos behaved much better than yesterday morning.  It may be that not only temperature, but also recent running may have an effect.  They weren’t perfect at first, but quickly improved.

Then I pressed on with the bridge.  I finished the parapets ready to move onto the second bridge.  I will have to work out how to mate them together, but I expect I will be able to do so as I progress.

Later, in the afternoon, I was able to return to the Train Shed and started on the second bridge which crosses the Norton Branch.  By the time I had got to the point of adding the wing parapets, I was feeling a bit grotty.  I had a lot of sinus blockage in the night and I think I might have an infection.  Nothing serious, but I had had enough for one day.  Here’s the second bridge in its final position, together with the first, which crosses the Main line.

There is a small 20mm gap between them which will require me to doctor one of the wing walls to join the two bridges together.  I took a final picture of Forthampton Grange entering the station under the mainline bridge with a DOWN intermediate passenger and 6417 departing for Norton under the branch bridge.

I will have an early night and, hopefully, I’ll be back to normal in the morning. I may extend the ballast from the milk loop head shunt under the bridge, as though there had originally been another track, long since removed, to justify having a double track bridge.
With kind regards
Laurence

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here